PDA

View Full Version : why is there so much hate for Tebow??

JTP53609
04-23-2010, 08:26 AM
I don't understand it, on other message boards it appears that Tebow is a terrorist, why do so many people hate the kid, I just don't get how so many people can jump on a 22 year old kid and call him horrible things, I understand ESPN loves him and they talk about him alot, which can get tiresome, but so what....He is a winner, he stays out of trouble and he may be a little cheesy at times, but why hate someone that talks about hard work and dedication....please explain if you can...

Mister Pittsburgh
04-23-2010, 08:32 AM
I don't understand it, on other message boards it appears that Tebow is a terrorist, why do so many people hate the kid, I just don't get how so many people can jump on a 22 year old kid and call him horrible things, I understand ESPN loves him and they talk about him alot, which can get tiresome, but so what....He is a winner, he stays out of trouble and he may be a little cheesy at times, but why hate someone that talks about hard work and dedication....please explain if you can...

Just my guess but what is wrong with Tebow is the same thing that is wrong with the kid in college that sits at a computer doing a report or studying on a Saturday night when there are 20 hot chicks ready to party in the next room. Due to his religious beliefs and the way he has been presented by the media to mainstream America, I would guess it is widely believed he is what you refer to as 'A Goody-Two-Shoes'. People don't like a goody-two-shoes because whether the goody-two-shoes actually thinks this way or not, people tend to think that person thinks they are better than everyone else. Tebow is your classic 'Brown Noser'. The kid that would do extra credit even though he had an A in the class already. The kid your parents and all your friends parents love and say you should hang out with cause he is a good influence even though when you go to sleep over at his house him and his family have band equipment set up in the living room and they sing hyms and hold hands. Basically Tebow is your classic dweeb in a very athletic body.

:lol:

MaxAMillion
04-23-2010, 08:39 AM

You say they talk about him a lot but so what...well a lot of people get tired of the hero worship. You obviously do not get bothered by it. It sounds like you know the answer to the question, but you don't agree with it.

My dislike for Tebow mania started when CBS decided to go into a sermon explaining why he had bible passages on his cheeks. Verne Lunquist quoted the bible passage explaining that fans deserved to know it, then came back from commercial apologizing for getting the verse wrong and then going into a second bible verse. I felt like I was in church. Is Tebow the only person who believes in God? Is he the only one who does good works? I am not comfortable with hero worship for anyone or any team. Hero worship actually goes against religious teachings if you think about it.

flippy
04-23-2010, 08:46 AM
I think it's because he doesn't have the tools to be an NFL QB.

His hype is ridiculous.

Who cares how hard he works if he just can't play the position physically.

He seems like a nice kid and all, but the hype makes him irritating.

If there were no hype, he'd be fine.

NWNewell
04-23-2010, 08:47 AM

Just my guess but what is wrong with Tebow is the same thing that is wrong with the kid in college that sits at a computer doing a report or studying on a Saturday night when there are 20 hot chicks ready to party in the next room. Due to his religious beliefs and the way he has been presented by the media to mainstream America, I would guess it is widely believed he is what you refer to as 'A Goody-Two-Shoes'. People don't like a goody-two-shoes because whether the goody-two-shoes actually thinks this way or not, people tend to think that person thinks they are better than everyone else. Tebow is your classic 'Brown Noser'. The kid that would do extra credit even though he had an A in the class already. The kid all your parents friends love and say you should hang out with.

:lol:

I almost agree. It is because he is a goodie-to-shoe. But it's not because the feel he looks down on others. That's the excuse they may give you. But it's really because people don't like the idea of someone being better than they are.... especially when most people don't identify with him, be it a devoted religious person who doesn't party and prioritizes his studies and his commitments over over instant gradification and self induldgence, or be it the the kid in college that sits at a computer doing a report or studying on a Saturday night.... and when it's their heart and dedication that bring them success. Lets face it, that is not the majority of Americans.

Pick your stereo-type "misery loves company", "only thing people like better than a hero is seeing them fall", etc, etc....

People are cynical! Believe it.

Personally, I have no problem with him. I couldn't be happier seeing a good kid succeed. I have my reservations about him being a successful pro-style QB. But with his intelligence, work ethic, and defecation, he may persevere. I'm rooting FOR him, not against him (specially since he wasn't picked up by a team in our division... lol)

SteelAbility
04-23-2010, 08:49 AM
A number of reasons ...

