PDA

View Full Version : Finally a realistic mock draft...

StarSpangledSteeler
04-15-2010, 03:54 PM
[ All picks are based on Walter Football prospect rankings. ]

1) C - Pouncey (Florida) 6'4", 306, 5.2
2) CB - Ghee (Wake Forest) 6'0", 191 4.37 or Jackson (Alabama) 5'10", 196, 4.41
3) WR - Mitchell (S. Florida) 6'3" 215, 4.4
4) RB - Blount (Oregon) 6'0" 238, 4.53
4) ILB - Spikes (Florida) 6'3", 253, 5.0 (trade up with our 5ths, 6th, and 7th)
5) WR - Decker (Minnesota) 6'3", 217, 4.5
5) CB - Butler (Clemson) 6'0", 191, 4.41
7) S - Chancellor (Virginia Tech) 6'3", 231, 4.59

Reasoning:

(Pouncey) Our biggest weakness right now is center. Hartwig is one of the absolute worst centers in the NFL. He doesn't open holes up the middle and can't pass protect especially on inside blitzes. He completely prevents us from playing any semblance of smash-mouth Steeler football. The front office was set on drafting a center in the first round last year and nothing has changed. Many of the scouts seem to feel Pouncey is NFL ready right now (meaning ready to start), and has very low bust potential. 1.18 is very high for a center but if he starts for 8-10 years we'll look back and say it was very good value. I believe he has pro-bowl potential. With the quality of opposing NT's these days, it's very difficult to have a dominate OL with late round Centers. With guards you can sometimes get away with a middle round prospect, but with center you need a 'Captain' who can make the calls, anchor against the bull rush, blow open holes in the run game (either by trapping or straight up plowing), zone block when called upon, and (in our offense) sometimes even pull and block LB's on the second level. Pouncey can do all of these things effectively. Plus when the owner says "We need to return to Steeler football, with a more dominate run game," the draft will likely reflect that.

(Ghee/Jackson) Our second biggest weakness is at CB. The only reason it is second and not first is because we do have Ike, who although not a pro-bowler, is fast and experienced and has proven to be fairly effective against bigger more athletic receivers. Gay on the other hand is absolutely atrocious. Either Jackson or Ghee should be available when we pick in the second, and either one could probably compete with Gay for the starting role by mid-season, if given a legitimate opportunity. Ghee has great speed and size. Jackson has played well against top tier competition. Remember we do have Lewis and Burnett who have a full year in our system and should be much more prepared to contribute this year.

(Mitchell) If Mitchell had played for any of the top ten schools he'd be a first rounder. You just don't find his type of measurables and skill-sets in the third round very often. He presents excellent value in a position of need. He can contribute on passing downs immediately (very much like Wallace did last year) because he will physically dominate the opposing dime/nickle CB's. Plus his upside is huge once he refines his technique. He can eventually take over for Ward and fills the Holmes void very nicely.

(Blount) First of all let me say, I think there is a complete absolute 100% difference between someone who loses his temper/judgement on the field in the heat of battle and someone who smokes dope, assaults women, or otherwise breaks the law off the field. I would compare Blount much more to Kemoeatu (and the head stomping incident). He's not a bad kid. He's just a fiery, nasty competitor who just stepped over the line one time and was extremely remorseful. His athletic talent is dominate and will translate very nicely to the NFL. He can run in between tackles, stays low, and gains good yards after contact. He is a perfect compliment to Mendy (possibly even stronger up the middle) and should Mendy get hurt he would give us valuable starting minutes.

(Spikes) Very much like Blount, Spikes issue was on the field. He is not a criminal. I don't mind a little fire in my linebackers, even if it must be controlled. I liked having Porter on our team, calling out opposing players, getting in their heads, and firing up our own guys. We need some more emotional leaders and I think he could be one. Athletically, he is big, he is strong, and he can thump. I realize he has timed slow but i bet he's still faster than Farrior or Foote. On our team he would play one and only one position. BUCK ILB. His duty would be taking on fullbacks and pulling guards, and plugging the hole. He is very capable of doing that. We would probably have to trade up into the 4th to get him (our 5th, 6th, and 7th) but I love his value there.

(Decker) I am a firm believer in matching your WR's to your QB. Ben is not a precision passer. Instant separation does not mean as much with Ben because he's not going to throw the ball in the first 2 seconds anyway. Ben needs big strong receivers who can go up and get the ball when covered. Decker can do that especially in cold weather. He has good size, good hands, and good speed. He would not be asked to run fly patterns or deep slants. He can catch the ball underneath and take contact. That is what we need.

