PDA

View Full Version : Leftwich

BURGH86STEEL
04-20-2010, 05:41 PM
Being reported that Steelers gave up 7th rounder for Leftwich. Good deal if it is true.

The Man of Steel
04-20-2010, 05:42 PM
Nice.

calmkiller
04-20-2010, 05:50 PM
On April 2, we listed for SportingNews.com five moves that should be made.* Though the suggestion that the Colts should sign Chargers left tackle Marcus McNeill to an offer sheet took on a life of its own in San Diego, none of the deals had occurred.

Until now.

The Steelers have traded for quarterback Byron Leftwich, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN.* In return, the Steelers gave up only a seventh-round pick.

Leftwich presumably will compete with Dennis Dixon for the Week One starting job.* Leftwich also provides insurance in the event that Roethlisberger runs afoul of the terms of what is now expected to be a conditional suspension, with a hefty number of game (six or eight) potentially reduced to, say, four if he stays out of trouble.

Leftwich also would help round out a decent depth chart, in the event the Steelers trade Roethlisberger.

Leftwich joined the Steelers in 2008, after Charlie Batch broke a collarbone while running with the ball in a preseason game.* The seventh overall pick in the 2003 draft appeared in five games for the Steelers, generating a passer rating in excess of 100 and winning a Super Bowl ring.

Herewegosteelers!
04-20-2010, 05:51 PM
Good move. I like Dixon but Leftwich gives them a better chance to win if Ben is out for four games or more

SteelCrazy
04-20-2010, 05:53 PM
Is he here just for the suspension? Will he still remain on the team after it's over? Do we keep 4 QB's? If not, do we cut him, Batch, or Dixon? What kind of contract does he have?

hawaiiansteel
04-20-2010, 05:56 PM
Is he here just for the suspension? Will he still remain on the team after it's over? Do we keep 4 QB's? If not, do we cut him, Batch, or Dixon? What kind of contract does he have?

i would think Batch is in danger of getting cut after Ben's suspension is over.

Jooser
04-20-2010, 05:56 PM
I think it's an excellent move, if true. Batch is just too old. Byron has a canon and I think he'll start while Ben is serving his time.

Jooser
04-20-2010, 05:57 PM
per PFT:

Steelers bring back Byron Leftwich
Posted by Mike Florio on April 20, 2010 5:47 PM ET
On April 2, we listed for SportingNews.com five moves that should be made. Though the suggestion that the Colts should sign Chargers left tackle Marcus McNeill to an offer sheet took on a life of its own in San Diego, none of the deals had occurred.

Until now.

The Steelers have traded for quarterback Byron Leftwich, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN. In return, the Steelers gave up only a seventh-round pick.

Leftwich presumably will compete with Dennis Dixon for the Week One starting job. Leftwich also provides insurance in the event that Roethlisberger runs afoul of the terms of what is now expected to be a conditional suspension, with a hefty number of game (six or eight) potentially reduced to, say, four if he stays out of trouble.

Leftwich also would help round out a decent depth chart, in the event the Steelers trade Roethlisberger.

Leftwich joined the Steelers in 2008, after Charlie Batch broke a collarbone while running with the ball in a preseason game. The seventh overall pick in the 2003 draft appeared in five games for the Steelers, generating a passer rating in excess of 100 and winning a Super Bowl ring.

BURGH86STEEL
04-20-2010, 05:57 PM

I think Batch will be the odd man out. He will go back to clip board duty if all the QB's remain healthy.

It will be more interesting to see who comes out of camp as the backup/starter for game one. I'd like to see what Dixon has with proper time to prepare for games. They might be able to trade him down the road if he plays well enough.

Chadman
04-20-2010, 06:01 PM
Insurance for after they trade Ben?

:stirpot

:D

Chadman
04-20-2010, 06:04 PM
Actually, smart move. 7th rounders are nothing picks anyway- Leftwich WILL make the roster, so the Steelers get a contributing 7th round pick. Leftwich should start the games Ben misses.

If Ben was to get a 2 game suspension- would the Steelers have not just used Dixon and run the ball alot? Acquiring Leftwich could be the strongest indication yet that the Steelers expect Ben to miss some significant time.

8 weeks?

BURGH86STEEL
04-20-2010, 06:05 PM

Maybe if they get a good enough offer for Ben.

SteelCrazy
04-20-2010, 06:05 PM

You evil, evil man.............. :twisted:

NW Steeler
04-20-2010, 06:07 PM
This is concerning. Maybe the suspension will be longer than I was thinking it would be.

BURGH86STEEL
04-20-2010, 06:09 PM
Actually, smart move. 7th rounders are nothing picks anyway- Leftwich WILL make the roster, so the Steelers get a contributing 7th round pick. Leftwich should start the games Ben misses.

If Ben was to get a 2 game suspension- would the Steelers have not just used Dixon and run the ball alot? Acquiring Leftwich could be the strongest indication yet that the Steelers expect Ben to miss some significant time.

8 weeks?

I'd like to see Dixon win the job. Coaches like vets with experience so it will probably be Leftwich. It appears the QB position will be a position of strength this season like it was in 08.