- Too much media attention (get sick of it)
- His girlfriend is way hotter than their girlfriends (jealousy)
- A character guy unwittingly exposes lack of character
- Not a prototypical QB
- People hate UF for their dominance in recent years
- He's a bit cheesy, let's face it (but he can also think on his feet in interviews)
- He's a bit too positive (it has the sensation of wearing mega rose colored glasses and it can be annoying)
- People take it too seriously

Personally I like him. I don't think he'll be great, but I do think he'll be good. Will he live up to a late 1st pick? I'll give it about a 30% chance.

JTP53609
04-23-2010, 10:11 AM
I honestly have no like or dislike for him, just dont know why he is hated so much by people....it is similar to the hate that crosby gets in hockey, just makes you scratch your head and say whatever, to say he sucks is not fair because he has won 2 ntl championships and is considered one of the best college football players of all time, regardless of how he plays in the pros, I honestly think he will not be that great in the pros, but I wish him success

Sugar
04-23-2010, 10:27 AM
I like the guy. Don't get me wrong, I didn't want to draft him or anything. He may be good or not in the NFL, I don't really care because I'm not a Donkeys fan. There seems to be a lot to admire about him and some people are just averse to that. I'm sure that there are many who circle like buzzards waiting for him to fall in some way.

That said, I can see him eventually getting a gig with College Football Saturday and then in politics of some kind.

Oviedo
04-23-2010, 10:31 AM
Because a guy like Tebow who has values and openly lives those values makes other people question their own. It is therefore easier for them to attack him versus look at themselves as possibly flawed.

proudpittsburgher
04-23-2010, 10:44 AM

You say they talk about him a lot but so what...well a lot of people get tired of the hero worship. You obviously do not get bothered by it. It sounds like you know the answer to the question, but you don't agree with it.

My dislike for Tebow mania started when CBS decided to go into a sermon explaining why he had bible passages on his cheeks. Verne Lunquist quoted the bible passage explaining that fans deserved to know it, then came back from commercial apologizing for getting the verse wrong and then going into a second bible verse. I felt like I was in church. Is Tebow the only person who believes in God? Is he the only one who does good works? I am not comfortable with hero worship for anyone or any team. Hero worship actually goes against religious teachings if you think about it.

So, it appears you should have some hatred for Vern Lundquist, not Tim Tebow. And do you have a problem with reggie bush for the 619 on his eyeblack? Seriously, why can't people just agree to disagree? So you don't believe in the same things Tebow does . . . why hate him for it? And this is not necessarily directed to you, Max, but those who have chosen to hate Tim Tebow for the fact that the networks have decided to cover him ad nauseum.

JTP53609
04-23-2010, 10:58 AM
I consider myself a big sports fan, but over the past few months, I have not watched sportscenter in the mornings like I usually do, I dont listen to Mike and Mike like how I used to and I really don't care much for stuff outside the Steelers, Penguins and Pirates. Anytime you turn on espn it seems there is another criminal being blown up in one of the sports, more negative attention, arrogance and all around bad behavior, we see how many people have been upset with santonio and ben over the last year, and now there is a college football player who stays out of trouble, wins games, says all the right things, stays in school for 4 years and GRADUATES, changes his overall throwing motion because coaches are advising him to (how many 2 time national champions would eat their pride and change the main part of their game) and he is being hated on by so many people because he smiles and has manners, I just dont get it...I know I am speaking in circles now, it just really confuses me why he his hated so much for doing the right things...

phillyesq
04-23-2010, 11:09 AM
I like Tebow. He seems like a nice, very positive kid. Based on personality alone, it would be a lot easier to root for him than a thug like Santonio. He seems to have a strong sense of values, and he stands up for them, which takes courage.

I rarely watch ESPN, so I miss out on a lot of the media hype. I don't know if he'll be successful or not, but he is the type of person that is easy to root for.

Notleadpoisoned
04-23-2010, 11:16 AM
I think that younger people and those on the left seem to hate him for very juvenile reasons. Now if you're a grown man and Tebow is old enough to be your son and you still hate him then you're probably just a miserable old drunk whose life is completely worthless.

