PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger faces battery of tests

fordfixer
04-23-2010, 01:45 AM
Roethlisberger faces battery of tests
Interviews would be used to assess his personality, determine course of treatment
Friday, April 23, 2010
By Michael A. Fuoco, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10113/1052700-66.stm

Embattled Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will undergo a series of interviews and psychological testing to assess his personality traits, cognitive abilities and neuropsychological fitness as part of a comprehensive behavioral evaluation ordered Wednesday by National Football League Commissioner Roger Goodell.

The goal is to determine the extent to which Mr. Roethlisberger's violation of the league's Personal Conduct Policy during a night of bar-hopping in Milledgeville, Ga., was attributable to some underlying psychological, behavioral or neuropsychological disorder, and to map out a plan for intervention, psychologists say.

Whether a positive change occurs will primarily depend upon Mr. Roethlisberger because, like any other person undergoing such an evaluation and treatment, he must commit himself to the process, said John F. Murray, a licensed clinical and sports psychologist in Palm Beach, Fla.

"If you close your mind to it, you are not going to have any ability to make changes," said Dr. Murray, who is not involved in Mr. Roethlisberger's evaluation but has had professional athletes as clients. "The client has to make a commitment. No one can treat someone who is passive, who says, 'Fix me, doctor.' "

Dr. Murray said sometimes clients ordered to undergo evaluations by the courts or businesses, as opposed to seeking help themselves, are initially reluctant to comply with treatment. But, he said, "If you're a good clinician and the client isn't a jerk," the process works "because they see you are trying to help them help themselves" to avoid further professional and personal decline.

Successful completion of the evaluation and therapy is key to Mr. Roethlisberger's return to the football field. Until then, he will not be able to participate in any team activity. And only then will he begin his suspension for six regular season games. Mr. Goodell said he would consider reducing the suspension to four games depending upon the quarterback's progress in dealing with what he described as disturbing behavior.

Mr. Roethlisberger was accused of raping a drunken 20-year-old woman in a club bathroom, but Georgia authorities said they would not prosecute because they could not prove beyond a reasonable doubt the felony had been committed. Nevertheless, Mr. Goodell said Mr. Roethlisberger violated the league's conduct policy by buying alcohol for that woman and other underage women.

"Your conduct raises sufficient concerns that I believe effective intervention now is the best step for your personal and professional welfare," Mr. Goodell wrote in the letter to Mr. Roethlisberger announcing the discipline.

"I believe it is essential that you take full advantage of the resources available to you. My ultimate disposition in this matter will be influenced by the extent to which you do so, what you learn as a result, and a demonstrated commitment to making positive change in your life."

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said medical professionals retained by the league would perform the evaluation. The NFL will have full access to the findings and recommendations in order to determine Mr. Roethlisberger's compliance.

Dr. Murray said there was no standard behavioral evaluation that psychologists and psychiatrists utilize. Depending upon the professional evaluator, different tests may be utilized and different approaches may be taken. Despite all of that variance and regardless of who was doing the testing, he said, the end result would likely be the same.

"You could have five people taking five different approaches, but I would bet money if you read those five reports there would be a pretty solid concurrence of findings," he said.

Generally speaking, he said, the evaluation process would begin with an interview of an hour or two.

"There will be questions about developmental history, about problems in the past and how he's dealt with difficult situations like he has been engaged in recently."

During the process, "they also will be keenly observing his behavior, how he responds to different inquiries, his overall demeanor, what his overall status is like. How is his memory? Is his speech fast or slow, with affect or without affect, with emotion? Is this a person with any indication of thought disorder?"

He said neuropsychological testing would probably be used to determine if there was any damage to Mr. Roethlisberger's frontal lobe, known as a human's emotional control center, because, among other functions, it controls judgment, impulse control and social and sexual behavior. Such testing would be apropos given Mr. Roethlisberger's 2006 motorcycle accident when he wasn't wearing a helmet, concussions he has suffered during his playing days and allegations of his behavior in Georgia.

Additionally, as part of the "psychosocial evaluation," the professionals would seek to determine if Mr. Roethlisberger is suffering from alcohol or any other kind of substance abuse, Dr. Murray said.

Following that assessment, the psychologist or psychiatrist performing the evaluation would analyze the findings and then, if warranted, recommend treatment, such as social skills training, cognitive behavioral psychotherapy or stress management, among others.

He said treatment of superstar athletes and others of that ilk has similarities with and differences from treatment of the average person.

"Everybody is human, everyone has the same basic elements and the same human needs," he said. "But with celebrities, CEOs and professional athletes, there has been a lot of a sense of entitlement. They have been nurtured and told they can do anything along the way. So you've got to be aware of that."
Michael A. Fuoco: mfuoco@post-gazette.com or 412-263-1968.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10113/10 ... z0ltpjYHk1 (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10113/1052700-66.stm#ixzz0ltpjYHk1)

papillon
04-23-2010, 09:31 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to find out that he's had some type of head/brain trauma from the auto accident that may cause his judgment to be clouded. He took an awful spill hittinghis head twice, once on the windshield and then again when he hit the ground.

