Round 3: Torrell Troup, NT, 6'3", 315lbs

Lebsteel
04-23-2010, 11:39 AM
I'll stick with Sean Lee, LB and Darrell Stuckey, SS

phillyesq
04-23-2010, 12:09 PM
Round 2: Toby Gerhardt, RB, 6', 230lbs

I'm not a fan of Gerhardt in the second, but I'd be ok with Troup in the third. There are a lot of good players left on the board, and I think the Steelers can do a lot better than Gerhardt in round 2.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-23-2010, 12:17 PM
Round 2: Toby Gerhardt, RB, 6', 230lbs

I would be ok with both of them. You should move back in the 2nd and pick up a 3rd or 4th for Gerhardt. You might even be able to trade out of the 2nd for 2 (3's) and get Gerhardt if you move up in the 3rd with 1 or 2 5ths depending what 3rd you obtain.

After this offseason, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Steelers take the highest character guy at several positions. Meaning, scratching Blount of the Steelers board and taking the cleanest "white sheets & makes his bed" type of player at the RB position which is arguably Gerhardt. I'm thinking that Blount's incident has been questioned but is viewed in a different light.

papillon
04-23-2010, 12:19 PM
Sean Lee (2nd)
Torrell Troup (3rd)

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
04-23-2010, 12:45 PM
2.52 Brandon Ghee, CB, Wake Forest
3.82 Alex Carrington, DE, Arkansas State

Oviedo
04-23-2010, 12:47 PM
I' m sure they are many PSU fans like myself on this board. My question about Sean Less is: Do you really think he looked as good after coming back from the knee injury as before it? Sorry, but IMO he did not even look close like the same player.

steelblood
04-23-2010, 12:51 PM
I'd go with Dominique Franks or Bruce Campbell

Then, Alex Carrington or Brandon LaFell

NW Steeler
04-23-2010, 01:02 PM
What if one of the remaining "top" tackles are left? What then? I wouldn't be surprised to see us take another OL in the second, especially if we feel like the remaining DB's available aren't better than what we already have on the roster.

WoodleyofTroy
04-23-2010, 01:14 PM
2. Taylor Mays S USC
3. Brandon Spikes ILB Florida

NW Steeler
04-23-2010, 01:18 PM
Mays would definitely be interesting if he were to fall that far. I doubt that he does, however.

hawaiiansteel
04-23-2010, 01:19 PM
2. Taylor Mays S USC

if we traded down with our 2nd round draft choice, how many more 5th rounders could we get? :HeadBanger

NW Steeler
04-23-2010, 01:22 PM
2. Taylor Mays S USC

if we traded down with our 2nd round draft choice, how many more 5th rounders could we get? :HeadBanger

:nono
:lol:

I guess that line is never going to get old? Nice work!

feltdizz
04-23-2010, 01:27 PM
2: Mays USC
3: Mount Cody, Bama

NW Steeler
04-23-2010, 01:36 PM
Where would Mays play as a rookie? Nickel? Does he have the skill set for that? Could he be used as a hybrid LB/SS type on third downs? He would definitely be an intimidator on the field.

papillon
04-23-2010, 01:38 PM
Where would Mays play as a rookie? Nickel? Does he have the skill set for that? Could he be used as a hybrid LB/SS type on third downs? He would definitely be an intimidator on the field.

Behind one of the Steeler starters just like every other rookie... :HeadBanger :HeadBanger

Pappy

NW Steeler
04-23-2010, 01:43 PM
Good point.

WoodleyofTroy
04-23-2010, 01:45 PM
That's the thing. He wouldn't have the expectations like he would with a team without a Safety. They'd expect him to be the focal point of the Defense like an Ed Reed or Troy, all by himself. Meanwhile, here, he can learn from a guy from the same program, on and off field, at a mature pace.

You don't take that risk in the first round, but in the 2nd, that's striking gold. Black and Gold.

