PDA

View Full Version : Adam Shefter tweeting....

Steelgal
04-21-2010, 11:45 AM
that the Steelers are OPEN to dealing Ben, testing the waters and that something COULD happen today or on draft day. If moved, the Steelers are looking for a top 10.

Steelgal
04-21-2010, 11:46 AM
If we ONLY get a top 10 pick, I'm going to be ticked beyond belief................

:HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger

He's worth ATLEAST 2 firsts and more

Jom112
04-21-2010, 11:47 AM
@Adam_Schefter

Pittsburgh has begun contacting teams to trade Ben Roethlisberger for a top 10 pick. At least one team considering it. Story far from done.

Wow...

SteelAbility
04-21-2010, 11:51 AM
Not sure I believe it. The draft is coming soon and people will say all kinds of things to draw attention. M&M, especially Golic, were saying it probably won't happen.

With the perceived problems, It's hard to tell what we'll get. WITHOUT the perceived problems I believe Ben is worth:

A high 1st this year + a mid (or better) 1st next year + a 2nd two years from now + A stud D player (like Asamogha)

NW Steeler
04-21-2010, 11:51 AM
That is complete Fooking horseh!t!!! If they trade Ben I am going to be SOOOOO pissed. I hope that they are just putting this out there to ground Ben some more. Franchise QB's do not grow on trees. And if they only get one top 10 pick out of him it will be a travesty.

Unless they got a complete windfall in exchange, trading Ben would be the curse of Bambino, Pittsburgh style.

Jom112
04-21-2010, 11:53 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Schefter is the one guy I believe. He doesn't put out things like this until he gets real confirmation.

If this was La Confora or michael lombardi or someone else, I would blow it off. Schefter I actually believe...

pfelix73
04-21-2010, 11:56 AM
Talking about it now on ESPN 1250 out of Pittsburgh- they are saying he probably won't be traded.....

If they trade him, I think it would tear the team apart.

Dan is in Pittsburgh right now- can't get back to Ireland because of the Volcano...Hopefully, he's keeping his son calmed down.

:tt1

Ghost
04-21-2010, 11:58 AM
If the minimum 4 game suspension is true - not only is that excessive but it also kills Ben's trade value (if that's true).

I hope this is nothing more than just due diligence to gauge interest and nothing really is to come of it.

Steelgal
That is complete Fooking horseh!t!!! If they trade Ben I am going to be SOOOOO pissed. I hope that they are just putting this out there to ground Ben some more. Franchise QB's do not grow on trees. And if they only get one top 10 pick out of him it will be a travesty.

Unless they got a complete windfall in exchange, trading Ben would be the curse of Bambino, Pittsburgh style.

I agree, if the Steelers only get 1 top ten pick, I'm ready to be done with football. Goodell is a sham of a commisionner and the rules now benefit high flying offenses and hurt strong defenses. The league has put skirts on quarterbacks and made them almost untouchable.

It was bad enough the Rooney's only got a 5th for Santonio. If they take this hard of a stance and trade Ben for a top ten pick only, this will be the first time I'll ever question continuing to watch the sport :Hater

BigRob
If we ONLY get a top 10 pick, I'm going to be ticked beyond belief................

He's a miserable human being and a huge PR hit for any team that is looking to take him on. His perceived trade value is much higher than it actually is.

A top ten pick would be about all you could expect this year.

I really don't know why everyone is acting pissed and surprised. Hmmm, lets see...

1) There has been no comments about the case from Ben or the accuser since the decision to not bring charges. Can you say confidential settlement?

2) The Steelers and Goodell said it would be after the draft for the suspension. All of the sudden the decision comes the day before the draft.

3) The Steelers trade for Byron Leftwich two days before the draft.

4) The Rooney's traded Santonio Holmes for a Ham sandwich.

5) You can trade Ben this year without any cap issues.

6) The city hates BB right now and a lot of people would be happy with the Steelers for doing this.

The writing has been on the wall for a week now.

SteelAbility
04-21-2010, 12:01 PM
If the minimum 4 game suspension is true - not only is that excessive but it also kills Ben's trade value (if that's true).

I hope this is nothing more than just due diligence to gauge interest and nothing really is to come of it.

That's most likely what it is - something really juicy to get a feel for what people want and what they are willing to trade for/away. It's actually a good strategy for optimizing draft day trade up/down scenarios.

NW Steeler
04-21-2010, 12:04 PM

He's a miserable human being and a huge PR hit for any team that is looking to take him on. His perceived trade value is much higher than it actually is.

A top ten pick would be about all you could expect this year.

I really don't know why everyone is acting pissed and surprised. Hmmm, lets see...

1) There has been no comments about the case from Ben or the accuser since the decision to not bring charges. Can you say confidential settlement?

2) The Steelers and Goodell said it would be after the draft for the suspension. All of the sudden the decision comes the day before the draft.

3) The Steelers trade for Byron Leftwich two days before the draft.

4) The Rooney's traded Santonio Holmes for a Ham sandwich.

5) You can trade Ben this year without any cap issues.

6) The city hates BB right now and a lot of people would be happy with the Steelers for doing this.

The writing has been on the wall for a week now.

I don't agree. And if anything his true trade value is higher than his perceived value right now.

JAR
04-21-2010, 12:05 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Schefter is the one guy I believe. He doesn't put out things like this until he gets real confirmation.

If this was La Confora or michael lombardi or someone else, I would blow it off. Schefter I actually believe...

Schefter said the NFL's decision was coming Mon or Tues, he was wrong.

WoodleyofTroy
04-21-2010, 12:07 PM
If we trade Ben, and draft Offense, then I'm done. Our Offense will suck regardless without him.

So if you trade him, do it for Defense. And win that way. Eric Berry, Rolando McClain, Asomugha, etc.

SteelAbility
04-21-2010, 12:08 PM

That's a good point. But what I think Jom is saying is that Schefter is sincere in his statements. Not sure I agree with Jom, but I think that's where Jom is coming from. I do think that with the draft drawing near the temptation to throw juicy morsels out there is very strong. So I can go along with Schefter being sincere by and large, but I would think he can be susceptible to juicy morsels with attention magnet events like the draft.

JAR
04-21-2010, 12:09 PM
If we trade Ben, and draft Offense, then I'm done. Our Offense will suck regardless without him.

So if you trade him, do it for Defense. And win that way. Eric Berry, Rolando McClain, Asomugha, etc.

If they trade him, I'm done no matter. 40 years of being a fan down the drain until I recover from one of the worst moves in NFL history.

ikestops85
04-21-2010, 12:10 PM
@Adam_Schefter

Pittsburgh has begun contacting teams to trade Ben Roethlisberger for a top 10 pick. At least one team considering it. Story far from done.

Wow...

