PDA

View Full Version : Steelers have received trade feelers for Ben

SteelCrazy
04-20-2010, 10:20 PM
Posted by Mike Florio on April 20, 2010 9:39 PM ET

As the Pittsburgh Steelers and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger wait to find out the number of games for which Roethlisberger will be suspended to start the 2010 season, Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that the team has "received trade feelers" from other team, and that the Steelers have not ruled out trading Roethlisberger.

Though the Steelers are far from engaging in a Santonio-style fire sale, Dulac writes that "the possibility Roethlisberger could be traded, provided the price is right, is not being discounted by the team."

The belief in some circles is that, while the Steelers aren't inclined to trade Roethlisberger, they're hoping to scare him straight with, for example, a potential trade to a team like the Raiders. And so throughout the first round of the 2010 draft on Thursday night, Roethlisberger likely will be braced for the Commissioner to announce that there has been a trade, and that the Steelers are now on the clock.

That said, we think that both sides would benefit from a fresh start, given that Roethlisberger has acquired pariah status in the eyes of many Pittsburghers -- and that it could be a long time before he ever begins to reclaim his image.

profootballtalk.com

BURGH86STEEL
04-20-2010, 10:30 PM
It is possible he will be traded if teams are feeling. Will be interesting to see how this plays out. I would feel kinda bad for Ben if he went to a team like the Raiders. I don't believe he would have as much success if he were no longer in a Steelers uniform.

Flasteel
04-20-2010, 10:33 PM

As the Pittsburgh Steelers and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger wait to find out the number of games for which Roethlisberger will be suspended to start the 2010 season, Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that the team has "received trade feelers" from other team, and that the Steelers have not ruled out trading Roethlisberger.

Though the Steelers are far from engaging in a Santonio-style fire sale, Dulac writes that "the possibility Roethlisberger could be traded, provided the price is right, is not being discounted by the team."

The belief in some circles is that, while the Steelers aren't inclined to trade Roethlisberger, they're hoping to scare him straight with, for example, a potential trade to a team like the Raiders. And so throughout the first round of the 2010 draft on Thursday night, Roethlisberger likely will be braced for the Commissioner to announce that there has been a trade, and that the Steelers are now on the clock.

That said, we think that both sides would benefit from a fresh start, given that Roethlisberger has acquired pariah status in the eyes of many Pittsburghers -- and that it could be a long time before he ever begins to reclaim his image.

profootballtalk.com

Don't Bouchette and Dulac write for the same paper? In his latest chat Bouchette stated that the trade talk is getting out of hand and now his colleague is saying that the team is receiving "feelers" and keeping open the possibility of a trade.

What gives?

I think it's ridiculous. Any Steeler fan who is calling for this represents the epitome of intolerance and self-righteousness in my opinion. As stated, I'm all for a heavy fine, a 2-game suspension, and even counseling. I believe that anything beyond that is excessive and talk of trading Ben away without giving him a chance for redemption is just plain retarded.

pfelix73
04-20-2010, 10:39 PM
:Agree

And even 2 games is excessive in my opinion. If they run Ben out of town, I'm not going to any games this fall, and you all can have my tickets. This talk of trading a franchise QB is irresponsible.

:tt1

SteelCrazy
04-20-2010, 10:42 PM
:Agree with both of you.........If they trade Ben I will be very pissed

ROLROC
04-20-2010, 10:46 PM

Mick'sTeam
04-20-2010, 11:25 PM
I would love to know what the front office considers the right price.

WoodleyofTroy
04-21-2010, 12:05 AM

#8 overall this year, Nnamdi Asomugha, and next years first.

Anything outside of that, you let this die down, let Ben clean up his act, and win more super bowls.

RuthlessBurgher
04-21-2010, 01:01 AM

Anything outside of that, you let this die down, let Ben clean up his act, and win more super bowls.

Oakland's 2011 first round pick already belongs to New England (Richard Seymour trade). They cannot trade it again.

sd steel
04-21-2010, 01:15 AM
Al Davis is on his death bed, he and Ben wear the same hairstyle on occasion, Ben would be free to do whatever he wants as long as he just wins, their offense could be good with a QB, and their defense isn't that bad. Raper Nation would lov....I mean Raider Nation would love him, and although Al doesn't have a firstrounder next year to give, I could see him giving away every pick for the next 3 years to acquire Ben. And I'm sure the Rooney's wouldn't mind taking anything they could get from OLD, almost dead, Al.

steelsun7
04-21-2010, 01:21 AM

And even 2 games is excessive in my opinion. If they run Ben out of town, I'm not going to any games this fall, and you all can have my tickets. This talk of trading a franchise QB is irresponsible.

cool....ill take those tix :Cheers let me know!

Jooser
04-21-2010, 07:15 AM
Steelers have received trade feelers, haven't ruled out Big Ben deal
As the Pittsburgh Steelers and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger wait to find out the number of games for which Roethlisberger will be suspended to start the 2010 season, Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that the team has "received trade feelers" from other teams, and that the Steelers have not ruled out trading Roethlisberger.

Oviedo
04-21-2010, 07:43 AM
As written in the trib today: "the Steelers are mad, not stupid!"

You would have to get more than Denver got for Cutler to even consider such a deal and then you had better figure out how to get Colt McCoy, who IMO will be the best QB out of this draft.

I would be stunned to the point of being speachless if BB was traded. And I would be disppointed I'd have to wait another 20 years for a Super Bowl.

SteelAbility
04-21-2010, 08:13 AM
Trading Ben right now would be seriously reactionary. Unless someone wants to give the Steelers the deed to the farm forget it.

MaxAMillion
04-21-2010, 08:45 AM
I don't think trading him is outrageous because I don't believe Ben will have a long career. He takes way too much punishment each year. It will be harder for Ben to come back from some of the hits he takes as he gets older. He has already had a couple of concussions and it is quite likely he will have them more frequently in the future (supposedly you are more vulnerable to concussions once you have one).

My guess is that Ben probably only has 4-5 more good years left. Having said that, I wouldn't trade him unless I got back at least two first round picks.

Steel Life
04-21-2010, 09:10 AM
I just love how Florio has appointed himself the conscience of the team...

proudpittsburgher
04-21-2010, 09:11 AM
I believe that anything beyond that is excessive and talk of trading Ben away without giving him a chance for redemption is just plain retarded.

:Agree wholeheartedly.

Oviedo
04-21-2010, 09:22 AM
I believe that anything beyond that is excessive and talk of trading Ben away without giving him a chance for redemption is just plain retarded.

:Agree wholeheartedly.

:Agree :Agree

pfelix73
04-21-2010, 10:20 AM
Colt McCoy? lol.

NW Steeler
04-21-2010, 10:38 AM
:lol:

frankthetank1
04-21-2010, 10:40 AM
Colt McCoy? lol.

that would be how you keep me away from any steeler games this season lol. ben isnt going any where and he will clean up his act

BradshawsHairdresser
04-21-2010, 10:49 AM
Ben is not entitled to any "chance for redemption" from the Steelers. If they so choose to grant him that privilege, fine. But some of you write as though it is OWED to him.

Football is a multi-billion dollar business, and Ben is a multi-million dollar player. If the
ownership of the Steelers feel as though it is in the best interest of their business to trade Ben, then that's their prerogative.

Of course, you are free to disagree, and whine and moan all you want. Isn't that one of the purposes of this forum?

cruzer8
04-21-2010, 11:25 AM
Ben is not entitled to any "chance for redemption" from the Steelers. If they so choose to grant him that privilege, fine. But some of you write as though it is OWED to him.

Football is a multi-billion dollar business, and Ben is a multi-million dollar player. If the
ownership of the Steelers feel as though it is in the best interest of their business to trade Ben, then that's their prerogative.

Of course, you are free to disagree, and whine and moan all you want. Isn't that one of the purposes of this forum?

Yes it is a business. Say goodbye to all that playoff revenue if Ben is dealt. ;)

WoodleyofTroy
04-21-2010, 11:35 AM
Yes it is a business. Say goodbye to all that playoff revenue if Ben is dealt. ;)

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/Qwq7BYOnDrM/0.jpg

ikestops85
04-21-2010, 11:50 AM

Exactly! This is a business and to make money you need to win. I have no problem with the FO listening to trade offers. They should listen to and evaluate trade offers for any player on the team. That is their job.

If they think they can make a trade involving Ben that will make the team more successful over the next 5 years then they should make it. I just don't know who can offer them something like that where they can say it is a sure thing ... or almost a sure thing.

I love Ben in the black and gold and I hope they keep him. He has taken this franchise to a level they haven't been to in a long time. But if they decide to trade him I will still be a Steeler fan.

Black n' Gold forever :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

BradshawsHairdresser
04-21-2010, 12:03 PM

Exactly! This is a business and to make money you need to win. I have no problem with the FO listening to trade offers. They should listen to and evaluate trade offers for any player on the team. That is their job.

If they think they can make a trade involving Ben that will make the team more successful over the next 5 years then they should make it. I just don't know who can offer them something like that where they can say it is a sure thing ... or almost a sure thing.

There is no such thing as a "sure thing," or even "almost a sure thing," whether we're talking about trading Ben OR keeping him.

What if, a few months down the road, Ben has another episode like the last one?
Then he's looking at a YEAR suspension, or longer...and the Steelers are looking at ZERO trade value. With his history, I don't think anyone can say it's a "sure thing," or even "almost a sure thing" that Ben stays out of trouble.

I love Ben in the black and gold and I hope they keep him. He has taken this franchise to a level they haven't been to in a long time. But if they decide to trade him I will still be a Steeler fan.

Whether we keep him or trade him, I, too, am committed to being a Steelers fan.

