PDA

View Full Version : WTF?????

flippy
04-23-2010, 10:28 PM
We seem to be drafting with "trade Santonio for a 5th" mentality.

Looking forward to the Tomlin/Colbert's explanation.

I hope we got 1. DirtII, 2. WoodleyII, and 3. Steve SmithII (the good one)

I feel like I'm watching us pick Trai Essex over and over and over and am waiting to hear how we gave all these guys a first round grade.

pfelix73
04-23-2010, 10:30 PM
I feel your pain. What grade you give them so far? I'm thinking like a C or C+.
:tt1

skyhawk
04-23-2010, 10:34 PM
Worilds will be a great addition to special teams immediately.

RuthlessBurgher
04-23-2010, 10:38 PM
Steve SmithII (the good one).

Which Steve Smith is the good one now?

The Giants' version had 107 catches for 1,220 yards and 7 TD's in 15 starts last year.

The Panthers' version had 65 catches for 982 yards and 7 TD's in 15 starts last year.

Just sayin'... :stirpot

Oviedo
04-23-2010, 10:39 PM
Depression based on the expert analysis of board members because none of "their guys" in "their need" positions have been picked. I've heard none of the commentators criticize the picks. They are falling all over themselves praising Pouncey, Worilds is being talked about like the second coming of Woodley and Harrison and a valuable asset to spell them this season and Sanders fills a critical need with the loss of Holmes and the aging of Hines.

I see no reason to feel this is a bad draft.

MeetJoeGreene
04-23-2010, 10:40 PM
These picks have really, really confounded me.

They must be comfortable with Lewis and Burnett.
They must be comfortable with Summers and Redman.
They must be comfortable with Hood and Sonny.
They must be comfortable with Urbik, Foster, Legursky and whoever they brought from Buffalo.

I hope they are right. Because each of the picks in the 2nd and 3rd appeared to suck a$$ to me.

AkronSteel
04-23-2010, 10:41 PM
Depression based on the expert analysis of board members because none of "their guys" in "their need" positions have been picked. I've heard none of the commentators criticize the picks. They are falling all over themselves praising Pouncey, Worilds is being talked about like the second coming of Woodley and Harrison and a valuable asset to spell them this season and Sanders fills a critical need with the loss of Holmes and the aging of Hines.

:Agree

I personally love all the picks!!!

Steel Life
04-23-2010, 10:43 PM
I am neither impressed nor dejected - but if we don't get a decent D-Lineman in the draft I'll flip out. I'm worried that Colbert's 2+3 poor drafting mat tag us again....

papillon
04-23-2010, 10:46 PM

Drafting special teams players in the second round? Umm, that's for guys hungry to earn a living in the NFL, not second round draft picks and the supposed 62nd best player in the draft.

Pappy

skyhawk
04-23-2010, 10:50 PM

Drafting special teams players in the second round? Umm, that's for guys hungry to earn a living in the NFL, not second round draft picks and the supposed 62nd best player in the draft.

Pappy

LOL. Trying to positive among all the doom and gloom. I just think it's good he won't be sitting on the bench in his rookie season as he develops into a starter.

Remember James Harrison earned his spot on the team as a special teams beast.

Snatch98
04-23-2010, 10:50 PM

Pappy

I'll be honest, this short sightedness is annoying. Obviously they didn't just draft the guy to play special teams. Troy came in as a high draft pick and made a name for himself as a special teams demon and then came in to his role the following season. Micheal Lombardi listed Worilds as his value pick for day 2 and other analysts have said similar. Just because you know sh.it about the guy doesn't make him a wasted pick. Mike Wallace is a prime example of this, a guy we knew next to nothing about that came out, busted his ass and produced on the field.

Shawn
04-23-2010, 10:52 PM

The main difference in Woodley and Worilds is the fact that Woodley actually produced in college. I watched alot of Woodley and he was absolutely dominant. Watch some of Worilds and ask yourself if he is even average.

I do trust our staff to pick linebackers...but I'm not encouraged so far. Hopefully, he has more than speed.

papillon
04-23-2010, 10:53 PM

I'm disappointed because the defense continues age at positions that are difficult to replace and the opportunity was there this year and they didn't take it. Defensive end and nose tackle are getting harder and harder to replace because more and more teams are going to the 3-4.

I keep hearing well what happens if Harrison or Woodley get hurt? Well, I might ask the following:

What if Hampton gets hurt? His replacement is older than him.
What if Ike gets hurt? Gay and Burnett on the corners? God help us
What if Troy gets hurt again? Mundy? Allen?
What if clark gets hurt? Mundy? Allen?
Farrior has lost a step, maybe two

Pappy

SS Laser
04-23-2010, 10:54 PM
When do 2nd rd rookies play olb in this crazy hard defence? :stirpot

Also I am fine if he is a DEMON on ST! We need it! For a yr or 2. ( got to learn the super hard defence!)
Hope Harrison can play at a high level for 2 yrs or more.

Oviedo
04-23-2010, 10:56 PM

Pappy

Have you forgotten how many games we have lost in recent years because of special teams? If a rookie is an outstanding special teams player then I'm all for it. Especially if he is on the defensive side of the ball because he isn't playing that much anyway for LeBeau

pittpete
04-23-2010, 10:56 PM

Ditto my man

These are guys the Steelers met with and targeted.
They are getting the guys they want in a deep draft
No way to tell till season starts..

