PDA

View Full Version : Kindle and Mays

Shawn
04-22-2010, 11:15 PM
Neither selected in the first. Interesting. I'm glad some of you are not on our scout team.

Discuss.

:mrgreen:

hawaiiansteel
04-22-2010, 11:17 PM
the next time certain individuals give me tips on players i may not listen... :lol:

http://marketing.blogs.ie.edu/files/2009/09/not-listening.jpg

steelblood
04-22-2010, 11:19 PM
Mays is a 4-3 OLB. That is all. He is way too stiff to play safety in this pass happy league.

Kindle is an interesting guy. I'm a little surprised he wasn't selected late in the first.

papillon
04-22-2010, 11:23 PM
With Mays and Kindle who were at one point potential first round selections maybe there's a way to move up enough to pick up Sean Lee in the second.

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
04-22-2010, 11:27 PM
Mays is a 4-3 OLB. That is all. He is way too stiff to play safety in this pass happy league.

Kindle is an interesting guy. I'm a little surprised he wasn't selected late in the first.

Kindle will come off the board early tomorrow, Kiper has him as the #1 player still available.

Lebsteel
04-22-2010, 11:29 PM
With Mays and Kindle who were at one point potential first round selections maybe there's a way to move up enough to pick up Sean Lee in the second.

Pappy
I like your thinking, Pappy! I don't think we would have to move up very far, maybe 4 or 5 picks. We'd have to give up a 4th and 5th rounder to move up 10 spots, but a 5th rounder would move us up to 49. Even though I want Lee, not sure I'd do it.

NJ-STEELER
04-22-2010, 11:31 PM
rather move up for a CB

we're fine this year at ILB with timmons, farrior, foote, fox

who's left there

Shawn
04-22-2010, 11:43 PM
rather move up for a CB

who's left there

I think Brandon Ghee will be the pick.

hawaiiansteel
04-22-2010, 11:44 PM
rather move up for a CB

who's left there

CB pickings are getting slim -

Brandon Ghee CB/S
Chris Cook CB/S
Dominique Franks CB
Akwasi Owusu Ansah CB

NJ-STEELER
04-22-2010, 11:49 PM
jerome murphy is slotted in that area too

birtikidis
04-23-2010, 01:38 AM
jerome murphy is slotted in that area too
Not a fan of Murphy. As a student at USF, I got to see a lot of him and was never impressed. Nate Allen on the other hand...
I think Cam Thomas may be the way to go this round and then maybe Major Wright in the 3rd. I don't think we need a CB I think we need a safety much more...

BradshawsHairdresser
04-23-2010, 09:08 AM
I don't think we need a CB I think we need a safety much more...

Willie Gay agrees.

papillon
04-23-2010, 09:20 AM

Pappy
I like your thinking, Pappy! I don't think we would have to move up very far, maybe 4 or 5 picks. We'd have to give up a 4th and 5th rounder to move up 10 spots, but a 5th rounder would move us up to 49. Even though I want Lee, not sure I'd do it.

He's one of the few players that I actually got to see work out and he's a much better athlete than most believe. The analysts were saying that the knee injury has not effected his mobility, speed, cuts, etc.

Regardless, the Steelers are off to nice solid start to this draft and there are players remaining that can help. As long as they don't reach for a player they should be able to bring a nice group of rooks to compete for roster spots.

Some others: Linval Joseph, Torrell Troup, Gerhardt, Blount (The Steelers need a Blount on the roster again), AOA and a few I'm missing I'm sure.

Pappy

Shawn
04-23-2010, 09:22 AM

Pappy

He's one of the few players that I actually got to see work out and he's a much better athlete than most believe. The analysts were saying that the knee injury has not effected his mobility, speed, cuts, etc.

Regardless, the Steelers are off to nice solid start to this draft and there are players remaining that can help. As long as they don't reach for a player they should be able to bring a nice group of rooks to compete for roster spots.

Some others: Linval Joseph, Torrell Troup, Gerhardt, Blount (The Steelers need a Blount on the roster again), AOA and a few I'm missing I'm sure.

Pappy

They need a Blount...but please...no more Blunts. :D

papillon
04-23-2010, 09:24 AM

Pappy

Pappy

At least not on any police blotter in America, what happens in your house, stays in your house... :D

Pappy

Dee Dub
04-23-2010, 11:07 AM
Neither selected in the first. Interesting. I'm glad some of you are not on our scout team.

Discuss.

How funny. From a guy who changed his mock signature about 50 times this off season. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

There is a long list of hall of famers who have been selected in round two.

So like every one got it right in round one when they passed on Joe Montana and Tom Brady???