I don't think Ben will be suspended for more then 4 games. Goodell/Steelers could give him 8 but he will be back in 4 for good behavior.

kindlecatsb'ng
04-20-2010, 06:11 PM
What is all this "trade Ben" talk. Listening to 93.7 today and lots of this kind of talk with call ins & the talk radio hosts. One suggestion posed was trade him for Tony Romo? Oh, my .... :Blah

I don't get the 8 game suspension talk either. Donte Stallworth killed a pedestrian and got a 1 year suspension. I understand the league making a statement but this is getting beyond was is even reasonable and sensible. Glad to see Leftwich back and would like to see Charlie Batch as a coach someday for the Steelers.

steelblood
04-20-2010, 06:16 PM
Why in the Hell did we sign Batch to a 2 year deal?

steelblood
04-20-2010, 06:23 PM

8 weeks?

Normally, I'd agree, but there will be decent talent in the 7th this year. I believe a 7th this season could even be like a late 5th or early 6th rounder in other years.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-20-2010, 06:50 PM
Since they traded for Leftwich, and already signed Batch, and Dixon is the backup.....I think that means Ben must be outta here for real....

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/10110/1051992-100.stm

costanza2k1
04-20-2010, 07:05 PM
Since they traded for Leftwich, and already signed Batch, and Dixon is the backup.....I think that means Ben must be outta here for real....

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/10110/1051992-100.stm

Even though I think he's a scumbag, I don't want him to leave...this is a very scary thought...

NW Steeler
04-20-2010, 07:17 PM
I think Letwich returning has nothing to do with Ben being traded. He is NOT going to be traded. Come on people!

JAR
04-20-2010, 07:33 PM
Good move, if ben is suspended and Batch gets hurt like he always does, they are screwed.

Snatch98
04-20-2010, 07:40 PM
Great move and Ben isn't getting traded. Bringing in Leftwich for a 7th is nothing more than a calculated insurance move. Ben could miss 4 games. It could also be a 4 game suspension on a conditional basis, something I've now read at a few places. Either way Ben is likely getting suspended which leaves us with only Batch and Dixon. If you ask me Batch is nothing more than a assistant coach that knows the offense.

Rooney also pointed out in his one presser that Charlie is the type of Steeler the organization wants so they are looking for that steady hand to be a mentor and a friend to all the QB's. Dixon has the ability but I still don't think they are ready to throw him in there without a contingency plan. The contingency is Leftwich and for a 7th who can complain? Ben isn't getting traded and this was a great move. If anything I think it eliminates the trade talk because that means they sure as hell aren't drafting one.

Can we please move past the Big Ben trade talk? It's not happening.

fezziwig
04-20-2010, 07:45 PM
We need a new tackle dummy and Batch can't handle the contact any longer. Batch will be the odd man out if the Steelers are smart. The only way Batch stays is if he wants to stay and I don't think he does or the Steelers feel they need some person of good character , leadership , experience as the QB role model.

feltdizz
04-20-2010, 07:46 PM
Hmm.... not sure about this one. I like Lefty as a back up but starting 4 games?

Snatch98
04-20-2010, 07:50 PM
Hmm.... not sure about this one. I like Lefty as a back up but starting 4 games?

He and Dixon will slug it out and I think Ben gets served the conditional suspension. 4 games with counseling. If he's a good boy he'll get it knocked down to 2. It all makes even more sense if Charlie is considering retirement.

feltdizz
04-20-2010, 07:55 PM

He and Dixon will slug it out and I think Ben gets served the conditional suspension. 4 games with counseling. If he's a good boy he'll get it knocked down to 2. It all makes even more sense if Charlie is considering retirement.

I prefer Dixon because I think he has something special...

but if the Batch retirement rumors are true it's a great move.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-20-2010, 08:02 PM
While they are expecting to learn today what punishment quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will receive from National Football League commissioner Roger Goodell, the Steelers have received trade feelers from other teams and have not ruled out the possibility of dealing their two-time Super Bowl-winning quarterback, the Post-Gazette has learned.

Read more: http://www.postgazette.com/pg/10110/105 ... z0lgixLZeQ (http://www.postgazette.com/pg/10110/1051941-66.stm#ixzz0lgixLZeQ)

The Raiders or Rams are going to deal for him. Just got a feeling. The Raiders have fat boy Jamarcus Russell and Bruce Gradkowski who just tore his pectoral muscle benching this weekend. Russell showed up for OTA's weighing 290 pounds.

The Rams are on the verge of losing their franchise and if they take Bradford would sign him for about as much as they would have to pay Ben considering we already payed his bonuses and his yearly salary isn't insane. Why spend the top pick on a QB you have to groom for a few seasons when you could give up that pick plus next years first for a proven 2 time SB winner just entering his prime?

I bet the Steelers get 2 first rounders and some mid rounders thrown in for Ben.

Snatch98
04-20-2010, 08:10 PM
While they are expecting to learn today what punishment quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will receive from National Football League commissioner Roger Goodell, the Steelers have received trade feelers from other teams and have not ruled out the possibility of dealing their two-time Super Bowl-winning quarterback, the Post-Gazette has learned.

Read more: http://www.postgazette.com/pg/10110/105 ... z0lgixLZeQ (http://www.postgazette.com/pg/10110/1051941-66.stm#ixzz0lgixLZeQ)

The Raiders or Rams are going to deal for him. Just got a feeling. The Raiders have fat boy Jamarcus Russell and Bruce Gradkowski who just tore his pectoral muscle benching this weekend. Russell showed up for OTA's weighing 290 pounds.

The Rams are on the verge of losing their franchise and if they take Bradford would sign him for about as much as they would have to pay Ben considering we already payed his bonuses and his yearly salary isn't insane. Why spend the top pick on a QB you have to groom for a few seasons when you could give up that pick plus next years first for a proven 2 time SB winner just entering his prime?

I bet the Steelers get 2 first rounders and some mid rounders thrown in for Ben.

It better be more than that because he's worth more than 2 first round picks and a few random mid rounds. Call me a purist but with Ben being so tied to the Steelers recent Super Bowls I don't want anyone else starting for the Steelers until he retires or is play severely declines. I hope he doesn't get traded but I guess anything is possible if someone offers up something crazy.

phillyesq
04-20-2010, 08:16 PM
This is a very good move. If I recall, the Steelers got a 7th round comp pick for Leftwich, so essentially, they got him for moving back a few slots in the 7th round.

I'm not expecting Leftwich to play as well as he did when he relieved Ben a few years ago -- he played absolutely stellar, but I'm not going to fall for the trap of expecting a backup qb to be a pro bowler.

I think Leftwich likely gives the Steelers a better shot of winning than Dixon. When those two have to fill in, I'd like to see some plays for Dixon where he uses his legs (or at least the threat of the run).

JAR
04-20-2010, 08:42 PM

It better be more than that because he's worth more than 2 first round picks and a few random mid rounds. Call me a purist but with Ben being so tied to the Steelers recent Super Bowls I don't want anyone else starting for the Steelers until he retires or is play severely declines. I hope he doesn't get traded but I guess anything is possible if someone offers up something crazy.

Honestly, if the trade Ben, I'm going to have a hard time supporting the Rooney's and therefore the Steelers for awhile and I have been a diehard homer since I was a kid. A Ben trade would be one of the dumbest moves ever and would make me lose a lot of respect for the Rooneys. Character issues are nothing new for this organization, ie Ernie Holmes, Bam Morris so trading Ben would be a very hypocritical move. I bet all of these people screaming the Steelers are all about character and not winning would be the first ones dumping their tickets and or leaving their seat when the Steelers return to mediocrity for years to come.

Snatch98
04-20-2010, 09:02 PM

Honestly, if the trade Ben, I'm going to have a hard time supporting the Rooney's and therefore the Steelers for awhile and I have been a diehard homer since I was a kid. A Ben trade would be one of the dumbest moves ever and would make me lose a lot of respect for the Rooneys. Character issues are nothing new for this organization, ie Ernie Holmes, Bam Morris so trading Ben would be a very hypocritical move. I bet all of these people screaming the Steelers are all about character and not winning would be the first ones dumping their tickets and or leaving their seat when the Steelers return to mediocrity for years to come.

He won't get traded. I'm tried of reading about the "possibility" of the "impossible" and I too would have a hard time rooting for the Steelers if they bail on him because of a bunch of sh.it he still hasn't and likely never will be convicted for...it's getting old in a hurry. I'll also take the time to say again that he's worth more than a 1st this year and one next. The man is a winner and one that belongs on the Steelers. I don't believe the Rooney's are considered a trade because they know what he's worth to the franchise.

JAR
04-20-2010, 09:11 PM

He won't get traded. I'm tried of reading about the "possibility" of the "impossible" and I too would have a hard time rooting for the Steelers if they bail on him because of a bunch of sh.it he still hasn't and likely never will be convicted for...it's getting old in a hurry. I'll also take the time to say again that he's worth more than a 1st this year and one next. The man is a winner and one that belongs on the Steelers. I don't believe the Rooney's are considered a trade because they know what he's worth to the franchise.

I believe you are correct, the Rooney's aren't stupid and they know the fans aren't going to forgive a 6-10 team for 10 years because the players are all "boy scouts"

SteelCzar76
04-20-2010, 09:31 PM
I don't necessarily think that MOST of SteelerNation would be so overwhelmed with grief,..or give up on their lifelong franchise if we trade Roethlisberger.

I say this not because of my personal opinion or those of other lifelong Steeler Fans that i know whom do not reside in western PA. But in light of the "Should the Steelers trade Roethlisberger" poll on the Post Gazette website that currently says that 59% of the people whom voted are in favor of trading him.

http://www.postgazette.com/polls/Default.asp

BURGH86STEEL
04-20-2010, 09:37 PM

I believe you are correct, the Rooney's aren't stupid and they know the fans aren't going to forgive a 6-10 team for 10 years because the players are all "boy scouts"

I don't believe Ben will be traded. I do think it is a possibility. Ben is not bigger then the Steelers. Hard to believe that you feel the Steelers will be a 6-10 team for the next 10 years without Ben.

hawaiiansteel
04-20-2010, 09:44 PM
Santonio Holmes and a 7th round draft choice for Byron Leftwich and a 5th rounder...

how many Steelers fans would have made that trade a month ago? :wft

papillon
04-20-2010, 09:49 PM

Sam Bradford, #14, twice as nice as #7. :stirpot :stirpot :tt2

Pappy

SteelCzar76
04-20-2010, 09:50 PM
Or,..... the final poll results at the aforementioned Post Gazette site that says that 75% of voters stated that they WOULD NOT BE UPSET if we dealt Roethlisberger.

http://www.postgazette.com/polls/Default.asp?pollID=3593

I'm just saying,...i know that devout Roethlisbergerians worship the guy no matter what and place him above the franchise. But dude,...IMO they very well may be the minority.

papillon
04-20-2010, 09:51 PM
Why in the Hell did we sign Batch to a 2 year deal?

That was before the Ben-a-poolooza tour. :evil: :stirpot

Pappy

cruzer8
04-20-2010, 09:54 PM
I like the signing. Hopefully Rog will come to his senses and punish Ben by way of a fine, community service and counseling so Lefty can play the back up role he's so perfect for.

And agree that Ben will not be traded. Regardless of what the oh so scientific interwebz poll results are. And yeah, those folks who say they want him off the team would be dumping their tickets when the team goes in the crapper.

Shawn
04-20-2010, 09:56 PM
Come on guys...the Rooneys are not stupid. A franchise QB of Ben's caliber is worth at the very least 3 first round draft choices. And that is an attempt to place a value on something that is nearly priceless in the football world.

Let me tell you what is going on here. The Rooneys are very wise business men...shrewder than many give them credit for. They love the trade talks because it serves several purposes. One it scares the ish out of Ben and sends a message not only to Ben but the rest of the team. No one is above the Steelers. Second, it sends a message to the world and specifically to Steeler fans. It says, we are indeed above...we hold our organization to a higher level of accountability. It helps them save a bit of face. Also, you never know...what if the Raiders were willing to give us 2 years worth of draft picks...or a top tier player and a couple firsts. It's always nice to know the value of your players...not that they plan on acting.

Ben will be the Steeler QB for many years if he can keep his nose clean.

BURGH86STEEL
04-20-2010, 09:57 PM

The discussions have taken place inside the building if you believe what Rooney said. That's why fans speculate.

Hard to believe that you two will have a hard time rooting for the Steelers if they part ways with Ben. They have valid reasons if they decide to part ways with him. Ben will be traded if they feel he is not ready to get his act together off the field.

This situation goes beyond a conviction or guilty/not guilty. Ben will no longer be with the Steelers if he finds himself in this situation again. He may be suspended for a year if he is in this situation again. Maybe the next woman gets a conviction? This is the "situation" as it stands today. This is what goes beyond guilty/not guilty. What will be next if Ben makes another poor decision with an unknown woman?

The Steelers have a very tough decision to make. That is why it is important to determine if Ben is ready to make the necessary changes in his life. Better for them to get something of value for him now then nothing or very little for him later(if he is to stubborn to change). I am glad I don't have to make that decision.

cruzer8
04-20-2010, 10:00 PM
What will happen if he doesn't make a poor decision and some woman accuses him of something?

See, I don't know what kind of decision he made in GA (other than to go out with friends and bodyguards) because I wasn't there and I don't take the tabloid media headlines as absolute truth.

papillon
04-20-2010, 10:05 PM
What will happen if he doesn't make a poor decision and some woman accuses him of something?

See, I don't know what kind of decision he made in GA (other than to go out with friends and bodyguards) because I wasn't there and I don't take the tabloid media headlines as absolute truth.

Attempting to have sex in a public restroom with a drunk 20 year old girl doesn't seem like a bad decision to you? :shock:

Pappy

SS Laser
04-20-2010, 10:09 PM
First I am not one to want Ben traded. He is worth the gamble to stay a steeler. But it scares the hell out of me how he will handle the pressure of football + all the"rape" crap some steeler fans and rival fans will hound him with all season? Are you guys worried even just a little all this crap added up could really hurt Bens performance on the field? Then at that point his trade value drops a ton. Also I am worried he could become concussion prone like other QB's. I will say again that I might do a trade if it was blockbuster deal like no other. But I hope Ben stays and does very well! (SB #7 and #8 atleast LOL)

BURGH86STEEL
04-20-2010, 10:14 PM

I don't know what will happen. I guess you see the predicament that the Steelers are in. There is a history here now. Ben has to be extra careful. He made it that way.

Nevada chick may be a nut case. It is part of the history now. It is so obvious that some misconduct took place in GA. I don't believe that every thing that was said was made up. There may be two incidents of misconduct in GA. The problem is that perception is out there about Ben. Some people want to continue to make this a red or blue issue. It is not that simple.

BURGH86STEEL
04-20-2010, 10:24 PM
First I am not one to want Ben traded. He is worth the gamble to stay a steeler. But it scares the hell out of me how he will handle the pressure of football + all the"rape" crap some steeler fans and rival fans will hound him with all season? Are you guys worried even just a little all this crap added up could really hurt Bens performance on the field? Then at that point his trade value drops a ton. Also I am worried he could become concussion prone like other QB's. I will say again that I might do a trade if it was blockbuster deal like no other. But I hope Ben stays and does very well! (SB #7 and #8 atleast LOL)

They will make the best decision for the franchise whatever they decide. I am not sure he is worth the gamble. That is why it is important for the people that interact with him the most to be sure about him.

The whole team and fans will have to deal with the pressure of having Ben on the team. Teammates, Ben, and fans will be ridiculed.

It does not appear that Ben will have a long career with his style of play. It is not an easy decision to make. I believe Ben will be with the Steelers. Only time will tell.

cruzer8
04-20-2010, 11:07 PM

I don't know what will happen. I guess you see the predicament that the Steelers are in. There is a history here now. Ben has to be extra careful. He made it that way.

Nevada chick may be a nut case. It is part of the history now. It is so obvious that some misconduct took place in GA. I don't believe that every thing that was said was made up. There may be two incidents of misconduct in GA. The problem is that perception is out there about Ben. Some people want to continue to make this a red or blue issue. It is not that simple.

Were you there? I wasn't so I won't pretend to know what took place.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
04-20-2010, 11:47 PM
I'm pretty much in the minoriity on this board re: Leftwich, as I think I remember I have pretty much always been.

My main recollection of him is winding up and throwing like the point was to hit 120mph, not complete a pass. Even if the guy was 3 feet in front of him. It was scary to watch.

I must be wrong though, if his QB rating from that year was 100. But - what made him suck at Tampa? How can he be the Steeler's best option if he's getting cut by Tampa?

Chadman
04-20-2010, 11:52 PM
Hmmm.....Mr Pittsburgh mentions the Raiders...who are looking to deal Nmanda Asamougha...Steelers need CB.....Raiders 1st pick & Asamougha?

Here's the thing with Ben, for Chadman...

The level of 'trust' has eroded between the Steelers FO & Ben now- they don't know, for sure, how Ben will conduct himself outside of football, making it hard for the organisation to fully support him. Many of you are saying "what if we trade Ben and go 6-10 for 100 seasons". Well, here's guessing that Heinz Field is a sell-out to the hardcore Steeler fans who support the Steelers through success and failure.

How about a reverse question- what if the Steelers committ to Ben, trust him, build a team around him, and he gets himself arrested next off-season? The Rooney's would have mortgaged the roster to suit him, and he'd be gone for zero return. How would the fans take that?

This is the very real predicament the Steelers find themselves in. If Ben gets in trouble again, how much leeway does the NFL really give him?

It's very easy for Joe Fanbody to say that "Ben won't get himself in that position again" when it's not your $100+ million resting on it. If you were going to put your lifesavings on this gamble- how safe would you really feel? To the Rooney's, the Steelers are there life savings. This is about more than having a good QB- it's about how far are you willing to gamble the state of the franchise on a guy that hasn't proven he can be trusted?

Chadman is going to disagree about this never ending 6-10 oblivion facing the Steelers post Ben. If there is one team Chadman would bet on coming back quickly from that sort of adversity- it's Pittsburgh.

Chadman would not be too sad to see Ben move on and Byron given the keys for now.

sd steel
04-21-2010, 12:42 AM
Hmmm.....Mr Pittsburgh mentions the Raiders...who are looking to deal Nmanda Asamougha...Steelers need CB.....Raiders 1st pick & Asamougha?

The level of 'trust' has eroded between the Steelers FO & Ben now- they don't know, for sure, how Ben will conduct himself outside of football, making it hard for the organisation to fully support him. Many of you are saying "what if we trade Ben and go 6-10 for 100 seasons". Well, here's guessing that Heinz Field is a sell-out to the hardcore Steeler fans who support the Steelers through success and failure.

How about a reverse question- what if the Steelers committ to Ben, trust him, build a team around him, and he gets himself arrested next off-season? The Rooney's would have mortgaged the roster to suit him, and he'd be gone for zero return. How would the fans take that?

This is the very real predicament the Steelers find themselves in. If Ben gets in trouble again, how much leeway does the NFL really give him?

It's very easy for Joe Fanbody to say that "Ben won't get himself in that position again" when it's not your $100+ million resting on it. If you were going to put your lifesavings on this gamble- how safe would you really feel? To the Rooney's, the Steelers are there life savings. This is about more than having a good QB- it's about how far are you willing to gamble the state of the franchise on a guy that hasn't proven he can be trusted?

Chadman is going to disagree about this never ending 6-10 oblivion facing the Steelers post Ben. If there is one team Chadman would bet on coming back quickly from that sort of adversity- it's Pittsburgh.

Chadman would not be too sad to see Ben move on and Byron given the keys for now.
SD Steel agrees with Chadman. The Steelers will never be stuck in continuous 6-10 hell. We werent with Bubby or Kordell or the numerous other subpar QB's. We didn't even win Ben's first Super Bowl because of him. We have always relied heavily on defense and a running game. Hopefully we get back to that whether Ben is here or not. As for the guys saying you might have a harder time rooting for the Steelers if Ben is traded, well, you are the bandwagoners. Go root for Ben somewhere else. I'm a Steeler fan, and my allegiance stays with the black and gold no matter who is on the team, and no matter whether they are 14-2 champs or 6-10 out of the playoffs.

Shawn
04-21-2010, 03:27 AM

Not at all. Ben thrives under pressure.

cruzer8
04-21-2010, 07:42 AM

SD Steel agrees with Chadman. The Steelers will never be stuck in continuous 6-10 hell. We werent with Bubby or Kordell or the numerous other subpar QB's. We didn't even win Ben's first Super Bowl because of him. We have always relied heavily on defense and a running game. Hopefully we get back to that whether Ben is here or not. As for the guys saying you might have a harder time rooting for the Steelers if Ben is traded, well, you are the bandwagoners. Go root for Ben somewhere else. I'm a Steeler fan, and my allegiance stays with the black and gold no matter who is on the team, and no matter whether they are 14-2 champs or 6-10 out of the playoffs.

I'm going to disagree with Chadman. We went a lot of years between super bowls with no real QB. And the only one who got us to XXX couldn't win it for us.

And there's no way we even make it to XL without Ben. And no chance we win XLIII without him.

Dumping a franchise QB because of what he might do is foolish - at best.