I heard Cincy was offering their number 1 and golden boy Carson in exchange for Ben. :moon :lol: :lol:

Jom112
04-21-2010, 12:10 PM

Fair enough. I just believe Schefter when he says the Steelers are talking to teams in the top 10. Him and Jay Glazer are two guys that are usually right.

Doesn't mean Ben will be traded. Just that there are conversations going on between the teams...

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-21-2010, 12:11 PM
Jom is right about Shefter...He usually is dead on.

I don't think the Steelers would let this get out just to benefit them or make Ben feel threatened. Openly shopping a player is almost as bad as trading the player. The backlash will only hurt his value especially when his production falls off from frustration and losing his will to play at a high level. Not many players stay the same or elevate their production when they are being shopped.

I told many of you...Prepare yourself. There is still "Old Fashion" ownership at the helm...Morals are on a different scale in Pittsburgh.

ghettoscott
04-21-2010, 12:12 PM

If they trade him, I'm done no matter. 40 years of being a fan down the drain until I recover from one of the worst moves in NFL history.

this is how i feel as well.

Jom112
04-21-2010, 12:12 PM

I could see how you could say that if the move was made by Mike Brown, but you don't think the Rooney's know what they are doing?

I would trade owners in a heartbeat with you guys...

Jom112
04-21-2010, 12:14 PM
@Adam_Schefter

Wow...

I heard Cincy was offering their number 1 and golden boy Carson in exchange for Ben. :moon :lol: :lol:

Sure, but only if you take Mike Brown in the deal... :lol:

steelblood
04-21-2010, 12:15 PM
The 4 game suspension hurts his trade value, but it is not devastating. His recent behavior is what really hurts his value. The guy is under contract for 5 more years. So, the suspension really only effects a small portion of his availability.

I don't think he'll be traded, but those who want 2 #1s plus more are probably fooling yourselves. Ben is no longer worth that much. If he goes, we will have no chance to win a Super Bowl for at least 2 years.

Steelgal
04-21-2010, 12:15 PM

I could see how you could say that if the move was made by Mike Brown, but you don't think the Rooney's know what they are doing?

I have questioned them in the past for getting not re-signing Woodson and others. Also didn't like the 5th round pick for HOlmes. But if they get rid of Ben for a top ten pick, they've lost it IMO.

SteelAbility
04-21-2010, 12:16 PM

I hear a rumor that Ben was shopping Art Rooney around for alcohol shots at bars.

AngryAsian
04-21-2010, 12:19 PM
I just don't understand the whole "I'm done" statement with regard to being a Steeler fan. I may be miserable for years regarding any decision that would let my beloved Steelers go through some "LEAN" years... but I can't see supporting any other team. This has been my team since I first watched football and no matter what, it will stay my team.

SteelBucks
04-21-2010, 12:21 PM
I can stomach a trade if it was for the Rams' #1 overall and the Steelers took Bradford. Anything else would be team suicide.

I don't think Leftwich, Dixon, and Batch strike fear into too many NFL defenses.

SteelAbility
04-21-2010, 12:22 PM
I can stomach a trade if it was for the Rams' #1 overall and the Steelers took Bradford. Anything else would be team suicide.

I don't think Leftwich, Dixon, and Batch strike fear into too many NFL defenses.

Ben is worth well more than this years #1 overall pick.

Steelgal
04-21-2010, 12:24 PM
I just don't understand the whole "I'm done" statement with regard to being a Steeler fan. I may be miserable for years regarding any decision that would let my beloved Steelers go through some "LEAN" years... but I can't see supporting any other team. This has been my team since I first watched football and no matter what, it will stay my team.

I said I'd be done with football period, not just the Steelers. I would never root for another team. I hate the way the rules have changed and give the offense all the 'perks'. They're slowly ruining the sport for me and this would almost put me over the top.

Jom112
04-21-2010, 12:25 PM
If this helps..

@JasonLaCanfora

Steelers had very brief talk with Rams overweekend, but STL has no interest in Big Ben. Steelers hoped to get 1st overall pick..

As we reported exclusively last week. Steelrs open to dealing the QB, but no chance of moving to 1st overall. Trading Big Ben now almost...

impossible. Check out NFL.com for all the details and NFL Network as well.

So if the Rams were open to it, then it might happen. But since they want Bradford, it doesn't look like there will be any trade for Ben. At least according to La Canfora...

WoodleyofTroy
04-21-2010, 12:27 PM
Yeah it's definitely a done with football statement. Steelers fans don't fit the category of switching teams. It's either Black and Gold or nothing.

JAR
04-21-2010, 12:27 PM

So you can sit there when they are losers, and you can say, oh that's OK, the whole team went to church this morning. :)

AngryAsian
04-21-2010, 12:28 PM
If this helps..

@JasonLaCanfora

Steelers had very brief talk with Rams overweekend, but STL has no interest in Big Ben. Steelers hoped to get 1st overall pick..

As we reported exclusively last week. Steelrs open to dealing the QB, but no chance of moving to 1st overall. Trading Big Ben now almost...

impossible. Check out NFL.com for all the details and NFL Network as well.

So if the Rams were open to it, then it might happen. But since they want Bradford, it doesn't look like there will be any trade for Ben. At least according to La Canfora...

I get the whole "poor durability" vibe from Bradford. I think he'll have one of those injury plagued careers and never reach his potential. JMHO

SteelerNation1
If they trade him, it better Hershel Walker-esque. I'm talking 2 #1's, and a BUNCH of other picks. Even then, I'd still throw up and cry like a 2 year old !!!!!!!!!!!!

Mister Pittsburgh
Hopefully the Rooney's are just leaking the trade speculation to scare the living crap out of Ben. If they got ANYTHING less than 2 first rounders for him I am done.

proudpittsburgher
04-21-2010, 12:30 PM
just going back, I am pretty sure someone else reported a decision was to come Monday or Tuesday, and Shefter was the one who reported no chance it happens on Monday, remote chance Tuesday and it will most likely come down on Wednesday. So, not only was he not wrong about this, but he was actually spot on. That being said, I see no way they trade him.

BURGH86STEEL

I don't understand the I'm done statement either.

Jom112
I get the whole "poor durability" vibe from Bradford. I think he'll have one of those injury plagued careers and never reach his potential. JMHO

I could see that, but the Rams are doing it the right way. They signed Jason Brown (Center from Ravens) and Jason Smith (#2 overall pick) last season, to solidify the O-Line first.

So he has a decent chance of success with the Rams. The team still needs a defense but that's a whole other story...

AngryAsian
04-21-2010, 12:32 PM

So you can sit there when they are losers, and you can say, oh that's OK, the whole team went to church this morning. :)

I suffered through the eighties and was so hopeful in the nineties... and miserable the whole time. I can't sweat scenarios that I have no control over. I'll accept things... I have no other choice.... But I can't resign myself from watching football. Its the only sporting event, besides soccer that I love to watch.

ghettoscott
04-21-2010, 12:35 PM
just cant see how this could happen.

