PDA

View Full Version : Former Coach Bill Cowher Comments On Roethlisberger

SS Laser
04-18-2010, 12:01 AM
http://www.wpxi.com/news/23184507/detail.html

There is one link I am sure there is more. I am shocked that he took the high road. I thought he and Ben butted heads? I figured when I seen this it would be like more like Terry B. Cowher had a chance to take a few shots but did not. :shock:

Maybe Cowher learned you need a good QB to win super bowls so if he comes back to the nfl maybe he can pull a Eagles/Redskins Mcnabb type trade for the most hated QB in the nfl right now in Big Ben? :roll:

birtikidis
04-18-2010, 12:10 AM
it wouldn't play for me.. not sure why.
can you give me the gist of it?

SS Laser
04-18-2010, 12:24 AM
Cowher said, "The bottom line is you gotta be accountable. I think whatever the punishment is, Ben will handle it. He'll take it. The most important thing isn't so much the punishment, it's the lesson he's learned. Only time will tell. He's got an opportunity I think to restore the faith that a lot of people in the league, in the city of Pittsburgh and this team have in him, but it's going to take time," said Cowher.

There is more hang on I will see what I can find.

SS Laser
04-18-2010, 12:25 AM
http://kdka.com/sports/Bill.Cowher.Roet ... 39735.html (http://kdka.com/sports/Bill.Cowher.Roethlisberger.2.1639735.html)

Former Steelers' head coach Bill Cowher has now weighed in, saying he believes that the NFL will levy an appropriate punishment.

"The bottom line is you have to be accountable, and I think that there has been a precedent set. I think that whatever the punishment is Ben will handle it, will take it," said Cowher. "But the most important thing isn't so much the punishment, it's the lesson that he's learned and only time is going to tell."

Cowher went on to say Roethlisberger is young and talented and should be able to eventually restore his reputation.

SS Laser
04-18-2010, 12:32 AM
http://northcarolinastate.scout.com/2/962995.html

Best video I found. It has full interview. Down the page a few, click on his chin LOL!

birtikidis
04-18-2010, 12:48 AM
thank you sir! that was damn fast!

SS Laser
04-18-2010, 12:51 AM
No problem. I think it speaks volumes for Ben. I wonder how others will see it. Like the we need to trade Ben guys. :HeadBanger

birtikidis
04-18-2010, 12:54 AM
yea, man, I def. respect cowhers opinion (even if he does ring that damn siren at those dman hockey games).. I'd hate to trade ben unless it was something ridiculous being offered.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
04-18-2010, 01:08 AM
No, no, can't you see it guys?

Cowher hates the Steelers because of deep seated feelings of inadequacy from bringing home only one SB in 15 years. And we all know how much he hates Ben, because Ben promptly brought home two more rings in the 3 years after Cowher left.

Can't you see it? He's saying these things because he want the Steelers to fail - and he knows that the worst thing for the team would be to keep Ben.

It's so obvious when you think about it!!!

Signed,

O. Stone

SS Laser
04-18-2010, 01:08 AM
yea, man, I def. respect cowhers opinion (even if he does ring that damn siren at those dman hockey games).. I'd hate to trade ben unless it was something ridiculous being offered.
:Agree

papillon
04-18-2010, 08:29 AM
:Agree

I'm curious, what would you consider as trade for Ben? How far from the two firsts this year and a second next year with the 49ers or Seahawks are you?

Pappy

Northern_Blitz
04-18-2010, 08:33 AM
Cowher said, "The bottom line is you gotta be accountable. I think whatever the punishment is, Ben will handle it. He'll take it. The most important thing isn't so much the punishment, it's the lesson he's learned. Only time will tell. He's got an opportunity I think to restore the faith that a lot of people in the league, in the city of Pittsburgh and this team have in him, but it's going to take time," said Cowher.

There is more hang on I will see what I can find.

Quoted for truth.

SS Laser
04-18-2010, 09:12 AM
I'm curious, what would you consider as trade for Ben? How far from the two firsts this year and a second next year with the 49ers or Seahawks are you?

Pappy[/quote]

I would not trade Ben at all really, but if some team said 2 1st rd picks this year and a 1st next year with maybe a late rd pick added I would have to pull the trigger I think.

Just don't forget both of the teams you use might get a bunch better with Ben so next yrs pick would not be as good a pick.

I also would like to point out that I would do a Ditka type trade with any player on the team not just BAD BEN. :wink:

spyboots
04-18-2010, 09:10 PM
I would not trade Ben at any price at this time and neither will the Rooneys. He'll be given 1 last chance.

Chadman
04-18-2010, 09:56 PM
Can someone please explain what Ben is so ready to accept his punishment for?

And before you start saying Chadman is changing his arguments regarding Ben- the reason Chadman wants to know is this- he is remarkably accepting of his fate for an 'innocent' man.

pfelix73
04-18-2010, 10:04 PM
Because he's gonna tow the company line here and accept what they give him and just shut up. I probably wouldn't but then again, I'm a one man show and don't work for others. It's just the way it is- he'll accept it and move on.

Might not be right but.... oh well.
:tt1

Chadman
04-18-2010, 10:30 PM
Because he's gonna tow the company line here and accept what they give him and just shut up. I probably wouldn't but then again, I'm a one man show and don't work for others. It's just the way it is- he'll accept it and move on.

Might not be right but.... oh well.
:tt1

What? And make himself appear guilty enough for the Steelers & NFL to feel they need to punish him?

With a court case still hanging over his head?

Sorry Felix- you are generally more thought out than that- that just seems like "Fairy Land BS" & more to do with you wanting to believe Ben is innocent.

His legal team & the players union would never stand for it.