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-23-2010, 11:13 AM
I don't like any of the CBs left at #18. Ghee is 3rd round talent and his workout is sliding him into the 2nd on some mocks. I'm hoping for Owusu-Ansah in the 3rd. The Steelers surgeon did his shoulder so they know if he is healthy.

Jom112
04-23-2010, 11:29 AM
Texas linebacker Sergio Kindle surprisingly didn't get selected in the first round Thursday.

Now we know why.

Several teams had Kindle off their board due to medical issues, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter. Chip Brown of Rivals.com writes that Kindle's knee was a "serious" medical risk that could require microfracture surgery.

Kindle also takes medication for narcolepsy and ADD, although we doubt those are major issues. Kindle is known for his football intelligence, but his durability risks was too great for teams to take in the first round.

At some point in the second round, we think the risk of his injuries will be worth the reward of his considerable talents.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... rst-round/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/23/medical-issues-pushed-kindle-out-of-first-round/)

Northern_Blitz
04-23-2010, 12:19 PM

Pappy

Pappy

At least not on any police blotter in America, what happens in your house, stays in your house... :D

Pappy

Unless you broadcast it to the world on Twitter.

papillon
04-23-2010, 12:22 PM

Pappy

Unless you broadcast it to the world on Twitter.

Well, there are many different ways to be stupid these days; it seems Santonio managed to take advantage of one of them.

Pappy

NJ-STEELER
04-23-2010, 04:50 PM
narcolepsy?

falling asleep in meetings or class??

is that what the kids call it now a days

Shawn
04-23-2010, 06:15 PM

Discuss.

How funny. From a guy who changed his mock signature about 50 times this off season. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So like every one got it right in round one when they passed on Joe Montana and Tom Brady???

Don't hate because I got it right. A smart man adjusts as he receives information. What was that about Kindle being a better prospect than Graham? :lol:

Dee Dub
04-23-2010, 07:13 PM

Discuss.

Don't hate because I got it right. A smart man adjusts as he receives information. What was that about Kindle being a better prospect than Graham? :lol:

Come on Shawn...Kindle fell because of medical reasons. How lame is that....and coming from someone in the medical field at that. :roll:

Shawn
04-23-2010, 10:49 PM
[quote=Shawn]Neither selected in the first. Interesting. I'm glad some of you are not on our scout team.

Discuss.

Come on Shawn...Kindle fell because of medical reasons. How lame is that....and coming from someone in the medical field at that. :roll:[/quote:3v2q0d0i]

Ahh ok...gotta. So, because I'm in the medical field I should give you a free pass? I mean you missed on Mays as well. I don't know...I just kinda enjoy pokin ya. :mrgreen:

:stirpot

hawaiiansteel
04-24-2010, 02:37 AM
Updated: April 24, 2010, 2:25 AM ET

Mays tackles Carroll over draft spot

Ever since January when Pete Carroll took the Seattle Seahawks job, Taylor Mays said he had been thinking he would only have to drive a few miles over a few bridges from Seattle to Renton, Wash., to meet the press after being drafted into the NFL.

It all made sense. He was from Seattle. Carroll had recruited him out of Seattle to USC, where the All-America safety had spent the last four years. Carroll had convinced him to stay last season, even though most scouts predicted he'd be at least a top-15 pick.

So when pick after pick was announced and his name wasn't being called, Mays sat in front of the television, stunned, and he started to blame Carroll for his plight.

"He is someone I've trusted for a long time, been very close to," Mays said Friday. "I put my future in his hands when he told me to come back to school. I just feel like we weren't on the same page for what I needed to do to get drafted where I wanted to be drafted."

Here's my head coach, the person I trust most, telling me I had nothing to worry about and then I'm worrying about it [when it's too late] because I'm not getting picked.

-- Taylor Mays on Pete Carroll
Mays says all year he had continually asked Carroll what he needed to do to get better, what deficiencies he needed to correct to prove to scouts that he was the brightest, fastest, most physical safety in the country; to maintain the lofty status he had achieved the year before.

"[Pete] kept saying, 'Taylor, you'll be fine. You're fine,'" Mays said. "Obviously that wasn't the case."

Mays had been nearly bouncing off the walls as he boarded his flight last Tuesday from Los Angeles to Seattle. The USC senior was headed home to be with his parents and younger brother to watch himself get drafted into the NFL. His entire future waiting on that announcement, only one thing was on his mind.

"Don't let me forget this," he said to the flight attendant as she hung up the plastic garment bag in the closet. In the bag was the brand-new custom-tailored charcoal suit that he was planning on wearing when he would make his media debut amid all the pomp and circumstance afforded first-round picks in the NFL.

"Otherwise I'll have to wear my jersey," he said and laughed.