I am hoping for the best for Ben; I really am.

Pappy

flippy
04-23-2010, 09:35 AM
hopefully they don't mess up his thinking on the field

Oviedo
04-23-2010, 09:38 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to find out that he's had some type of head/brain trauma from the auto accident that may cause his judgment to be clouded. He took an awful spill hittinghis head twice, once on the windshield and then again when he hit the ground.

Pappy

I agree. I think we will see that ben has been carrying a hiden injury/trauma from that accident. We all forget because his post accident play on the field that this was a life threatening accident.

I just want them to correctly see if there is a problem and help Ben fix it.

AkronSteel
04-23-2010, 09:42 AM

Pappy

:Agree

Shawn
04-23-2010, 10:03 AM
I thought the treatment would be just to tell him to stop being a douchebag. I am very glad some members here are not in charge of his care.

And Pappy you bring up a very good point. Head injuries can certainly cause damage to inhibitions. Frontal lobe injuries specifically can make people sexually inappropriate.

What doesn't make sense to me...is in HS and college...no accusations. Now 3. Is Ben just a target? I don't know...I think there is more to it. Ben has had 3 accusations since the head injury and his 100 million dollar contract. I hope they go through his case with a fine tooth comb or this won't be the last accusation.

NW Steeler
04-23-2010, 10:31 AM
Severe head trauma and a problem with alcohol? Drinking can make you do a lot of stupid sh!t. Maybe he needs to lay off of the sauce as well.

feltdizz
04-23-2010, 12:53 PM
I thought the treatment would be just to tell him to stop being a douchebag. I am very glad some members here are not in charge of his care.

And Pappy you bring up a very good point. Head injuries can certainly cause damage to inhibitions. Frontal lobe injuries specifically can make people sexually inappropriate.

What doesn't make sense to me...is in HS and college...no accusations. Now 3. Is Ben just a target? I don't know...I think there is more to it. Ben has had 3 accusations since the head injury and his 100 million dollar contract. I hope they go through his case with a fine tooth comb or this won't be the last accusation.

It makes perfect sense to me...

He became Big Ben his rookie season... fame and money came instantly and Steeler Nation treats their football players like Gods.

I don't think Ben is a serial rapist, I think he got famous real quick and is taking advantage of the fame.

NC Steeler Fan
04-23-2010, 02:52 PM
I'm not a clinician, but I do work in a major hospital and was recently discussing the subject of Ben's issues with several people in a position to have a clinical opinion.

They said that most certainly someone who has any kind of "brain injury" can be susceptible to all sorts of problems including personality changes and changes in judgment and behavior.

It makes you wonder if this was something that Goodell picked up on in his investigation and if he feels obligated to eliminate or substantiate concussions as a reason for Ben's off field actions.

I mean, think about it, Ben's issues were all matters of criminal vice that many other players have had to deal with, but how many of them were publically required to undergo medical evaluations?

Something to consider for sure...

Jigawatts
04-23-2010, 03:05 PM
Ben: I see a threesome.

http://screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/rorschachinkblot2.gif

Ben: I see a vagina.

http://www.obfuscationism.com/images/library/image/Ink_blot.jpg

Ben: Twins.

http://www.danceswithferrets.org/meeblog/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/inkblot.jpg

Shawn
04-23-2010, 03:06 PM

He became Big Ben his rookie season... fame and money came instantly and Steeler Nation treats their football players like Gods.

I don't think Ben is a serial rapist, I think he got famous real quick and is taking advantage of the fame.

Well that is the definition of ASN...and I believe you guys made a big joke of that.

eniparadoxgma
04-23-2010, 04:32 PM
Phineas Gage, anyone?

NW Steeler
04-23-2010, 04:37 PM
Ben: I see a threesome.

http://screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/rorschachinkblot2.gif

Ben: I see a vagina.

http://www.obfuscationism.com/images/library/image/Ink_blot.jpg

Ben: Twins.

http://www.danceswithferrets.org/meeblog/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/inkblot.jpg

Uh oh...I see the same thing!
Sh!t, I better seek professional help!

AngryAsian
04-23-2010, 04:38 PM
Phineas Gage, anyone?

Maybe a crowbar through the skull would actually reverse what has happened to his impaired judgement as of late?

feltdizz
04-23-2010, 04:53 PM

Well that is the definition of ASN...and I believe you guys made a big joke of that.

I didn't joke it.... but I think Ben is just a douche with fame and money.

The definition of ASN seemed to lean towards people who are delusional about their "tabloid fame" that doesn't really exist.