If kobe could get another chance with his team why shouldnt Ben? kobe was actually charged and went through a trial and i dont remember seeing the uproar that Ben is going through. this is just idiotic to me....

fordfixer
04-21-2010, 12:36 PM

I suffered through the eighties and was so hopeful in the nineties... and miserable the whole time. I can't sweat scenarios that I have no control over. I'll accept things... I have no other choice.... But I can't resign myself from watching football. Its the only sporting event, besides soccer that I love to watch.

I agree with AA on this one I have been a Steelers fan for alot of years and will still be a Steelers fan no matter who is on the feild.

Go Steelers :tt1 :tt1

proudpittsburgher
04-21-2010, 12:38 PM
put me in the no trade camp here. The key is what Ben does knowing everything that was said and done with this latest incident. He is on a zero tolerance policy from this point forward. But I just can't justify trading him at this point. I understand that there is a lot of hate for the guy right now in Pittsburgh, but a lot of that will go away once his suspension is up and he steps on the field again. As long as he turns his life around, he will absolutely be forgiven by most, not all, but by most.

JAR
04-21-2010, 12:40 PM

So you want to suffer again over the trade of a franchise QB who was convicted of nothing but was the victim of a media lynching?

steelblood
04-21-2010, 12:44 PM

I watched Super Bowl's 13 and 14 as a kid and then sat through some terrible QBs for 2 decades too. But, I always followed the Steelers and I always will. I was born in Pittsburgh and will NEVER quit on my team. They can trade Ben and I'll still follow them. They can keep Ben and try to get him to behave, and I'll still follow the team. Quitting is weak. The Steelers just won two Super Bowls!!! So many Steeler fans are simply spoiled.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-21-2010, 12:51 PM

If kobe could get another chance with his team why shouldnt Ben? kobe was actually charged and went through a trial and i dont remember seeing the uproar that Ben is going through. this is just idiotic to me....

The Lakers are not owned by the Rooneys.

AngryAsian
04-21-2010, 12:53 PM

All that suffering over the trade of a franchise QB who was convicted of nothing but was the victim of a media lynching?

Suffering, like I have during the past 6 years, when Ben was part of this team and we lost. I don't think any sane fan wishes their team to lose any games. My statement was in reference to the FO making the decision and me being powerless to sway that decision. This is about acceptance of anything that may happen. Never asked for Ben's trade or hoped for it. I have, on several occasions, voiced understanding to the organization's displeasure of this whole thing and with Ben. In my mind Ben is guilty of one thing... POOR JUDGEMENT.

As for Ben being a victim on any level is a bit of a stretch. He's a grown adult and after being in the limelight for 6+ years as the most visible on-field figurehead of one the most historic franchises in the NFL, and seeing first hand how the media can circle the proverbial wagon with regards to outrageous unfounded allegations... I would think Ben would gain some sort of wisdom with regards to conduct outside the football arena. This is by no means an assertion that he's guilty of rape, but rather at fault for extremely poor judgement.

MaxAMillion
04-21-2010, 12:53 PM

It seems worse when it is your team going through the media circus. Kobe was the lead story on ESPN every day when he was facing rape charges. Plus the Steelers made the issue even bigger by trading Holmes. That helped to foster this "we won't take it anymore" policy.

The real problem is that the Steeler family doesn't seem willing to sit back and allow the crap to hit the fan. The Steelers are going to hear about this for some time. It will be brought up all pre season. It will hang over the club during his 4 game suspension. The Rooney's need to try and ride it out because they won't get true value back for Ben. The image will take a hit for awhile, but there isn't much you can do about it. Trying to win the perception war is a losing proposition.

feltdizz
04-21-2010, 12:57 PM

Some of this is pure emotion and some are Benwagon fans who defend Ben even when he admits taking obvious sacks or throwig ugly INT's. To them it's always the WR, OL or BA's fault.

Maybe the FO is curious or maybe they see this as an oppurtunity to clear the books of a guy who isn't showing any remorse for his conduct. It's all speculation but if the FO is ready to move on I'll frustratingly accept it like I had to accept Holmes being traded.

What if... and this is a big what if... what if we traded Ben and he looks like the majority of our players once they leave because he doesn't have the talent and defense to give him the extra oppurtunites to be golden? Ben is a beast but Harrison did score a 100 yard TD... Ben brought us back a lot but our O would look terrible for 2 quarters most games.

I'm a Steeler fan for life and I love the 2 rings Ben has brought us but he didn't do it alone.

ghettoscott
04-21-2010, 12:58 PM

It seems worse when it is your team going through the media circus. Kobe was the lead story on ESPN every day when he was facing rape charges. Plus the Steelers made the issue even bigger by trading Holmes. That helped to foster this "we won't take it anymore" policy.

The real problem is that the Steeler family doesn't seem willing to sit back and allow the crap to hit the fan. The Steelers are going to hear about this for some time. It will be brought up all pre season. It will hang over the club during his 4 game suspension. The Rooney's need to try and ride it out because they won't get true value back for Ben. The image will take a hit for awhile, but there isn't much you can do about it. Trying to win the perception war is a losing proposition.

good points. What about the fans though Max? Did LA fans turn tail on their franchise player? article after article about how Steeler "fans" are fed up with Ben and want him gone...was LA fan like this?

flippy
04-21-2010, 12:59 PM
Ben's got 3 allegations from 3 women + rides his motorcycle without a helmet + he had the wreck. He's as reckless off the field as he is on it.

We got rid of Santonio who's had lesser problems than Ben.

If the Steelers don't get rid of Ben, they're inconsistent in the way they treat players and run the team.

I'd have more respect for the team if they dumped Ben.

Although that's not what I want.

I'll roll with Dixon.

Improve the D in this draft and we'll be good to go.

AngryAsian
04-21-2010, 01:01 PM

Some of this is pure emotion and some are Benwagon fans who defend Ben even when he admits taking obvious sacks or throwig ugly INT's. To them it's always the WR, OL or BA's fault.

Maybe the FO is curious or maybe they see this as an oppurtunity to clear the books of a guy who isn't showing any remorse for his conduct. It's all speculation but if the FO is ready to move on I'll frustratingly accept it like I had to accept Holmes being traded.

What if... and this is a big what if... what if we traded Ben and he looks like the majority of our players once they leave because he doesn't have the talent and defense to give him the extra oppurtunites to be golden? Ben is a beast but Harrison did score a 100 yard TD... Ben brought us back a lot but our O would look terrible for 2 quarters most games.

I'm a Steeler fan for life and I love the 2 rings Ben has brought us but he didn't do it alone.

AMEN, brother!

