PDA

View Full Version : buckeyehoppy's Complete Steeler Mock w/UDFAs

buckeyehoppy
04-19-2010, 12:56 AM
buckeyehoppy is pretty glad he has carved out some time to take a look at the Steelers upcoming Draft. Been busy around here.

Really, the Steelers need depth out of this Draft. I feel like this Draft could go in any of several directions. But this is my take on where I think we'll go, based on what I think we'll be able to get where we select.

A note on the obvious: I've made no adjustments to what I believe will be at least one or more trades made by the Steelers during the Draft. There's a lot of value in this draft in the 2nd and 3rd Rounds. The Steelers may well use any (or all) of their non-comp picks after the 4th Round to get an additional pick or two on the second day. I don't necessarily agree the Steelers will make these trades. But, with 11 overall picks, there's a good chance that could happen.

Here goes nothin':

1.18- Jared Odrick-DT-Penn State

The Steelers can't miss with this one. The DL needs an infusion of youth that can be groomed to start. That's where Odrick makes all the sense in the world. Will fit well with the Steelers 3-4 and paired with Ziggy Hood, should solidify the DE position for years to come.

2.52- Rodger Saffold-OT-Indiana

I wasn't going to delude myself into thinking the Steelers would actually use a high draft pick on the OL. But after years of watching Benjamin get his head beat off by opposing defenses, the reality is that #7 isn't going to be of much use to the Steelers for a whole lot longer unless he gets some help. Saffold is a three-year Big 11 starter and possesses lots of position versatility to the outside of the line. If he's still on the board here, the Steelers would be nuts not to select this guy.

3.82- Akwasi Owusu-Ansah-CB-Indiana of Pennsylvania

Despite the competition level he faced in college, AOA would be an intriguing selection here. And he still might not be on the board at this spot. At very worst, AOA projects to be a feared kick returner. At best, he adds competing to be a starting cover corner to the previous sentence. Will be VERY interested to see what he can do if the Steelers get him on draft day.

4.116- Riley Cooper-WR-Florida

Much of the value at WR lies in the 2nd and 3rd Rounds. But Cooper is a solid choice here. Comes from a solid college program and had a great senior year making Tebow's job that much easier. There is a question as to whether he play football or baseball, so this pick would come with some risk. If the Steelers are worried, Blair White from Michigan State offers many of the same traits as Cooper in a slightly smaller package.

5.151- Jeff Byers-C-USC

OL from USC usually have a reliable pedigree. When they can be had with the 151st overall selection and are 3rd team All-Americans, you'd be well-advised to make the call. That's particularly true when they are at a needed position. Byers may challenge Hartwig for playing time much sooner than people think.

5.155- Walter Thurmond-CB-Oregon

Despite some injury and size concerns, Thurmond makes up for his shortcomings with apparently strong play and a good motor. He would be a strong selection here and should have something to say in the battle for playing time at CB.

5c.164- Clifton Geathers-DE-South Carolina

When your name is Geathers and you are an NFL prospect, people should pay attention. The Steelers aforementioned need for youth on the DL would be well served with this selection and he provides excellent value if he is still available.

5c.166- Kurt Coleman-S-Ohio State

A buckeyehoppy special. But Kurt Coleman was a leader for the solid Ohio State D for the last two years. He would be an excellent complement to the free form play of Polamalu and will be an excellent addition to the Steeler locker room.

6.188- Kavell Conner-OLB-Clemson

By this point in the draft, the pickings are, largely, a shot in the dark. Still, Conner was a solid contributor for the Clemson D and would add good depth behind Jimmy Hate.

7.225- Joe Pawelek-ILB-Baylor

This selection would add some youth to the mix on the inside for the Steelers. If he can contribute, Pawelek has a good chance to make a name for himself in Pittsburgh for some time to come.

7c.242- Joe Webb-QB-Alabama-Birmingham

As The Benjamin Turns notwithstanding, the Steelers may benefit from this selection since Ben's Follies have given birth to more than their share of concern and Charlie Batch has limited shelf life remaining. The Steelers also have but three QBs on the current roster. This pick would bring in a player looking for a chance and if he doesn't pan out at QB, the Steelers may well look at him as a candidate at WR.

I am also listing a short list of candidates for pickup from the UDFA pool.