But I'm just a designer so what do I know about medical definitions. :wink:

NW Steeler
04-23-2010, 04:57 PM
I would be more inclined to believe that he is a young 28 year old guy that happens to be filthy rich and a professional athlete, is single, possibly drinks too much and makes poor decisions when he is hammered. That is much more likely than him having some type of mental issue.

hawaiiansteel
04-23-2010, 04:59 PM
I would be more inclined to believe that he is a young 28 year old guy that happens to be filthy rich and a professional athlete, is single, possibly drinks too much and makes poor decisions when he is hammered. That is much more likely than him having some type of mental issue.

:Agree

Ben is rich, famous, 28 years old and likes women and liquor -

he just hasn't learned how to handle the above yet...

Gus
04-23-2010, 05:09 PM
I think there is something that is going on w/Ben that has not been considered. I'm guessing that this will come out w/the testing (maybe not publicly though).

Ben has intimacy/relationship issues. I know it sounds corny, but think about it. He is a multimillionaire and a 2 time superbowl winning face of the NFL in his prime. He should not have a problem getting laid. Instead, he chooses to booze it up to get himself into whatever state he needs to be in to get busy seemingly w/non-commital strangers.

The best PR move for him, the Steelers, and the NFL would be for him to get a girlfriend and stick with her for a while. Easier said than done. One, he would have to find someone that he really wants to spend time with. And two, he has to be in a healthy enough relationship with himself to give it a fair go.

I don't pretend to know Ben's personal issues. However, I really think that the problems are stemming from his current inability to have and/or want a healthy sustained relationship.

hawaiiansteel
04-23-2010, 05:13 PM
I think there is something that is going on w/Ben that has not been considered. I'm guessing that this will come out w/the testing (maybe not publicly though).

Ben has intimacy/relationship issues. I know it sounds corny, but think about it. He is a multimillionaire and a 2 time superbowl winning face of the NFL in his prime. He should not have a problem getting laid. Instead, he chooses to booze it up to get himself into whatever state he needs to be in to get busy seemingly w/non-commital strangers.

The best PR move for him, the Steelers, and the NFL would be for him to get a girlfriend and stick with her for a while. Easier said than done. One, he would have to find someone that he really wants to spend time with. And two, he has to be in a healthy enough relationship with himself to give it a fair go.

I don't pretend to know Ben's personal issues. However, I really think that the problems are stemming from his current inability to have and/or want a healthy sustained relationship.

what do you mean Ben has intimacy issues?

Ben is trying to be as intimate as he can with as many young coeds as possible.

http://letsblogsports.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/ben-roethlisberger-drunk-pittsburgh-steelers-quarterback-tall-receiver-hines-ward.jpghttp://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Sports/images-2/ben-roethlisberger-drunk-2.jpg

fezziwig
04-23-2010, 05:20 PM
I just hope they point out to him that he needs to act his age and not his jersey number. Teaching him some people skills wouldn't hurt either. In addition to that, back hand him and tell him to pick a more reciprocating girl to be with and his own age and coherent and not a wacko and not a bow wow.

Last night I was talking to a guy that said his cousin was one of the cops the arrived at Bens motorcycle accident. He said his cousin said, " Ben was M F the lady that ran into him. He said he was ripping her a new ass. Don't know how true it is but, I thought I would share. To me a young guy getting wrecked into would seem typical for this young guy to get upset and run at the mouth.

hawaiiansteel
04-23-2010, 05:35 PM
hey Ben,

if you see a girl in a bar that looks like this, don't hit on her...

http://www.hollywoodbackwash.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/amy-winehouse-brain-damage.gif

hawaiiansteel
04-23-2010, 05:37 PM
or like this, for that matter -

http://bennyhollywood.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/55298210a542x342.jpg.jpg

Shawn
04-23-2010, 06:11 PM

I didn't joke it.... but I think Ben is just a douche with fame and money.

The definition of ASN seemed to lean towards people who are delusional about their "tabloid fame" that doesn't really exist.

But I'm just a designer so what do I know about medical definitions. :wink:

Actually ASN usually refers to real celebrities...fame does something to the brain especially when you have some genetic precursors towards these types of issues.

Acquired situational narcissism
Acquired situational narcissism (ASN) is a form of narcissism that develops in late adolescence or adulthood, brought on by wealth, fame and the other trappings of celebrity. It was coined by Robert B. Millman, professor of psychiatry at the Weill Cornell Medical College of Cornell University.

ASN differs from conventional narcissism in that it develops after childhood and is triggered and supported by the celebrity-obsessed society: fans, assistants and tabloid media all play into the idea that the person really is vastly more important than other people, triggering a narcissistic problem that might have been only a tendency, or latent, and helping it to become a full-blown personality disorder.

In its presentation and symptoms, it is indistinguishable from narcissistic personality disorder, differing only in its late onset and its support by large numbers of others. The person with ASN may suffer from unstable relationships, substance abuse and erratic behaviour.