PDA

View Full Version : Bouchette says no to Thomas, and not to reach for Pouncey..

NW Steeler
04-20-2010, 04:59 PM
Via his chat for today

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10110/1051942-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml

I'm a little surprised on his thoughts regarding Thomas.

PSU_dropout43
04-20-2010, 05:16 PM
buyer beware of skill queers from the Big 12!

hawaiiansteel
04-20-2010, 05:22 PM
Via his chat for today

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10110/1051942-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml

I'm a little surprised on his thoughts regarding Thomas.

Earl Thomas himself said he thinks he is a better CB than safety and that he enjoys playing CB better. Ed Douchette is looking at Earl Thomas a a safety only, whereas Thomas should be viewed as a play-making CB/S that offers position flexibility.

If Earl Thomas is there at #18, the Steelers will select him.

I do agree with Ed that OT is our other biggest need after CB, we have very little depth (Tony Hills sucks) behind our starting OTs. I wouldn't trade up for Anthony Davis though, I would rather draft OT Jared Veldheer in the 2nd round. Veldheer placed in the Top-10 of all OL in all six categories that were tested at the Scouting Combine, this is the type of athletic marvel that can develop under the tutelage of our new OL Coach Sean Kugler for a year or two behind Max Starks and Willie Colon and then become a starter.

phillyesq
04-20-2010, 05:24 PM
I took his comments as saying no way Thomas or Berry would be available at 18, not that the Steelers wouldn't take them.

WoodleyofTroy
04-20-2010, 05:38 PM
He also says he would trade up for Anthony Davis. Trade up.

Chadman
04-20-2010, 05:44 PM
Oooh! Oooh! Chadman's final mock just got a heart starter from Ed- Kareem Jackson was the 'sneaky' name he mentioned over Wilson...

Here's the bet- Steelers will hope to trade down, but failing that, will select Jackson at #18.

steelblood
04-20-2010, 05:51 PM
If the Steelers take Kareem Jackson at 18, I'll be very disappointed.

NW Steeler
04-20-2010, 06:08 PM
I took his comments as saying no way Thomas or Berry would be available at 18, not that the Steelers wouldn't take them.

No, he said slim and none to the chances of them drafting a safety:

texas_steel: Whats the chances of drafting a safety with the first overall pick..What if Berry or Thomas was there at 18?

Ed Bouchette: I would say slim and none

Lebsteel
04-20-2010, 06:24 PM
I guess Ed missed on the QB issue since it looks like we are signing Leftwich:

Ed Bouchette: To do, what? If they were going to look at Bulger, I don't think they would have re-signed Batch. They knew the Rams were going to release Bulger and yet still re-signed Batch. I think they have their 3 QBs, will pick up another young arm somewhere for camp and if Ben gets suspended, go with that.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10110/10 ... z0lgL75ba4 (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10110/1051942-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz0lgL75ba4)

Very interesting...Ben's punishment is being released before the draft and we sign Leftwich. Hmmm....Do you think we have a trade partner? Seriously...before you all explode, I hope we don't trade Ben, unless, of course, he told Tomlin to shove his zero tolerance thingy.... :lol:

NW Steeler
04-20-2010, 06:28 PM
Good catch. So maybe he is just full of sh!t like the rest of us!

Lebsteel
04-20-2010, 06:30 PM
Good catch. So maybe he is just full of sh!t like the rest of us!
Yep!!

Oviedo
04-20-2010, 09:03 PM
He is right on about Pouncey being a reach at #18. Just say no to Pouncey.

hawaiiansteel
04-20-2010, 09:53 PM
He is right on about Pouncey being a reach at #18. Just say no to Pouncey.

did you read where Urbik is now practicing at center? that means we now have Hartwig, Legursky and Urbik there and Legursky and Urbik can also play G.

unless the Steelers are planning on cutting one of these three this camp, i doubt we draft Pouncey.

pfelix73
04-20-2010, 10:37 PM
Bingo- I've only been saying this for weeks now- its a numbers game. If there is any position they draft along the OL it'll be Tackle.
:tt1

buckeyehoppy
04-20-2010, 11:25 PM
We'd be better off drafting a reach in the first than taking Thomas. No disrespect, but I don't want the Steelers to ever entertain the notion of a RS Soph. being a 1st Round capable pick. The guy will prove to be too green and it will affect the way he adjusts to the NFL. RS Sophs. are too big a risk in general to warrant the very first pick in the draft for any team.

I don't just want potential outta my 1st pick. I want proven talent who can at least give me some quality minutes throughout the season. RS Sophs. are a gamble, at best, in that category.

I'm sure the Steelers will have many more viable options at 1.18 than taking pure potential. At this point, that's all Thomas is really offering.

RuthlessBurgher
04-21-2010, 12:17 AM
We'd be better off drafting a reach in the first than taking Thomas. No disrespect, but I don't want the Steelers to ever entertain the notion of a RS Soph. being a 1st Round capable pick. The guy will prove to be too green and it will affect the way he adjusts to the NFL. RS Sophs. are too big a risk in general to warrant the very first pick in the draft for any team.

I don't just want potential outta my 1st pick. I want proven talent who can at least give me some quality minutes throughout the season. RS Sophs. are a gamble, at best, in that category.

I'm sure the Steelers will have many more viable options at 1.18 than taking pure potential. At this point, that's all Thomas is really offering.

In those 2 college seasons, he was able to intercept 10 passes (8 of which were during this past season). He has shown the ability to make plays (not just the potential to make plays) and we are sorely in need of a playmaker in our secondary, since we have a grand total of one of those (and our defense suffered tremendously when he was hurt). The Colbert-Tomlin team has a tendency to take younger-than-average prospects in the first round (Timmons and Mendenhall were both 20 when they were drafted, just like Thomas) so if Earl is available at #18, I see no reason why he wouldn't be our guy.