PDA

View Full Version : 6 GAMES

RKSteel
04-21-2010, 01:15 PM
http://www.nfl.com/
Breaking news.
NFL suspends Roethlisberger 6 games
Ben Roethlisberger has been suspended for 6 games for violation of the NFL's personal-conduct policy

JAR
04-21-2010, 01:20 PM
Bull F******n S***!!!!!!!

pfelix73
04-21-2010, 01:20 PM
Season is over before it even begins.

Ed Buchette reporting that one team picking inside the top 10 is shopping for a QB.

NFL= :loser

JAR
04-21-2010, 01:22 PM

Ed Buchette reporting that one team picking inside the top 10 is shopping for a QB.

No
F******
Logic

Steelgal
Reporting on NFLN is that the suspension could be lessened OR extended depending on Ben's behaviour between now and the start of the season. Also stated Ben can NOT take part of ANY team functions (including OTAs) until after a behaviour assessment is completed :HeadBanger

NWNewell

So quick to through in the towel?? Disgraceful!! :moon

This and any other Steeler's season is about more than just Ben. It's not
Roethlisberger Nation.

AngryAsian
Talk about the hammer coming down. :shock:

BURGH86STEEL
04-21-2010, 01:25 PM
I thought it would be from 1 to 4.

Ben has no one to blame but himself. I hope he gets the help he needs and makes him a better person. He should probably reconsider some of the "enablers" he hangs out with. He may need someone with a level head around that he will listen too.

JAR
04-21-2010, 01:25 PM
National Football League

Commissioner Roger Goodell notified Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roetholisberger Wednesday that he 1) must undergo a comprehensive behavioral evaluation by medical professionals and 2) will be suspended without pay for the first six games of the regular season for conduct detrimental to the NFL in violation of the league’s Personal Conduct Policy.
After consultation with Commissioner Goodell, Steelers President Art Rooney and the commissioner informed Roethlisberger by telephone today of the two-step approach that is designed to hold Roethlisberger accountable for his conduct and provide him an opportunity to change his behavior and establish himself as a responsible individual.
In a letter to Roethlisberger, Commissioner Goodell said that Roethlisberger must adhere to any counseling or treatment that is recommended by the professional evaluators to help him make better decisions and avoid situations that can cause legal or other problems. A professional behavioral evaluation is mandatory for anyone that has violated the NFL Personal Conduct Policy. Roethlisberger may not attend any team off-season activity after today until he has completed the evaluation and the evaluating professionals confirm with the commissioner that Roethlisberger may resume football activities. If so cleared, Roethlisberger will be able to participate in training camp and preseason games this summer.
The commissioner said he would review Roethlisberger’s progress under the plan prior to the start of the regular season and consider whether to reduce the suspension to four games. Failure to cooperate and follow the plan could result in a longer suspension, the commissioner added.
“The Personal Conduct Policy makes clear that I may impose discipline ‘even where the conduct does not result in conviction of a crime’ as, for example, where the conduct ‘imposes inherent danger to the safety and well being of another person’,” Commissioner Goodell stated in his letter to Roethlisberger. “As the District Attorney concluded, the extensive investigatory record shows that you contributed to the irresponsible consumption of alcohol by purchasing (or facilitating the purchase of) alcoholic beverages for underage college students, at least some of whom were likely already intoxicated. There is no question that the excessive consumption of alcohol that evening put the students and yourself at risk. The Personal Conduct Policy also states that discipline is appropriate for conduct that ‘undermines or puts at risk the integrity and reputation of the NFL, NFL clubs, or NFL players.’ By any measure, your conduct satisfies that standard.”
Commissioner Goodell said his review of the matter included the extensive volume of material released by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation and the Milledgeville Police Department; public comments by and a private conversation with Georgia District Attorney Fred Bright; comments and recommendations of Roethlisberger’s representatives; a personal interview with Roethlisberger on April 13; dialogue with current players, former players, the NFL Players Association, and others; and information learned by the NFL office in the course of examining the Milledgeville matter.
Other excerpts from Commissioner Goodell’s letter:
“I recognize that the allegations in Georgia were disputed and that they did not result in criminal charges being filed against you. My decision today is not based on a finding that you violated Georgia law, or on a conclusion that differs from that of the local prosecutor. That said, you are held to a higher standard as an NFL player, and there is nothing about your conduct in Milledgeville that can remotely be described as admirable, responsible, or consistent with either the values of the league or the expectations of our fans.”
“Your conduct raises sufficient concerns that I believe effective intervention now is the best step for your personal and professional welfare.”
“I believe it is essential that you take full advantage of the resources available to you. My ultimate disposition in this matter will be influenced by the extent to which you do so, what you learn as a result, and a demonstrated commitment to making positive change in your life.”
“In your six years in the NFL, you have first thrilled and now disappointed a great many people. I urge you to take full advantage of this opportunity to get your life and career back on track.”
In addition to the discipline imposed on Roethlisberger, league policy requires that NFL teams remit to the league a portion of a suspended player’s salary starting with the second suspension in a year for violations of the personal conduct or drug policies. The second such suspension in a year results in the club being assessed 25 percent of the suspended player’s forfeited salary to a maximum of $200,000. Prior to the Steelers trading him to the New York Jets, wide receiver Santonio Holmes was suspended for four games for violating the substance abuse program.

