PDA

View Full Version : How will this change Ben?

RussBII
04-21-2010, 02:50 PM
Let's assume he stays a Steeler. I think that's the most likely anyway...

How does this change him on the field? Is he more tentative? Plays it safer? Takes even longer in the pocket? Any thoughts?

sd steel
04-21-2010, 03:01 PM
I am tending to think that this will have an extremely negative impact on Ben's on field play, especially in the short term. I know their are alot of fans on this board that will support Ben no matter what, but a lot of fans in the stands will probably give him hell especially if he isn't playing great. He is going to have to put up with alot of crap anywhere he plays, but I think Pittsburgh is going to let him hear how they feel if he plays poorly which I think will affect his on field performance.

It the long term, if he has to quit partying, and live by the conduct policy he could rededicate himself to the game, spend more time in the film room and practice field instead of going out and hitting the clubs, it could have a positive impact down the road. But I think it will depend on the adversity that lays ahead when he gets back on the field.

SteelAbility
04-21-2010, 03:09 PM
Off the field it will probably changes his external actions. Whether or not it changes him internally is a whole different story.

On the field, I don't think it will change him a bit. He's Alpha Male Lion all the way when it comes to playing QB.

RussBII
04-21-2010, 03:11 PM
Off the field it will probably changes his external actions. Whether or not it changes him internally is a whole different story.

On the field, I don't think it will change him a bit. He's Alpha Male Lion all the way when it comes to playing QB.

I think SD Steel has a point though. The first (and probably next 400) times he does something stupid, or throws a bad pick, they folks in the stands will unleash. If that happens enough, w/o him receiving any positive feedback for doing well... it will crush him. It would crush anyone.

JTP53609
04-21-2010, 03:11 PM
from all I am hearing it is 50/50 on him wearing another team uni next year

RuthlessBurgher
04-21-2010, 08:20 PM
I agree that it will change how he gets treated by the home crowd (not by me, or others like SN1, I would imagine) but there will be fans who will be looking to be vocal (in a negative manner) at the first sign of anything he does wrong (holds the ball too long and takes a sack, severely underthrows a wide open Mike Wallace, throws a pick, etc.) simply because of this drama.

Pittsburgh fans always treated their QB's rather harshly (to say the least) to the point that a Hall of Fame QB who brought us 4 Lombardi trophies refused to return to the city for several decades after he retired. Ben, for the most part, has been immune to such treatment thus far (a 13-0 start as a rookie followed up by our first championship in 25 years will buy you favor among the masses). It remains to be seen how he will respond to be roundly booed at home. I think he responds to it well, like he typically does when he faces pressure on the field of play. I don't think he changes his style of play one iota.