Shelley Smith-OG-Colorado State
Kurtis Gregory-OG-Missouri
Austin Spitler-ILB-Ohio State
Greg Middleton-DE-Indiana
Brandon Minor-RB-Michigan

I have two Gs listed here. Reason for that is simple: the quality and value at G is virtually non-existent after the 5th Round. Smith and/or Gregory have talent enough to warrant a draft pick (remember, the Draft after the 5th is a real crap shoot). But these guys might be able to come in and push for a spot if given a chance. After all, it's not like the Steelers have a whole lot of proven talent here.

I also added Brandon Minor here. Seeing that the Steelers really only need depth at the position, Minor could be a decent prospect. He will have the type of concerns that may well keep him from being drafted. But Minor has a good chance to be a good 5 to 15 touch RB in the NFL in the right system.

Spitler was an able contributor to Ohio State's D after Laurinaitis departure and may be worth a look based on a solid work ethic alone.

Middleton might warrant a look. But he largely disappeared as a pro prospect in his last two years. I'm wondering if given the chance to come to Pittsburgh might not reinvigorate a once promising career. The guy has definite talent.

AkronSteel
04-20-2010, 12:43 AM
Love the Mock Brother!!! Odrick would be awesome, I just don't see the team going DE in Round 1 again this year!!! AOA is going to be really good in my opinion!!! I like Joe Webb alot too but I don't think there is any way we are going to see him available in the 7th Round!! We can always hope though!! :)

NW Steeler
04-20-2010, 01:49 AM
This is what makes this year so exciting (as far as the draft goes). There are so many directions we could go with at #18...including a trade down 8). Along with that comes the fact that they really can't go wrong with this years pick in round one...and hopefully round two as well. I'm sticking with a trade down, Pouncey, then a trade up for Kareem Jackson. Write it down!

Oviedo
04-20-2010, 07:50 AM
Put a RB where you have Riley Cooper and this is a very good mock. We really need depth at the RB position that does not exist right now.

Another UDFA to consider is Martin Tevaseau, NT from UNLV, 6'3" 320lbs. As mentioned before he is Frank "the Tank's" cousin so maybe we get the inside track on a UDFA signing.

steelblood
04-20-2010, 06:27 PM
your first two picks are terrible. The mock that has been in my sig for a month is much better.

NW Steeler
04-20-2010, 06:32 PM
If the Steelers decide not to go Pouncey or Iupati in round one, then I think your scenario makes some sense, although I think they will go DB before DE. I wonder how far they can trade down and still get Kareem Jackson....

buckeyehoppy
04-20-2010, 10:49 PM
Love the Mock Brother!!! Odrick would be awesome, I just don't see the team going DE in Round 1 again this year!!! AOA is going to be really good in my opinion!!! I like Joe Webb alot too but I don't think there is any way we are going to see him available in the 7th Round!! We can always hope though!! :)

The trade for Lefty probably makes the Webb pick a moot point. Prolly won't be drafting for a QB at all. If AOA is available when we draw in the 3rd, there's just too much athleticism to pass up with that pick.

This is what makes this year so exciting (as far as the draft goes). There are so many directions we could go with at #18...including a trade down 8). Along with that comes the fact that they really can't go wrong with this years pick in round one...and hopefully round two as well. I'm sticking with a trade down, Pouncey, then a trade up for Kareem Jackson. Write it down!

The Steelers are loaded with options with 1.18. FTR, I think there's a 50/50 chance we trade down. Also, there are always guys in the first half of the 1st Round that amp up the " :wft " factor. There are half a dozen guys if we ended up with them with the first pick I could live with. Chances are, one of them will be on the board wherever we select.

Put a RB where you have Riley Cooper and this is a very good mock. We really need depth at the RB position that does not exist right now.

Another UDFA to consider is Martin Tevaseau, NT from UNLV, 6'3" 320lbs. As mentioned before he is Frank "the Tank's" cousin so maybe we get the inside track on a UDFA signing.

After the 3rd, it really seems as though there is a precipitous drop off in the talent level at RB. OTOH, Ovie, I'm not totally sold that AOA will be there when we select in the 3rd. Perhaps that opens the door to Gerhart? I'd be happy with either of those guys

your first two picks are terrible. The mock that has been in my sig for a month is much better.