pfelix73
04-21-2010, 01:27 PM
Sorry you feel that way^^^^ a few posts up^^^^

I am entitled to my thoughts.. 6 games without the franchise QB is just not good.

It's begin reported that the NFL Network news is still not official. The details will come down later and they are still reporting 4-6.

Hoping to see some lawsuits coming forthwith......

papillon
04-21-2010, 01:27 PM
Wow, for two alleged incidents and one bad motorcycle decision? I have to believe that this will end up being 2 games before the season starts. But, without being able to participate in the OTAs or any other team function that will certainly limit the amount of chemistry Ben will have with the receivers.

The Steelers really need Dixon to step up and play well; he's number one by default until the league allows Ben to participate.

Pappy

NWNewell
04-21-2010, 01:30 PM
I have to believe that this will end up being 2 games before the season starts. But, without being able to participate in the OTAs or any other team function that will certainly limit the amount of chemistry Ben will have with the receivers.

The Steelers really need Dixon to step up and play well;
Pappy

:Agree

Jom112
04-21-2010, 01:30 PM
@JasonLaCanfora

All NFL teams receive memo from Commissioner Goodell detailing Roethlisberger's suspension would not be reduced below 4 games. More on NFLN

@Jay_Glazer

Also, ben not allowed to train w his team until he goes through his treatment program http://myloc.me/6g8nb

Steel Life
04-21-2010, 01:31 PM
This was as though he was charged...ridiculous. I wonder if the Union steps in & says anything on his behalf. They keep talking about how everyone is accountable, but Tom Cable didn't go through any of this, Leroy Hill hasn't caught any crap for his recent problems & the Colts player who was charged with sexual assault has yet to get grilled either - why is Ben the whipping boy for the league?

At the very least, this should shut up anyone that always says we get preferential treatment from the league.

Jom112
04-21-2010, 01:35 PM
@darrenrovell1: Roethlisberger's six-game suspension will cost him $2,841,174

BURGH86STEEL
04-21-2010, 01:37 PM

Ouch!!!!

AngryAsian
04-21-2010, 01:38 PM

I hope the poonahnie was worth it. :shock:

NWNewell
04-21-2010, 01:41 PM

I hope the poonahnie was worth it. :shock:

That turned out to be one expensive lemon-drop!

Djfan
04-21-2010, 01:46 PM
Too F'n much.

If this was a Patriots player it would have been a $19 fine and four minute suspension.

BDESteel
04-21-2010, 01:46 PM
:Clap Maybe now Ben will start acting like he's the leader of the greates NFL team in it's history of existance.

He better hope Dixon doesn't play lights out while he's out or he may be w/out a job.