Remember, Polamalu only had 1 INT his last year at USC under Carroll.

Lebsteel
04-23-2010, 01:50 PM
I' m sure they are many PSU fans like myself on this board. My question about Sean Less is: Do you really think he looked as good after coming back from the knee injury as before it? Sorry, but IMO he did not even look close like the same player.
True, but my hope is that he is still recovering as evidenced by his combine numbers and pro day numbers.

NW Steeler
04-23-2010, 01:59 PM
That's the thing. He wouldn't have the expectations like he would with a team without a Safety. They'd expect him to be the focal point of the Defense like an Ed Reed or Troy, all by himself. Meanwhile, here, he can learn from a guy from the same program, on and off field, at a mature pace.

You don't take that risk in the first round, but in the 2nd, that's striking gold. Black and Gold.

Remember, Polamalu only had 1 INT his last year at USC under Carroll.

I think you are going to have to trade up to get him though. If he is there at #52, I would be pissed if we didn't take a chance on him.

flippy
04-23-2010, 02:07 PM
2. Bruce Campbell - We're never gonna have a shot at a tackle with his potential where we typically draft
3. AOA - We've gotta grab a corner, right? And we missed on Ricardo before, so maybe we should be due to hit with this guy

NW Steeler
04-23-2010, 02:11 PM
2. Bruce Campbell - We're never gonna have a shot at a tackle with his potential where we typically draft
3. AOA - We've gotta grab a corner, right? And we missed on Ricardo before, so maybe we should be due to hit with this guy

I agree that we could draft a T with our second round pick. I would like to see us draft someone that could actually contribute on D THIS year, and I think that Mays could do that with his "unique" skill set. I would not be upset with a tackle in the second round though.

SteelCzar76
04-23-2010, 02:14 PM
Pap you know i'm with you in regards to taking Taylor with our next pick.

But, as i said awhile back in the "Sinking Feeling" thread,....i think that team Chucklehead (Tomlin/Colbert) will continue to go the mom and pop route with the rest of the Draft. As they have indeed selected Pouncey in the first. (And the sad part is,.. it would have been worse had Mike "hold ya tight" Iupati still been on the board.)

With that said,..i'd like for them to select Taylor, Gerhart or Wootton in the second,...but it will probably be another "mom n pop, you will never go platinum" type of player like Ghee, Murphy or someone else that reeks of a "Position flexible grits" ( career backup quality) player that will not IMPROVE the team AT ALL.

flippy
04-23-2010, 02:16 PM

I agree that we could draft a T with our second round pick. I would like to see us draft someone that could actually contribute on D THIS year, and I think that Mays could do that with his "unique" skill set. I would not be upset with a tackle in the second round though.

I'm starting to think we might draft 10 OLinemen so we can run the ball and protect the QB.

I don't know if we'll have any picks that will contribute big this year outside of Pouncey.

hawaiiansteel
04-23-2010, 02:16 PM

But, as i said awhile back in the "Sinking Feeling" thread,....i think that team Chucklehead (Tomlin/Colbert) will continue to go the mom and pop route with the rest of the Draft. As they have indeed selected Pouncey in the first. (And the sad part is,.. it would have been worse had Mike "hold ya tight" Iupati still been on the board.)

With that said,..i'd like for them to select Taylor, Gerhart or Wootton in the second,...but it will probably be another "mom n pop, you will never go platinum" type of player like Ghee, Murphy or someone else that reeks of a "Position flexible grits" ( career backup quality) player that will not IMPROVE the team AT ALL.

i would be all for Corey Wootton in Round 2... :tt2

NW Steeler
04-23-2010, 02:20 PM
Czar....Isn't Taylor going to be considered position flexible? He will need to be if he is going to play for us. I would like to see him in round two as well. Your lack faith in the Tomlin/Colbert selection process is a bit confusing. Maybe if they do draft Mays you will come around a bit.

