PDA

View Full Version : Given circumstances, Ben trade could make long term sense...

TallyStiller
04-21-2010, 09:54 PM
Said when this broke I felt there was a decent shot that Ben was gone by camp... don't get me wrong, I love watching him play and would hate watching him play elsewhere, BUT

a. this franchise is owned by Irisah catholics who take their family and Christian values seriously... I think this is becoming clearly evident, and

b. the defense has always been the foundation of Steeler football. This unit is getting old. Top 4 DL in their 30's, Farrior and Harrison wrong side of 30, secondary old, injury prone, or unproven... we're facing a SERIOUS falloff there soon, much like what we saw in New England the last couple of years. Brady is still very good, but he can't win a title by himself. By doing the right thing morally in banishing Ben to Al Davis - dom, we get a heap of high picks in one of the most talent laden drafts in years to rebuild the D on the fly, allowing us to maintain consistent excellence with only a slight hiccup in the short term due to offensive struggles that would have happened regardless, given Ben's suspension PLUS

c. We would have a secure future in which we would never have to worry about Ben or any other player coming in here and behaving like an azz, because they'd know that NOBODY is bigger than Steeler football.

JAR
04-21-2010, 10:04 PM
Said when this broke I felt there was a decent shot that Ben was gone by camp... don't get me wrong, I love watching him play and would hate watching him play elsewhere, BUT

a. this franchise is owned by Irisah catholics who take their family and Christian values seriously... I think this is becoming clearly evident, and

b. the defense has always been the foundation of Steeler football. This unit is getting old. Top 4 DL in their 30's, Farrior and Harrison wrong side of 30, secondary old, injury prone, or unproven... we're facing a SERIOUS falloff there soon, much like what we saw in New England the last couple of years. Brady is still very good, but he can't win a title by himself. By doing the right thing morally in banishing Ben to Al Davis - dom, we get a heap of high picks in one of the most talent laden drafts in years to rebuild the D on the fly, allowing us to maintain consistent excellence with only a slight hiccup in the short term due to offensive struggles that would have happened regardless, given Ben's suspension PLUS

c. We would have a secure future in which we would never have to worry about Ben or any other player coming in here and behaving like an azz, because they'd know that NOBODY is bigger than Steeler football.

The Steelers have never won a SB without a franchise QB at the helm. Just think what those 90's teams with those killer defenses could have done with a QB. The fact is, they've been there, done that and never won a thing without a good QB.

Shawn
04-21-2010, 10:14 PM
If you believe losing Ben would be a slight hiccup...then you need to relook at your reasoning.

steelblood
04-21-2010, 10:23 PM
Sure it COULD work out. Ben COULD continue to self-destruct and the picks we get for him COULD pan out and be all-pros. However, this is unlikely.

Steeler Expat
04-22-2010, 08:42 AM
If you believe losing Ben would be a slight hiccup...then you need to put down the crack pipe.