Jigawatts
04-21-2010, 01:48 PM
Talk about the hammer coming down. :shock:

Don't forget about the sickle.

http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/ideas/img/Hammer_and_sickle_huge.png

Steelgal
04-21-2010, 01:48 PM
Too F'n much.

If this was a Patriots player it would have been a $19 fine and four minute suspension.

Yeah, they were really 'hit hard' when they were caught cheating with those video tapes :HeadBanger

pfelix73
04-21-2010, 01:51 PM
Also, before every1 hands over the starting position to Dixon, Leftwich was just signed to a 2nd year today- just announced and that he will compete with Dixon to start and will probably win the job.

Batch is looking to possibly retire-

Just announced- Ben stands to lose up to 3 million in salary.

JAR
04-21-2010, 01:56 PM
Now, if I hear any of those who were part of lynching Ben even hint at being upset when the Steelers are 1-3, 2-4 to begin the season, well, I'll.......................... :)

SteelAbility
04-21-2010, 01:58 PM

Those had to be the most expensive shots ever. :P

SteelAbility
04-21-2010, 02:00 PM
Reporting on NFLN is that the suspension could be lessened OR extended depending on Ben's behaviour between now and the start of the season. Also stated Ben can NOT take part of ANY team functions (including OTAs) until after a behaviour assessment is completed :HeadBanger

Any word on how far down it can go?

Steelgal
04-21-2010, 02:05 PM

They said it won't go down any farther than 4 games, per NFLN.

feltdizz
04-21-2010, 02:06 PM
Now, if I hear any of those who were part of lynching Ben even hint at being upset when the Steelers are 1-3, 2-4 to begin the season, well, I'll.......................... :)

and if we are 3-1 or 4-0 :Beer

Ben lynched himself. Stop blaming everyone but him.

pfelix73
04-21-2010, 02:07 PM
Well, all of this crap about him having to be evaluated, etc..... Sounds like a bunch of... to me.. If it happened to me, I'd just retire.

Jom112
04-21-2010, 02:07 PM
I feel like this was posted before but anyway...

@mortreport Steelers also getting docked up to $250,000 for Ben/Holmes suspensions, as per league policy

JAR
04-21-2010, 02:11 PM

and if we are 3-1 or 4-0 :Beer

Ben lynched himself. Stop blaming everyone but him.

Ray Lewis 0 games
Ben 6 games
Vick 2 games

Where is Reed's conduct detrimental to the league suspension? How about Spaeth?

We know you've never liked Ben felt, so you're probably still hoping for a trade.

snarky
04-21-2010, 02:11 PM
Well, all of this crap about him having to be evaluated, etc..... Sounds like a bunch of... to me.. If it happened to me, I'd just retire.

Actually, it sounds completely appropriate to me. There are now two allegations against him (and rumors of a third incident). It's not like there is zero risk for the NFL in this scenario and if Ben truly has a problem with women and there was another incident and the NFL did nothing, it would be a huge PR hit for the league.

RussBII
04-21-2010, 02:13 PM
I think you guys are forgetting he was charged, twice, with what most folks think is the most heinous of crimes....

Six is a lot, but I think we're lucky it wasn't eight.

This was/is a black eye for the NFL, who actively try to fight the "athletes are thugs" stereotype and the Steelers and their fans.

How many times have you all beat your chest and screamed "Yeah! And we win doing it the RIGHT way!" We've all trumpeted that line a thousand times. A slap on the wrist and folks would give us even more grief...

"Only 4 games? The NFL loves the Steelers! They gave them back their rapist QB just like they gave them SB XL!"

Steel Life
04-21-2010, 02:20 PM
Russ - Get your details right, he hasn't been charged with anything in either case.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-21-2010, 02:21 PM
Son of a B!+ch...Now we have to call him the 97 million dollar man!

Which is actually funny...Too stupid to be the full 100.

RussBII
04-21-2010, 02:23 PM
Russ - Get your details right, he hasn't been charged with anything in either case.

Apologies. Accused.

