PDA

View Full Version : Can Pouncey start right away?

pick6
04-22-2010, 11:38 PM
I know that he is a well rounded, highly productive and experienced player. You guys let me know if he wins the starting job. I really hope that he can. What was his bench, just out of curiosity. Remember weve got 2 of the best interior d linemen in the NFL in Ngata and the dirty guy from Cleveland, that we have to face twice a year. Can the rookie handle it. Im pulling for him.

NJ-STEELER
04-22-2010, 11:39 PM
http://www.pouncecat.com/images/products/crunchy/large/img_tuna_flavor.jpg

Shawn
04-22-2010, 11:44 PM
He has the talent to start from day 1.

SteelBucks
04-22-2010, 11:54 PM
According to the Trib and TIOPS he'll get a chance to start at Guard not Center.

kennyes
04-22-2010, 11:54 PM
http://www.pouncecat.com/images/products/crunchy/large/img_tuna_flavor.jpg
:lol:

BURGH86STEEL
04-22-2010, 11:56 PM
According to the Trib and TIOPS he'll get a chance to start at Guard not Center.

That is probably where he will play for one year.

birtikidis
04-22-2010, 11:57 PM
that talk of him playing guard is bs.
he's a center and he'll start there.
and btw, seeing as how hartwig always gets steam rolled, I'd def. say that he's going to be more productive against those NT's

Lebsteel
04-22-2010, 11:59 PM
and btw, seeing as how hartwig always gets steam rolled, I'd def. say that he's going to be more productive against those NT's
Yes, I hope we starts from Day 1 at center. I'd also like to see Urbik at RG (assuming he will be better in year 2 than Essex)

phillyesq
04-23-2010, 12:07 AM

Wexell is reporting the same thing, that he'll start at RG.

SteelBucks
04-23-2010, 12:11 AM

Wexell is reporting the same thing, that he'll start at RG.

ESPN is on the RG bandwagon.

calmkiller
04-23-2010, 12:12 AM
They are paying Hartwig, The idea is let him play out his contract while Pouncey learns the O.

PSU_dropout43
04-23-2010, 12:12 AM
Given his low wonderlic score, I say no.

RuthlessBurgher
04-23-2010, 12:14 AM
Mike Webster started at guard before moving to center.

Dermontti Dawson started at guard before moving to center.

Jeff Hartings started at guard (in Detroit) before moving to center (in Pittsburgh).

Just sayin'...

WoodleyofTroy
04-23-2010, 12:20 AM
Most ready pick the Steelers have had in the first round since Heath.

More so than Troy, Ben, Holmes, Timmons, and Hood.

BURGH86STEEL
04-23-2010, 12:26 AM

Jeff Hartings started at guard (in Detroit) before moving to center (in Pittsburgh).

Just sayin'...

I guess it is no so far fetched as some thing that he will play a year a guard. It will be good for the team if he has that kind of versatility.

Lebsteel
04-23-2010, 12:29 AM
So, I guess our 2nd pick last year (Urbik) is going to be a BUST? You never hear anyone mention Urbik as a future starter. Why did they pick him? Bad talent evaluation or what?

hawaiiansteel
04-23-2010, 12:33 AM
So, I guess our 2nd pick last year (Urbik) is going to be a BUST? You never hear anyone mention Urbik as a future starter. Why did they pick him? Bad talent evaluation or what?

reportedly, it was Arians who pushed for Urbik...

pick6
04-23-2010, 12:44 AM
yeah the urbik thing doesn't feel right. absolutely no buzz. sometimes i think we underestimate our ability as fans to apply salient pressure upon the front office. Remember we were screamin big and uglies all the way.

birtikidis
04-23-2010, 01:17 AM
Urbik will make a push this year. Kids young and had high expectations. didn't meet them in year one but that doesn't mean he's done/.

