PDA

View Full Version : Steelers called the Browns!?

phillyesq
04-21-2010, 02:29 PM
Schefter reported that the Steelers called the following to see if they were interested in trading for Ben:

Rams, 49ers, Raiders, Bills, Jaguars, Seahawks and Browns.

Also reporting that Rams and Bills have no interest.

Jom112
04-21-2010, 02:30 PM
I'm not sure what's more shocking, that the Steelers are calling these teams. Or that these teams aren't falling all over themselves to get Ben?

feltdizz
04-21-2010, 02:31 PM
GTFOH!!!

I would find myself on the fence if we traded Ben to the browns.

but it would put him in a place where winning would be very difficult.

What is going on with teams trading players to rivals lately?

ANPSTEEL
04-21-2010, 02:32 PM
Schefter reported that the Steelers called the following to see if they were interested in trading for Ben:

I can not imagine that was anything but a - I wonder if Holmgren would sell the farm for a winning QB??

I think it would take 3 firsts for the team to trade Ben within the division.

I think all the other teams would consider him.

RussBII
04-21-2010, 02:33 PM
GTFOH!!!

I would find myself on the fence if we traded Ben to the browns.

but it would put him in a place where winning would be very difficult.

What is going on with teams trading players to rivals lately?

Man don't give him to a potentially up and coming division rival... He'll play with hate and vigor against us... Do not want...

Steel Life
04-21-2010, 02:33 PM
I think this is BS...I just don't see him being shopped like that. We're gonna hear a ton of unsubstantiated crap over the next few days...believe some of what you see & none of what you hear.

pfelix73
04-21-2010, 02:35 PM
Need to put this in perspective- According to Ed Buchetter- these teams are calling the Steelers- not the other way around- he was in the Steelers offices last night and heard this.

Not sure if it matters- well yea, I think it does.

:tt1

papillon
04-21-2010, 02:35 PM

I can not imagine that was anything but a - I wonder if Holmgren would sell the farm for a winning QB??

I think it would take 3 firsts for the team to trade Ben within the division.

I think all the other teams would consider him.

Any team that is contacted and doesn't consider the trade possibility is criminally stupid. I'm hoping for a lot of criminally stupid GMs.

Pappy

snarky
04-21-2010, 02:39 PM
Ugh, if this is true I read it as meaning they are hell bent on trading him.

Snatch98
04-21-2010, 02:41 PM
I don't see why Art Jr. and Sr. would go on the record about rehabilitating Ben and giving him a second chance if they planned to trade him after the suspension was handed down. The only feasible explanation if there is merit to the trade talks is if he does in fact want out of Pittsburgh. Either way I'll be more than shocked if he's traded, I'll be sick to my damn stomach.

phillyesq
04-21-2010, 02:43 PM
Need to put this in perspective- According to Ed Buchetter- these teams are calling the Steelers- not the other way around- he was in the Steelers offices last night and heard this.

I think that is actually a huge difference. If teams are calling the Steelers, that means that they are just listening to see if anybody will give up the farm. If they're calling teams, that seems to indicate that they are looking to trade Ben. I like the first more than the second. If they're looking to trade Ben, they don't have as much leverage from a negotiating standpoint, and have to take what they can get if they decide to go that route.

papillon
04-21-2010, 02:45 PM

I think that is actually a huge difference. If teams are calling the Steelers, that means that they are just listening to see if anybody will give up the farm. If they're calling teams, that seems to indicate that they are looking to trade Ben. I like the first more than the second. If they're looking to trade Ben, they don't have as much leverage from a negotiating standpoint, and have to take what they can get if they decide to go that route.

They'd have to give up two farms before I'd even consider it.

Pappy

Shawn
04-21-2010, 02:56 PM

Yeah well that's Ed...not exactly the most credible source. And that makes zero sense. So, the Rams and Bills just happened to call the Steelers FO to tell them they are not interested in a Qb who is NOT being shopped around? lol...anyone else find that a little funny?

pfelix73
04-21-2010, 03:07 PM
Ed not credible? He's about the most credible in town.

calmkiller
04-21-2010, 03:13 PM
Ed not credible? He's about the most credible in town.

Not really.

screenwriter: Hello Ed, If Ben Roethlisberger is not traded by the end of the draft on Saturday night, would you say with 100% certainty he will remain a Steeler in 2010?

Ed Bouchette: I think I would say that right now. I don't have to wait until Saturday. The trade talk has gotten out of hand.

A day Before is co worker stated that the Steelers were openly shopping him. He isn't even the most knowledgeable in his office...

pfelix73
04-21-2010, 03:21 PM
"Ed Bouchette: I think I would say that right now. I don't have to wait until Saturday. The trade talk has gotten out of hand."

I 100% agree with this. He isn't gonna get traded. So, where is he wrong?

Jom112
04-21-2010, 03:31 PM
@JasonLaCanfora

Steelers have been in contact w/ Raiders regarding Big Ben trade. Might be only real option. More on NFLN and NFL.com

fordfixer
04-21-2010, 03:52 PM

Yeah well that's Ed...not exactly the most credible source. And that makes zero sense. So, the Rams and Bills just happened to call the Steelers FO to tell them they are not interested in a Qb who is NOT being shopped around? lol...anyone else find that a little funny?

It could be that the Rams and the Bill are no longer interested in Ben now that they know what the Steelers wanted to get for him

LouSteel
04-21-2010, 04:58 PM
I don't see why Art Jr. and Sr. would go on the record about rehabilitating Ben and giving him a second chance if they planned to trade him after the suspension was handed down.

What else are they going to say? "Ben's a horrible SOB, and we're going to unload him ASAP"? "Ben's an alcoholic with grabby hands"?

If they don't plan to trade him, they'll talk him up for the fans. If they DO plan to trade him, they'll talk him up for trade value.

The Rooney's actions can go either way, which is why it doesn't matter what they say at this point. Hell, all this trade talk could be completely manufactured by them as a way to make Ben realize that his ass is truly on the line this time.

We won't know until we know. And I'm guessing we won't know until tomorrow evening.

If Ben makes it to 1.18, he's safe.

RuthlessBurgher
04-21-2010, 08:29 PM
They'd have to give up two farms before I'd even consider it.

Pappy

http://www.pepperidgefarm.com/Images/Products/prdLarge_11846.jpghttp://www.sizzleonthegrill.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/hillshiremillerbratweb.jpg

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/carson-palmer_weenie.jpg