All things being equal, I haven't been hangin' here that much recently, SB. I'll be honest, I prolly didn't notice. Doesn't mean that I was blowing you off by not noticing. OTOH, great minds think alike :Cheers

If the Steelers decide not to go Pouncey or Iupati in round one, then I think your scenario makes some sense, although I think they will go DB before DE. I wonder how far they can trade down and still get Kareem Jackson....

Pouncey and Iupati should definitely be on the radar. Of course, as I've said 8,369,244 times... I'll believe that Colbert uses the first pick on the OL when I see it. IOW, I'm not convinced he's even scouted these guys (remember, I'm not a cynic... just a realist :wink: ). Kareem Jackson in the Steelers Black and Gold sounds good to me!

pfelix73
04-20-2010, 10:51 PM
Odrick has been working out locally at his old Lebanon, PA High School. I could see him in the Black & Gold.
:tt1

buckeyehoppy
04-20-2010, 11:12 PM
Odrick has been working out locally at his old Lebanon, PA High School. I could see him in the Black & Gold.
:tt1

The ultimate reason that I put him on top in my mock, Felix, is that so many have commented on the aggregate age of the DL. It's part of the reason I'm sure they will go here because there's a lot of DL value in the 1st Round. Lotsa people like the idea of a DB with the 1st. Outside of Wilson or (if he drops) Haden, I can't really get around that. Besides, I think there's a lot of decent CB talent hidden in the middle of this draft. Either way, there's lotsa good talent all around this draft. Hopefully Colbert and the Brain Fart Trust will be able to get our coaches some young bucks that can be groomed in our system.

steelblood
04-20-2010, 11:15 PM
I wasn't saying you copied. I was just making a joke (a poor joke, my specialty!).

buckeyehoppy
04-20-2010, 11:44 PM
I wasn't saying you copied. I was just making a joke (a poor joke, my specialty!).

I'm immune to poor jokes, SB. Hear too many of them at work.

OTOH, while we're on the same page, what do you think our prospects are if the FO listens to both of us? How do you see Odrick and Saffold fitting in?

I can see Odrick spelling Smitty and taking some of the pressure off him. Fewer minutes for Smitty might make him more durable as the season wears on.

And I'm looking at Saffold to challenge immediately for the RT job and be groomed long term to take the LT spot. He was a three-year starter at IU and was a stud in the All-Star season and with his workouts.

Read this about him, and pay attention to what he says about another guy a lot of folks here like, O'Brien Schofield: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/play ... eContainer (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/archive/1243668?tag=pageRow;pageContainer)

steelblood
04-21-2010, 07:40 AM
Odrick could immediately be our best interior pass rusher in our nickel and dime packages. His effectiveness there would aid Woodley and Harrison as the opposition's RB would need to step up to help with him. It would also help our pass coverage as we wouldn't have to blitz as much. Saffold may not play this season. I see him as more of a LT or even LG, but he could probably be successful on the right side as well. He'd be great insurance if Colon or Starks got hurt this year, and he'd have time to develop and learn the system.

MeetJoeGreene
04-21-2010, 09:48 AM
That is truly a well thought out mock draft that merits praise and compliments!

Chadman
04-21-2010, 09:53 AM
OMG, LOL! ROFLMAO!!!

OTOH...

BEH uses too few actual words.... :D

buckeyehoppy
04-21-2010, 11:16 PM
That is truly a well thought out mock draft that merits praise and compliments!

You are TOO kind, MJG! Keep up the praise and compliments! :D

buckeyehoppy
04-21-2010, 11:23 PM
Odrick could immediately be our best interior pass rusher in our nickel and dime packages. His effectiveness there would aid Woodley and Harrison as the opposition's RB would need to step up to help with him. It would also help our pass coverage as we wouldn't have to blitz as much. Saffold may not play this season. I see him as more of a LT or even LG, but he could probably be successful on the right side as well. He'd be great insurance if Colon or Starks got hurt this year, and he'd have time to develop and learn the system.

And there's some out there who think Saffold would be more well suited to LG. To each his own. At the very least, he is great insurance for Kemo and Fatt Maxx. He also makes FM expendable at the end of his deal, if not sooner.

I'd love to see what Odrick brings to the table from Day 1 for us. He was always someone to worry about in college. At least he might have been the subject of more than one of Terrelle Pryor's nightmares. Gonna love seeing him around Fucco and Palmer's sudden lack of sleep.