How many of us were high-fiving when we stole Limas Sweed in the 2nd 2 years ago :2c

RuthlessBurgher
04-23-2010, 10:57 PM

Wasn't the mere thought of drafting Pouncey at #18 considered to be rock bottom to you a few short days ago? Now you see no reason to feel this is a bad draft? That's quite a change.

I don't have any problem with us picking a C, OLB, and WR with our first 3 picks (wouldn't have been my first choice, but I get it). It just seems like there were other, seemingly better options for us where we were picking in a deep draft. I acknowledge that the front office knows way more about these players than all of us schmoes combined, though, so will trust that they know what they are doing. Although I've had to raise an eyebrow on more than one occassion in this draft so far, I'll hope that all of these guys work out for us and blossom into tremendous players. Go Steelers.

:tt2 :tt1

Oviedo
04-23-2010, 11:01 PM

Wasn't the mere thought of drafting Pouncey at #18 considered to be rock bottom to you a few short days ago? Now you see no reason to feel this is a bad draft? That's quite a change.

I don't have any problem with us picking a C, OLB, and WR with our first 3 picks (wouldn't have been my first choice, but I get it). It just seems like there were other, seemingly better options for us where we were picking in a deep draft. I acknowledge that the front office knows way more about these players than all of us schmoes combined, though, so will trust that they know what they are doing. Although I've had to raise an eyebrow on more than one occassion in this draft so far, I'll hope that all of these guys work out for us and blossom into tremendous players. Go Steelers.

:tt2 :tt1

I'll trust the decisions of the guys who have met with and watched these guys first hand at workouts.

Yea, I didn't want Pouncey but when Iupati was taken he was the best interior OL left and they obviously felt they needed to fix in the interior. The commentators who are more expert than me have been falling all over themselves praising Pouncey. I have no issue putting my opinions and ego aside and trusting they know what they are talking about.

We got OL, LB and WR. All positions of need. That is what we should be doing in the first three rounds.

birtikidis
04-23-2010, 11:02 PM
I honestly don't know ANYTHING about these two guys, that's why I was surprised.. though, have to honest that I was out of the college football loop this year... I was hoping for tate or cody at our 2nd pick... 3rd wanted cam thomas.. guess this year, i'm off the mark.. but then.. i've gotten all my knowledge on NON Florida players here this year.

NW Steeler
04-23-2010, 11:46 PM

Pappy

LOL. Trying to positive among all the doom and gloom. I just think it's good he won't be sitting on the bench in his rookie season as he develops into a starter.

I was going to say almost the exact same thing. I'd prefer to hope for that instead of thinking he will be another Adibi, Jackson or Davis. Davis failed mostly because he was as strong physically as my sister. I don't think that is an issue with Worilds. I don't know why anyone is shocked, it was printed over a month ago that Tomlin was enamored with Worilds. I don't know where he was slotted for "value", but the Steelers tend to disregard that if they really like a player.

papillon
04-24-2010, 07:25 AM

Pappy

I was going to say almost the exact same thing. I'd prefer to hope for that instead of thinking he will be another Adibi, Jackson or Davis. Davis failed mostly because he was as strong physically as my sister. I don't think that is an issue with Worilds. I don't know why anyone is shocked, it was printed over a month ago that Tomlin was enamored with Worilds. I don't know where he was slotted for "value", but the Steelers tend to disregard that if they really like a player.

I don't believe Silverback was a second round draft choice either. He had to earn his way onto the team playing special teams or he would have been cut and playing for another team, oh wait, he was (twice). :tt2

Pappy

Pappy

flippy
04-24-2010, 07:52 AM
I feel your pain. What grade you give them so far? I'm thinking like a C or C+.
:tt1

I'm still gonna wait and see a couple years down the line and be hopeful, but I just don't feel excited about these picks thus far.

flippy
04-24-2010, 07:56 AM
Steve SmithII (the good one).

Which Steve Smith is the good one now?

The Giants' version had 107 catches for 1,220 yards and 7 TD's in 15 starts last year.

The Panthers' version had 65 catches for 982 yards and 7 TD's in 15 starts last year.

Just sayin'... :stirpot

The one with 65 catches still can't be covered. His problem was he had a QB with a ruined arm throwing to him. I see a lot of the Panthers down here and Jake D has nothing left. He's a shell of his former self.

flippy
04-24-2010, 08:05 AM
When the Vikings traded in front of us and took Gerhart and then we picked Worldis, I got this feeling we were unprepared and panicked and picked Worldis.

I dunno, maybe he'll be great. But we musta wanted Gerhart there, no?

Oviedo
04-24-2010, 08:08 AM
When the Vikings traded in front of us and took Gerhart and then we picked Worldis, I got this feeling we were unprepared and panicked and picked Worldis.

Do you really think they don't have a draft board and if one player gets picked they "panic." Come on now.

flippy
04-24-2010, 08:22 AM

Do you really think they don't have a draft board and if one player gets picked they "panic." Come on now.

No, I know they didn't. Just felt like it with the pick.