NJ-STEELER
04-23-2010, 03:54 AM

Just sayin'...

you forgot about sean mahan started at guard before playing center

NJ-STEELER
04-23-2010, 03:58 AM
ubrick is gonna start at center this year and replace pouncey at guard when he's ready to take over at center :P

steelsnis
04-23-2010, 05:24 AM
Here's what ESPN Insider has to say. Looks pretty impressive at first glance:

1 = Exceptional 2 = Above average 3 = Average 4 = Below average 5 = Marginal

Overall Football Traits - Production 1
2007: Appeared in all 13 games as a true freshman, including 12 starts at right guard or center. 2008: Started all 14 games at center. 2009: Started all 14 games at center; Unanimous first- team All-SEC, second-team AP All-America, 2009 Rimington Award winner as the nation's top center.

Height-Weight-Speed 2
Possesses good height and bulk for any of the three interior OL positions. Speed and athleticism are adequate for size.

Durability 3
Missed two starts due to a sprained ankle but played in both games. Underwent surgery in May of 2009 to repair a torn labrum in shoulder but did not miss any playing time. In fact, he played in all 41 games during three seasons at UF, including 39 starts.

Intangibles 2
Three year starter and possesses the versatility to line up at both center and guard at the next level.

1 = Exceptional 2 = Above average 3 = Average 4 = Below average 5 = Marginal

Offensive Center Specific Traits

Awareness 2
Experienced and displays a thorough understanding of blocking concepts. Shows good discipline to stay at home and maintain strong position against defensive line movement. Quickly seeks out and covers up linebackers when combo blocking to the second level. Awareness in blitz pick up is good but can be step late reacting on occasion.

Toughness 2
Displays good fight when engaged and works to the whistle. Is feisty and flashes a mean streak. Seeks out contact when he comes off combo block. Looks to jar defender with good initial punch.

Pass Protection 1
Light on feet and does a good job of shuffling and mirroring to stay in front of rushers. Can be rocked back initially by more powerful bull-rushers but displays ability to sink hips and regain leverage. Shows a strong compact punch and displays good hand placement. Can be overaggressive at times and needs to do a better job of staying patient and sitting back in set. Only time observed getting into trouble in pass pro is when he lunges.

Run Blocking 1
Good quickness snapping the ball and getting out of stance. Gains strong initial position and displays proper hat placement. Shows good overall balance and is rarely seen on the ground. Power-base is good but not elite. Can give ground against bigger NT's as seen on film working against Tennessee DT Dan Williams. However, he will not get dominated at the point of attack and he shows the ability to recover. Did a good job of stalemating Alabama NT Terrence Cody during a handful of one-on-one run blocking opportunities in 2009 SEC title game. Maintains low pad level and can generate good leverage once engaged. Moves well down the line and can reach three-technique when zone blocking. Displays good timing coming of combo blocks and makes smooth transition climbing to the second level. Flashes a mean streak and plays to the whistle.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-23-2010, 07:53 AM
Legursky will start at C this year! Pouncey at RG! :nono

:D

Shawn
04-23-2010, 09:15 AM
Most ready pick the Steelers have had in the first round since Heath.

More so than Troy, Ben, Holmes, Timmons, and Hood.

You are a very wise man. I could care less about Wonderlic if the player is football smart. Pouncey is football smart, technically sound and athletically gifted.

Shawn
04-23-2010, 09:19 AM
All I needed to see was him able to block Cody one on one. Cody is virtually unblockable by one man.

phillyesq
04-23-2010, 09:20 AM

I don't think this means that they have given up on Urbik. He was reportedly working at Center during OTAs, which could mean that they're trying to see if he has the ability to be one of the active backups on game day.

pfelix73
04-23-2010, 09:24 AM

Dude- how do you know where and when these rookie OL will start? Are you the new OL coach in disguise on here? :lol:

Statements such as these from people who just don't know, are indeed- :lol:

Already proclaiming Pouncey as the next Dirt is insulting. He has to EARN it.

Shawn
04-23-2010, 09:27 AM

Dude- how do you know where and when these rookie OL will start? Are you the new OL coach in disguise on here? :lol:

Statements such as these from people who just don't know, are indeed- :lol:

We can't all be studs like you felix.

pfelix73
04-23-2010, 09:29 AM
I know. lol

:tt1

Oviedo
04-23-2010, 09:42 AM
Urbik will make a push this year. Kids young and had high expectations. didn't meet them in year one but that doesn't mean he's done/.