Oviedo
04-21-2010, 07:46 AM
I don't necessarily think that MOST of SteelerNation would be so overwhelmed with grief,..or give up on their lifelong franchise if we trade Roethlisberger.

I say this not because of my personal opinion or those of other lifelong Steeler Fans that i know whom do not reside in western PA. But in light of the "Should the Steelers trade Roethlisberger" poll on the Post Gazette website that currently says that 59% of the people whom voted are in favor of trading him.

http://www.postgazette.com/polls/Default.asp

The majority voted for Obama too. Just proves there are alot of stupid people around. :stirpot

Oviedo
04-21-2010, 07:57 AM

I remember all the bums we had playing QB between Bradshaw and Big Ben. Twenty five years and no championships...that is not an accident. In the last 10 years (except for the Ravens) every Super Bowl has been won by a team with a top flight QB. In the last decade this league has evolved into a more QB centric league than ever and it is going to remain that way because the offense that a top flight QB produces sells tickets and therefore increases revenue. The days of running your way to a championship are ancient history.

If the Rooney's do their risk and reward analysis and determine Ben must go then so be it but we will not be the team we have been since 2005 and we will not be a legit contender for a championship until we get another Manning, Brady, Brees or Ben. Just look at the Cowboys. Romo is a very good QB but he can't win championships. The QBs that can do that are 10-15% of the starters in thius league and Ben is one. If Ben leaves just prepare yourselves for many years of "almosts."

Personally, I would give Ben a chance at redemption. I'm betting this opens up his eyes that he is a great QB but a lacking human being. Hopefully with the help of the Rooney's, the team, family, etc. he is puttting the support system in place that does not enable his bad behaviour in the future.

papillon
04-21-2010, 08:14 AM
Just to check in on the trade Ben situation. I would be disappointed if the Steelers moved on without giving Ben the opportunity to redeem himself outside the football world. The team is already built around Ben, so giving him the chance and him failing next off season doesn't put the Steelers in any more or less of predicament than they are already in.

Ben gets his last chance to change his behavior and become the player and face of the franchise that the Steelers were hoping for when they drafted him.

Pappy

steelblood
04-21-2010, 08:24 AM
Just to check in on the trade Ben situation. I would be disappointed if the Steelers moved on without giving Ben the opportunity to redeem himself outside the football world. The team is already built around Ben, so giving him the chance and him failing next off season doesn't put the Steelers in any more or less of predicament than they are already in.

Ben gets his last chance to change his behavior and become the player and face of the franchise that the Steelers were hoping for when they drafted him.

Pappy

I feel that the team is not "built around Ben." We just traded our best WR. Our offensive line is average at best. A more accurate statement may be that this team needs Ben to cover up their faults and give them a chance to be great.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-21-2010, 08:47 AM

Attempting to have sex in a public restroom with a drunk 20 year old girl doesn't seem like a bad decision to you? :shock:

Pappy
I would say that statement has teeth. So what would this statement say?

Attempting to have sex in a public restroom with an intoxicated underage 20 year old girl, twice the legal limit, that you supplied the alcohol to doesn't seem like a bad decision to you?

Why you always "sugar coating" things Pap? :wink:

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-21-2010, 08:59 AM
I'm happy the Steelers will give him A chance to rebuild his good name and live up to the expectations the Steelers had for him. Hopefully in doing that, the Steeler's good name is left untarnished. It means as a fan...A possible Superbowl is still in the immediate future.

That being said...How many of you that are 110% against any trade no matter what is offered would be outraged if another incident happens with a timeline after his suspension and the Steelers outright release him? Just sayin...Cause that is what will happen. Giving you a FO perspective.

Don't hate the player...Hate the game! Ben isn't the "player"...The Steelers organization is the player.

Oviedo
04-21-2010, 09:06 AM

Pappy

I feel that the team is not "built around Ben." We just traded our best WR. Our offensive line is average at best. A more accurate statement may be that this team needs Ben to cover up their faults and give them a chance to be great.

I could not DISAGREE with you more. This has evolved into a QB centric league. No Ben and we don't compete for championships. All successful NFL teams are built around a top flight QB.

Oviedo
04-21-2010, 09:11 AM
I'm happy the Steelers will give him A chance to rebuild his good name and live up to the expectations the Steelers had for him. Hopefully in doing that, the Steeler's good name is left untarnished. It means as a fan...A possible Superbowl is still in the immediate future.

That being said...How many of you that are 110% against any trade no matter what is offered would be outraged if another incident happens with a timeline after his suspension and the Steelers outright release him? Just sayin...Cause that is what will happen. Giving you a FO perspective.

Don't hate the player...Hate the game! Ben isn't the "player"...The Steelers organization is the player.

I am 110% against trading Ben because less than 50% of the QBs drafted are ever successful (heard that stat on Mike and Mike this morning). Trade ben and we go from being a serious contender for the Super Bowl to an also ran.

I want Ben to have a chance to prove he can be a better human being while still being our QB. I am betting he got the message.

flippy
04-21-2010, 09:17 AM
Al Davis should just give us his next 5 #1s since the Raiders can't pick anyone in the first round. It'd be a win/win and the Raiders would probably be the AFC fav for the SuperBowl.

Or the Rams should give us a bunch of 1s. And we can draft Suh and Thomas this year and build out a sick defense. And see what Dixon can do.

And maybe bring back Cowher so we can dominate without a QB. Our fate may be AFCC games, but those years were good. I had hope every season back then.