Oviedo
04-23-2010, 11:21 AM
I think that younger people and those on the left seem to hate him for very juvenile reasons. Now if you're a grown man and Tebow is old enough to be your son and you still hate him then you're probably just a miserable old drunk whose life is completely worthless.

...a miserable old drunk who probably has situational morals and hate that a 22 year old is a better person than you could ever be. It is hard to be on the straight and narrow.

Djfan
04-23-2010, 11:40 AM
I have to say that I really have enjoyed this thread. Thanks guys.

cruzer8
04-23-2010, 11:55 AM
I don't hate him. I hate the Broncos for giving our most bitter rival all those picks to move up and get him though.

I don't think he'll be a very good NFL QB, but I don't hate him.

BradshawsHairdresser
04-23-2010, 11:56 AM
Because a guy like Tebow who has values and openly lives those values makes other people question their own. It is therefore easier for them to attack him versus look at themselves as possibly flawed.
:Agree

Steel Life
04-23-2010, 11:58 AM
I'll stay out of the religious aspect, though Tom Brenneman's rapturous glorification of him ("If you are fortunate enough to spend five minutes around Tim Tebow, your life is better for it.") was enough to trigger a gag-reflex & the cameras focusing on his crying was eye-rolling.

Instead I'll suggest other reasons, the first being that most people don't like things being forced on them & the "Tebites" are relentless in pushing him. This also has some correlation to the rampant string of Heisman QBs who are trumpeted as great players & then flop in the pros. Second, the constant trumpeting of his "work ethic" making him better than others demeans the work that other players put into their game - in other words, Tebow isn't the first guy with an excellent work ethic, attitude or intangibles...so stop acting like he is. Third, I think he's a throwback of sorts to the "golden-age" of college football when the players were presented as squeaky-clean, clean shaven with crew-cuts & the rah-rah..."let's get 'em boys aspect just doesn't go down easy with a cynical public. He's too clean, too goody-two shoes to be believed & he's needs to tone it down to stifle the angst against him.

All this said...I still think Denver made a HUGE mistake in drafting him. Aside from the 1st-round contract they'll have dole out, but to give up three draft picks is WAY too much for a guy who has to learn how to be a pro-level QB & will be your 3rd-string QB - McDaniels is insane.

feltdizz
04-23-2010, 11:59 AM
"McNabb, Brady, Elway, Brees and Big Ben never had the stats Teow had in college and look how they turned out" comments like this are why people hate Tebow's fans.

"I live in Florida so I know what Tebow can do" is the HD better in Florida?

"He is a winner" who doesn't win at Florida?

"He works so hard" while everyone hardly works.

Sam Bradford went number 1 and Tebow is the ESPN cover story. It's like when Cutler was getting tons of praise when Ben was winning SB's... people get tired of the talk about Tebow when it's clear he is a work in progress.

The guy had 8 TD's and 5 INTs as a passer in the SEC last year. He has mechanical issues that are prime for stripping the ball... everyone talked about it and he goes out and gets stripped twice in the Senior Bowl. He then changes his mechanics for his pro day and he is somehow praised for working on this.... it's crazy because at no time in the practices and scout talk before the Senior bowl did he change or improve his mechanics but since he did it in shorts and with no defenders at his pro day he is somehow this spectacular spongue who works so hard.

I just don't see him panning out and in a game where most players don't pan out why is it crazy or hate to doubt Tebow?

proudpittsburgher
04-23-2010, 12:12 PM
"McNabb, Brady, Elway, Brees and Big Ben never had the stats Teow had in college and look how they turned out" comments like this are why people hate Tebow's fans.

Sam Bradford went number 1 and Tebow is the ESPN cover story. It's like when Cutler was getting tons of praise when Ben was winning SB's... people get tired of the talk about Tebow when it's clear he is a work in progress.

The guy had 8 TD's and 5 INTs as a passer in the SEC last year. He has mechanical issues that are prime for stripping the ball... everyone talked about it and he goes out and gets stripped twice in the Senior Bowl. He then changes his mechanics for his pro day and he is somehow praised for working on this.... it's crazy because at no time in the practices and scout talk before the Senior bowl did he change or improve his mechanics but since he did it in shorts and with no defenders at his pro day he is somehow this spectacular spongue who works so hard.

I just don't see him panning out and in a game where most players don't pan out why is it crazy or hate to doubt Tebow?

