PDA

View Full Version : Steelers have internally discussed trading Roethlisberger

Jom112
04-15-2010, 01:46 PM
Should probably go in the Around the League section, but this article makes some pretty bold statements...

The Pittsburgh Steelers haven't talked with other teams about dealing embattled quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, but they've had significant internal discussions about the matter, a source with knowledge of the situation said Thursday.

According to the source, Steelers ownership remains dismayed and embarrassed by Roethlisberger's actions in a Georgia college town this offseason and finds his string of off-the-field incidents troubling. The team has been closely monitoring the public backlash against Roethlisberger.

Art Rooney II will address the Ben Roethlisberger situation Thursday. NFL Network will air the news conference live at 2:30 p.m. ET. More ...

"The Rooneys are livid," the source said.

A Georgia district attorney decided not to hand down sexual-assault criminal charges against Roethlisberger on Monday, but the Steelers, as well as the NFL, could impose their own discipline on him.

Roethlisberger met with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell on Tuesday. Goodell said Wednesday that he would make a decision on Roethlisberger's status "in the near future."

Steelers president Art Rooney II will meet with the media at 2:30 p.m. ET Thursday to discuss the Roethlisberger situation, but he isn't expected to make an announcement regarding the sort of suspension or punishment for Roethlisberger.

The Steelers' front office has talked internally about possible trade scenarios that could be feasible and what makes sense for the team. According to a source, if other teams called about Roethlisberger, the Steelers would intently listen.

The Steelers could envision several trade scenarios, but they're skeptical about other teams taking on Roethlisberger, given his baggage. However, they also realize his contract is tradeable in an uncapped year, with the bonuses already paid and Roethlisberger signed for six more years at a manageable salary for a franchise quarterback ($8.05 million in 2010, $11.6 million per year from 2011 to 2014, and $12.1 million in 2015).

In particular, the Steelers are enamored with likely No. 1 overall draft pick Sam Bradford. They essentially view Bradford as a sure-thing franchise quarterback and have considered what it would take to move up to the No. 1 pick in a trade with the St. Louis Rams, according to a source. However, the Steelers know executing such a move would be highly difficult, and they figure the Rams have limited interest in Roethlisberger.

Steelers officials aren't worried about how Roethlisberger's return will impact the locker room. The Rooneys' concern is born of the history and prestige of their franchise, the recent fan backlash and public perception about Roethlisberger and their belief that no player is bigger than the team.

However, the source noted that this isn't "a Santonio Holmes situation," alluding to the Steelers dumping the talented but troubled receiver for a fifth-round pick over the weekend as he faced a four-game suspension for violating the league's substance-abuse policy.

"This is not a case of having to get rid of this guy,'" the source said. "There would have to be fair value."

Roethlisberger, drafted 11th overall in 2004, has performed at an elite level for the Steelers. He's among the winningest quarterbacks for his age and already possesses two Super Bowl rings. His size, improvisational skills and ability to escape the rush and deliver the ball to all parts of the field make him among the best in the league.

Should Roethlisberger have another off-the-field misstep, however, his Steelers career likely would be over, according to team and league sources. And, if a legitimate trade scenario materialized, that end could come much sooner.

Teams that aren't committed long-term to a starting quarterback include the Rams, Buffalo Bills, Cleveland Browns, Oakland Raiders, San Francisco 49ers, Denver Broncos, Carolina Panthers, Seattle Seahawks and Arizona Cardinals. The Steelers refused to entertain dealing Holmes within the AFC North, and that would apply with Roethlisberger as well. A trade likely would have to involve a quarterback or put the Steelers in position to draft one they like (Pittsburgh is high on its young backup, Dennis Dixon, however).

