PDA

View Full Version : Pouncey plans to start for Steelers at guard

SteelCrazy
04-23-2010, 01:53 PM
Shortly after he was chosen with the 18th pick in the NFL draft, Maurkice Pouncey said he expects to be a Week One starter at guard.

"That's my plan," Pouncey said, per Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

One of the things the Steelers and other teams liked about Pouncey is that he's versatile enough to play either guard (where he was a starter for Florida as a freshman) or center (where he started his sophomore and junior years before leaving school for the draft). Pouncey may move to center in the future, but Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said he thinks Pouncey has a better chance of contributing as a rookie at guard.

"As a young guy coming in, it's probably easier coming in at guard," Tomlin said. "The guard is one who receives information rather than gives it. Hopefully, that eases his workload."

The 20-year-old Pouncey comes across as a likable young man who's just happy to be in the NFL.

"Man, it's so great," he said. "I'm so happy to be a Pittsburgh Steeler. I'm so happy they picked me. I just like the Steelers so much."

profootballtalk.com

NW Steeler
04-23-2010, 02:01 PM
A good, solid pick.... with a chance to actually start as a rookie? That would be great if he could start at RG from day one.

SteelCzar76
04-23-2010, 02:16 PM
Yeah,...because Tomlin's "Position flexible" guys have worked out so very well thus far,.... :lol:

NW Steeler
04-23-2010, 02:25 PM
Dude, that horse is dead. REALLY dead.

steelblood
04-23-2010, 05:19 PM
It is hard for a rook to come in and call all the blitz pickups at center. A year at RG may be what he needs. But, I'm not so sure he'll beat out Essex. And, I'd hope that Urbik shows something this year. RG may be the best battle of training camp.

ramblinjim
04-23-2010, 05:23 PM
Yeah,...because Tomlin's "Position flexible" guys have worked out so very well thus far,.... :lol:

I was waiting for Czar to say he was "as ordinary as a bowl of grits..." :mrgreen:

fezziwig
04-23-2010, 05:23 PM
Didn't we have Bredan Stai come in as a rookie and start his first season ? Man, there's a name/player that I forgot all about. I think he was a number one pick, wasn't he ?

hawaiiansteel
04-23-2010, 05:28 PM
Didn't we have Bredan Stai come in as a rookie and start his first season ? Man, there's a name/player that I forgot all about. I think he was a number one pick, wasn't he ?

Brendan Stai was drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers in the 3rd round (91st overall) of the 1995 NFL Draft.

fezziwig
04-24-2010, 07:53 PM
Thank You. It was our Tight End Brunner that was a number one pick that season and we went on to the Super bowl with two rookie starters on offense. That's how I remember it. Wasn't Stai that good because he didn't seem to stick around long ? Who was our offensive line then and maybe not Stai at all ?

Jugs, John Jackson, Dermonti Dawson, Newberry, ??????????

hawaiiansteel
04-24-2010, 08:06 PM
Thank You. It was our Tight End Brunner that was a number one pick that season and we went on to the Super bowl with two rookie starters on offense. That's how I remember it. Wasn't Stai that good because he didn't seem to stick around long ? Who was our offensive line then and maybe not Stai at all ?

was it Leon Searcy?

Shawn
04-24-2010, 08:36 PM

Yeah too bad we didn't draft Mays at 18. The FO should really consult you before they make any decisions.

Shawn
04-24-2010, 08:37 PM
It is hard for a rook to come in and call all the blitz pickups at center. A year at RG may be what he needs. But, I'm not so sure he'll beat out Essex. And, I'd hope that Urbik shows something this year. RG may be the best battle of training camp.

I believe he beats Essex from day 1.

fezziwig
04-24-2010, 08:39 PM

was it Leon Searcy?

Searcy already bolted to the Jags for mega millions at the end of the 94 season. Searcy was Cowhers first draftpick. Duvall Love is the guy I'm thinking about. I'll tell you what, " in the early to mid 90's are offensive lines were brutal on the defenses.

Steelerphile
04-25-2010, 02:00 PM

If he can't beat out Essex, he is a bad pick. Essex was one of the worst starting RGs in the NFL, according the grading system on ProFootBallFocus.

I think they should cut Essex personally. But Pouncey should beat him out with a blindfold on and his shoelaces tied together.

hawaiiansteel
04-25-2010, 02:11 PM
Dude, that horse is dead. REALLY dead.

http://stillernation.com/phpbb/images/smilies/deadhorse.gif

pfelix73
04-25-2010, 02:29 PM
Ah stats, you gotta love them. Where MSM when you need him.....Are you hiding on here under another name?
:tt1

RuthlessBurgher
04-26-2010, 03:33 PM

If he can't beat out Essex, he is a bad pick. Essex was one of the worst starting RGs in the NFL, according the grading system on ProFootBallFocus.

I think they should cut Essex personally. But Pouncey should beat him out with a blindfold on and his shoelaces tied together.

Essex is valuable because he can play every position along the o-line except for center. When you are only dressing 7 OL on gameday, having a guy like that at your dispsoal is important. Similarly, Legursky provides value as a back-up since he can play center or guard, just like Essex can play tackle or guard. Those two should be our primary gameday back-ups. But, Essex should not be a starter in this league except in case of injury. Hopefully Pouncey or Urbik or Ramon Foster or Chris Scott step up and take a strangehold on the RG spot.