Oviedo
04-21-2010, 01:01 PM
Trading Ben = Right of the Rooney's as owners

Trading Ben = at least several years of 7-9, 8-8 and 9-7 records

Trading Ben = Not really believing in redemption or that a person can become a better person after making a mistake

Trading Ben = Stupid

Jooser
04-21-2010, 01:02 PM
Report: Steelers begin actively shopping Ben
Posted by Mike Florio on April 21, 2010 11:56 AM ET
Though we've seen the reports suggesting that the Steelers won't trade quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, we haven't believed them. The Pittsburgh media has opened the door far too wide, and the team has done nothing to slam it shut.

Recently, a theory had emerged that the Steelers were choosing not to nip the buzz in the bud in order to ensure that Roethlisberger spends a week or so in fear of being exiled out of Pittsburgh, something that actually may be in his best long- and short-term interests.

If it's a ruse, it's a damn convincing one.

A day after Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported that the Steelers are receiving trade feelers from other teams, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the Steelers are contacting teams in the top ten of the draft regarding a possible trade.

Per Schefter, at least one team is considering the possibility of sending the top-ten selection to the Steelers for Roethlisberger.

As explained in a PFTV segment we'll be posting soon (actually, in two of them), there's a team in the top ten that should be more than willing to make the swap.

SteelAbility
04-21-2010, 01:03 PM

Trading Ben = Not really believing in redemption or that a person can become a better person after making a mistake

Trading Ben = Stupid

:Agree on all points.

flippy
04-21-2010, 01:05 PM
Report: Steelers begin actively shopping Ben
Posted by Mike Florio on April 21, 2010 11:56 AM ET
Though we've seen the reports suggesting that the Steelers won't trade quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, we haven't believed them. The Pittsburgh media has opened the door far too wide, and the team has done nothing to slam it shut.

Recently, a theory had emerged that the Steelers were choosing not to nip the buzz in the bud in order to ensure that Roethlisberger spends a week or so in fear of being exiled out of Pittsburgh, something that actually may be in his best long- and short-term interests.

If it's a ruse, it's a damn convincing one.

A day after Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported that the Steelers are receiving trade feelers from other teams, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the Steelers are contacting teams in the top ten of the draft regarding a possible trade.

Per Schefter, at least one team is considering the possibility of sending the top-ten selection to the Steelers for Roethlisberger.

As explained in a PFTV segment we'll be posting soon (actually, in two of them), there's a team in the top ten that should be more than willing to make the swap.

Everyone of them should be willing. Ben for any trade would be a steal.

calmkiller
04-21-2010, 01:05 PM
The 4 game suspension hurts his trade value, but it is not devastating. His recent behavior is what really hurts his value. The guy is under contract for 5 more years. So, the suspension really only effects a small portion of his availability.

I don't think he'll be traded, but those who want 2 #1s plus more are probably fooling yourselves. Ben is no longer worth that much. If he goes, we will have no chance to win a Super Bowl for at least 2 years.

Did he somehow become the worst QB in the league? Did he somehow move from the most winning-est QB to not winning because of this? Did he lose his two super bowl rings? Hes suspended....they didn't take his talent away. Anyone that says this hurt his value are the ones that are crazy...

JAR
04-21-2010, 01:08 PM
Ben's got 3 allegations from 3 women + rides his motorcycle without a helmet + he had the wreck. He's as reckless off the field as he is on it.

If the Steelers don't get rid of Ben, they're inconsistent in the way they treat players and run the team.

I'll roll with Dixon.

Lesser problems than Ben? Please!!!!

calmkiller
04-21-2010, 01:11 PM

So you want to suffer again over the trade of a franchise QB who was convicted of nothing but was the victim of a media lynching?

This right here is the perfect example of a true fan Vs a bandwagon fan. If you a true fan you cheer for whoever is in the jersey. If you have a problem with who is in the jersey or who isn't then you can go cheer on one of the other 31. Have fun and goodbye.

JAR
04-21-2010, 01:12 PM
Like Cowherd said today.

Anyone acting like Ben is the first character flawed Steeler and this is a squeaky clean organization are blind.

BigRob
04-21-2010, 01:13 PM
mortreport

"Interesting factor? Dan Rooney apparently cannot get back to Ireland due to volcano; has given him time to steam over Ben in Pittsburgh"

For anyone that thinks this is Rooney II and that Dan Rooney has no bearing on this decision if he is traded.

ikestops85
04-21-2010, 01:14 PM

I'll roll with Dixon.

3 allegations? Damn, did I miss one or are you talking about that Las Vegas attorney? If he truly has a third allegation then he is done in Pittsburgh.

NWNewell
04-21-2010, 01:14 PM

How so?

Multiple drug offense that would result in a total of 5 games suspended over the course of two years, multiple incidences of violence.

And keep in mind the biggest thing was that it was partly that they were fed up with him, but the other part is that it was an easier organizational/business move. We've got other capable receivers, he was in his last year and probably wouldn't remain a Steeler, he was only going to play 12 games of his last year.

They may be just as fed up with Ben, but it's a much more difficult move. We would take a much bigger drop in play at his position, he will likely be suspended for 4 games or less, and we have him under contract for several more years.

And to be quite honest, we are talking about a a top 5 QB versus a top 20 receiver.

The Rooney's moves are all made in context while looking at the bigger picture. Their decision to deal or not to deal Holmes and Ben was/is never purely based on their off the field transgressions.

They go to greater lengths than most franchises to try to maintain the integrity of the organization, but they are not going to cut off their nose to spite their face. They still may deal Ben, but it won't be anywhere near as freely as it was with Holmes.

papillon
04-21-2010, 01:22 PM
James Harrison should be next then; violence against women (accusation or reality) surely violates the league code of conduct policy. Why does Silverback continue to wear the Black-n-Gold? He should be traded along with Reed and Spaeth. Peeing in public and challenging police officers is surely against the league code of conduct.

If the Steelers were to trade Ben it would certainly be the most hyper hypocritical move ever and would also be the zenith of stupidity.

Pappy

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-21-2010, 01:26 PM
Steelers added a year on Lefty's contract.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10111/1052200-100.stm

ghettoscott
04-21-2010, 01:26 PM

If the Steelers were to trade Ben it would certainly be the most hyper hypocritical move ever and would also be the zenith of stupidity.

Pappy

$$$$

NWNewell
04-21-2010, 01:27 PM
James Harrison should be next then; violence against women (accusation or reality) surely violates the league code of conduct policy. Why does Silverback continue to wear the Black-n-Gold? He should be traded along with Reed and Spaeth. Peeing in public and challenging police officers is surely against the league code of conduct.

Pappy

I too would be very surprised if they trade him. But I won't be to surprised if a team gets too enamored with the idea of getting a franchise QB that they over reach for it. Given enough value, I could see them pulling the trigger.

I won't necessarily be hyper critical of a trade, but I may be hyper critical of the value.

But I think we are speculating too much already.

NW Steeler
04-21-2010, 01:44 PM
If he is traded for a sole top 10 pick, I will vomit on the spot when I hear about it. I may do it anyway if he is traded period!

Snatch98
04-21-2010, 01:44 PM

Did he somehow become the worst QB in the league? Did he somehow move from the most winning-est QB to not winning because of this? Did he lose his two super bowl rings? Hes suspended....they didn't take his talent away. Anyone that says this hurt his value are the ones that are crazy...

I agree. I'm also more than confused by this position. Big Ben is worth more than 2 1st's and by 2 firsts I mean the Rams first this year and next and even then I'd still be pissed. He's a franchise QB and how many of those exist in the NFL today? Franchise QB's that win football games?

Manning
Brady
Favre? and even he's sketchy
Brees
Ben

5 players in the league and Ben is the youngest and one Lombardi behind Brady. I'll be more than pissed off if Ben gets unloaded for anything less than a lions share.

aggiebones
04-21-2010, 01:45 PM
"We got rid of Santonio who's had lesser problems than Ben."

That's a flat lie. Ben has 1 issue of late. And none of it is proven or otherwise even more than seedy behavior.

Holmes has a LONG list of various problem along with the inability to be contrite. Ask him about his gang banging episodes with Troy Smith at OSU as well. He's not just a stoner. Find his whole accusation list. Its lovely.

Both make me thankful that I have 3 sons and no daughters to protect, but Holmes is a few levels below Ben.

And stop bringing up Ben's helmet thing. That's a traffic violation and few of us are clear of all charges there. And if you are, then I'm probably honking at you to get the hell out of my way!

feltdizz
04-21-2010, 01:46 PM

Pappy

While I think we were hypocritical with Harrison I also think being a LB and not repeating the offense makes JH's crime less than Ben's.

the motorcycle incident
the 2 SA charges.
minor infractions that we kept internal???

People say the motorcycle accident is off limits but it's another case of Ben ignoring the FO warnings and putting the teams future in jeopardy.

If James Harrison, Hines or any other person had multiple infractions (especially if they were of the same nature) that put the teams future in jeopardy I think we would see them on the trade block as well.

AngryAsian
04-21-2010, 01:46 PM
I don't think Ben will be traded, but anything less than 2 1st round draft picks, plus a premiere player that can contribute this season... should not even be considered.

Jigawatts
04-21-2010, 01:51 PM

Agreed about Schefter.

ter1230_4
04-21-2010, 02:04 PM
As a lifelong Steelers fan I am very disappointed with Big Ben's antics, but it would be the DUMBEST thing in the history of the franchise to trade him, especially if all they would get is a top 10 draft pick. Franchise QB's like Ben do not come along very often, and if he is traded the Steelers will no longer be a serious Super Bowl contender for many, many years. Everyone, including the Rooneys, needs to settle down and give Ben the opportunity to show that he has learned from this incident and has changed his behavior.

snarky
04-21-2010, 02:05 PM
Has anyone considered the possibility that Ben wants out to make a fresh start in a new city? Obviously there has been a huge backlash in Pittsburgh. I think this is probably a result of Ben not really endearing himself to the locals (how many stories are there about Ben acting like an entitled ass?). So those saying a trade would mean the Rooney's are abandoning Ben might not know the whole story. Ben might want out.

feltdizz
04-21-2010, 02:12 PM
Has anyone considered the possibility that Ben wants out to make a fresh start in a new city? Obviously there has been a huge backlash in Pittsburgh. I think this is probably a result of Ben not really endearing himself to the locals (how many stories are there about Ben acting like an entitled bad word?). So those saying a trade would mean the Rooney's are abandoning Ben might not know the whole story. Ben might want out.

Great point...

Jom112
04-21-2010, 02:14 PM
Has anyone considered the possibility that Ben wants out to make a fresh start in a new city? Obviously there has been a huge backlash in Pittsburgh. I think this is probably a result of Ben not really endearing himself to the locals (how many stories are there about Ben acting like an entitled bad word?). So those saying a trade would mean the Rooney's are abandoning Ben might not know the whole story. Ben might want out.

Great point...

Not after hearing the options: Buffalo, St. Louis, Oakland...

ANPSTEEL
04-21-2010, 02:15 PM
There are a lot of people in this thread condemning a trade, that has not even happened yet.

I am 44 years old- and have been a Steeler fan since I've had congnicent memory.

Irrespective of what they do with Ben- I will still be a Steeler fan.

I'll tell you this- If they get rid of Ben- I'll be more proud about being a Steeler fan.

We don't know if a trade will happen yet, but as I, and others, have stated in other threads- I do believe it will.

Here is the trade that I see as most likely-

To the Raiders for Asamough (sp) and their 1st either this year or next- (I'd prefer next years first)
possibly a conditional pick based upon performance and games played.

Why-

The Raiders are the perfect team for Ben.
-Al Davis couldn't give a rip about any moral issues. It's all "just win baby".
-Al wants a championship before he kicks the bucket.
-Al does not know what the phrase "check down" means. He'd have a flipping woody watching Ben go for a home run every play.
The fans don't care about trying to molest a 20 year old girl in the bathroom, either.

Nnamdi Asamough (sp) would be an amazing addition to the Steelers' D.
Eff wasting a high round pick on a flawed (unproven) rookie CB class.
1st two picks would be OLine and/or DLine.
Go with Dixon & Lefty- for the year -see what you have in DD - who has all the physical skills.
Go back to power football.
If Dixon does not appear to be the future- use next years 2 first rounders (including the one acquired from OAK) to move up in the draft to get a QB.
Next seasons' QB class is projecting much better than this years.

Thats it.

Make the team better- and eliminate a major PR issue.
Ben's escapades are never going to be forgiven by many fans - or the owners.

edit- two other reasons why this makes sense.

Al desperately wants to dump the apx $30mil worth of salaries for Jamarcus Russell & Asamougha- this deal does that for him as well.

Shawn
04-21-2010, 02:16 PM
If they trade him, it better Hershel Walker-esque. I'm talking 2 #1's, and a BUNCH of other picks. Even then, I'd still throw up and cry like a 2 year old !!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed...and with everything that has transpired that will not happen. So, best scenerio for the Steelers is to ride this out. Ben is like a beat up 2004 Honda Accord...yeah not real pretty to look at...maybe some people will even chuckle when they see you using it...but it does it's job, has alot of mileage left, and you can't get on the market what it's worth. You drive that car until the wheels fall off.

feltdizz
04-21-2010, 02:18 PM
"We got rid of Santonio who's had lesser problems than Ben."

That's a flat lie. Ben has 1 issue of late. And none of it is proven or otherwise even more than seedy behavior.

Holmes has a LONG list of various problem along with the inability to be contrite. Ask him about his gang banging episodes with Troy Smith at OSU as well. He's not just a stoner. Find his whole accusation list. Its lovely.

Both make me thankful that I have 3 sons and no daughters to protect, but Holmes is a few levels below Ben.

And stop bringing up Ben's helmet thing. That's a traffic violation and few of us are clear of all charges there. And if you are, then I'm probably honking at you to get the hell out of my way!

you don't think the helmet thing isn't on the FO's list for unneccassary risk that put our season at jeopardy?

I think ANY off field activity that hurts our team is seen as a problem when we warn/urge our players not to do so... if the team says no full contact football in the off season and Wallace twist his ankle playing a pick up game of football our FO will be pissed.

I think our FO would prefer our franchise QB was in a Yugo when he had the accident...

phillyesq
04-21-2010, 02:19 PM
I don't think Ben will be traded, but anything less than 2 1st round draft picks, plus a premiere player that can contribute this season... should not even be considered.

:Agree

I really hope the Steelers don't trade Ben. What we know about the Georgia incident is that, according to the DA, there was not even probable cause that he committed a crime. Based on that, to get rid of a franchise QB, and return to the days of Neil, Kordell, Maddox, et. al, ugh.

Who are they going to use to replace him? Dixon showed that he struggled immensely against a very basic cover 2 last year. Leftwich, while he had a few nice games as a back, has been kicked around the league for a reason -- he isn't a very good starting QB.

phillyesq
04-21-2010, 02:23 PM
There are a lot of people in this thread condemning a trade, that has not even happened yet.

I am 44 years old- and have been a Steeler fan since I've had congnicent memory.

I'll tell you this- If they get rid of Ben- I'll be more proud about being a Steeler fan.

We don't know if a trade will happen yet, but as I, and others, have stated in other threads- I do believe it will.

To the Raiders for Asamough (sp) and their 1st either this year or next- (I'd prefer next years first)

Why-

-Al does not know what the phrase "check down" means. He'd have a flipping woody watching Ben go for a home run every play.
The fans don't care about trying to molest a 20 year old girl in the bathroom, either.

Go with Dixon & Lefty- for the year -see what you have in DD - who has all the physical skills.
If Dixon does not appear to be the future- use next years 2 first rounders (including the one acquired from OAK) to move up in the draft to get a QB.

Thats it.

Al desperately wants to dump the apx $30mil worth of salaries for Jamarcus Russell & Asamougha- this deal does that for him as well.

The problem with Asamougha is the contract. I believe it states that he gets the franchise value of a QB, which is insane. If he had a reasonable contract, that could make more sense, but his contract is a killer.

Jom112
04-21-2010, 02:28 PM
@Adam_Schefter

Here are teams that Steelers have called about Roethlisberger: Rams, 49ers, Raiders, Bills, Jaguars, Seahawks and Browns

ANPSTEEL
04-21-2010, 02:28 PM

Why-

Thats it.

The problem with Asamougha is the contract. I believe it states that he gets the franchise value of a QB, which is insane. If he had a reasonable contract, that could make more sense, but his contract is a killer.

Yes indeed it is- but I bet he'd re-work it to get the heck out of OAK.

Not sure who his agent is- but I'd bet Omar does- and has been on the phone with him.

I'm not certain this will happen- lots of moving pieces and little time- but if that contract issue can be worked- this absolutely makes the most sense for all sides.

brothervad
04-21-2010, 02:36 PM
Sorry folks, Ben is no longer worth 2 first round pciks...

His talent says yes he is
But he is damaged goods and any further bad behavior will end up with a 1 year suspension.

unfortunately, that reduces his value.

You can say then don't deal him since his talent value is such, but that doesn't necessarily protect the Rooneys from future violations.

This isn't your or my call...it's the Rooneys call and they are going to do a cost/benefit analysis.

I believe the Rooneys will be very pragmatic about this

Trade him piss off 20% of you lose 1% of that 20% because of it
They lose little to no revenue on this
In fact, they may stand to gain some support because of the "Rooney Culture"

Keep him piss off 80% lose 5% of that 80%
potentially lose sponsorship revenue by keeping him (don't think the power of Women's groups won't potentailly affect this $$$$)
Potentially invest more money in a guy that may be "wired" for self destructive behavior (paying him gobs of money as well as futher fines by the league)

That is what they will consider...I don't know Ben, I don't know if he is short circuited or not...but the Rooneys/Steelers would have a better idea than any of us.

A top ten may be a steal in their eyes, regardless of what we think.

Anyway, those of you who are pissed, most of you have said you won't stop being a Steelers fan if they move him. So that being said what besides your messageboard vitriol do the Rooneys have to lose with this?

btw, I don't think in the Rooneys eyes, potential playoff/SuperBowl revenue lost would be enough and none of us can guarantee that they won't make the playoffs if they trade him.

brothervad

feltdizz
04-21-2010, 03:17 PM

Trading Ben = Stupid

we went 9-7 and 8- :) WITH Ben... I'm not knocking Ben, he is spectacular under pressure and was the key to our SB runs but I'm not going to over react and say will be bottome feeders without him.

steelblood
04-21-2010, 04:11 PM
@Adam_Schefter

Here are teams that Steelers have called about Roethlisberger: Rams, 49ers, Raiders, Bills, Jaguars, Seahawks and Browns

as shawn pointed out,

the rams and bills called the steelers to say they weren't interested????? Whaaa?

eniparadoxgma
04-22-2010, 04:18 AM

$$$$$$$$$

I was a Steeler fan before Big Ben was born.

Flasteel
04-22-2010, 06:52 AM
Sorry folks, Ben is no longer worth 2 first round pciks...

His talent says yes he is
But he is damaged goods and any further bad behavior will end up with a 1 year suspension.

unfortunately, that reduces his value.

You can say then don't deal him since his talent value is such, but that doesn't necessarily protect the Rooneys from future violations.

This isn't your or my call...it's the Rooneys call and they are going to do a cost/benefit analysis.

I believe the Rooneys will be very pragmatic about this

Trade him piss off 20% of you lose 1% of that 20% because of it
They lose little to no revenue on this
In fact, they may stand to gain some support because of the "Rooney Culture"

Keep him piss off 80% lose 5% of that 80%
potentially lose sponsorship revenue by keeping him (don't think the power of Women's groups won't potentailly affect this $$$$)
Potentially invest more money in a guy that may be "wired" for self destructive behavior (paying him gobs of money as well as futher fines by the league)

That is what they will consider...I don't know Ben, I don't know if he is short circuited or not...but the Rooneys/Steelers would have a better idea than any of us.

A top ten may be a steal in their eyes, regardless of what we think.