I totally understand why you doubt him, that's not at issue. But why the hate. Again, it sounds like you dislike him because of the media attention, which he has no control over.

feltdizz
04-23-2010, 12:14 PM

that is stupid.

This is the problem with his fans... they try to use his religion or morals as a shield so no one can knock his game. Who cares what he believes in. If he was a Muslim and wore iron his sleeve he wouldn't even be in the league.

This is no different then those who called people unamerican for not liking W's policies but the next guy was a terrorist fascist Marxist because he didn't wear a flag pin... or anyone who dislikes Obama over his policies is "racist"

No one hates his religon... we hate how anyone who dislikes the Tebow hype is framed as a hater of religion. Talk about stackingthe deck...

Djfan
04-23-2010, 12:19 PM
No one hates his religon... we hate how anyone who dislikes the Tebow hype is framed as a hater of religion. Talk about stackingthe deck...

I haven't heard any of that, but would be against it if I saw it.

feltdizz
04-23-2010, 12:24 PM
Proudpitt you said it best. I dislike the hype... but as a person I have no idea who Tebow is so how can I hate him? No one can hate Tebow unless they know him personally.

People hate Romo, Ocho, TO etc. but they hate the player not the person in general because they haven't met and had enough convo to hate them.

it's the media whoring of Tebow...

proudpittsburgher
04-23-2010, 12:32 PM
Proudpitt you said it best. I dislike the hype... but as a person I have no idea who Tebow is so how can I hate him? No one can hate Tebow unless they know him personally.

People hate Romo, Ocho, TO etc. but they hate the player not the person in general because they haven't met and had enough convo to hate them.

it's the media whoring of Tebow...

You could make an argument that it is a brilliant marketing ploy by the Tebow camp. Build up a supreme hatred of the guy through extreem media attention, only to turn him into a darkhorse who people like me want to succeed, if for no other reason than to piss off the haters. Man, this whole trade ben or don't trade ben thing has me thinking everything is a well-planned-out conspiracy. :tt2

JTP53609
04-23-2010, 12:34 PM

I totally understand why you doubt him, that's not at issue. But why the hate. Again, it sounds like you dislike him because of the media attention, which he has no control over.

see thats it right there, good point, it is the media, the media loves hyping things up and people get sick of it, like a 3 hour program over the schedule release, or those stories of players that have turned thier lives around after being arrested 3 times, the media is the problem, hate that, dont hate a kid that actually stays out of trouble and who goes to Nicaragua to lend a helping hand..

feltdizz
04-23-2010, 12:39 PM

see thats it right there, good point, it is the media, the media loves hyping things up and people get sick of it, like a 3 hour program over the schedule release, or those stories of players that have turned thier lives around after being arrested 3 times, the media is the problem, hate that, dont hate a kid that actually stays out of trouble and who goes to Nicaragua to lend a helping hand..

doubting his football skills isn't hate though...

who said "die Tebow die" or "I hope Tebow gets hit by a bus" that is hate.

saying Tebow won't succeed in the NFL or hating the hype of Tebow isn't HATING Tebow.

I guess my question to you guys is "why do Tebow fans think doubting his skills is hate?"

feltdizz
04-23-2010, 12:40 PM

I haven't heard any of that, but would be against it if I saw it.

I know ESPN is full of crazies but go to the message board on Tebow and see some of the stupidity being spouted by his fans.

It's not even realistic defense for his skills most of the time.

Slapstick
04-23-2010, 12:46 PM
Tebow has no more control over his positive media hype than Ben has over his negative media hype...

There is no doubt that Tebow is a special person...I can't stand the Florida Gators, but I can certainly admit that...

Personally, I don't pay attention to the sensationalized sports media for the most part...

NWNewell
04-23-2010, 12:54 PM

:Agree You summed up my statement above much more efficiently that I did. :Cheers

Oviedo
04-23-2010, 01:03 PM

that is stupid.

This is the problem with his fans... they try to use his religion or morals as a shield so no one can knock his game. Who cares what he believes in. If he was a Muslim and wore iron his sleeve he wouldn't even be in the league.

This is no different then those who called people unamerican for not liking W's policies but the next guy was a terrorist fascist Marxist because he didn't wear a flag pin... or anyone who dislikes Obama over his policies is "racist"

Who mentioned religion? I don't recall saying anything about religion. You brought that up. Sensitive area with you?

