PDA

View Full Version : Jets to Trade or Cut Alan Faneca

BigRob
04-20-2010, 12:15 PM
"Speaking of the Jets, they are actively shopping guard Alan Faneca, defensive end Shaun Ellis and linebacker Bryan Thomas and will probably waive these players after the draft. You might be surprised to read Faneca’s name, but he’s the first to go after the draft."

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/DMN ... edule.html (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/DMN-Our-first-look-at-the-NFL-schedule.html)

Haha, he is still probably better than most of our OL. Is there another reunion in the works?

RuthlessBurgher
04-20-2010, 12:22 PM
So you are telling me that it was not a good idea to sign a guy with 10 seasons of experience as an NFL starter under his belt to a 5 year contract worth $40 million with $21 million guaranteed?

http://image.spreadshirt.com/image-server/image/composition/4166500/view/1/producttypecolor/26/type/png/width/280/height/280

:lol:

Slapstick
04-20-2010, 12:28 PM
I almost think that some teams thought of this uncapped year as a "freebie" year, when they could dump overpaid players without damaging their salary cap...

Then, they will vote to reinstate the cap next year and start spending with the proverbial clean slate...

ikestops85
04-20-2010, 12:31 PM
It looks like the Jets have also re-worked Holmes contract and converted the majority of his base salary to bonuses this year so that his 4 game suspension wouldn't hurt him as bad.

I wonder what Goodell thinks about that?

SteelBucks
04-20-2010, 12:44 PM
I'd trade the 5th round pick back to the Jets for Faneca. :D

JTP53609
04-20-2010, 12:47 PM
I understand that cutting veteran players with big contracts is becoming the norm, but I am shocked over the alan faneca potential cutting, I would love to take him back, but there is no way he comes back to the place that jerked him around

SteelerNation1
04-20-2010, 12:58 PM
Screw him. He made his big, green bed, and now he can sleep in it!

NW Steeler
04-20-2010, 01:00 PM
I understand that cutting veteran players with big contracts is becoming the norm, but I am shocked over the alan faneca potential cutting, I would love to take him back, but there is no way he comes back to the place that jerked him around

How is it that the Steelers jerked him around?

Oviedo
04-20-2010, 01:05 PM

The only "jerk" was "Crybaby" Faneca because his motorcycle riding fat boy buddy didn't get selected to be the coach. Faneca paved his own road out of town. The Jets now realize they gave him a ridiculous contract he couldn't perform up to especially with a young QB. Don't want a mediocre pass blocker protecting your potential franchise asset.

Jom112
04-20-2010, 01:08 PM
He's a liability in pass protection but I remember him pulling and absolutely destroying Keith Rivers last season in the games against us.

The guy can still open up running lanes with the best of them...

AkronSteel
04-20-2010, 01:09 PM
:Clap

Sometimes people get what they deserve!!!

RuthlessBurgher
04-20-2010, 01:09 PM
http://www.netstate.com/states/links/images/az_magnet_all.jpg

:lol:

SteelerNation1
04-20-2010, 01:20 PM
He's a liability in pass protection but I remember him pulling and absolutely destroying Keith Rivers last season in the games against us.

Jom,It wasn't Faneca but I think it was Hines Ward who destroyed Rivers IIRC. :lol: :lol: :lol: :stirpot

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/200810/20081020pd_steelers1019i_500.jpg

Ghost
04-20-2010, 01:24 PM
Never understood the hatred for Faneca. He was just looking for what the market was offering at the time - and at the time there were guys with 50% of his pedigree getting huge contracts. Why wouldn't he ask for one for himself?

SteelerNation1
04-20-2010, 01:27 PM
Never understood the hatred for Faneca. He was just looking for what the market was offering at the time - and at the time there were guys with 50% of his pedigree getting huge contracts. Why wouldn't he ask for one for himself?
Loved Faneca 1998-2006. He whined like a girl in 2007 cuz his buddy didn't get the HC job. I lost all respect for him when he gave up his captaincy (is that even a word?).

Lebsteel
04-20-2010, 01:32 PM

Doesn't everybody destroy Rivers? :stirpot

Oviedo
04-20-2010, 01:33 PM
Loved Faneca 1998-2006. He whined like a girl in 2007 cuz his buddy didn't get the HC job. I lost all respect for him when he gave up his captaincy (is that even a word?).

:Agree :Agree :Agree

JTP53609
04-20-2010, 02:34 PM

How is it that the Steelers jerked him around?

maybe jerked around was the wrong term, but the contract games, I think the Steelers should of rewarded him in 05 with a new contract instead of all the tender offers every year...

RuthlessBurgher
04-20-2010, 03:00 PM

They say it all the time in hockey, but I'm not sure if they are saying "captaincy" (as you suggest) or "captain's C" (referring to the "C" the captain wears on his sweater) since both would be pronouced the same way.

Jom112
04-20-2010, 03:08 PM
Jom,It wasn't Faneca but I think it was Hines Ward who destroyed Rivers IIRC. :lol: :lol: :lol: :stirpot

Doesn't everybody destroy Rivers? :stirpot

Funny, I walked right into those jokes.

He's been average thus far, but I have a feeling he's going to blow up this season. Zimmer has been on him to improve and he's been MMA training with Cushing and Glazer this offseason. A little more toughening and I think he'll finally be the guy we were hoping for at #9 overall...

MeetJoeGreene
04-20-2010, 03:21 PM
I'd trade the 5th round pick back to the Jets for Faneca. :D

I would rather sign him back to a reasonable 1 or 2 year contract after he is waived than absorb his current deal.

steelsnis
04-20-2010, 04:15 PM
motorcycle riding fat boy buddy

I didn't realize Faneca was so close with Ben??? :lol: I keed, I keed...

phillyesq
04-20-2010, 05:15 PM
Since this has been the offseason of reunions, I'd be fine with Faneca coming back. Time can heal a lot of wounds.

I'd rather have this line:

Starks - Faneca - Hartwig - Kemo - Colon

than this one:

Starks - Kemo - Hartwig - Essex - Colon

Essex goes back to being the swing lineman on gameday. Urbik gets another year to develop, perhaps even a few starts at RG if Kemo gets banged up again this year.

I won't be crushed if Faneca isn't signed. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he ends up in AZ with Whiz. But I'd also welcome him back.

BlackJackGold
04-20-2010, 05:18 PM
As long as Hartwig is in the center that line will stink.

BURGH86STEEL
04-20-2010, 05:38 PM
I don't believe Faneca comes back to Pittsburgh.

Chadman
04-20-2010, 06:10 PM

They say it all the time in hockey, but I'm not sure if they are saying "captaincy" (as you suggest) or "captain's C" (referring to the "C" the captain wears on his sweater) since both would be pronouced the same way.

You guys aren't serious, are you? :shock:

SteelCrazy
04-20-2010, 06:18 PM

I'm with this dude.....he cried rivers like I had not seen before. I was disappointed when he started all of his crap. Actually, I was glad when he was gone.

fezziwig
04-20-2010, 07:59 PM
I doubt Faneca comes back or the Steelers even want him. He declined in my opinion his last couple of years but then again, maybe it was due to his none supporting cast ?

buckeyehoppy
04-20-2010, 11:48 PM

A-freaking-MEN!!!

Oviedo
04-21-2010, 08:10 AM

A-freaking-MEN!!!

:Agree He was classless his last season here. He got his money now just fade away into obscurity.

Oviedo
04-21-2010, 10:51 AM
Per ESPN Faneca rated as worst LG in football

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/ ... id=5037654 (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/news/story?id=5037654)

phillyesq
04-21-2010, 10:59 AM
Per ESPN Faneca rated as worst LG in football

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/ ... id=5037654 (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/news/story?id=5037654)

Rated worst in terms of bad blocks in passing situations. Still described as an above-average run blocker.

Shoe
04-21-2010, 01:08 PM

Haha... all you guys saying he gets what he deserved, he has to lie in the bed he made... he didn't commit no crime. I would LOVE to live with the repurcussions of having signed a $20 million dollar contract.

I wonder how he sleeps at night.

AngryAsian
04-21-2010, 01:13 PM

Haha... all you guys saying he gets what he deserved, he has to lie in the bed he made... he didn't commit no crime. I would LOVE to live with the repurcussions of having signed a $20 million dollar contract.

Agreed... football is a business and he made a business decision. A lot of Steeler fans perceived him as a malcontent because of all the whining he did prior to his departure. I'm sure he'll be picked up by some other team, while he secures his family's financial future. An NFL player's shelf life of productivity is considered good if he lasts more than 10 years (though OL work seems to have more longevity). I'm sure Alan sleeps quite well at night.

JTP53609
04-21-2010, 03:01 PM

Agreed... football is a business and he made a business decision. A lot of Steeler fans perceived him as a malcontent because of all the whining he did prior to his departure. I'm sure he'll be picked up by some other team, while he secures his family's financial future. An NFL player's shelf life of productivity is considered good if he lasts more than 10 years (though OL work seems to have more longevity). I'm sure Alan sleeps quite well at night.

agreed. not to mention he gave us 10 great years and really never got that big contract he deserved, so he took it with the jets, can you blame him, I just dont understand..

RuthlessBurgher
04-21-2010, 08:12 PM

agreed. not to mention he gave us 10 great years and really never got that big contract he deserved, so he took it with the jets, can you blame him, I just dont understand..

In 2002, when he was in his prime, we signed him to a six-year extension worth $25.55 million, which at that time, was the highest contract ever paid to a guard in NFL history. He got ticked off near the end of that contract when he saw lesser players suddenly making way more than that (which is inevitable...contract numbers increase in 5 years). We simply weren't willing to make him the highest paid guard in league history again when his game was in decline like we were when he was in his prime. It was a smart business decision on our end, and a smart business decision on his end as well. Not so much for the Jets, though.

Oviedo
04-21-2010, 08:43 PM

Nothing wrong with taking your money and leaving. Just keep your mouth shut, do your job and don't be subversive. Faneca failed on all three counts.