PDA

View Full Version : Do the Steelers know what they are doing?

aggiebones
04-20-2010, 01:34 PM
I just read that McFadden has been a disappointment in Arizona.
Then I read that Fanaca has already warn out his welcome with the Jets.
Both of these men brought down alot of ire towards the front office when they left.
Now, we see Holmes out in what looks like a knee jerk reaction (but in reality was a shrewd move designed to get something out of a departing problem)

So what were the best moves like this, the worst?

My Dad is still mad about Vrabel leaving (though at the time we had no place for him to start) Woodson seemed bad, but it was a gamble that we lost. He did end up moving to FS like the Steelers begged him to do.

I think the Holmes dump may be a great move. In the end, alot of his yac came because of Ben's roaming ability in the pocket. We'll see how much he helps the Jets. I think he's got a short shelf life i the NFL. Undisciplined player that will lose some speed after first mild injury and likely won't recover well. By the time, Sanchez develops to an acceptable NFL QB, Holmes will be gone.

Who would have ever thought O'Donnell would have fallen THAT hard after he left.

BlackJackGold
04-20-2010, 01:37 PM
I remember regretting the loss of Thigpen.

Well, until he didn't really ever play after he signed with Tenn.

ghettoscott
04-20-2010, 01:48 PM
i was upset when we lost Plexiglass..... :?

Oviedo
04-20-2010, 01:56 PM
The organization knows exactly what they are doing and they get it right 95% of the time. The "wish we were experts" on message boards would have you believe they get it wrong 95% of the time.

The organization knows when to get rid of players because they put the uniform above the person in the uniform.

aggiebones
04-20-2010, 02:01 PM
Oh yea, I remember being sooo excited when they let Burress go. His lack of hands angered me more than anything.

SteelAbility
04-20-2010, 02:04 PM
Absolutely. Next question.

JTP53609
04-20-2010, 02:41 PM
I was really excited when we signed farrior in 02, I remember alot of people were upset that we lost holmes at ILB but we wasted no time in getting a GREAT replacment....jeff hartings too, loved that signing, he was a penn state boy who knew how to play....

My all time favorite signing was a center by the name of Sean Mahan :roll:

the free agent that I remember being really upset about was yancey to the tits...turned out to be nothing of a big deal after all..

SanAntonioSteelerFan
04-20-2010, 03:00 PM
I wasn't happy that we lost ARE.

But considering how much less he did at the Redskins, it seems clear to me that:

a) Many times we bring out the best in players (see the posts above), and
b) The F.O. seems to have a pretty good sense of what they're doing!

I think if Snyder wanted to spend his money wisely, he'd try to buy our F.O., rather than all these Marquis Players!

RussBII
04-20-2010, 03:06 PM
I don't remember how we lost Woodson, but man I hated losing him. And then he played at a high level for another 7 or 8 years?

Breaks my heart he has a ring with the Ravens...

MeetJoeGreene
04-20-2010, 03:24 PM
There have been few players that have done well after leaving:

Searcy, Rod, Chad Brown, and Vrabel are the ones that I can think of.

ikestops85
04-20-2010, 03:25 PM

I would have to put J Peezy in that category.

RuthlessBurgher
04-20-2010, 03:26 PM

Hardy Nickerson. Len Dawson. Johnny Unitas.

ikestops85
04-20-2010, 03:28 PM

and who are these Dawson and Unitas guys?? :moon

Discipline of Steel
04-20-2010, 06:14 PM

I actually remember being mad about Leon Searcy. That was back in the days when the Jags were beating us at every turn and they were my most hated rival team! The Searcy move only aded to that.

steelblood
04-20-2010, 06:19 PM
And we just signed Batch to a two year contract.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-21-2010, 08:54 AM
I remember regretting the loss of Thigpen.

Well, until he didn't really ever play after he signed with Tenn.

I agree BJG, but he was injured all the time with Tenn. That loss effected Kordell more than anyone else. Thigpen used to haul in some amazing catches with KS throwing to him. Without him bailing Stewart out, the lack of accuracy was really magnified.

MeetJoeGreene
04-21-2010, 09:53 AM

I forgot about Nickerson. Good call.

Unitas and Dawson. too funny.

frankthetank1
04-21-2010, 10:54 AM
i always thought charles johnson was much better when he left the burgh than when he was a steeler. that always pissed me off since he was such a high draft pick. it was also dissapointing to see merril hodge as a bear.

the steelers almost always get it right as far as re-signing and letting players leave. FA is one of the most aggrivating part of sports for me. its amazing how good the steelers are in this area.

even i thought woodson was pretty much done at the end of his steeler career. there was no way the steelers could of kept him. he wanted big money and when no team offered it to him he signed with san fran for pretty much the same money the steelers offered him. i assume it was his pride that got in the way of staying a steeler