PDA

View Full Version : Ben suspension: Four to Six games

Jom112
04-21-2010, 10:32 AM
@Adam_Schefter

Filed to ESPN: @mortreport and I are reporting that Ben Roethlisberger will be suspended four to six games, with conditions attached.

Thinking it's 6 games, but will be reduce to 4 if he does counseling. So basically 4 games...

Oviedo
04-21-2010, 10:34 AM
I'm sure the condidtions will allow him to reduce the suspension to 2-3 games if he behaves.

flippy
04-21-2010, 10:34 AM
hor$e$hit

Lebsteel
04-21-2010, 10:35 AM
Also from Fox Sports
http://twitter.com/fox6sports

I would have been happier with 4 and then only 2 if he meets all requirements. Obviously the NFL is using Ben as the fall guy. He did nothing wrong, because they were not there to witness it.

http://www.hybridcars.com/images/stories/ostrich-313.jpg

BradshawsHairdresser
04-21-2010, 10:36 AM
4 to 6 games...exactly what I predicted. And just about right, IMO.

Steelgal
04-21-2010, 10:37 AM
Also from Fox Sports
http://twitter.com/fox6sports

I would have been happier with 4 and then only 2 if he meets all requirements.

I agree, I was hoping with 4, possibly to 2, but Mort sounds as if it's a MINIMUM of 4 regardless of his behavior from here on out. That's too steep IMO without an official charge.

I'm ticked :HeadBanger

frankthetank1
04-21-2010, 10:37 AM
i expected 4 games. anything more is a bit much. at least we play the falcons at home and at tampa bay in that stretch. most likely we will be 2-2 or 3-1 going into the bye week.

Jooser
04-21-2010, 10:39 AM
Report: Roethlisberger gets 4-6 game suspension
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 21, 2010 10:34 AM ET
Ben Roethlisberger will be suspended 4-6 games for violating the NFL personal conduct policy, according to ESPN's Chris Mortensen and Adam Schefter.

The conditional suspension can be reduced to four games based on Roethlisberger behavior and compliance with clinical evaluators.

The Steelers were reportedly bracing for an eight-game suspension, so this news may come as a small relief.

SteelBucks
04-21-2010, 10:39 AM
IMO, he'll get the same suspension that Vick got. 6 games reduced to 2 if he stays out of trouble.

Steelgal
04-21-2010, 10:40 AM
There was an article stating that Ben would accept the punishment if he agreed with it or something like that. Wonder if he tries to get the labor union to fight it????

NW Steeler
I'm a bit surprised with 6 games. I thought that it would be 4 max. It seems a little out of whack when compared to what some other guys got for crimes that they committed and were convicted for. Bullsh!t.

pfelix73
Yea, Hor$e$hit.

Any tickets I have for the Atlanta game and maybe even the Baltimore game if he's suspended for that one too will be up for sale- I'm not going out and supporting those hypocrites. Email me if you are interested in them. Face value- 1st come 1st served.

Just keep in mind, they won't come out til summer.

:tt1

Jom112
04-21-2010, 10:41 AM
There was an article stating that Ben would accept the punishment if he agreed with it or something like that. Wonder if he tries to get the labor union to fight it????

@mortreport @timothy__wilson Will NFLPA fight anything over a certain amount of games? > Ben didn't invite union to his hearing

frankthetank1
04-21-2010, 10:42 AM
IMO, he'll get the same suspension that Vick got. 6 games reduced to 2 if he stays out of trouble.

didnt vick get 6 games reduced to 4? i also thought vick was suspended for all six games, maybe it was the fact he hardly played when his suspension was over. thats some justice huh. i guess being accused of sexual assault is equal to killing dogs. nice :roll:

NW Steeler
04-21-2010, 10:43 AM
And why are they saying 4-6 with a chance to reduce it? Reduce it to what? Does that mean it is 6 with a chance to reduce it to four?

Steelgal
04-21-2010, 10:44 AM
And why are they saying 4-6 with a chance to reduce it? Reduce it to what? Does that mean it is 6 with a chance to reduce it to four?

Yes, 6 with a chance to reduce to 4 per Mort and Adam Shefter.

pfelix73
04-21-2010, 10:44 AM
OK- Now what Vick did, convicted and everything is now = to this?

LOL

:wft

RuthlessBurgher
04-21-2010, 10:48 AM
I'll be at the Atlanta and Baltimore games, supporting Dixon or Leftwich or whoever. The team isn't giving up during the first month of the season. Fans shouldn't either.

Jooser

yes

RussBII
I'll be at the Atlanta and Baltimore games, supporting Dixon or Leftwich or whoever. The team isn't giving up during the first month of the season. Fans shouldn't either.

Money, sir... money.

Jom112
04-21-2010, 10:51 AM

didnt vick get 6 games reduced to 4? i also thought vick was suspended for all six games, maybe it was the fact he hardly played when his suspension was over. thats some justice huh. i guess being accused of sexual assault is equal to killing dogs. nice :roll:

I thought Godell suspended him before the trial even started. And then during the trial and the plea bargain he didn't play. Then after he came back there was a 6 game suspension...

BradshawsHairdresser
04-21-2010, 10:52 AM
OK- Now what Vick did, convicted and everything is now = to this?

LOL

:wft

Vick served a couple of years in prison, and had to pay back a whole bunch of the money the Falcons had given him. In effect, he had a suspension of a couple of years. Fortunately, Ben is not looking at that kind of suspension.

frankthetank1
04-21-2010, 10:55 AM

I thought Godell suspended him before the trial even started. And then during the trial and the plea bargain he didn't play. Then after he came back there was a 6 game suspension...

thanks thats what it was. i thought vick was suspended more than 4-6 but wasnt sure

SteelBucks
04-21-2010, 10:55 AM

Vick played in Week 3 against KC.

flippy
04-21-2010, 10:57 AM
did i mention, hor$e$hit....

Ozey74
04-21-2010, 10:59 AM

Well put Ruthless. Can't just pull for the team when all the ducks are in a row. Real fans have to take their lumps.

For the past several years, I've known that the Steelers were going to be in Nashville this season. I live 2 hours away and this is as close as they come for me. In the last 12 hours, I've learned that Ben wont be apart of this game. Yes, it sucks & it gives me another reason to be mad at Ben. But that is life. I will go to the game and have a great time.

:tt2

frankthetank1
04-21-2010, 11:01 AM

i agree. it doesnt matter to me who is at qb i will still watch every play and im going to plan on making a trip to the burgh to see dixon or lefty start against the ravens

feltdizz
04-21-2010, 11:01 AM
Sounds fair to me. This isn't about guilt or being there to witness the crime. It's about the same guy being accused of the same thing 2 consecutive offseasons.

Those who refuses to acknowledge this are mimmicking the demeanor of athletes who get suspensions for failing to change their behavior off the field.

papillon
04-21-2010, 11:03 AM

I thought Goodell suspended him before the trial even started. And then during the trial and the plea bargain he didn't play. Then after he came back there was a 6 game suspension...

Vick was suspended indefinitely by Goodell once he plead guilty to the charges brought against him. They then let the courtroom proceedings play out, Vick served his time and then Goodell added 6 more games that could be reduced to 2 with good behavior.

Pappy

calmkiller
04-21-2010, 11:04 AM
Report: Roethlisberger expected to get 4-6 game suspension
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 21, 2010 10:34 AM ET
Ben Roethlisberger is expected to be suspended 4-6 games for violating the NFL personal conduct policy, according to ESPN's Chris Mortensen and Adam Schefter.

The conditional suspension will be a minimum of four games. ESPN expects it to be a six-game suspension that can be reduced two games based on Roethlisberger's behavior and compliance with clinical evaluators. Counseling may wind up being part of the deal, in addition to possible random alcohol testing.

The Steelers were reportedly bracing for an eight-game suspension, so this news may come as a small relief.

If Roethlisberger were to miss four games, he could return to the team after a Week Five bye. Pittsburgh's first four lucky opponents: Atlanta, Tennessee, Tampa Bay, and Baltimore.