BURGH86STEEL
04-21-2010, 09:55 AM

No, I was not there. I am not naive either. Neither are the people that Ben works for. There is a reason corrective action will be taken. As I stated, the perception is the problem. The fact that Ben continues put himself in questionable situations is another problem. Ben has a problem. The exact cause(alcohol, stubbornness, immaturity, ect) of that problem is only known to the people in the organization and league.

If Ben is around I am ok with that. If they trade him I am good with that. It will not ruin my enjoyment of the sport. The Steelers are much bigger then any one player.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-21-2010, 09:55 AM

I am 110% against trading Ben because less than 50% of the QBs drafted are ever successful (heard that stat on Mike and Mike this morning). Trade ben and we go from being a serious contender for the Super Bowl to an also ran.

I want Ben to have a chance to prove he can be a better human being while still being our QB. I am betting he got the message.

Was that 50% 1st round QBs? If you are looking at every position & every round that really isn't a bad number. Even if you consider 1st round...There are many busts in the 1st at all positions. If you consider the Steelers 1st round QBs over the last 40 years...I say they were successful. Bradshaw, Malone, & Roethlisberger.

I said I was happy they will give him one shot being that he is my favorite Steeler. However, I'm a Steeler fan first so if they trade him I support the Steelers decision. I'm glad you said , "I am betting he got the message" because that is a large part of the Trade talk heartbeat. The message should have been received after the first incident last year. Everyone one needs to understand that the Steeler franchise knows what Ben does outside of football. Consider the first "near miss" in the hotel, his life style after that event, the in season trip to Wikes Barre for the WWE event after he was advised not to, and the latest incident with the hundreds of pages of accounts and information on other events...Where is the evidence he will ever get the message? That is on one side of the scale and the other is a franchise QB who you have a large investment in. Yes, a franchise QB doesn't come along often. But if you have been a Steelers fan for a long time you know the Steelers don't sacrifice their prestige for winning. So if they do trade him, I would understand why. I would also understand why they would give him a chance. Neither decision will have any impact on how I feel about the Steelers. It will only impact the confidence I have in the team as a contender until I see how they play without him.

Steel Life
04-21-2010, 10:05 AM

Agreed O...we get sold a bill of goods every time this year that the draft is full of Pro Bowlers & HOFers. The fact is that it's a crapshoot & teams can go a decade without finding a true "franchise" QB. I really like Dixon long-term, but I think we're a playoff team with him & a championship team with Ben.

Also, doesn't it seem as though Mike Greenberg is driving this whole Ben "thing"? He doesn't come right out on it, but he clearly is only interested driving the negative. He never mentions the fans in support of Ben, he never says that Ben wasn't charged...he just continues as though he was.

frankthetank1
04-21-2010, 10:45 AM
this is a great move!! a 7th round pick is crap. im very glad to have lefty back. he knows the offense and has a huge arm. its a very smart move

feltdizz
04-21-2010, 11:16 AM
WR's better get some thick gloves....

How will this effect Sweeds development? He seemed to catch the hard passes and drop the floaters...

cruzer8
04-21-2010, 11:22 AM

No, I was not there. I am not naive either. Neither are the people that Ben works for. There is a reason corrective action will be taken. As I stated, the perception is the problem. The fact that Ben continues put himself in questionable situations is another problem. Ben has a problem. The exact cause(alcohol, stubbornness, immaturity, ect) of that problem is only known to the people in the organization and league.

If Ben is around I am ok with that. If they trade him I am good with that. It will not ruin my enjoyment of the sport. The Steelers are much bigger then any one player.

Pure speculation.

Slapstick
04-21-2010, 12:35 PM
Yeah, except it isn't pure speculation.

You can say that whether or not Ben actually sexually assaulted anybody is pure speculation...I'll give you that...

But, you cannot deny that Ben Roethlisberger has demonstrated a pattern of behavior that is at worst criminal (pure speculation) and at best stupid and embarrasing for both the Steelers and the league...

Now, I don't even believe that Ben assaulted anyone...I don't believe that Ben did anything criminal...I don't believe that Ben should be a target for money seeking individuals...

But, there is no doubt that he has made abysmally poor choices...if Ben is traded, only Ben can be blamed...

BURGH86STEEL
04-21-2010, 12:48 PM

Pure speculation.

I will give you that most of what we do around her is pure speculation. I don't think it is to far fetched to speculate that Ben has a problem. I hope he can fix his problem before it's to late.

The accusations and coming suspension back up my statement that Ben put himself into questionable situations.

BURGH86STEEL
04-21-2010, 12:50 PM
Yeah, except it isn't pure speculation.

You can say that whether or not Ben actually sexually assaulted anybody is pure speculation...I'll give you that...

But, you cannot deny that Ben Roethlisberger has demonstrated a pattern of behavior that is at worst criminal (pure speculation) and at best stupid and embarrasing for both the Steelers and the league...

Now, I don't even believe that Ben assaulted anyone...I don't believe that Ben did anything criminal...I don't believe that Ben should be a target for money seeking individuals...

But, there is no doubt that he has made abysmally poor choices...if Ben is traded, only Ben can be blamed...

Isn't it so strange that some fans direct all their anger/frustration at the league and organization when the buck stopped with Ben?

fezziwig
04-21-2010, 09:40 PM
Your right, Ben did this all on his own and he can only blame himself. I wonder if Ben is as obnoxious as people claim that, he won't learn from his mistakes?

feltdizz
04-21-2010, 11:27 PM
Your right, Ben did this all on his own and he can only blame himself. I wonder if Ben is as obnoxious as people claim that, he won't learn from his mistakes?

