PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben and Trade Talks

BigRob
04-15-2010, 04:21 PM
Quoting Art Rooney:

Q: Is there any truth you are discussing a trade or have discussed a trade?

A: "We don’t talk about trades in advance, as you know. It’s been a consistent policy and I think that’s the way we’ll proceed. The only thing I’ll add is that at this point we have not discussed a trade with any other club."

This sounds to me like they would consider offers for Big Ben, does it not?

What if some team, say San Francisco offer their two 1st Rd picks?

SteelAbility
04-15-2010, 04:28 PM
Noooooooooooooooo! Not another Ben trade talk thread. Yes there is a point at which it is worth it. I think the problem with a trade happening is that it will be extremely difficult for a meeting of the minds to occur between the Steelers and any other organization.

Ben's PERCEIVED off-field problems are too high for the Steelers to get an offer that matches the combination of Ben's known on-field performance and his potential to clean up his act.

proudpittsburgher
04-15-2010, 04:30 PM
I talked about this in another thread, but it bears repeating here. here is Art II's statement . . .

After imposing an appropriate level of discipline and outlining the steps we feel will be necessary to be successful as a player and a person, we intend to allow Ben the opportunity to prove to us he is the teammate and citizen we all believe he is capable of being. And we hope the entire Steelers community will allow Ben the opportunity to prove to them that he deserves their trust and their respect.

Aftre saying that, where does anyone get the idea that Ben will be traded solely on what has happened up until now? Now, if he does it again, then he is a goner, but I thought it was pretty clear that "We don't discuss trades with the public or media" doesn't equal "We are open to trades."

BigRob
04-15-2010, 04:34 PM
I talked about this in another thread, but it bears repeating here. here is Art II's statement . . .

After imposing an appropriate level of discipline and outlining the steps we feel will be necessary to be successful as a player and a person, we intend to allow Ben the opportunity to prove to us he is the teammate and citizen we all believe he is capable of being. And we hope the entire Steelers community will allow Ben the opportunity to prove to them that he deserves their trust and their respect.

Aftre saying that, where does anyone get the idea that Ben will be traded solely on what has happened up until now? Now, if he does it again, then he is a goner, but I thought it was pretty clear that "We don't discuss trades with the public or media" doesn't equal "We are open to trades."

Quite simply what he said didn't foreclose the Steelers from listening to trade talks. What he said was they don't discuss them in advance and that "at this point" there have been no trade talks. I believe they will look to keeping Ben, but this hints to me that they would be open to at least discussing offers from teams.

SteelAbility
04-15-2010, 04:39 PM

Quite simply what he said didn't foreclose the Steelers from listening to trade talks. What he said was they don't discuss them in advance and that "at this point" there have been no trade talks. I believe they will look to keeping Ben, but this hints to me that they would be open to at least discussing offers from teams.

They not only would, they should. If the right offer comes along and some fool wants to give you the farm for one player do it. The Dallas Cowboys built their 90s SB teams on the ridiculous perceived value of Herschel Walker, having obtained a pile of draft picks for him (from Minnesota, I believe). But see my other post for why I just don't think it will happen.

steelblood
04-15-2010, 04:42 PM
I think it is clear that the Steelers are not actively seeking to trade Ben before the draft. The ONLY way that would happen is if a team approached them and made them a fantastic offer. Then, they would have to give it some thought. Still, the time frame is so small and with Ben's suspension likely coming after the draft, a trade is highly unlikely and probably not worth speculating about.

proudpittsburgher
04-15-2010, 06:10 PM
I see what you are all saying, but I read and heard things like they will allow him the opportunity to be the teammate he is capable of being, and that Steeler fans should give him the opportunity to earn their trust . . . well, to me, that means Ben will stay with the team through this. I don't see how they make that statement and trade him befoer the season starts. Just because he said the team doesn't discuss possible trades with the public and media doesn;t mean he's talking around the question. They don't.

hawaiiansteel
04-15-2010, 06:42 PM
"Ben will NOT be traded, hope that helps."

http://i39.tinypic.com/23hq44w.jpg

Shawn
04-15-2010, 10:34 PM
I think it is clear that the Steelers are not actively seeking to trade Ben before the draft. The ONLY way that would happen is if a team approached them and made them a fantastic offer. Then, they would have to give it some thought. Still, the time frame is so small and with Ben's suspension likely coming after the draft, a trade is highly unlikely and probably not worth speculating about.

I think this is money. The Steelers will be willing to listen to any offers. If a team offered a couple firsts and a second...you never know. They might be willing to put the drama behind them. Me personally I wouldn't trade Ben for another teams 1-7 this season. But, maybe that's just me.

Shawn
04-15-2010, 10:36 PM
I see what you are all saying, but I read and heard things like they will allow him the opportunity to be the teammate he is capable of being, and that Steeler fans should give him the opportunity to earn their trust . . . well, to me, that means Ben will stay with the team through this. I don't see how they make that statement and trade him befoer the season starts. Just because he said the team doesn't discuss possible trades with the public and media doesn;t mean he's talking around the question. They don't.

Exactly.

What I got from all of this is...for all intensive purposes Ben will be a Steeler this season. But, if another team wants to offer the farm, the ranch and a couple houses in the Florida Keys...we are willing to listen.

SteelAbility
04-16-2010, 06:48 AM

That word also says that to the Rooney's team does not end on-field/in-practice/in-meetings.