PDA

View Full Version : Pouncey Predictions

phillyesq
04-22-2010, 10:06 AM
So far, Wexell, Lolley and Bouchette have all predicted that Pouncey will be the Steelers pick. With Colbert saying that the Steelers are likely to trade back, Pouncey is starting to sound like he'll be the guy.

My gut kind of says the same thing. Most years, by draft time, there comes one player that I don't want to see the Steelers draft. Almost inevitably, they draft that player. Not surprisingly, the Steelers usually demonstrate that they have a better knowledge of players than I do. Among those I didn't want to see as the pick were Big Ben (didn't like a small school QB) and Heath (afraid they would under-utilize him). Timmons was another (I still don't think he has provided the value you expect from a premium pick).

So I'm starting to resign myself to a selection of Pouncey. I hope that I'm wrong, and that if chosen, he demonstrates himself worthy of the pick.

WoodleyofTroy
04-22-2010, 10:15 AM
If a top talent falls to #18, that all goes out the window (consensus picks).

It's easy to predict who you think the Steelers like (Pouncey), but that's assuming the NFL Draft goes without any surprises. Which is never.

pfelix73
04-22-2010, 10:21 AM
I just have this feeling that something is going to happen that we have taken into account yet. I think they are propping up the OL, just because they want to throw others off the path, so to speak- I think that's what all teams try to do.

Still think we're looking at defensive help in the 1st few rounds.

The surprise in the 1st could be an OT.....IF one of those guys would fall down the boards. Should make for an interesting evening.....

:tt1

WoodleyofTroy
04-22-2010, 10:23 AM
I just have this feeling that something is going to happen that we have taken into account yet. I think they are propping up the OL, just because they want to throw others off the path, so to speak- I think that's what all teams try to do.

Still think we're looking at defensive help in the 1st few rounds.

The surprise in the 1st could be an OT.....IF one of those guys would fall down the boards. Should make for an interesting evening.....

I can see Anthony Davis being the pick.

TD386Steel
04-22-2010, 10:31 AM
I dont know how you guys feel about him. I've heard alot about him. Like hes not worth the 18th pick, not as good as Mangold or Mack, not a blue chip player. So I'd be disappointed if we take him at 18.

pfelix73
04-22-2010, 10:32 AM
I know- I could see it being this guy too-

Bruce Campbell- he seems to be all over the boards depending on which one you read.

http://shell-games.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/ncf_e_campbell_600.jpg

BigRob
04-22-2010, 10:32 AM
I am going to go out on a limb and project our pick for 18.

18. Charles Brown OT USC

Nobody has mentioned him, but he is first round talent and I like him better than Anthony Davis.

pfelix73
04-22-2010, 10:38 AM
There ya go- good thought.

Now if it is a OT we all called it here first.... lol

Shawn
04-22-2010, 10:47 AM
I dont know how you guys feel about him. I've heard alot about him. Like hes not worth the 18th pick, not as good as Mangold or Mack, not a blue chip player. So I'd be disappointed if we take him at 18.

Where are you getting that? Many scouts are saying Pouncey could be the best Center in the last 10 years. It's some of the "experts" here who believe the system he played in will keep him from being a quality NFL center.

WoodleyofTroy
04-22-2010, 12:07 PM

Where are you getting that? Many scouts are saying Pouncey could be the best Center in the last 10 years. It's some of the "experts" here who believe the system he played in will keep him from being a quality NFL center.

Not sure where he got that either. The only reason I started to like Pouncey is due to him having the Mangold / Mack comparisons..

pfelix73
04-22-2010, 12:20 PM
Well, even the expert scouts have been known to be wrong- it's a crap shoot.. Pouncey could be the best or he could be a 2nd teamer for 8 years too.

WoodleyofTroy
04-22-2010, 12:29 PM
Well, even the expert scouts have been known to be wrong- it's a crap shoot.. Pouncey could be the best or he could be a 2nd teamer for 8 years too.

That's true with guys labeled as "athletic, raw, huge potential" , but every time I read someone in the first round as "safe pick, you know what you're getting, smart" ...they always pan out.

Shawn
04-22-2010, 12:31 PM

That's true with guys labeled as "athletic, raw, huge potential" , but every time I read someone in the first round as "safe pick, you know what you're getting, smart" ...they always pan out.

Exactly...that's why I'm not sold on Iupati. Pouncey is a different beast...very much the Heath Miller of centers. He does everything well, is fundamentally sound and will quietly put up a really great career.

TD386Steel
04-22-2010, 12:40 PM

It was Charley Casserly of the NFL Network.