I wouldn't be surprised given all the success in such a short amount of time.

After Tahoe and all the backlash last off season he goes and has sex in a college bathroom with a 20 year old... Our FO is beyond pissed.

cruzer8
04-21-2010, 11:31 PM

After Tahoe and all the backlash last off season he goes and has sex in a college bathroom with a 20 year old... Our FO is beyond pissed.

Were you the janitor who cleaned the bathroom?

feltdizz
04-21-2010, 11:44 PM

MSM... Oops I mean cruzer8

whether sex, paddie cake or whatever Ben was "framed" for he isn't fighting the suspension...

If you want to spend the next 5 years correcting the sex in the bathroom statement have at it but you are missing out on some good conversation/speculation. LOL.

SteelCzar76
04-22-2010, 12:57 AM

Pappy

That's the point that all of Roethlisberger's followers don't seem to get. There is no way any grown azz man can justify the sh#t that he pulled.

And you will say,...who am i to say that some offenses are more dishonorable than others ?

But i personally stand firm to a Code that says that a Man does not force himself upon ANY Woman, you don't harm children in any way, you do not steal and you do not murder. (Even in times of War)

Is Roethlisberger beneath redemption ?,...no. Heaven decrees that none of us are,....but he must EARN it like many others before him in my eyes. (Even though his particular failing is one that i personally find despicable.)

The bottom line to me is,....if the organization is attempting to stand by their respective code, Roethlisberger should not be above as much. Any more than anyone else if it is indeed a Code.

Otherwise,... it's just bullsh#t that says, "Hey we FEEL as though we have no else to replace him so we will ACT as though we have a grievance for the sake of dignity without really having any at all."

And to Cru and Oviedo,....your wasting your respective passive aggressive breath.
As O,...i respect your intellect, but dude,...on realz,... you are more than lightweight "SEN SO TIVE" to be a man. :lol:

And Cru,...you give the impression of being an "up north good ole boy" whom just loves Roethlisberger a great deal in the face of any odds because you relate to him on a personal level. (Though admittedly in your defense,..i have not ever attempted to evaluate you via your writing style up until this point)

birtikidis
04-22-2010, 01:16 AM
steelczar, my question is... and frankly I'm back and forth on this, but my question is, have you proof that they had sex? maybe he wanted to.. maybe they started messing around... maybe maybe maybe.
you keep talking about the bible and god. well judge not, lest you be judged yourself.

until you can show proof, he is formally charged, or Ben himself says that he did something other than have bad judgement, I have to assume that he's innocent of any crime. I'm a firm believer in "innocent until proven guilty" and I think that is what makes the US such a great country.

Shawn
04-22-2010, 01:56 AM
steelczar, my question is... and frankly I'm back and forth on this, but my question is, have you proof that they had sex? maybe he wanted to.. maybe they started messing around... maybe maybe maybe.
you keep talking about the bible and god. well judge not, lest you be judged yourself.

until you can show proof, he is formally charged, or Ben himself says that he did something other than have bad judgement, I have to assume that he's innocent of any crime. I'm a firm believer in "innocent until proven guilty" and I think that is what makes the US such a great country.

Ben certainly showed poor judgement but to say the man raped someone without a shred of evidence is very Mid East. Maybe, we should publically flog him and cut off his pecker while we are at it. Czar that post was beyond absurd and frankly it dripped of self indulgence.

NW Steeler
04-22-2010, 02:16 AM

Ben certainly showed poor judgement but to say the man raped someone without a shred of evidence is very Mid East. Maybe, we should publically flog him and cut off his pecker while we are at it. Czar that post was beyond absurd and frankly it dripped of self indulgence.

And that is different than most of his posts? I'm surprised that he is that critical of Ben, seeing as he saves most of his criticism for players drafted under Tomlin.

cruzer8
04-22-2010, 10:52 AM

MSM... Oops I mean cruzer8

whether sex, paddie cake or whatever Ben was "framed" for he isn't fighting the suspension...

If you want to spend the next 5 years correcting the sex in the bathroom statement have at it but you are missing out on some good conversation/speculation. LOL.

They only needed one billionth of a gram to form a DNA profile. Wrap your tiny mind around that.

Czar is just another person who wasn't there but buys into what appeared in the headlines.

fezziwig
04-22-2010, 05:29 PM
Just because there wasn't enough evidence doesn't mean no crime was committed. Common sense tells you Ben was up to something in the ways of swapping junk with that young girl. The thing I believe most are ticked about is this.

Millionaire NFL star 28 years of age hitting on girls eight years younger than him in a bathroom, needing to get them drunk first at a college bar. Talk about stealing candy from a baby is what it is all about. Having bodyguards doing the work more nearer of henchmen.

A guy that has been on the biggest stage of entertainment, sports, media and won twice but yet, he's out punking around like some drunken college clown that can't get the booty without taking advantage of some young drunk chick.

There was nothing honorable within anything Ben has done. He can't even pick an older chick that has enough class or soundness of mind not to turn it into a media splash.

Bens stupid and that's about it. He was also stupid when he said Steeler fans annoy him and that was long before he started getting in trouble with the law. A mature guy on the field and immature off the field.
If he can wise up I, would still love to have him on our team.