PDA

View Full Version : Art II on Ben

fordfixer
04-21-2010, 05:13 PM
http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio ... b04bf005dc (http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/audio/Art-Rooney-II-Conference-Call---4-21-2010/e20e265f-473a-46e1-aa46-dbb04bf005dc)

fordfixer
04-21-2010, 05:20 PM
Rooney supports suspension
Wednesday, April 21, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10111/1052260-100.stm

Steelers President Art Rooney said today he supports the 4-6 game suspension of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

"We were prepared to impose discipline" if Goodell did not, Rooney said in a conference call this afternoon.

Rooney also said it appears the NFL Players Association is satisfied with Goodell's ruling as well.

"My understanding is the players association does not plan to appeal it," Rooney said. "Obviously, they need to review it and discuss it with Ben."

A spokesman for the NFLPA said the union would have no comment "at this time." Roethlisberger's agent, Ryan Tollner, said that "at some point" the quarterback or his representatives will speak on the matter.

Goodell and Rooney informed Roethlisberger of the decision this morning, the Steelers president said. The team also conducted its own investigation into the matter and "we felt we had all the information we needed to have this decision be made," Rooney said.

brothervad
04-21-2010, 05:27 PM
I know there are some of you out there (not sure how many) that think appealing would be a good idea for Ben and his team, but that would be the worst thing in the world for him to do.

honestly, the best thing that Ben can do right now is show contrition. Fighting this will do nothing more than worsen a bad situation.

And possibly exact the very trade that many of you do not want.

brothervad

Flasteel
04-21-2010, 05:34 PM
I know there are some of you out there (not sure how many) that think appealing would be a good idea for Ben and his team, but that would be the worst thing in the world for him to do.

honestly, the best thing that Ben can do right now is show contrition. Fighting this will do nothing more than worsen a bad situation.

And possibly exact the very trade that many of you do not want.

brothervad

You're totally right on that.

fezziwig
04-21-2010, 08:56 PM
Six games for six SB wins. Ben needs time to eat all the humble pie he possibly can. As much as I want Ben to be the starter he, needs punished. I do however feel 6 games for a guy that they had no proof against is a bit much. I think he is guilty as all get out but, there is something to be thought about for being punished when, not enough evidence even to have you called in for an interview.

Djfan
04-22-2010, 12:10 AM
Six games for six SB wins. Ben needs time to eat all the humble pie he possibly can. As much as I want Ben to be the starter he, needs punished. I do however feel 6 games for a guy that they had no proof against is a bit much. I think he is guilty as all get out but, there is something to be thought about for being punished when, not enough evidence even to have you called in for an interview.

To all you Fezz haters: He is right here.

SteelCrazy
04-22-2010, 12:22 AM

What interview did not exist on lack of evidence?

SS Laser
04-22-2010, 12:36 AM
The fact that Ben never had to talk to cops after that night.

I think a bunch of you guys just read what you wanted to about this incident.

cruzer8
04-22-2010, 10:47 AM

I disagree with the part in red.

The fact that Ben never had to talk to cops after that night.

I think a bunch of you guys just read what you wanted to about this incident.

No doubt about it.

Northern_Blitz
04-22-2010, 11:20 AM
Six games for six SB wins.

I think it's almost guarenteed to be 4 games. Ben just needs to go to counsiling and show that he's sorry. Unless Ben is really stupid, it will be 4 games.

"We were prepared to impose discipline" if Goodell did not, Rooney said in a conference call this afternoon.

I wonder if the league would have given a lesser/no suspension without the Rooney's. It sounds like they have been active in seeking discipline in this case. The max suspension the team could have given out would have been 4 games.

I wonder if they told the league they were going to give the max anyway. Then the league says we'll give him 6, that can be reduced to the 4 he was going to get anyway. The condition for reduction is counselling.

This way, Ben's counselling and remorse if very public (maybe as public as the allegations themselves). The NFL and the team end up looking good because they were stern, but gave Ben a chance at redemption. Ben ends up looking better because he took the olive branch and started to change his life for the better. He can then start rebuilding his brand. In a couple years, it will be just like Kobe and few will remember.

The NFL are masters of PR and I think this decision makes good sense.

BURGH86STEEL
04-22-2010, 11:23 AM

I agree. I believe it will get reduced to 4. That is, if Ben is able to comply with the requests by the league and organization.

fezziwig
04-22-2010, 11:27 AM

haters ?