Anyway, those of you who are pissed, most of you have said you won't stop being a Steelers fan if they move him. So that being said what besides your messageboard vitriol do the Rooneys have to lose with this?

btw, I don't think in the Rooneys eyes, potential playoff/SuperBowl revenue lost would be enough and none of us can guarantee that they won't make the playoffs if they trade him.

brothervad

If you think only 20% of us would be pissed if he was traded and 80% would be pissed if he stayed, you are seriously skewing things to fit your own opinion. As a matter of fact, I'd say you had the percentages backwards. You're a good guy vad, but you and all of the other fools with that "holier than thou" attitude who want Ben gone need to seriously STFU. It's idiocy on every level.

SteelBucks
04-22-2010, 07:16 AM

Trading Ben = Stupid

we went 9-7 and 8- :) WITH Ben... I'm not knocking Ben, he is spectacular under pressure and was the key to our SB runs but I'm not going to over react and say will be bottome feeders without him.

I always felt that the Steelers had a chance at a championship with Ben....I don't feel the same with Lefty, Dixon and Batch. They might not be bottom feeders but I'm not going to rush out and buy playoff tickets either.

Chadman
04-22-2010, 10:06 AM
"If the Steelers trade Ben, we'll lose games & I'll be upset & I'll never, ever, ever, ever support the Steelers or watch football again because I don't want to lose...blah...blah...blah..."

Geez. Chadman doesn't even live in the US & knows that PITTSBURGH fans are made of sterner stuff than that crap. That PITTSBURGH fans love the fact that a respectable family like the Rooney's run the organisation THEIR WAY & don't sell their soul Al Davis style for a win.

If this is how some of you truly feel, that trading Ben is the worst thing in the world & will make you stop watching football & being Steeler fans- see ya.

Suck it up, Buttercup. The Steelers are bigger than Ben, and will win without him. If it hurts you oh so much to watch poor Benny get his a$$ spanked for not respecting the Steeler organisation the same way as some of his team mates do, and the idea of watching the Steelers rebuild is all too much for your delicate psyche, and that winning trumps believing in an ideal that the Steelers are just 'better' than other organisations & won't whore their soul for a win- if that is all too much for your delicate little hearts- then go support the Patriots. I hear they win at all costs- it might suit your style of support better.

ikestops85
04-22-2010, 10:34 AM
"If the Steelers trade Ben, we'll lose games & I'll be upset & I'll never, ever, ever, ever support the Steelers or watch football again because I don't want to lose...blah...blah...blah..."

Geez. Chadman doesn't even live in the US & knows that PITTSBURGH fans are made of sterner stuff than that crap. That PITTSBURGH fans love the fact that a respectable family like the Rooney's run the organisation THEIR WAY & don't sell their soul Al Davis style for a win.

If this is how some of you truly feel, that trading Ben is the worst thing in the world & will make you stop watching football & being Steeler fans- see ya.

Suck it up, Buttercup. The Steelers are bigger than Ben, and will win without him. If it hurts you oh so much to watch poor Benny get his a$$ spanked for not respecting the Steeler organisation the same way as some of his team mates do, and the idea of watching the Steelers rebuild is all too much for your delicate psyche, and that winning trumps believing in an ideal that the Steelers are just 'better' than other organisations & won't whore their soul for a win- if that is all too much for your delicate little hearts- then go support the Patriots. I hear they win at all costs- it might suit your style of support better.

I certainly agree that I will support the steelers with or without Ben. Just please stop the crap that the Steelers are so much better than all the other organizations from a moral standpoint. They made their money from other peoples gambling addiction. Legally this isn't a problem but many feel that it is a moral problem. Then the comments Rooney made about the Harrison incident was an embarrassment to the organization and the NFL. I didn't hear any of you calling for the NFL to suspend him. In fact the NFL bent over backwards so that the Rooney's could become compliant with league rules.

You can only evaluate Ben as a football player which is what they should be doing. If they get a deal that they feel is better than Ben's value to the team then they should take it. Otherwise keep Ben and move on but don't bring this morality crap into the argument. We all live in glass houses and the Rooney's is probably bigger than most.

phillyesq
04-22-2010, 10:47 AM
Schefter is now reporting that the Raiders, Jags and Bills are NOT interested.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-22-2010, 10:54 AM
When was the last time the Steelers traded a player through the media? Look at the Santonio trade for example....even though he was in the news, the trade possibility was not. It came as a surprise to everyone, including him, even though they had supposedly been shopping him for weeks.

Now, a source within the Steelers organization (not other teams) is leaking info that Ben is on the block. Really? This is simply a case of the Steelers using the overzealous media to send their QB a message.

proudpittsburgher
04-22-2010, 10:58 AM
here's my beef with guys like shefter . . . they just spot off what they here without checking it out, so that they can be first with it. When I broke into the journalism business a decade or so ago, the motto to reporters was always "If your mother tells you she loves you, check it out and get a second source" Guys like Lacanforra (Hampton to be released" and Shefter (The steelers are putting out feelers for a trade) could give a crap whether they are wrong 10 out of 11 times. There are no consequences for being wrong, so they can say what they want. When are people going to start holding these nitwits accountable?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-22-2010, 11:05 AM
here's my beef with guys like shefter . . . they just spot off what they here without checking it out, so that they can be first with it. When I broke into the journalism business a decade or so ago, the motto to reporters was always "If your mother tells you she loves you, check it out and get a second source" Guys like Lacanforra (Hampton to be released" and Shefter (The steelers are putting out feelers for a trade) could give a crap whether they are wrong 10 out of 11 times. There are no consequences for being wrong, so they can say what they want. When are people going to start holding these nitwits accountable?

While I do agree with your opinion on reporters, I do believe that Sheffter here is reporting what he was told by an insider of the organization. I also believe that he was used by the team in order to get this "story" out. He is not being traded, but he is getting the heat turned up on him. This is it Ben, time to become a man.

SteelBucks
04-22-2010, 11:12 AM
Schefter is now reporting that the Raiders, Jags and Bills are NOT interested.

Best news I heard all day.

snarky
04-22-2010, 11:12 AM
Shefter usually has good/accurate info as far as I know. But in general I think it's true to say that a lot of these guys are like leaky septic tanks -- they put out a lot of ****.

snarky
04-22-2010, 11:28 AM
r.e. the raiders

According to a Contra Costa Times story that moved late last night, a Raider employee told the newspaper that they called Pittsburgh about a trade. The Raiders would give the Steelers their eighth pick in return for Big Ben and the Steekers' No. 18. Pittsburgh said no.

http://thehive.modbee.com/node/19018

RuthlessBurgher
04-22-2010, 11:50 AM

Why-

Thats it.

Yes indeed it is- but I bet he'd re-work it to get the heck out of OAK.

Not sure who his agent is- but I'd bet Omar does- and has been on the phone with him.

I'm not certain this will happen- lots of moving pieces and little time- but if that contract issue can be worked- this absolutely makes the most sense for all sides.