SteelAbility
04-21-2010, 12:10 PM

There is no such thing as a "sure thing," or even "almost a sure thing," whether we're talking about trading Ben OR keeping him.

What if, a few months down the road, Ben has another episode like the last one?
Then he's looking at a YEAR suspension, or longer...and the Steelers are looking at ZERO trade value. With his history, I don't think anyone can say it's a "sure thing," or even "almost a sure thing" that Ben stays out of trouble.

Whether we keep him or trade him, I, too, am committed to being a Steelers fan.

Are you sure of that. ;) Sorry, couldn't resist.

aggiebones
04-21-2010, 01:04 PM
Garcia, Warner and Steve Young for example had a few concussions, but hung around a good while. Ben is considerably bigger.
I do thing Ben's concussions may have contributed to his recent dumbness. Or at least he should be playing that aspect up more.

Oviedo
04-21-2010, 01:06 PM
Colt McCoy? lol.

If Ben goes, then McCoy is the one QB I want out of this draft

BURGH86STEEL
04-21-2010, 01:07 PM
Garcia, Warner and Steve Young for example had a few concussions, but hung around a good while. Ben is considerably bigger.
I do thing Ben's concussions may have contributed to his recent dumbness. Or at least he should be playing that aspect up more.

I suppose we better hope he does not suffer any more concussions.

anger 82&95
04-21-2010, 01:23 PM

profootballtalk.com

Don't Bouchette and Dulac write for the same paper? In his latest chat Bouchette stated that the trade talk is getting out of hand and now his colleague is saying that the team is receiving "feelers" and keeping open the possibility of a trade.

What gives?

I think it's ridiculous. Any Steeler fan who is calling for this represents the epitome of intolerance and self-righteousness in my opinion. As stated, I'm all for a heavy fine, a 2-game suspension, and even counseling. I believe that anything beyond that is excessive and talk of trading Ben away without giving him a chance for redemption is just plain retarded.I just heard on ESPN radio that the Steelers are “considering trade options.” Has everyone forgotten the team diaspora that occurred during the “one for the thumb” epoch?

snarky
04-21-2010, 01:50 PM
Haven't read this whole thread but wow!

The Steelers have begun contacting teams to see if they would be willing to trade a top 10 pick for Roethlisberger, an NFL source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5121614

This isn't the Steelers considering offers it is active solicitation of offers.

MaxAMillion
04-21-2010, 02:01 PM
I am starting to think a trade doesn't really even matter anymore. This season is sunk. The Ben cloud will hover over the Steelers all season. 2011 will probably be stopped because of a work stoppage (at least suspended). What is there to look forward to over the next couple of years? I really don't see much.

I am starting to become indifferent to this entire thing. The Steelers are not going anywhere in the near future.

feltdizz
04-21-2010, 02:01 PM
Colt McCoy? lol.

that would be how you keep me away from any steeler games this season lol. ben isnt going any where and he will clean up his act

I think Colt will be garbage and I think Leflauver will be the best QB out of this draft...

one other thing...

The FO doesn't need to win SB's to make a ton of money.. we have had sellouts for years and went 25 years without a SB victory and most fans stuck it out.

We said the same thing about Art dying, Art Jr moving on, Noll leaving, Cowher leaving, Tomlin getting the job... BA staying.

Everytime we have a major change to the team it's doom and gloom happens but we always bounce back. Not saying we will win 2 more SB's in 4 years....

Shawn
04-21-2010, 02:25 PM
I have to disagree Dizz. I believe Colt has the skills to be a very good NFL QB...reminds me alot of Brees.

feltdizz
04-21-2010, 02:29 PM
I have to disagree Dizz. I believe Colt has the skills to be a very good NFL QB...reminds me alot of Brees.

honestly.... I can't remember one big time game where he has showed up. Same with Bradford.

Maybe I'm wrong but these 2 have scrub written all over them. I don't think his pro day was even big news.. but I'm a :Hater

:D

ANPSTEEL
04-21-2010, 02:35 PM
Colt McCoy? lol.

I think Colt will be garbage and I think Leflauver will be the best QB out of this draft...

one other thing...

The FO doesn't need to win SB's to make a ton of money.. we have had sellouts for years and went 25 years without a SB victory and most fans stuck it out.

We said the same thing about Art dying, Art Jr moving on, Noll leaving, Cowher leaving, Tomlin getting the job... BA staying.

Everytime we have a major change to the team it's doom and gloom happens but we always bounce back. Not saying we will win 2 more SB's in 4 years....

I think Colt McCoy is going to be a bust, but that is just me.

Personally, I'd sit tight at QB this year- to see if DD can develop. If not, make a move to draft a qb next season when the draft class is projected as much better.

D Rock
04-21-2010, 03:05 PM

Don't be ridiculous. 2 firsts and one of the top two corners in the game today? Even with a large suspension he's got lots of value because he's signed for so many more years, but expectations that high need to be toned down a bit or you might go off the deep end after they get another 5th to match Santonio's!