Roethlisberger is expected to accept the punishment without appeal, but that hasn't been confirmed yet.

JAR
04-21-2010, 11:05 AM
If true, total horse crap. What's to stop a Ratbird of Bengal fan making another accusation?

feltdizz
04-21-2010, 11:10 AM
If true, total horse crap. What's to stop a Ratbird of Bengal fan making another accusation?

Ben is what stops them.

Ben not going out to clubs and giving random bitches shots or sleeping with total strangers who are forced to be at his service because they work for the hotel would have stopped all of this.

Stop blaming other people for Ben's decisions. Ben can't control other people but he can control his health and well being by taking the extra steps a star athlete has to take.

It really isn't that hard.

JAR
04-21-2010, 11:21 AM

Ben is what stops them.

Ben not going out to clubs and giving random bitches shots or sleeping with total strangers who are forced to be at his service because they work for the hotel would have stopped all of this.

Stop blaming other people for Ben's decisions. Ben can't control other people but he can control his health and well being by taking the extra steps a star athlete has to take.

It really isn't that hard.

What if he is no where near a club? What if he's at his hotel for the BMore game and someone accuses him?

ghettoscott
04-21-2010, 11:24 AM
it kind of burns me up that Jom was first to post this :)

pfelix73
04-21-2010, 11:25 AM
No- if the team can not put the best product on the field (including their franchise QB) then I will not support that as a fan. I'm not paying full price for a ticket and then watch the 2nd string QB play when the 1st string QB isn't hurt.

I don't (and many others) don't go to the pre season games for the same reason....

pfelix73
04-21-2010, 11:28 AM
This crap about Ben giving drinks to minors is total horsecrap. What about when those underage folks at a home Steelers game are getting drinks from all those vendors out there in the stands, etc? Hypocrisy. Yea- it happens....

cruzer8
04-21-2010, 11:29 AM
I hope these reports prove to be untrue. I can accept 2 games. Grudgingly. Anything more than that is bullsh!t.

aggiebones
04-21-2010, 11:31 AM
Let's just assume Ben got hurt in the last preseason game and will miss 2 games.

HE BETTER NOT GET HURT DURING THE SEASON THIS YEAR!!!

He always misses a couple games, so not a big deal if he stays healthy.

Oviedo
04-21-2010, 11:41 AM
I hope these reports prove to be untrue. I can accept 2 games. Grudgingly. Anything more than that is bullsh!t.

I tend to agree with that. Anything more than 2 games for what in reality has become a publicity black-eye is BS.

If ben toes the line and agrees to counseling then 2 games should be more than enough. If it is in fact a minimum of 4 games with no chance to reduce then that is overkill and IMO unfair.

The union should have real issues with a minimum of 4 because it sets a dangerous precedent that players only need to be accused of misconduct and the commish can suspend them.

Jom112
04-21-2010, 11:42 AM

Yeah, but I'm going to stay out of this thread now...

pfelix73
04-21-2010, 11:43 AM
OK-

At this point since something seems to be inevitable at this point I will reluctantly say:

:Agree with Oviedo's comments..... 2 games.

JAR
04-21-2010, 11:46 AM

I'm sending someone over to Cinci to accuse Palmer of sexual assault. Plan to be without your starting QB for a few games this season. :)

JAR
04-21-2010, 11:49 AM

I'm sending someone over to Cinci to accuse Palmer of sexual assault. Plan to be without your starting QB for a few games this season. :)

BREAKING!!! Hot Dog accuses Palmer of sexual assault. Goodell to decide on punishment. The hot dog has more credibility than the drunken sorority sister, Goodell better go for 8 games. :)

http://www.insidesocal.com/tomhoffarth/carson-palmer-hot-dog.png

Ghost
04-21-2010, 11:52 AM
Diito what Flippy said - horsesh!t.

And I posted on another board almost exactly what Oviedo said - this sets a bad precendent for players getting excessively punished based on unproven accusations. While the Uinion said Ben didn't invite them to the hearing I'm surprised they just allow this (of course, if it's true and 4 is the minimum).