SS Laser
04-18-2010, 10:36 PM

And before you start saying Chadman is changing his arguments regarding Ben- the reason Chadman wants to know is this- he is remarkably accepting of his fate for an 'innocent' man.

I said this before in another thread. But will hook you up again chadman.

Ben is guilty of bad PR for the steelers/nfl more then once. It could have been a bar fight for example. With no one pressing charges so nothing was illegal. It would be like if you worked for a large company and made that company look bad some how just did not break any laws. Well you did break company laws of conduct. So the company has to take action.

Look at Holmes, no jail time or anything for weed. Just broke nfl laws. I understand why you are pisssed chadman. So am I. But I am not looking at what Ben could have done. Just what I think and the nfl/steelers think he is guilty of. Bad PR!

So he will take the fine/suspension like a good company man who screwed up.

Chadman
04-18-2010, 10:48 PM

Ben is guilty of bad PR for the steelers/nfl more then once. It could have been a bar fight for example. With no one pressing charges so nothing was illegal. It would be like if you worked for a large company and made that company look bad some how just did not break any laws. Well you did break company laws of conduct. So the company has to take action.

Look at Holmes, no jail time or anything for weed. Just broke nfl laws. I understand why you are pisssed chadman. So am I. But I am not looking at what Ben could have done. Just what I think and the nfl/steelers think he is guilty of. Bad PR!

If that is truly the case- what is stopping a fan of a divisional rival claiming Ben diddled her- in order to see him suspended based on rumours/innuendo?

Chadman finds it close to impossible to believe that the NFL/Steelers could really punish Ben for bad PR.

For Chadman, if Ben sits there & accepts the punishment doled out to him, it is like admitting he did wrong. With a court case hanging over his head- is that the sort of admission you want to make?

The wording of the reason for any penalty coming Ben's way will be very interesting.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
04-18-2010, 11:05 PM

If that is truly the case- what is stopping a fan of a divisional rival claiming Ben diddled her- in order to see him suspended based on rumours/innuendo?

Chadman finds it close to impossible to believe that the NFL/Steelers could really punish Ben for bad PR.Bringing disrepute on the NFL - that's in his contract ... is this too different from "bad PR"?

For Chadman, if Ben sits there & accepts the punishment doled out to him, it is like admitting he did wrong. With a court case hanging over his head- is that the sort of admission you want to make?I understand you feel silence is an admission of guilt, but as mentioned earlier in this post, it can be for any of a number of other reasons - told to just ben dover and take it by the F.O. or he'll find out what's good for him ... instructed by his lawyer to keep it zipped while his private investigator continues to collect information... etc., etc. I looks bad now, I agree. I only hope that it serves a positive purpose at some point in the future.

The wording of the reason for any penalty coming Ben's way will be very interesting.

SS Laser
04-18-2010, 11:07 PM

Well it would be hard for this to happen if he is at home with proof? Ben needs to say home and play football right now.

Chadman finds it close to impossible to believe that the NFL/Steelers could really punish Ben for bad PR.

We will see. That is how I see the code of conduct in the nfl. Tell me what you think of when I say code of conduct?

For Chadman, if Ben sits there & accepts the punishment doled out to him, it is like admitting he did wrong. With a court case hanging over his head- is that the sort of admission you want to make?

He was wrong in going out and acting like a jacasss! Not guilty of breaking any laws.

The wording of the reason for any penalty coming Ben's way will be very interesting.[/quote]
Yes it will chadman. But I think it will be said that he broke the steeler/nfl code of conduct. What conduct? Do they have to say? I don't think so. Yes this is a mess.

Chadman
04-18-2010, 11:15 PM
Yes it will chadman. But I think it will be said that he broke the steeler/nfl code of conduct. What conduct? Do they have to say? I don't think so. Yes this is a mess.

So let's say they suspend him for this.

McNulty's lawyer will latch on- showing a trend of poor behaviour, and will likely then require the NFL/Steelers to explain what part of the code of conduct he broke.

What do they say then?

Would Ben's legal team be under more pressure if this goes down?

SS Laser
04-18-2010, 11:30 PM
So let's say they suspend him for this.

McNulty's lawyer will latch on- showing a trend of poor behaviour, and will likely then require the NFL/Steelers to explain what part of the code of conduct he broke.

What do they say then?

Would Ben's legal team be under more pressure if this goes down?[/quote]

Yes Ben does show a trend of poor behaviour. But does that mean he has raped anyone?
I know a few people who show a trend of poor behaviour but they are really good people just not very smart. They would never rape anyone I don't think.

I am sure the NFL/Steelers and Ben are dealing with all there lawyers on his suspension. One extra reason to wait till after the draft. Why goodell is going to review all the info on Ben. Why they talked for 2hrs in there meeting.

Not to sure how the vegas deal will turn out. I will just wait and see. I think it will take a long time. But that is not good for Ben's PR either.
I will just have to hold on to what ever the Steelers do. It is there team I am "fine" with whatever they do. I can still come here and B*itch about it. :lol:

Chadman
04-18-2010, 11:33 PM
True enough... :D

Slapstick
04-20-2010, 12:41 PM
Of course Ben is going to be suspended for bad PR. He has not committed a crime, so what else could it be?

If you are saying that the NFL somehow has evidence that Ben is guilty but are not divulging that information to the authorities, I would have to believe that you are mistaken...

General policy

Engaging in violent and/or criminal activity is unacceptable and constitutes conduct detrimental to the integrity of and public confidence in the National Football League. Such conduct alienates the fans on whom the success of the League depends and has negative and sometimes tragic consequences for both the victim and the perpetrator.

The League is committed to promoting and encouraging lawful conduct and to providing a safe and professional workplace for its employees.

Ben will be suspended for bad PR...