My statements were about his behavior and how he acts.

feltdizz
04-23-2010, 01:04 PM
Tebow has no more control over his positive media hype than Ben has over his negative media hype...

There is no doubt that Tebow is a special person...I can't stand the Florida Gators, but I can certainly admit that...

Personally, I don't pay attention to the sensationalized sports media for the most part...

Special in what sense? Ghandi, MLK special or decent football player who's parents raised him well?

I'm not knocking his charity but those who know Tebow is special.. please tell me why if it's not the media trumping him up.

There are a ton of guys in college who are doing great work and are good players but the media chose Tebow as the face of it all.

Also remember those bible verses he wrote are now banned by the NCAA because God forbid(sarcasm) another great talent does the same next year.

feltdizz
04-23-2010, 01:18 PM

that is stupid.

This is the problem with his fans... they try to use his morals as a shield so no one can knock his game. Who cares what he believes in. If he was AN ANARCHIST and wore IT ON his sleeve he wouldn't even be in the league.

No one hates his MORALS... we hate how anyone who dislikes the Tebow hype is framed as a hater of HIS MORALS. Talk about stacking the deck...

Who mentioned religion? I don't recall saying anything about religion. You brought that up. Sensitive area with you?

My statements were about his behavior and how he acts.

Here you go then :wink:

Leaving it out my opinion still stands...

his morals do not cause anyone to look at their own acts because we rarely watch his morals... we watch football games.

I guess my problem with his fans is... if you aren't for Tebow you are against morality and all that is good.

hawaiiansteel
04-23-2010, 01:22 PM
what do you mean, i love everything about Tim Tebow!

http://www.showbizgossips.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/tim_tebow.jpg

feltdizz
04-23-2010, 01:25 PM
what do you mean, i love everything about Tim Tebow!

http://www.showbizgossips.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/tim_tebow.jpg

The best part of his game. :shock: :shock: :shock:

This is why McDaniels moved up...

JTP53609
04-23-2010, 01:47 PM
that suit is wayy to small up top, her left boob looks like it is ready to destroy that little piece holding it...i like tebow even more...

feltdizz
04-23-2010, 02:20 PM
that suit is wayy to small up top, her left boob looks like it is ready to destroy that little piece holding it...i like tebow even more...

It's perfect..

I see no nip so it does the job perfectly and boobs are like.. well they aren't like anything else but one is always larger than the other.. trust me, I'm an expert.

hawaiiansteel
04-23-2010, 02:46 PM

another way of looking at it is that the suit is the perfect size but something else may be too large, i mean just right? :Boobs

Slapstick
04-23-2010, 03:11 PM
Special in what sense? Ghandi, MLK special or decent football player who's parents raised him well?

I'm not knocking his charity but those who know Tebow is special.. please tell me why if it's not the media trumping him up.

There are a ton of guys in college who are doing great work and are good players but the media chose Tebow as the face of it all.

Also remember those bible verses he wrote are now banned by the NCAA because God forbid(sarcasm) another great talent does the same next year.

There aren't a ton of players like Tim Tebow...if there were, he would receive no media hype because players like him would be de rigueur...

There are not many players who match his production and leadership on the field with the character he has off of it...

Our QB doesn't...

papillon
04-23-2010, 03:15 PM

There aren't a ton of players like Tim Tebow...if there were, he would receive no media hype because players like him would be de rigueur...

There are not many players who match his production and leadership on the field with the character he has off of it...

Our QB doesn't...

As Meatloaf said, "2 out of 3 ain't bad..." :P :tt2

Pappy

SteelCzar76
04-23-2010, 03:20 PM
I am not counting Tebow out at all under Mcdaniels tutelage. Especially when one takes into consideration that Orton is their current starter.

hawaiiansteel
04-23-2010, 03:32 PM
I am not counting Tebow out at all under Mcdaniels tutelage. Especially when one takes into consideration that Orton is their current starter.

don't forget about Brady Quinn, the current #2 behind Orton... :roll:

feltdizz
04-23-2010, 04:45 PM

Orton can throw short passes though and has had some limited success in Chicago.

Quinn and Tebow with Orton has the vet? I don't see it.

This seems like another McDaniels EGO move... he knows Tebow will get them major press but I think this will be his demise. He gave up 3 picks to get a guy he could have had in the 2nd or 3rd.