SteelAbility
04-21-2010, 11:56 AM

Yes it is vague there. I think it means one of the following ...

4 games with ability to reduce
5 games with ability to reduce
6 games with ability to reduce

SteelAbility
04-21-2010, 11:58 AM

Now if you can just get Palmer to go to a redneck bar with an entourage, have him buy shots and announce that "all you bitches take my shots," and follow her (or him) into the bathroom alone, you have a solid plan. ;)

JAR
04-21-2010, 11:58 AM
If true, flood his inbox

Jom112
04-21-2010, 12:00 PM

Meh, some rest might do him some good...

JAR

Now if you can just get Palmer to go to a redneck bar with an entourage, have him buy shots and announce that "all you bitches take my shots," and follow her (or him) into the bathroom alone, you have a solid plan. ;)

But those are just accusations of drunk girls. It looks like anything made up will work.

ikestops85

I tend to agree with that. Anything more than 2 games for what in reality has become a publicity black-eye is BS.

If ben toes the line and agrees to counseling then 2 games should be more than enough. If it is in fact a minimum of 4 games with no chance to reduce then that is overkill and IMO unfair.

The union should have real issues with a minimum of 4 because it sets a dangerous precedent that players only need to be accused of misconduct and the commish can suspend them.

:Agree with both of you. A 2 game suspension to me says "Ben, you are an idiot. Straighten up before you are charged". A six game suspension, even reduced to 4 games, says "Ben, you are a sex offender and should register in every place you live".

My advice is if it's 2 games or less then accept it. If it's 4 games possibly reduced to 2 ... meh, a coin toss. Anything more than that --- FIGHT IT!!

SteelAbility
04-21-2010, 12:04 PM

But those are just accusations of drunk girls. It looks like anything made up will work.

I think you're missing the point. Do enough things to set a context/mood/atmosphere and the accusations have a lot more umph to them.

feltdizz
04-21-2010, 12:26 PM
2 games is OK for most fans but 4 games is a travesty and rediefines the whole suspension process?

I'll chalk it up to emotion and hope a day or 2 calms people down. Right now Im reading about comparisons to Vick while ignoring the 2 seasons of absence and jail time. Now anyone accused of a traffic violation will need 4 games off... calm down people and realize the evidence in this case and the prior negative headlines are the reason for the harsh punishment.

The defenders who used the absence of a charge will never see this with clear eyes anyway.

Ben won't be randomly accused and if he is he better have witnesses and be in a clean environment that shows the chick is lying. If he is accused again and their is booze, a gas station bathroom and underage chickpeas in the area he is an idiot.

Once again... goldiggers have a job a to do and so does Ben... Ben has the money and power to control his surroundings. If he can't control the surroundings get the hell out of there.

BURGH86STEEL
04-21-2010, 12:38 PM

I agree.

BURGH86STEEL
04-21-2010, 12:40 PM
2 games is OK for most fans but 4 games is a travesty and rediefines the whole suspension process?

I'll chalk it up to emotion and hope a day or 2 calms people down. Right now Im reading about comparisons to Vick while ignoring the 2 seasons of absence and jail time. Now anyone accused of a traffic violation will need 4 games off... calm down people and realize the evidence in this case and the prior negative headlines are the reason for the harsh punishment.

The defenders who used the absence of a charge will never see this with clear eyes anyway.

Ben won't be randomly accused and if he is he better have witnesses and be in a clean environment that shows the chick is lying. If he is accused again and their is booze, a gas station bathroom and underage chickpeas in the area he is an idiot.

Once again... goldiggers have a job a to do and so does Ben... Ben has the money and power to control his surroundings. If he can't control the surroundings get the hell out of there.

I agree.

AngryAsian
04-21-2010, 12:42 PM

I agree.

Just solidifying my plans for week 3... traveling to Tampa to watch Dixon carve up the Bucs D for 250+ yards and 3 TDs....
:tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

NW Steeler
04-21-2010, 01:01 PM
It will make it all the sweeter when we weather the early season storm as the rest of the team picks up the slack, the D is re-energized, Ben comes back and we ROLL into the playoffs! That is what I'm talkin' about!