Pouncey was a good pick. We have definite need at G and C. That gives us a year to figure out if Urbik can actually play RG at this level before Pouncey moves to C. I don't think there were any players available that made more sense than he did, no matter how "platinum" they were.

SteelCzar76
04-23-2010, 02:33 PM

I would as well Hawaiin,..but i am not expecting it in light of our current regime. :lol:

By the way,...i am on the hunt,.. as a bet is bet. (Chocolate covered Macadamia game) I'll hit you up via PM to get a PO box address or something of that nature. :Cheers

SteelCzar76
04-23-2010, 02:52 PM
Czar....Isn't Taylor going to be considered position flexible? He will need to be if he is going to play for us. I would like to see him in round two as well. Your lack faith in the Tomlin/Colbert selection process is a bit confusing. Maybe if they do draft Mays you will come around a bit.

Pouncey was a good pick. We have definite need at G and C. That gives us a year to figure out if Urbik can actually play RG at this level before Pouncey moves to C. I don't think there were any players available that made more sense than he did, no matter how "platinum" they were.

I dig what you are saying about Taylor having to be flexible in terms of being able to play both safety positions NW.

However,...he IMO will actually go on to be an impact player at league level as opposed to guys whom the only true strength of their skill set is "Flexibility". (Which IMO denotes league level mediocrity in the best case scenario or absolute bust at worst.)

Again,..i do not feel as though we are IMPROVING as a football team via the Draft anymore. Colbert as directed by Tomlin (as he was directed by Coach Cowher) is simply drafting depth quality players that will HOPEFULLY overachieve and become starters in almost every single round.

WoodleyofTroy
04-23-2010, 03:34 PM
I think Mays does fit that Tomlin/Colbert mold you're referring to. That's why he could be the pick.

And can anyone say Special Teams?

hawaiiansteel
04-23-2010, 03:42 PM

I would as well Hawaiin,..but i am not expecting it in light of our current regime. :lol:

By the way,...i am on the hunt,.. as a bet is bet. (Chocolate covered Macadamia game) I'll hit you up via PM to get a PO box address or something of that nature. :Cheers

You are a man of your word! :Cheers

it doesn't have to be chocolate macadamias, i might even prefer something edible that is unique to the area you live in.

NW Steeler
04-23-2010, 04:06 PM
Mays won't make it past Philly. If we want him we would have to trade to the top of the round.

Czar, I see your point as well. Although I feel that our first round picks have been pretty solid. The jury is still out on Ziggy, and we all have differing opinions on Timmons. Given where we have been slotted in the draft the last four years, I think Tomlin/Colbert have done a pretty good job at the top of the draft. I am a little concerned about our mid round picks not working out. That was something we used to be good at.

pittpete
04-23-2010, 05:16 PM
Id like to think we grab the next best WR.
We signed Battle & Allen to fill out our ST coverages I thought.

Anyone think Jordan Shipley can be a Hines Ward replacement?
Fearless over the middle and a very strong blocker according to some scouts.
Not saying we take Shipley 2nd round but what round will he last till?

NW Steeler
04-23-2010, 06:39 PM
Well Mays DID make it past Philly...do we have a shot?

Shoe
04-23-2010, 08:40 PM
Since we are into the 3rd, CAN WE FINALLY ADDRESS THE NEED AT CB? I can't stand to watch Gay get beat left & right another year, and Ike Manos De Piedra Duran bouncing balls off his hands every game. Get the African name guy from Indiana (Pa).

RuthlessBurgher
04-23-2010, 08:59 PM
Since we are into the 3rd, CAN WE FINALLY ADDRESS THE NEED AT CB? I can't stand to watch Gay get beat left & right another year, and Ike Manos De Piedra Duran bouncing balls off his hands every game. Get the African name guy from Indiana (Pa).

That would be Akwasi "Born on Sunday" Owusu-Ansah. Sounds like an Irish name to me. :wink: