PDA

View Full Version : POUNCEY!!1

hawaiiansteel
04-22-2010, 09:28 PM
:Clap :tt2

well, Hartwig is one of the worst centers in the league...

birtikidis
04-22-2010, 09:29 PM
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES
our offensive line is now a hundred times better than last year!

BradshawsHairdresser
04-22-2010, 09:35 PM
Pardon me for not getting too excited. I can't help thinking the guy might have been a second-round talent most years.

pfelix73
04-22-2010, 09:41 PM
Yea, he's a rook. We'll see.....
:tt1

Ghost
04-22-2010, 09:44 PM
I like it! Like it a lot.

SteelBucks
04-22-2010, 09:47 PM
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES
our offensive line is now a hundred times better than last year!

I assumed you'd like the pick. I'd have taken Bulaga.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
04-22-2010, 09:50 PM
Yea, he's a rook. We'll see.....

Hey Dirt ... they're ALL rooks!! :Cheers :Boobs :lol:

birtikidis
04-22-2010, 09:54 PM
Pardon me for not getting too excited. I can't help thinking the guy might have been a second-round talent most years.
well it's good thing you went to cosmotology school because your football knowledge is kinda week.

Iron Shiek
04-22-2010, 10:15 PM
I cant say I'm disappointed, but just glad we haven't traded ben yet.

Geez, I go to Cancun on vacation for a week and all hell breaks loose.

Well off to go drink more tequilia, lets get some good talent the next couple days.

Cheers. :Beer :Beer :Cheers

hawaiiansteel
04-22-2010, 10:18 PM
I cant say I'm disappointed, but just glad we haven't traded ben yet.

Geez, I go to Cancun on vacation for a week and all hell breaks loose.

Well off to go drink more tequilia, lets get some good talent the next couple days.

Cheers. :Beer :Beer :Cheers

you are never allowed to go to Cancun for a week ever again... :lol:

Iron Shiek
04-22-2010, 10:20 PM
Haha...hawaii. I told my girlfriend that same thing. I leave and all hell broke loose nearly. 8 page threads about our qb are never good to see when i finally get a chance to check the message board. Ughh...I'm ready for the season to start!

Sugar
04-22-2010, 10:25 PM
Not a bad player, just a bad value IMO. IF we had to do something on the OL, we could've had Bulaga. After last years debacles in not being able to close out games, I really wanted to see Defense for about the first three rounds.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-22-2010, 10:30 PM
Not a bad player, just a bad value IMO. IF we had to do something on the OL, we could've had Bulaga. After last years debacles in not being able to close out games, I really wanted to see Defense for about the first three rounds.

A running attack can close out games as well, or better, than improving the D.

Iron Shiek
04-22-2010, 10:32 PM
Exactly TO. If this is then next Steeler Center to take the reigns of past Steeler Centers then I love the pick. Only time will tell. I can see the argument about value at that pick. But I'm fairly certain they explored their options in regards to trading down. I feel confident the FO that this was the best move for the team. I guess we'll see.

AngryAsian
04-22-2010, 10:33 PM
I would rather us draft an heir apparent to Hartwig than Hampton... I think Hampton has more in the tank... plus I'm really tired of us ignoring the OL for so long.

BradshawsHairdresser
04-22-2010, 10:42 PM
well it's good thing you went to cosmotology school because your football knowledge is kinda week.

Kind of like your spelling. :wink:

I might not be the sharpest purveyor of football talent, but I'm not the only one who thinks there was better value at #18 than Pouncey. If Pouncey was the man the Steelers were set on, I think they could have traded back and still grabbed him later on.

NJ-STEELER
04-22-2010, 10:45 PM
its a toss up at who was the worst starter for the steelers last year...harwig or gay

at least gay is young and can improve

hartwig, not so much

NJ-STEELER
04-22-2010, 10:47 PM

I might not be the sharpest purveyor of football talent, but I'm not the only one who thinks there was better value at #18 than Pouncey. If Pouncey was the man the Steelers were set on, I think they could have traded back and still grabbed him later on.

who's to say another team doesn't take him... theyre was a lot of movement around that time in the draft...some team could have swopped in and taken him.

like the jets did with Revis

phillyesq
04-22-2010, 10:59 PM

who's to say another team doesn't take him... theyre was a lot of movement around that time in the draft...some team could have swopped in and taken him.

like the jets did with Revis

The Falcons may well have taken him at 19. I'm not thrilled with a center at 18, but if he is their guy, and he pans out, I'll have no complaints.

birtikidis
04-22-2010, 11:21 PM

Pouncey would have been gone 19... no doubt. Atlanta loved him

hawaiiansteel
04-22-2010, 11:23 PM

I might not be the sharpest purveyor of football talent, but I'm not the only one who thinks there was better value at #18 than Pouncey. If Pouncey was the man the Steelers were set on, I think they could have traded back and still grabbed him later on.Pouncey would have been gone 19... no doubt. Atlanta loved him

:Agree

steelblood
04-22-2010, 11:23 PM
I really dislike the pick. It is okay to take a center in the middle of the first round, but he better have real pro bowl potential. I don't see that. I think we took a guy whose real value was in the late 1st round. I would have taken Bulaga (and I don't love his game either), but he was a good value at that pick and could take over for Colon (if he leaves or kicks inside) or even play guard himself. Bulaga would also give us a great backup at both tackles (something we don't have and desperately need).

birtikidis
04-22-2010, 11:24 PM
you talk about value and then say take Bulaga. what are you smoking? we have a plethora of tackles on the team that have been strong players for the last few years. so, would you just let him sit? Pouncey can come in and start today. that is value.

cruzer8
04-22-2010, 11:26 PM
Dan Williams and Brian Bulaga were both there. :cry:

birtikidis
04-22-2010, 11:28 PM
you guys are nuts
colon rated as our best tackle
hampton is a pro bowler
HARTWIG SUCKS NOW, HE SUCKED BEFORE, AND HE WILL SUCK LATER.
we got a starter. right now. today. that is value.

NJ-STEELER
04-22-2010, 11:28 PM
bulaga gonna bust

IMO

cruzer8
04-22-2010, 11:30 PM
We are going to regret this pick.

NKySteeler
04-22-2010, 11:31 PM
I'm really tired of us ignoring the OL for so long.

X2.....

pfelix73
04-22-2010, 11:33 PM
Well, as far as starting- maybe- you can't realistically say on April 22nd that he'll start for us on day 1 in September. He could. I hope he does. Realistically, if they put him in at RG right now he'll have to hold it down, because he'll have Essex and Foster- who already have playing time- right there if he stumbles.

But yes, he's the future C now- better be with where he was picked. Barring injuries,etc. knock on wood.

I still say do not count out Legursky. Strongest OL on the team.

SteelBucks
04-22-2010, 11:34 PM
you guys are nuts
hampton is a pro bowler

You may have to live with Hartwig a little longer. From TIOPS: "Tomlin said that Pouncey was drafted because he can make an immediate impact at Guard for the Steelers".

NKySteeler
04-22-2010, 11:36 PM
you guys are nuts
hampton is a pro bowler

I know you are somewhat biased, but I couldn't agree more with your comments on this pick...

Now... Will he start?.... Trials at camp will tell.

hawaiiansteel
04-22-2010, 11:38 PM
you guys are nuts
hampton is a pro bowler

I know you are somewhat biased, but I couldn't agree more with your comments on this pick...

Now... Will he start?.... Trials at camp will tell.

i'm hearing Pouncey will be given his first chance to start at RG, not C...he will need time to learn the line calls.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-22-2010, 11:40 PM

Watching the NFLN coverage, when the 19th pick was on the clock they were saying that they thought that Atlanta was interested in Pouncey. It is possible that he would have fallen, but not a certainty if he was the guy that they really wanted.

hawaiiansteel
04-23-2010, 12:00 AM
I would like to give special props to MaxAMillion and birtikidis, two posters who no matter what all the Pouncey naysayers said (you know who you are :lol: ), never wavered in their love for Maurkice Pouncey.

here's to you guys... :Cheers

RuthlessBurgher
04-23-2010, 12:10 AM
you talk about value and then say take Bulaga. what are you smoking? we have a plethora of tackles on the team that have been strong players for the last few years. so, would you just let him sit? Pouncey can come in and start today. that is value.

Plethora of tackles? What? Who? Where?

We have Starks and Colon (and Colon is playing on a one-year tender...he may ask for more than we are willing to pay on an extension). Behind them are Tony Hills and Jonathan Scott. Ugh... If either Starks or Colon get hurt, our only option is to move Essex from guard to tackle. We need a quality backup tackle that could play on both the left or right side, and could replace Colon if we are unable to extend him. Bulaga would have been that guy (and in the mean time, he could have started out at RG, which is where we plan to start out Pouncey anyway).

BigRob
04-23-2010, 12:17 AM
Wow, this makes me like this kid more. Per Wexell:

"Tomlin also called Pouncey “a finisher” who not only proved his toughness in the SEC against star nose tackles such as Terrence Cody and Dan Williams, but Pouncey proved it in the Sugar Bowl by playing against Cincinnati after spending a few days in the hospital that week with kidney stones. He suited up and recorded seven knockdowns without giving up a tackle and was graded at 94 percent for blocking consistency.

Pouncey was only the seventh true freshman to start a season opener at Florida, and as a right guard went on to make the Freshman All-America first team as named by College Football News. In 2008, as Florida’s center, he was named the Sophomore All-America first team by the same outlet.

Last year, Pouncey earned All-America honors after not allowing any sacks or pressures in 919 offensive snaps."

hawaiiansteel
04-23-2010, 12:27 AM
i've had kidney stones and it was the most pain i've ever been in my entire life, starting in a football game after you've spent 5 hours in a hospital the night before is pretty amazing!

Pouncey hospitalized before Sugar Bowl

NEW ORLEANS -- Florida guard Maurkice Pouncey has started the Allstate Sugar Bowl despite spending more than five hours at Tulane Hospital because of kidney stones.

Team officials say Pouncey had a CT scan that showed no kidney obstruction. He received four bags of intravenous fluids and was cleared to play by team physician Dr. Jay Clugston.

Pouncey, a 6-foot-5, 310-pound junior from Lakeland, Fla., has started every game this season at right guard.

Friday night's Sugar Bowl against Cincinnati could be Pouncey's last game for the Gators. He is rated among the top offensive linemen in college football and is considering entering the NFL draft next spring.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls09/n ... id=4789205 (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls09/news/story?id=4789205)

hawaiiansteel
04-23-2010, 01:08 AM
Florida's Maurkice and Mike Pouncey share tastes and classes off the field, are competitive with each other on it

Gregarious Gators: Offensive-line twins strikingly similar

Florida offensive linemen and twin brothers Mike, left, and Maurkice Pouncey smile during media day at Dolphins Stadium in Miami on Monday. Teammates and coaches have trouble telling the brothers apart. AP photo

http://photos.newsok.com/2/showimage/532644/lead620/

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — Louis Murphy plays receiver for Florida. Mike and Maurkice Pouncey block for the Gators on the very same offense.

But don’t ask Murphy to tell the Pouncey twins apart.

"I still can’t tell,” Murphy said. "I just call them Pouncey. When we’re doing the film, I say, ‘Turn around, which one are you?’ I still don’t know.”

The Pounceys are dead ringers. There are two major differences in the sophomores: 1) Maurkice plays center and Mike plays right guard; 2) Mike’s arms are tattooed with fire, Maurkice’s with his parents names.

"We do everything together,” Mike Pouncey said.

They room together, both at Florida and here for the national title game. They like the same food and the same shoes. They took the same classes last semester.

They’ve been apart only once in their lives. Maurkice flew to Houston for a week to visit a girlfriend. Mike "would text me all the time, ‘whatcha doing?’

"I’d die for my brother. I love him to death.”

They came from Lakeland, Fla., and never planned to break up. The NFL might cause that, of course, but until then...

"They are really competitive against each other,” said Florida offensive-line coach Steve Addazio. "Against everybody. They want to win everything they do.

"They are so similar, it’s kind of comical. When one gets hurt in the practice, the other gets hurt.”

Mike doesn’t understand the confusion over their looks. "We don’t look that much alike,” he said. "I’ve got a fatter face. I think I’ve got more scars than him.”

But the confused Gators slide by with calling both twins "Pouncey.”

Addazio said he has the Pounceys down pat: "I’ve got it. Mike’s arms are on fire. Maurkice’s aren’t. I’ve got it.”

Read more: http://newsok.com/offensive-line-twins- ... z0ltf4Tn6h (http://newsok.com/offensive-line-twins-strikingly-similar/article/3335859#ixzz0ltf4Tn6h)

RuthlessBurgher
04-23-2010, 01:10 AM
i've had kidney stones and it was the most pain i've ever been in my entire life, starting in a football game after you've spent 5 hours in a hospital the night before is pretty amazing!

NEW ORLEANS -- Florida guard Maurkice Pouncey has started the Allstate Sugar Bowl despite spending more than five hours at Tulane Hospital because of kidney stones.

Team officials say Pouncey had a CT scan that showed no kidney obstruction. He received four bags of intravenous fluids and was cleared to play by team physician Dr. Jay Clugston.

Pouncey, a 6-foot-5, 310-pound junior from Lakeland, Fla., has started every game this season at right guard.

Friday night's Sugar Bowl against Cincinnati could be Pouncey's last game for the Gators. He is rated among the top offensive linemen in college football and is considering entering the NFL draft next spring.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls09/n ... id=4789205 (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls09/news/story?id=4789205)

The highlighted sentence is true, I suppose, because a first name was not specified. It was Maurkice's twin brother Mike who started at RG, while Maurkice started at center. As I mentioned in the chat room, perhaps we can draft Mike next year to be our RG of the future, to play next to his brother once again. Starks-Kemoeatu-Pouncey-Pouncey-Colon could be a solid o-line in 2011.

birtikidis
04-23-2010, 01:15 AM

We have Starks and Colon (and Colon is playing on a one-year tender...he may ask for more than we are willing to pay on an extension). Behind them are Tony Hills and Jonathan Scott. Ugh... If either Starks or Colon get hurt, our only option is to move Essex from guard to tackle. We need a quality backup tackle that could play on both the left or right side, and could replace Colon if we are unable to extend him. Bulaga would have been that guy (and in the mean time, he could have started out at RG, which is where we plan to start out Pouncey anyway).
plethora may have been too strong of a word, but... Foster IS a tackle, Essex WAS a tackle (and drafted as one), Scott is a tackle, and Hills. that is at least 3 backup tackles and swing men. that's pretty good depth considering that Essex and Foster can play 2 positions.

RuthlessBurgher
04-23-2010, 01:38 AM

plethora may have been too strong of a word, but... Foster IS a tackle, Essex WAS a tackle (and drafted as one), Scott is a tackle, and Hills. that is at least 3 backup tackles and swing men. that's pretty good depth considering that Essex and Foster can play 2 positions.

That's nowhere near quality depth, though. If any of those guys had to start at tackle for an extended period of time if one of our started got injured, I think another concussion for Ben is virtually inevitable (unless, of course, this happened in September, then a concussion for Leftwich or Dixon is virtually inevitable).

birtikidis
04-23-2010, 01:42 AM
I don't know, I think Foster or Essex could be quality tackles. I'm not sold on Hills, but I do like the other two...
I was chatting with someone on Facebook (can't remember his screen name here), but he made a good point that the Larry Z philosophy of moving guys around from position to position hurts the development of some of these guys. that may be what hurt Urbik last year. they were trying him at 3 different positions. let him learn one and then go from there. why is Foster learning a ton of different positions? I don't think we need 3 swing men. i mean seriously already.

Chadman
04-23-2010, 01:46 AM
Pouncey-Pouncey-Colon

You simply cannot have a pouncey, pouncey colon & be considered a fearsome football team.

:D

Oviedo
04-23-2010, 08:13 AM

That's been my point all along. He was not best value at #18. I won't fault them for nottrading down because that requires a partner.

Now that he is actually a Steeler, I will be his biggest fan and hope he becomes the greatest Center ever.

Oviedo
04-23-2010, 08:17 AM

The highlighted sentence is true, I suppose, because a first name was not specified. It was Maurkice's twin brother Mike who started at RG, while Maurkice started at center. As I mentioned in the chat room, perhaps we can draft Mike next year to be our RG of the future, to play next to his brother once again. Starks-Kemoeatu-Pouncey-Pouncey-Colon could be a solid o-line in 2011.

My prediction is that Kemo becomes the odd man out eventually. His contract is not that big and easy to dump and he has not impressed as a dominant Guard. His pass blocking is a liability. I think Urbik will eventually push him out of the line up.

hawaiiansteel
04-23-2010, 01:17 PM

My prediction is that Kemo becomes the odd man out eventually. His contract is not that big and easy to dump and he has not impressed as a dominant Guard. His pass blocking is a liability. I think Urbik will eventually push him out of the line up.

Urbik has been a disappointment and has shown nothing so far. this is from Jim Wexell during camp last year...

Kraig Urbik

Of any player the Steelers drafted in the 2009 draft, Kraig Urbik was expected to have the greatest chance of becoming a starter. Darnell Stapleton struggled in spots during 2008 season and was expected to be pushed by the rookie guard from Wisconsin. As predicted, Stapleton will likely lose the starting job, but it will be to Trai Essex and not Kraig Urbik. Urbik has been the most disappointing of all the rookies. He has lacked power against the defensive lineman and generally looks lost. Early on in camp, he became Tomlin's "whipping boy" after making repeated mistakes. In the first preseason game, he failed generate much push off the line against Arizona's third team. His play against Washington wasn't much better.

Quotables:
"Ramon Foster is a better player than Kraig urbik. Urbik, frankly, is too soft. And I'm stunned" - Jim Wexell

"The second practice — when we started doing one-on-ones — that was a huge, rude awakening," said Urbik, one of three third-round picks the Steelers made in the NFL draft at the end of April. "You have to have perfect technique every time. I did bad on it, so it's really an eye-opener that you really have to hone your technique."

Likelihood of making team: 70%
The Steelers will give Urbik a chance to improve. It would be awfully rare for the front office to cut its second pick in the draft without giving him at least a year to develop.

http://steezbros.blogspot.com/2009/08/k ... rooks.html

NW Steeler
04-23-2010, 01:28 PM

Well then you have a lot more faith in Urbik's future than some of us do. I only go by what I've read, and I've never read ONE good thing about Urbik. To think that he will push out Kemo is pretty optimistic. I don't see it, but I hope you are right. Pouncey will move to C by year two (if things go according to plan) and we will still need a RG.

Oviedo
04-23-2010, 01:35 PM

Urbik has been a disappointment and has shown nothing so far. this is from Jim Wexell during camp last year...

Kraig Urbik

Of any player the Steelers drafted in the 2009 draft, Kraig Urbik was expected to have the greatest chance of becoming a starter. Darnell Stapleton struggled in spots during 2008 season and was expected to be pushed by the rookie guard from Wisconsin. As predicted, Stapleton will likely lose the starting job, but it will be to Trai Essex and not Kraig Urbik. Urbik has been the most disappointing of all the rookies. He has lacked power against the defensive lineman and generally looks lost. Early on in camp, he became Tomlin's "whipping boy" after making repeated mistakes. In the first preseason game, he failed generate much push off the line against Arizona's third team. His play against Washington wasn't much better.

Quotables:
"Ramon Foster is a better player than Kraig urbik. Urbik, frankly, is too soft. And I'm stunned" - Jim Wexell

"The second practice — when we started doing one-on-ones — that was a huge, rude awakening," said Urbik, one of three third-round picks the Steelers made in the NFL draft at the end of April. "You have to have perfect technique every time. I did bad on it, so it's really an eye-opener that you really have to hone your technique."

Likelihood of making team: 70%
The Steelers will give Urbik a chance to improve. It would be awfully rare for the front office to cut its second pick in the draft without giving him at least a year to develop.

http://steezbros.blogspot.com/2009/08/k ... rooks.html

Key words "LAST YEAR." So you believe a career is defined in the first couple of months of a Pro career. Thank God Noll never felt that way about Bradshaw. Cowher about Harrison, Parker, Hines, etc.

papillon
04-23-2010, 01:36 PM

Pouncey pretty much had his with Williams and Cody in the SEC.

Pappy

cruzer8
04-23-2010, 02:22 PM

Pouncey pretty much had his with Williams and Cody in the SEC.

Pappy

Not sure that's how I'd put it, but I get your point.

hawaiiansteel
04-26-2010, 08:39 PM
Getting Back to Basics

By Jim Wexell
Publisher SteelCityInsider.com

The Steelers wasted no time in getting the card to the commissioner's podium to announce their first-round selection of Florida center Maurkice Pouncey.

PITTSBURGH – As the seams appeared to be coming apart this week, the Pittsburgh Steelers went back to the fundamentals Thursday night and drafted a center, LaShawn Maurkice Pouncey, of Florida, with their first pick in the 2010 draft.
The Steelers have been blessed with a great tradition of centers, but it’s been 69 years since they drafted one in the first round. It’s expected that Pouncey will enjoy a better NFL career than did 1941 first-round pick Chet Gladchuk, who never played with the team.

Pouncey is the second consecutive Rimington Trophy winner (nation’s best center) drafted by the Steelers, and, again, the team hopes Pouncey’s stay with them is longer than that of the previous winner, A.Q. Shipley, who’s now with the Philadelphia Eagles.

“I just want to live up to the tradition,” said Pouncey.

“We not only liked what he did up front,” said Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin, “but here’s a guy who communicated at the line of scrimmage, and even in regards to safety rotations and so forth, this is a guy that’s capable of drawing up all 22 and understanding rotations and stuff that affect protections. He’s really a smart guy and mature beyond his years in that way.”

Pouncey will open his pro career at right guard, but Tomlin would not say what he intends to do with current right guards Trai Essex and last year’s third-round pick Kraig Urbik. It’s likely that Essex will move back to second-team tackle and Pouncey will compete with Urbik for the starting guard job.

“As a young guy coming in,” Tomlin said, “it’s probably easier mentally to play guard because it’s more receiving information as opposed to giving it.”

Pouncey played right guard at Florida his freshman season, before moving to center his last two seasons. He played the pivot next to his identical twin brother Mike, who’ll move to center this year for Florida.

Maurkice played next to his older brother (by a minute) at Lakeland High in Florida and they led the team to three state championships and one mythical national championship (USA Today). They of course also helped Florida win the national championship in 2008 and to a 13-1 record last season.

When Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert was asked if “all of that winning” was a factor in grading Pouncey, Colbert, with a broad smile, said, “It didn’t hurt.”

“That’s all I’ve learned to do,” said Pouncey. “I don’t take losing very good.”

Pouncey is a 6-4˝, 304-pounder who posted a below-average score of 14 on the Wonderlic intelligence test, but he impressed the Steelers with his on-field intelligence.

“Coach (Sean) Kugler had him on the board,” said Colbert, “and Coach Tomlin and I sat back and watched and were very impressed at the way he could recall what he was taught and give it back to Coach Kugler almost flawlessly. And Florida will talk and did talk very highly of his intelligence and his ability to communicate.

“It was clear watching him work with his peers in the weight room and on the field that he was a secondary leader because they really have a great team down there and of course Tim Tebow and Brandon Spikes were leaders, but this kid stood out that he was one of the guys for sure.”

Tomlin also called Pouncey “a finisher” who not only proved his toughness in the SEC against star nose tackles such as Terrence Cody and Dan Williams, but Pouncey proved it in the Sugar Bowl by playing against Cincinnati after spending a few days in the hospital that week with kidney stones. He suited up and recorded seven knockdowns without giving up a tackle and was graded at 94 percent for blocking consistency.

Pouncey was only the seventh true freshman to start a season opener at Florida, and as a right guard went on to make the Freshman All-America first team as named by College Football News. In 2008, as Florida’s center, he was named the Sophomore All-America first team by the same outlet.

Last year, Pouncey earned All-America honors after not allowing any sacks or pressures in 919 offensive snaps.

A fan of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and linebacker Derrick Brooks as a child, Pouncey said he “fell in love” with the Steelers after they interviewed him at the combine.

“It feels great man. I wanted this from day one,” he said. I’m so happy to be a Pittsburgh Steeler.”

Even though he won’t turn 21 until July 24, Pouncey expects to become a part of the Steelers’ starting lineup his first season.

“That’s my plan,” he said.

http://pit.scout.com/2/964804.html

hawaiiansteel
05-01-2010, 11:12 PM
where are all the naysayers now who said you don't draft a center with the 18th pick in the first round?

Harris: Pouncey impresses Steelers players

By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Two days later, Steelers first-round draft pick Maurkice Pouncey still looks like a steal.

To me, drafting Pouncey in the first round reinforces a promise made by team president Art Rooney II that the Steelers will run more this season, especially in traditional running situations.

With the No. 18 pick, it's extremely difficult to obtain a hulking offensive lineman who's also extremely light on his feet.

Not since Alan Faneca, and before him Dermontti Dawson, have the Steelers invested so early in the draft for a blocker whose quick first step gets him into the secondary and atop defenders before they can react.

"He's got real good agility and great feet," said speed and conditioning coach Tom Shaw, who trained Pouncey at Disney's Wide World of Sports prior to the NFL Draft. "He showed up right after Florida's bowl game and worked all the way through. He was already good before he got here, but he got stronger, more explosive and lost body fat.''

Pouncey modestly described his towering 6-foot-4, 304-pound frame as nothing special when so many offensive linemen are pear-shaped.

"I've got a nice little offensive lineman's body — I'm in good shape,'' said Pouncey, who claims he lowered his 40 time from "a high 5.3 to a low 5.2, almost 5.1'' while working with Shaw. "I wanted to run better, and I learned so much technique. I've got a great twitch off the ball — so explosive.

"I improved everything.''

Pouncey displays a low-key swagger on the field. He carries himself differently from other offensive linemen, some of who attempt to hide their bulky frames under loose-fitting clothes.

Pouncey does nothing of the sort. He's like the 7-foot basketball player who stands tall and doesn't duck down to make himself appear shorter so as not to bring attention to himself.

"He wants to show off," Shaw said. "There's no fat on this kid.

"It's all about how hard he works. He comes in 30 minutes before we're supposed to be there, and he gets 30 minutes of cardio in on the bike just to get warmed up before we even start. He doesn't want to lose at anything. He wants to be the best. He's dedicated.''

Pouncey trained briefly in Florida with Steelers defensive starters and Shaw regulars James Farrior, Ike Taylor and William Gay.

Taylor came away impressed with the big kid who never took a drill off and didn't permit anyone — NFL or college player — to outwork him.

"For a guy that size to be that athletic ...'' Taylor said without finishing the sentence.

"He's a dog,'' Taylor continued. "What I mean is, he's aggressive on the field. You look at our offensive linemen — Willie Colon, Chris Kemoeatu. Those guys are real aggressive, too.

"I worked out with him, so I know what type of guy we've got. He's going to make a Pro Bowl sooner than people expect.''

Even if Pouncey is a rookie, it doesn't change his bottom line.

Just because he still looks like a kid doesn't mean he plays like one.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 77994.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_677994.html)