(Butler) Good speed and size. Two year starter in the SEC. Practice squad and develop into nickle/dime CB. Similar to Ike but not so fast.

(Chancellor) I'm not saying Chancellor is the heir to Ryan Clark, but he has great size and could very likely make the team as a back up FS and special teamer. He couldn't be too much worse than Mundy and compares well with Allen. Definitely worth a flyer.

isonator07
04-15-2010, 03:56 PM
I hope it works out like this. :Boobs

frankthetank1
04-15-2010, 04:00 PM
wow spikes is projected to go that late?? i thought he was suppose to be drafted in the 2nd round? i like ghee a lot but i would rather have thomas or wilson. other than that looks very good

WoodleyofTroy
04-15-2010, 04:02 PM
I like it.

But Ghee couldn't catch a beach ball.. definitely Kareem Jackson there.

Decker is projected as a 2nd rounder. Anything can happen, but you mentioned "realistic" so, 5th is probably pushing it.

Jom112
04-15-2010, 04:04 PM
wow spikes is projected to go that late?? i thought he was suppose to be drafted in the 2nd round? i like ghee a lot but i would rather have thomas or wilson. other than that looks very good

Spikes has been dropping big time since he ran a horrendous 40. I mean there are slow 40's and then there was his time.

Kareem Jackson would be a prefect fit for your D. He's pretty physical, which is what I think makes Ike successful in your defense...

birtikidis
04-15-2010, 04:10 PM
that would be a great draft.

Lebsteel
04-15-2010, 04:13 PM
What scenario do your Round numbers come from? We have two 5th round comps that can't be traded. I see you are trading a 5, 6 and 7, but we should have at least two picks in Rd. 5 and in your scenario we would still have one from the Jets and our two comps.

StarSpangledSteeler
04-15-2010, 04:30 PM
What scenario do your Round numbers come from? We have two 5th round comps that can't be traded and two regular 5th round picks. Plus we have a 7th round comp pick.

Look at the Spikes selection in round 4. We would trade our regular 5th's (2), 6th, and 7th picks for a 4th round pick. The other two 5th's and the other 7th are comp picks which can't be traded.

Eddie Spaghetti
04-15-2010, 04:33 PM
i can't describe how happy that draft would make me.

jackson is rising into the 1st though according to what i am reading. getting spikes and blount in the 4th would make me **** my pants.

Sugar
04-15-2010, 04:38 PM
Booooooooo! I don't like this at all if there is a quality DB anywhere near us at #18. Hartwig was NOT our biggest weakness- Gay was.

The Offense handed the D 10 point leads in the 4th quarter and the D couldn't seal the deal because of a weak pass D. Get a real playmaker back there with a healthy Troy and we can be dominant. Even if Troy gets hurt again we can at least be competent.

WoodleyofTroy
04-15-2010, 04:45 PM
Booooooooo! I don't like this at all if there is a quality DB anywhere near us at #18. Hartwig was NOT our biggest weakness- Gay was.

The Offense handed the D 10 point leads in the 4th quarter and the D couldn't seal the deal because of a weak pass D. Get a real playmaker back there with a healthy Troy and we can be dominant. Even if Troy gets hurt again we can at least be competent.

If Haden or Earl Thomas are there, yeah.

Snatch98
04-15-2010, 04:59 PM
I'm not thrilled with the idea of drafting Pouncy but if they rest of the draft went in that fashion and yes Pouncey is a definite need I'd be thrilled.

isonator07
04-15-2010, 05:34 PM
:Agree

NW Steeler
04-15-2010, 05:50 PM
I pretty sure that the punching incident wasn't Blount's only issue he had at Oregon. Seems to me he had been in trouble before that as well. Given our current player issues, I really doubt that Blount will be a target for us.

D Rock
04-15-2010, 05:51 PM
I like it.

Decker is projected as a 2nd rounder. Anything can happen, but you mentioned "realistic" so, 5th is probably pushing it.

I've seen Decker listed as a 3rd/4th round prospect. He is also coming off a lisfranc injury so he very well could fall to at least the 4th if not 5th if teams are scared off by that.

WoodleyofTroy
04-15-2010, 06:06 PM
I like it.

I've seen Decker listed as a 3rd/4th round prospect. He is also coming off a lisfranc injury so he very well could fall to at least the 4th if not 5th if teams are scared off by that.

Oh, didn't see him listed that low. Just saw Mayock listing him as his 5th overall WR, in his rankings.

Since nothing surprises me in the draft, it's possible.

Just brought it up because of the title of the thread.