I see Urbik as the eventual replace on the line for Kemo. Kemo is hardly been a star and he is a huge liability in pass protection. Hre also signed a contract that would not be crippling to dump after this season. Remember how long it took kemo to take over. I have no problem with Urbik taking a couple of years to be ready. I believe he is part of the future solution for a very solid OL. Fan impatience aside.

AkronSteel
04-23-2010, 09:52 AM

I see Urbik as the eventual replace on the line for Kemo. Kemo is hardly been a star and he is a huge liability in pass protection. Hre also signed a contract that would not be crippling to dump after this season. Remember how long it took kemo to take over. I have no problem with Urbik taking a couple of years to be ready. I believe he is part of the future solution for a very solid OL. Fan impatience aside.

I was thinking about that last night Ovi.....I think that may very well be where he fits in! I would like to see him compete with Foster for the 1st team RG spot but I think that with what we saw from Foster last year that its his job to lose. I sure don't want Essex starting at RG anymore, not only because he isn't very good at it but because he is the best backup tackle we have.

I think the OL will be:

LT: Starks
LG: Kemo
C: Pouncey
RG: Foster/Urbik
RT: Colon

NJ-STEELER
04-23-2010, 05:34 PM
After LT, where would you want to have a great player on the OL?

i'll say center over RT and both OGs

good pick

hawaiiansteel
04-23-2010, 05:42 PM

I was thinking about that last night Ovi.....I think that may very well be where he fits in! I would like to see him compete with Foster for the 1st team RG spot but I think that with what we saw from Foster last year that its his job to lose. I sure don't want Essex starting at RG anymore, not only because he isn't very good at it but because he is the best backup tackle we have.

I think the OL will be:

LT: Starks
LG: Kemo
C: Pouncey
RG: Foster/Urbik
RT: Colon

Tomlin has already stated that Pouncey will start at RG, not at C.

thus, OL will look like this:

LT: Starks/Hills
LG: Kemo/Foster
C: Hartwig/Legursky/Urbik
RG: Pouncey/Essex/Foster/Legursky/Urbik
RT: Colon/Scott

Urbik will be lucky to make the team this year.

NJ-STEELER
04-23-2010, 05:51 PM
with another interior OL drafted.

maybe essex goes back to swing OT, especially if ubrick shows improvement

RuthlessBurgher
04-24-2010, 01:19 AM

If Pouncey does show enough to start at RG, Urbik likely won't dress this year either, unless he is able to pick up the ability to play center as well (which is what they are apparently trying to do with him now).

The starters would be Starks-Kemoeatu-Hartwig-Pouncey-Colon, and the active backups would be Essex (can play both guard and tackle) and Legursky (can play guard and center). We typically only have 7 o-linemen dress on game day.

NJ-STEELER
04-24-2010, 01:25 AM
7? not 8?

hawaiiansteel
04-24-2010, 01:28 AM

If Pouncey does show enough to start at RG, Urbik likely won't dress this year either, unless he is able to pick up the ability to play center as well (which is what they are apparently trying to do with him now).

The starters would be Starks-Kemoeatu-Hartwig-Pouncey-Colon, and the active backups would be Essex (can play both guard and tackle) and Legursky (can play guard and center). We typically only have 7 o-linemen dress on game day.

that means we still have Jonathan Scott and Tony Hills at OT and Ramon Foster and Kraig Urbik at OG that wouldn't be dressing on game days. sounds like one or two of these four players will not be making the team.

RuthlessBurgher
04-24-2010, 01:40 AM

that means we still have Jonathan Scott and Tony Hills at OT and Ramon Foster and Kraig Urbik at OG that wouldn't be dressing on game days. sounds like one or two of these four players will not be making the team.

Yeah, we certainly won't be keeping 11 o-linemen on the final roster. Should be 9 or 10 (and if we keep 6 WR's...Ward, Wallace, Randle El, Battle, Sweed, and Sanders...it will likely be 9 o-linemen). If that were the case, then Scott or Hills goes, and Foster, Urbik, or Legursky goes.

NJ-STEELER
04-24-2010, 01:47 AM
right now, i would think hills is the odd man out.

dont discount injuries