And even if he did just badger them into saying yes and getting consent, it's still douchebag behavior, no matter what. I wouldn't want any females I know anywhere near the guy.

Either way, I'm happy the suspension is out and we can plan for the season now.

papillon
04-21-2010, 02:26 PM

Ouch!!!!

Here's some perspective that will make you say hmmmm....

If you earn $35,000 (the top 50% of wage earners) you would have to work for 86 years
If you earn $67,000 (the top 25% of wage earners) you would have to work for 45 years
If you earn $115,000 (the top 10% of wage earners) you would have to work for 26 ears
If you earn $160,000 (the top 5% of wage earners) you would have to work for 19 years
If you earn $200,000 (the top 2-5% of wage earners) you would have to work 15 years
If you earn $400,000 (the top 1% of wage earners) you would have to work for 7.5 years

...to earn what Ben is going to lose during his suspension (I used $3,000,000 for ease of calculation)

It's quite mind boggling what these guys are willing (or at least oblivious) to throwing away by not thinking. :shock:

Pappy

JAR
04-21-2010, 02:34 PM
For those not part of the lynching and would like to share your thoughts with ROG, here you go.

roger.goodell@nfl.net

papillon
04-21-2010, 02:51 PM
I feel like this was posted before but anyway...

@mortreport Steelers also getting docked up to $250,000 for Ben/Holmes suspensions, as per league policy

Hand the bill for Ben's indiscretion to Ben, he's earned the privilege to pay that one as well.

Pappy

SteelAbility
04-21-2010, 02:53 PM

They said it won't go down any farther than 4 games, per NFLN.

Ouch! I don't like it. There's enough on the table to see the whole incident going both ways. This necessarily has a bit of an indictment with it. That's why I liked the idea of 6 incentives all the way down to zero.

pfelix73
04-21-2010, 03:04 PM
Well,local radio personalities are saying that Goodell is acting like the judge and jury all in one and that he's 'walking down a dangerous path' with this "language" in his statements today.

We'll see if Ben's attorneys or the players union files anything, appeal, etc.

SteelHead
04-21-2010, 03:08 PM
Let's get it straight before I say this.....this is nobody's fault but Ben's and although I believe he is innocent of assault/rape he IS guilty of some truly poor decisions and obviously needs some help getting his life together. On to the point......

Goodell is a fu*king egomaniacal jerkoff. I't doesn't just start with the Ben suspension , I've been fully against a LOT of his decisions.

Let me get it straight.

1. Ben cannot be around the team until a third party sees fit. Let's hope at least that's sometime before training camp , although with the length of the suspension he probably won't see much work anyway seeing as though Dixon or Lefty will start 25% of the season at the MINIMUM !!!!

2. Not including the legal costs already incurred , loss of sponsorships etc.... , this suspension will cost him in excess of 2 million dollars.

3. The 6 game sit down at best will be 4 according to reports , so not only does that punish the organization and city in terms of WINNING FOOTBALL GAMES , which correct me if I'm wrong is what sports is ultimately about, but It also severely hampers Ben's ability to come back and immediately be affective. You have to give the majority of reps in training camp/pre-season to get the other 2 guys ready , whereas if the suspension was only 2 games you could more easily divide time and he could transition back into the lineup more easily. So , effectively this suspension is a severe blow to his chances to make a successful comeback on the field.

4. Ben has been lambasted in the media and by Roger personally (see excerpts from his letter to Ben regarding suspension) more than any big-time athlete I can remember in recent memory for "shaming" the league and fans making it damn near impossible for him to rehabilitate his image. The "other side of the coin" hasn't been talked about once by members of the media or league.

Did I miss something ? Did Ben actually get charged and I didn't hear about it ? When is the trial amongst his pears ?

In conclusion Roger is simply an attention grabbing media whore who sits on his high horse while he continues to run this league into the ground. Friggin Lunatic. I hope this helps his cause of pandering to the publics uninformed whims.

It's just too bad my favorite player is the only one to blame. You put your fate in others peoples hands and this is what happens.

Rant over.