He wasn't laughing later.

"It was really, really hard," he said of sliding down the board.

Carroll had even invited Mays to drop by the facility on Wednesday, which he did until rattled Seahawks personnel informed Carroll that the deadline for pre-draft visits had passed. "Ooops," Carroll said. "Great to see you, you have to go."

Except for that, it had all been shaping up very nicely; Carroll to the Seahawks; Mays to the Seahawks. It all had nice symmetry.

But then, as Carroll tells it, the first round began and when it came for the Seahawks to make their 14th pick, a slot where Mays thought he might be selected, Seattle saw that Texas safety Earl Thomas was still on the board. Just about everybody had rated Thomas the second best safety in the draft (behind Tennessee's Eric Berry, who went fifth overall to Kansas City) and the defensive secondary-desperate Seahawks couldn't believe their good fortune. Thomas is a versatile, athletic safety, who can also play corner, and someone whom they thought would fit in perfectly behind last year's top pick, linebacker Aaron Curry. And so Carroll voted with his head and not his hear and took Thomas and passed on Mays.

Even Mays would say later he couldn't argue with the pick.

"Earl is very, very good player," he said. "I knew he'd go higher than me."

But then, a lot of teams passed. And just like that, his first-round probability became an improbability. Mays' world continued to spin. By the time he was picked 49th overall by the San Francisco 49ers, it hit a frenzied level. He had given up a possible top-10 slot, was hurt in the Trojans' game against Ohio State, which caused him to miss his chance to play his senior year against Washington at Husky Stadium in his hometown of Seattle (which the Trojans lost) and suffered through a miserable season.

There are those who believed Carroll forced Mays into a defensive scheme his senior year that was convenient for the young, sometimes inept Trojans defense. The scheme didn't showcase Mays' talents.

"He played too far off the ball, he was responsible for too much ground, he was expected to make up for the mistakes of others," wrote the bloggers. Mays refused to buy into the criticism, saying he was doing what Carroll told him to do. It was a story he stuck to all season, because, he says, he believed and trusted that Carroll was doing the best thing for him and for the team.

In hindsight, he says, he realizes the scheme probably didn't prepare him for the draft, and the fact that he wasn't a defensive playmaker because of it, is likely what hurt him most. Still, he ran a blistering 40 at the combine (4.23 to 4.43 depending on whose watch you were watching) and was, by just about everybody's standards, still an incredible athlete.

Obviously it wasn't enough.

"I wish I would have known why I wouldn't be taken in the first round," he said Friday, "At least have been shown what I needed work on. Here's my head coach, the person I trust most, telling me I had nothing to worry about and then I'm worrying about it [when it's too late] because I'm not getting picked."

Mays said it hurts that had he chosen differently a year ago, he'd probably be many million dollars richer and have avoided the heartache he had just gone through. Still, he believes he is a better player than he was a year ago; smarter, more physical, more mature. Which makes it all the more baffling why Carroll had assured him "I was fine," when it came to the draft.

"I put my future in his hands," Mays kept saying.

Told of Mays' comments, Carroll looked wounded. He said before the draft it would be emotionally draining to have to pass on one of the many players, not just USC players, whom he has gotten to know well. He looked down and softly said about Mays, "He's hurting."

Later, he said: "We really were looking forward to picking Taylor. We thought we would get the chance to do that in the first round. But we were surprised when Earl Thomas showed up, we really coveted him as an all-around cover guy who could play safety or corner. And so when we made the pick, we felt fortunate to get Earl, but we were really hoping that we were gonna get a chance to get him [Taylor], but unfortunately we didn't."

Mays is heading to San Francisco Saturday morning where he will meet the media in his new charcoal suit. Before the draft he had said that, even though he would love to play for Carroll and the Seahawks, he had been impressed with coach Mike Singletary, the history of the organization and the "killer way they play defense." In one moment he had said he'd love to stay home, but in the next he hinted that, like most young adults trying to find their way, that the allure of a new city was compelling as well.

On Friday, when he was done venting, Mays said he was moving on, moving to the next opportunity, the next challenge.

"I look forward to playing 16 games for [Coach] Singletary, 16 games a year than I do playing Coach Carroll twice a year," Mays told a group of Bay Area writers via conference call on Friday.

Oh, by the way, the season opener for the 49ers: at Seattle.

Shelley Smith is a reporter for ESPN.

fordfixer
04-24-2010, 02:18 PM

Pappy

Pappy

Pappy
At least untill you have to pee in a cup for in the cup for the NFL

fordfixer
04-24-2010, 02:20 PM

Pappy

Pappy

Pappy
At least untill you have to pee in a cup for in the cup for the NFL