Also, Oakland does not have a first round pick next year. They already traded it to New England for Richard Seymour.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-22-2010, 12:03 PM
r.e. the raiders

According to a Contra Costa Times story that moved late last night, a Raider employee told the newspaper that they called Pittsburgh about a trade. The Raiders would give the Steelers their eighth pick in return for Big Ben and the Steekers' No. 18. Pittsburgh said no.

There were reports that the Steelers asked for Asomugha in that deal and the Raiders declined. I did see a report from a POS source, IMO, the trade was going through. Too much crap out there. I can't wait until tonight is over so my head could stop spinning.

http://nflspinzone.com/2010/04/22/ben-r ... done-deal/ (http://nflspinzone.com/2010/04/22/ben-roethlisberger-to-oakland-raiders-a-done-deal/)

Ben Roethlisberger to Oakland Raiders a Done Deal?
AUTHOR: Derek Peiffer | IN: AFC | COMMENTS: 11 Comments

Could Big Ben be on his way to the Black Hole?
According to “Kobe,” a former radio jockey in Pittsburgh, the Pittsburgh Steelers and Oakland Raiders have completed a deal, pending league approval, that would send suspended quarterback Ben Roethlisberger to Oakland for Nnamdi Asomugha and a swap of first-round picks.

Reports early this week had pointed to the Steelers openly shopping Roethlisberger, and even going as far to call teams with top 10 picks in Thursday’s NFL draft to gauge interest.

More specifically, Jason La Canfora of NFL Network, had hinted at trade talks heating up between the Steelers and Raiders, and they may have finally come to fruition.

After his most recent run-in with the law, Roethlisberger seemed to have fallen out of favor with not only the fans in Pittsburgh, but the almighty Rooney family which eats, sleeps, and breathes everything associated with Steeler football.

The deal, if true, would help both sides fill an immediate need, while allowing both to maintain a first-round pick to further help their team through the draft.

Oakland has been a team in shambles in recent years, and has been in search of a franchise quarterback since the departure of Rich Gannon. Roethlisberger fills that need, and allows Oakland to move on from the disaster that was Jamarcus Russell.

Meanwhile, the Steelers, who have had one of the less-than-stellar secondaries over the last few seasons, gain one of the best corners in the NFL (2nd best by my count) in Nnamdi Asomugha, while also ridding themselves of the dark cloud hovering over the franchise stemming from Roethlisberger’s recent behavior.

The move also allows them to move up ten slots, to the number eight pick, where they could get their hands on the next franchise quarterback in Jimmy Clausen.

It’s rare to trade a two-time Super Bowl winning quarterback, but it’s even more rare to replace him immediately, and the Steelers have a chance to do that here. It is a must for the Steelers to move Roethlisberger this off-season, and this may be the best deal they get to do so.

It’s also rare that you can trade for a franchise quarterback. Well, at least before this season with Donovan McNabb going to Washington. You don’t get these opportunities everyday so, if the rumors are true, both teams must jump at this chance

Lebsteel
04-22-2010, 12:10 PM
r.e. the raiders

There were reports that the Steelers asked for Asomugha in that deal and the Raiders declined. I did see a report from a POS source, IMO, the trade was going through. Too much crap out there. I can't wait until tonight is over so my head could stop spinning.

http://nflspinzone.com/2010/04/22/ben-r ... done-deal/ (http://nflspinzone.com/2010/04/22/ben-roethlisberger-to-oakland-raiders-a-done-deal/)

Ben Roethlisberger to Oakland Raiders a Done Deal?
AUTHOR: Derek Peiffer | IN: AFC | COMMENTS: 11 Comments

Could Big Ben be on his way to the Black Hole?
According to “Kobe,” a former radio jockey in Pittsburgh, the Pittsburgh Steelers and Oakland Raiders have completed a deal, pending league approval, that would send suspended quarterback Ben Roethlisberger to Oakland for Nnamdi Asomugha and a swap of first-round picks.

Reports early this week had pointed to the Steelers openly shopping Roethlisberger, and even going as far to call teams with top 10 picks in Thursday’s NFL draft to gauge interest.

More specifically, Jason La Canfora of NFL Network, had hinted at trade talks heating up between the Steelers and Raiders, and they may have finally come to fruition.

After his most recent run-in with the law, Roethlisberger seemed to have fallen out of favor with not only the fans in Pittsburgh, but the almighty Rooney family which eats, sleeps, and breathes everything associated with Steeler football.

The deal, if true, would help both sides fill an immediate need, while allowing both to maintain a first-round pick to further help their team through the draft.

Oakland has been a team in shambles in recent years, and has been in search of a franchise quarterback since the departure of Rich Gannon. Roethlisberger fills that need, and allows Oakland to move on from the disaster that was Jamarcus Russell.

Meanwhile, the Steelers, who have had one of the less-than-stellar secondaries over the last few seasons, gain one of the best corners in the NFL (2nd best by my count) in Nnamdi Asomugha, while also ridding themselves of the dark cloud hovering over the franchise stemming from Roethlisberger’s recent behavior.

The move also allows them to move up ten slots, to the number eight pick, where they could get their hands on the next franchise quarterback in Jimmy Clausen.

It’s rare to trade a two-time Super Bowl winning quarterback, but it’s even more rare to replace him immediately, and the Steelers have a chance to do that here. It is a must for the Steelers to move Roethlisberger this off-season, and this may be the best deal they get to do so.

It’s also rare that you can trade for a franchise quarterback. Well, at least before this season with Donovan McNabb going to Washington. You don’t get these opportunities everyday so, if the rumors are true, both teams must jump at this chance
I would really like to have Asomugha, but I'd also like to have more if we have to give up Ben. I'd hate it if we took Claussen at 8. I'm not sure who I would take there if we got Asomugha in the deal. Maybe McClain? Then use our 2nd Rd. pick on Tony Pike?

NWNewell
04-22-2010, 12:17 PM
I can't imagine the Rooney's trading Ben for Asomugha and 500 draft points.

Not to mention Asomugha's contract.

proudpittsburgher
04-22-2010, 12:34 PM

That is what burns me. If three days from now, Ben is still a Steeler, what consequences does Kobe (:wft, they are now in the business of quoting former Pittsburgh radio personalities) face for leaking a story that the deal is a "done deal" There is very little backpeddling with that statement.

proudpittsburgher
04-22-2010, 05:41 PM
See, this is why I refuse to believe anything from these guys. . .

Shefter starts with this yesterday . . .

@Adam_Schefter

and goes to this today

source told Schefter on Thursday that Pittsburgh did not initiate contact with any teams.

Thanks for all the hysteria, Adam. Maybe you should check for a second source before you try and be the first with a story, you fuggin moron.

NorthCoast
04-22-2010, 06:50 PM
I am a Pittsburgh Steelers fan first.....

then I am a Ben Roethlisberger fan.....

team comes first, I support the team....QBs come and go.....

ghettoscott
04-22-2010, 08:30 PM
his tweets are ahead of the broadcast....at least in my town.....