PDA

View Full Version : The "What I Would Have Done" Draft (My Real-Time Mock)

RuthlessBurgher
04-22-2010, 09:42 PM
At #18, I would have taken Bryan Bulaga. Didn't expect one of the "big 4" tackles to drop to us. We have no legit depth at tackle, and there is no guarantee that we will be able to sign Colon to a long-term extension if his asking price is more than we are willing to pay. As a rookie, he could start out a RG and be an upgrade to Essex, until we need him to move out to tackle.

Anyone else, feel free to add your own "What I Would Have Done" suggestions here as well. I will update mine as we go along tomorrow and Saturday. I think this is a better exercise than waiting until after it is all over and having 20-20 hindsight to be able to see where everyone fell to decide what you would have done after the fact.

birtikidis
04-22-2010, 09:56 PM
I would have taken pouncey.
then I would try to trade up to the end of the first round to get Kyle Wilson.

Iron Shiek
04-22-2010, 10:18 PM
Birt...I like your thoughts. Pouncey and Wilson would've been a heck of a pull.

Lets see what happens. But like I said in the Pouncey thread, I'm not disappointed with the pick.

I can't believe Tebow went in the first round...

hawaiiansteel
04-22-2010, 10:20 PM

Lets see what happens. But like I said in the Pouncey thread, I'm not disappointed with the pick.

I still can't believe Tyson Alualu went to the Jaguars at #10 in the 1st round! :wft

and they're hoping to put more fans in the stands?

Sugar
04-22-2010, 10:22 PM
I would have gotten Kyle Wilson. Who picks a Center in the top 20? Only the Steelers apparently. Not a bad player, but a bad value, IMO.

After watching our DB fall apart last year without Troy, it would have been better to have a playmaker in the DB.

Iron Shiek
04-22-2010, 10:26 PM

I still can't believe Tyson Alualu went to the Jaguars at #10 in the 1st round! :wft

and they're hoping to put more fans in the stands?

Good. I'm not a draft monger like some of you guys, but when I saw that dude in the top ten after finally checking the draft board, I laughed. Nice job Jags...

Northern_Blitz
04-22-2010, 11:17 PM
I would have gotten Kyle Wilson. Who picks a Center in the top 20? Only the Steelers apparently. Not a bad player, but a bad value, IMO.

After watching our DB fall apart last year without Troy, it would have been better to have a playmaker in the DB.

In the comments section of his blog D.Lolley says Wilson has 3 DUIs. Not really the message the FO is trying to send.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/www/sidelines/index.html

papillon
04-22-2010, 11:22 PM
I know this is easier said than done, but I would have tried to trade out of the 1.18 pick and pick up an extra in the second round. without a trade partner I have no problem with Pouncey, he's a safe pick and hopefully, the center for the Steelers for the next 12 years. I have no problem with Pouncey at all.

Pappy

pfelix73
04-22-2010, 11:23 PM
Pouncey will be a good player for us down the road as he will be the eventual C, barring a serious injury, etc, but I agree. We really needed more depth at OT. Bulaga would have been my pick with all those other guys begin picked in front of us.

On another note- Essex could compete with Scott next year for the RT spot. I do not know much about Scott- being a Bill.
:tt1

NJ-STEELER
04-22-2010, 11:47 PM

i agree with ur thought about playmakers in the defensive backfield.

but, maybe the thinking was there isn't really a quality center after pouncey in this draft.

CB is said to be deep this year, so i can see their reasoning

Lebsteel
04-22-2010, 11:54 PM

iagree with ur thought about playemakers in the defensive back field.

but, maybe the thinking was there isn't really a quality benter after pouncey in this draft.

CB is said to be deep this year, so i can see their reasoning
Maybe the Steelers really like AOA and will be content to wait until Rd. 3 or move up a little in Rd. 3 to get their corner?

Chadman
04-23-2010, 01:24 AM
Pouncey represents good value when you compare him to Center #2 & #3 etc. The drop-off is quite significant.

The 2nd level CB's are not that far behind the Top Tier, so waiting until Round 2-3 isn't a bad thing.

Not many LB's went off the board, and the rush for NT's never eventuated in Round 1, so there is some decent value in Round at this point. WR is also strong in Round 2.

Pouncey was never Chadman's top pick, but if he can upgrade what was a significantly poor area of the team, Chadman can hardly complain with any conviction.

Shame it's kinda a gay name though...hardly fear enticing! POUNCEY! Sounds like a kitten came in to play.

birtikidis
04-23-2010, 01:32 AM
People keep saying that drafting a back up at tackle is more value then a guy who can step on the field and probably start in year one. how exactly is that value? Pouncey filled a NEED and was the BPA (including charecter issues -- wilson and his DUI's...)

RuthlessBurgher
04-23-2010, 01:59 AM
People keep saying that drafting a back up at tackle is more value then a guy who can step on the field and probably start in year one. how exactly is that value? Pouncey filled a NEED and was the BPA (including charecter issues -- wilson and his DUI's...)

Bulaga would have completed for the starting spot at RG as a rookie.

Pouncey will compete for the starting spot at RG as a rookie.

That's similar value from the start right there.

The reason why I think that the #4 OT offers more value than the #1 C, is because top centers can typically be had in the late first round where we usually pick, but multiple tackles are typically off the board in the top half of the first round, so we rarely have a shot at a top prospect at OT (except when we are up here at #18).

I REALLY liked Alex Mack last year, but I preferred to trade up for Michael Oher when he fell within reach. This year, I like Pouncey, but when Bulaga fell into our laps without having to trade up or anything, that was my preference.

What happens if we are not able to sign Colon to a long term extension after his one year tender expires? It would have been nice to have Bulaga in our back pocket just in case such a scenario came to fruition.

If we have a decent season, we will not be able to draft a top OT prospect next year like LSU's Joseph Barksdale or Wisconsin's Gabe Carimi. But even if we won the Super Bowl and picked at #32, we should be able to take a solid center prospect like USC's Kris O'Dowd, Penn State's Stefen Wisniewski, or even Maurkice's twin brother Mike who is still at Florida for another year.

We better hope that after jettisoning Holmes (who would have been due for a huge payday if he did not screw everything up), there is enough money now to re-sign Colon, because if we lost him, we'd be in dire straits without any potential replacement that is even minimally competant.

RuthlessBurgher
04-23-2010, 02:00 AM
Shame it's kinda a gay name though...hardly fear enticing! POUNCEY! Sounds like a kitten came in to play.

It's not as gay of a last name as...ummm, I don't know, maybe...William GAY!!! :wink:

birtikidis
04-23-2010, 02:03 AM

The reason why I think that the #4 OT offers more value than the #1 C, is because top centers can typically be had in the late first round where we usually pick, but multiple tackles are typically off the board in the top half of the first round, so we rarely have a shot at a top prospect at OT (except when we are up here at #18).

I REALLY liked Alex Mack last year, but I preferred to trade up for Michael Oher when he fell within reach. This year, I like Pouncey, but when Bulaga fell into our laps without having to trade up or anything, that was my preference.

What happens if we are not able to sign Colon to a long term extension after his one year tender expires? It would have been nice to have Bulaga in our back pocket just in case such a scenario came to fruition.

If we have a decent season, we will not be able to draft a top OT prospect next year like LSU's Joseph Barksdale or Wisconsin's Gabe Carimi. But even if we won the Super Bowl and picked at #32, we should be able to take a solid center prospect like USC's Kris O'Dowd, Penn State's Stefen Wisniewski, or even Maurkice's twin brother Mike who is still at Florida for another year.

We better hope that after jettisoning Holmes (who would have been due for a huge payday if he did not screw everything up), there is enough money now to re-sign Colon, because if we lost him, we'd be in dire straits without any potential replacement that is even minimally competant.
"He's Really That Good" - Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin on Maurkice Pouncey

birtikidis
04-23-2010, 02:04 AM
and RB when was the last time that we drafted a C that worked out (remember they were all later round picks...)

hawaiiansteel
04-23-2010, 02:08 AM

In the comments section of his blog D.Lolley says Wilson has 3 DUIs. Not really the message the FO is trying to send.

can you show me anywhere that it says Kyle Wilson has had 3 DUIs? Wilson got himself suspended for 3 games in 2007 but since his coaches have said he's become a team leader...no DUIs though.

are you possibly confusing Kyle Wilson with Carlos Dunlap?

Chadman
04-23-2010, 02:09 AM

It's not as gay of a last name as...ummm, I don't know, maybe...William GAY!!! :wink:

But Willie Gay doesn't stand bent over in front of Ben all day long.... :D

birtikidis
04-23-2010, 02:10 AM

But Willie Gay doesn't stand bent over in front of Ben all day long.... :D
chadman are you saying that Ben may Sexually Assault Pouncey?

birtikidis
04-23-2010, 02:18 AM
I could jsut see it now
Pouncey "coach, every time Ben gets set to call the cadence, he starts wiggling his fingers in a weird way...."

RuthlessBurgher
04-23-2010, 02:25 AM
and RB when was the last time that we drafted a C that worked out (remember they were all later round picks...)

Dawson was a second round pick (44th pick overall). That's not exactly late. And he worked out just fine.

birtikidis
04-23-2010, 02:28 AM

Dawson was a second round pick (44th pick overall). That's not exactly late. And he worked out just fine.
so we shoudl draft a center high once every 22 years?

RuthlessBurgher
04-23-2010, 02:29 AM

"He's Really That Good" - Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin on Maurkice Pouncey

I certainly hope so. My favorable option of Bulaga is not meant to be a slight on Pouncey. I just thought picking as high as #18 (which tends to be somewhat rare for us), I would have preferred to go for a top OT like Bulaga or a top NT like Dan Williams, because elite players at those positions are usually difficult to find unless you pick awfully high. Top centers, though, can typically be found later. That's my only beef. I like Pouncey's skill set and think he can be a contributor and an upgrade for us.

Chadman
04-23-2010, 02:31 AM

Pouncey is a 'once in 22 years' type player- much like Ben is a 'once in 25 years' type QB.... :D

birtikidis
04-23-2010, 02:33 AM
Ruthless, that's where we make our differences. I don't think Baluga is that great of a player. I wuold have been seriously bummed if we had taken him. to me it was either pouncey or weatherspoon when our pick came up.

RuthlessBurgher
04-23-2010, 02:37 AM

Well, when that guy dominates for 13 seasons, and is then replaced by a quality veteran free agent who starts for another 6 seasons, yeah, you can afford to wait that long. The past few seasons of Mahan and Hartwig showed us that it is likely about time to pick one high again. I just thought we'd do it last year when there were 3 legit prospects (Alex Mack, Eric Wood, and Max Unger) or next year, when there is expected to be 3 legit prospects (Kris O'Dowd, Stefen Wisniewski, Mike Pouncey), instead of this season when there was only 1 legit prospect (Maurkice Pouncey) and then a huge dropoff, which can result in a player being somewhat overdrafted because it can lead to a team thinking that if we don't take this guy now, there are not other comparable alternatives that are even close to this guy this year. That is likely why Colbert was not interested in trading down from #18 when other teams were calling.

RuthlessBurgher
04-23-2010, 02:42 AM
Ruthless, that's where we make our differences. I don't think Baluga is that great of a player. I wuold have been seriously bummed if we had taken him. to me it was either pouncey or weatherspoon when our pick came up.

Fair enough. I actually think that Pouncey has more upside that Bulaga, but I thought that Bulaga was one of the safer picks in the draft (although he doesn't necessarily have a huge ceiling, he seems to have a stable floor, such that I don't foresee very much bust potential there). Nothing about Bulaga screamed "great" but he seemed to be at least "very good" at pretty much everything that is required of him, making him a well-rounded prospect.

birtikidis
04-23-2010, 02:44 AM
I think He'll be a decent RT (probably as good as Colon) but no better. Colon is one of our better O lineman so that isn't a big diss on him. Pouncey wasn't my first pick, he was just the first Lineman that I would have taken. my guys were all long gone before our pick... i was really hoping for E. Thomas...

birtikidis
04-23-2010, 03:09 AM

Fair enough. I actually think that Pouncey has more upside that Bulaga, but I thought that Bulaga was one of the safer picks in the draft (although he doesn't necessarily have a huge ceiling, he seems to have a stable floor, such that I don't foresee very much bust potential there). Nothing about Bulaga screamed "great" but he seemed to be at least "very good" at pretty much everything that is required of him, making him a well-rounded prospect.
last thing before i go to bed... but doesn't your description of baluga define the word "reach"? lower cieling... higher floor... safer pick... near his potential... #4 OT (at 18)...

StarSpangledSteeler
04-23-2010, 03:26 AM
Ruthless-

You and I were both supporting the steelers drafting a legit left tackle at 1.18 earlier this spring so i know we both value that particular position in a similar manner. I'm not saying Bulaga sucks but I don't know that I would grade his upside as pro-bowl caliber. His arms are a bit shorter than optimal and his foot speed is good but not great. And I don't know how much better than Starks he would ultimately be. In hindsight, the only true option was moving up to 11 to draft Anthony Davis and i would not have done that either.

However, what we can now do is trade up and draft Saffold in round two, who IMO has the athletic ability to become a better left tackle than Starks if given time to develop technique and strength. So I ask you this...

Would you rather have Pouncey and Saffold? Or Bulaga and Tennant?

RuthlessBurgher
04-23-2010, 09:32 AM
Ruthless-

You and I were both supporting the steelers drafting a legit left tackle at 1.18 earlier this spring so i know we both value that particular position in a similar manner. I'm not saying Bulaga sucks but I don't know that I would grade his upside as pro-bowl caliber. His arms are a bit shorter than optimal and his foot speed is good but not great. And I don't know how much better than Starks he would ultimately be. In hindsight, the only true option was moving up to 11 to draft Anthony Davis and i would not have done that either.

However, what we can now do is trade up and draft Saffold in round two, who IMO has the athletic ability to become a better left tackle than Starks if given time to develop technique and strength. So I ask you this...

Would you rather have Pouncey and Saffold? Or Bulaga and Tennant?

There is much bigger drop-off from a first round talent like Pouncey to a mid-round talent like Tennent as compared to the different between a first round talent like Bulaga and a borderline late-first-to-early-second round talent like Saffold (who won't make it anywhere close to #52 IMO...I think he comes off the board within the first 10 picks today).

That said, I wouldn't take either choice. I would rather have Bulaga this year and a top center like Kris O'Dowd or Stefen Wisniewski next year. Right now, I'm leaning toward a defensive player next in this draft.

As for arm length, Bulaga's are 33 1/4". For comparison's sake, Joe Thomas has 32 1/2" arms and Jake Long has 32 7/8" arms. Are they still too short? For what it's worth, Pouncey's arm length is 32 1/2".

Northern_Blitz
04-23-2010, 10:32 AM

can you show me anywhere that it says Kyle Wilson has had 3 DUIs? Wilson got himself suspended for 3 games in 2007 but since his coaches have said he's become a team leader...no DUIs though.

are you possibly confusing Kyle Wilson with Carlos Dunlap?

You have to click on the comments part of entry "Just wanted to move this up". The 23 comment is from Lolley. It says

I'm told that Kyle Wilson has three DUIs. I doubt it will be him.

I haden't heard it before this so I suppose it is possible that Dale confused Wilson with Dunlap.

RuthlessBurgher
04-23-2010, 07:44 PM
My second round pick would have been Mount Cody.

Me:

OT Bryan Bulaga, Iowa
NT Terrence Cody, Alabama

Colbert:

C Maurkice Pouncey, Florida
OLB Jason Worilds, Virginia Tech

birtikidis
04-23-2010, 07:50 PM

Me:

OT Bryan Bulaga, Iowa

Colbert:

well at least we agree about our second pick (cody or tate for me)

isonator07
04-23-2010, 07:53 PM
Wish it was Cody.

Shoe
04-23-2010, 08:13 PM
Shoe
1st-Bulaga
2nd-Golden Tate

RuthlessBurgher
04-23-2010, 08:39 PM

Me:

OT Bryan Bulaga, Iowa

Colbert:

well at least we agree about our second pick (cody or tate for me)

Golden Tate would have my second choice there (after Cody) as well. He could have developed under Hines, and been his heir apparent for when Hines' hangs 'em up.

RuthlessBurgher
04-23-2010, 09:34 PM
If I were making the pick for us based on where things stand right now (after the previous Pouncey and Worilds picks), I think I would have taken a chance on the risk-reward of Bruce Campbell there. But I wouldn't have done that is my real-time mock, though, since I already have an OT (Bulaga). I am intrigued with DE Corey Wootton, NT Cam Thomas, and RB Jonathan Dwyer. But I think I'd have to add to our secondary here. Brandon Ghee edges out Dominique Franks and Akwasi Owusu-Ansah.

Me:

OT Bryan Bulaga, Iowa
CB Brandon Ghee, Wake Forest

Colbert:

WR Emmanuel Sanders, Southern Methodist

papillon
04-23-2010, 10:12 PM

Why do they have to get high to draft a center? :P

Pappy

hawaiiansteel
04-24-2010, 01:15 AM

Why do they have to get high to draft a center? :P

Pappy

you have to be high to draft a center at #18 in the first round... :stirpot

NJ-STEELER
04-24-2010, 01:28 AM
Me:

OT Bryan Bulaga, Iowa

Colbert:

looking back and keeping the same positions.

pouncey
tate
worlids/sapp

RuthlessBurgher
04-24-2010, 11:15 AM
Looking at our picks so far (Pouncey, Worilds, Sanders), I wanted to see us address the secondary here. Although I am certainly intrigued with Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, I think I would have taken Dominique Franks, CB from Oklahoma instead of another OLB in Thaddeus Gibson.

However, in my real-time mock, I have already taken a corner (Ghee). I'll go with the best available RB to back up Mendenhall.

Me:

OT Bryan Bulaga, Iowa
RB Jonathan Dwyer, Georgia Tech

Colbert:

OLB Thaddeus Gibson, Ohio State

pfelix73
04-24-2010, 11:19 AM
I like your picks better than theirs... And you don't get paid for it... :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
04-24-2010, 11:30 AM
I like your picks better than theirs... And you don't get paid for it... :lol:

You folks can take up a collection and pay me for it if you'd like... :wink:

RuthlessBurgher
04-24-2010, 01:03 PM
The Steelers really should have taken Jonathan Dwyer at 151. The team has drafted two OLB's and two interior linemen and I haven't taken any. They don't take any DB's, DL's, or RB's, but I have taken one of each. Since I already have Dwyer in my mock, I'll take a shot at a small school prospect who was a disruptive force at the Divison II level, and has the frame (6' 5 3/4" 276 lbs.) to grow into a 3-4 DE like Keisel did.

Me:

OT Bryan Bulaga, Iowa
DE Austen Lane, DE, Murray State

Colbert:

G Chris Scott, Tennessee

RuthlessBurgher
04-24-2010, 01:34 PM
Well, the team finally addressed the secondary with CB Crezdon Butler from Clemson with their first 5th round comp pick (still can't believe we keep passing on Jon Dwyer...they must have really high hopes for Tank Summers and Red Zone Redman). Since I haven't chosen a pass catcher in my draft yet, I'll take Jom's boy Carlton Mitchell.

Me:

OT Bryan Bulaga, Iowa
WR Carlton Mitchell, South Florida

Colbert:

G Chris Scott, Tennessee
CB Crezdon Butler, Clemson

RuthlessBurgher
04-24-2010, 01:42 PM
Another OLB? Seriously? :wft

Oh well...back to my draft. How about a high-character guy to compete with Ryan Mundy for the 4th safety spot behind Troy, Clark, and Allen?

Me:

OT Bryan Bulaga, Iowa
S Myron Rolle, Florida State

Colbert:

G Chris Scott, Tennessee
OLB Stevenson Sylvester, Utah

RuthlessBurgher
04-24-2010, 02:34 PM
FINALLY!!! They took Dwyer! YES!!! Maybe they are smarter than me after all :wink: since I would have taken him in round 4, and they got him in round 6.

As for my draft here, I'll go with a B.P.A. selection, taking a versatile athlete who is familiar with playing at Heinz already.

Me:

OT Bryan Bulaga, Iowa
TE Dorin Dickerson, Pittsburgh

Colbert:

G Chris Scott, Tennessee

RuthlessBurgher
04-24-2010, 02:57 PM
They took another WR in Antonio Brown (pretty much the exact same size as Sanders...both around 5'10" and about 185 lbs.). I think the team should have taken Dorin Dickerson here. He's 3 inches taller than Brown, weighs 40 lbs. more, and is actually 0.14 seconds faster than him in the 40 (4.40 vs. 4.54). Plus Dickinson is a versatile athlete with the type of positional flexibility that you'd think Tomlin would drool over.

As for my draft, I already picked Dickerson, so that's out. I haven't picked a LB yet, while Colbert has already taken 3 of them. I'll take an inside backer to be the buck of the future when Timmons moves over to mack when Farrior retires. Jamar Chaney is 6'1" and 240 lbs. At the combine he ran a 4.51 40 (fastest for any linebacker), had a 39-inch vertical, and 26 reps of 225. I have no idea why he is still on the board in the late 6th round (seemed like a day two prospect to me).

Me:

OT Bryan Bulaga, Iowa
ILB Jamar Chaney, Mississippi State

Colbert:

G Chris Scott, Tennessee
WR Antonio Brown, Central Michigan

RuthlessBurgher
04-24-2010, 05:15 PM
The Doug Worthington pick was a solid pick. He seems to have a good frame for a 3-4 DE (6'5" 292 lbs.). If I were Colbert, I would have picked Toledo safety Barry Church (6' 1.5" 222 lbs.) to compete for the 4th safety spot with Mundy behind Troy, Clark, and Allen, since he did not pick a safety yet. But I'm not disappointed with the Worthington pick, though.

As for my draft, I've already picked a safety and a 3-4 DE prospect, so I'll look elsewhere. Unlike Colbert, I did not pick an OLB (D'Oh!) and I don't really like anyone that's left on the board (so if Harrison or Woodley goes down, I would have to move Timmons outside, since I do not have a Worilds or Gibson in my draft). Oh well. You can't have everything, I suppose.

Since I only took one o-lineman (Bulaga in the first), I can afford to take another one here. Although he did not test well at the combine, there is a guy still on the board who has 53 consecutive starts for a top notch SEC school like LSU. He also has the position flexibility to play RT or guard. I'll have to wait until next year to get my center of the future, with a guy like USC's Kris O'Dowd, PSU's Stefen Wisniewski, or Maurkice Pouncey's twin brother Mike, who is expected to move from RG to C this year at Florida.

Me:

OT Bryan Bulaga, Iowa
ILB Jamar Chaney, Mississippi State
OT/OG Ciron Black, LSU

Colbert:

G Chris Scott, Tennessee
WR Antonio Brown, Central Michigan
DE Doug Worthington, Ohio State

There you have it!

NJ-STEELER
04-24-2010, 05:55 PM
not bad

supposedly we had talks about acquiring BMAC for a few days, so i can understand not taking a corner earlier