Finding the right deal is remote, the Steelers know, but not necessarily impossible.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d ... nfirm=true (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8178b2b1&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true)

NW Steeler
04-15-2010, 01:59 PM
Wow. If this is true, the Rooney's must truly be at the end of their rope with Ben. Trading him seems insane to me, but that had been discussed here in detail. I would respect the Rooney's decision to rid themselves of Ben if they truly believe he has embarrassed the franchise and feel that he will never change. It's a tough call. If he is traded, we will not be Super Bowl contenders for who knows how long. Can the Steelers get two #1's for Ben, including the #1 overall pick? If they are offered that, I wouldn't be surprised to see him dealt. Not that I want to see it happen, but I think it could. Is anyone that sold on Bradford being a can't miss prospect?

hawaiiansteel
04-15-2010, 02:11 PM
Ben will not be traded.

yes, the Rooneys are pissed off but more than anything else this is meant as a very loud and clear message to Ben.

if he does something stupid again however, he is gone...

Dee Dub
04-15-2010, 02:11 PM
Yep...I've been saying this. Again...I would love for this team to draft Tim Tebow and get back to smash mouth football.

If the 49ers give their two first round picks (13th and 17th), I am all for it.

I think a change is needed.

steeler_george
04-15-2010, 02:14 PM
I think this statement is more of a threat to Ben. I don't think they really want to trade Ben and start from the beginning again with so many veterans on the squad.

WoodleyofTroy
04-15-2010, 02:14 PM
I'd rather he be released, than be insulted with another 5th round pick. Which is all they are capable of.

Dee Dub
04-15-2010, 02:15 PM
Ben will not be traded.

yes, the Rooneys are pissed off but more than anything else this is meant as a very loud and clear message to Ben.

Dude the Steelers are already talking to other teams about a possible trade. Wake up. What Ben has done is a huge thing to the Rooney's.

And I for one do not think this would be the end of the world for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

birtikidis
04-15-2010, 02:18 PM
Ben will not be traded.

Dude the Steelers are already talking to other teams about a possible trade. Wake up. What Ben has done is a huge thing to the Rooney's.

And I for one do not think this would be the end of the world for the Pittsburgh Steelers.
I don't know if they've actually talked to anyone about anything yet. that's still up in the air. I'll wait till i hear something more definite. I do agree that they are pissed. It would be really hard to pass up two first round picks (whether they be this years 1 and next yeards 1 or SF's two this year)///

WoodleyofTroy
04-15-2010, 02:19 PM
Ben will not be traded.

Actually I can see this being one of those things that haunts a team for a long time. Red Sox, Cubs, etc.

JAR
04-15-2010, 02:20 PM
Ben will not be traded.

I don't know if they've actually talked to anyone about anything yet. that's still up in the air. I'll wait till i hear something more definite. I do agree that they are pissed. It would be really hard to pass up two first round picks (whether they be this years 1 and next yeards 1 or SF's two this year)///

Yes, let's all believe what the media is telling us again!!!

Dee Dub
04-15-2010, 02:21 PM
Ben will not be traded.

Actually I can see this being one of those things that haunts a team for a long time. Red Sox, Cubs, etc.

Well you tend to be on the negative side...so yeah I could see that. :roll:

I personally think the Pittsburgh Steelers are bigger than any one player.

birtikidis
04-15-2010, 02:23 PM
Ben will not be traded.

Yes, let's all believe what the media is telling us again!!!
I don't listen to anything the media is telling anyone. they've completely blown this situation out of proportion. I do believe the rooneys are pissed though. I mean, why wouldn't htey be? all signs say they are... or did you forget about ben standing completely alone in his press conference the other day? and the thing about the trade was in reply to DD's trade idea.

Dee Dub
04-15-2010, 02:25 PM
I don't listen to anything the media is telling anyone. they've completely blown this situation out of proportion. I do believe the rooneys are pissed though. I mean, why wouldn't htey be? all signs say they are... or did you forget about ben standing completely alone in his press conference the other day? and the thing about the trade was in reply to DD's trade idea.

Birtikidis...this just isnt any media guy. This comes from LaCanfora from the NFL Network/NFL. I think this dude is pretty connected.

cruzer8
04-15-2010, 02:32 PM

Birtikidis...this just isnt any media guy. This comes from LaCanfora from the NFL Network/NFL. I think this dude is pretty connected.

That loser from Baltimore (LaCanfora is from Baltimore, in case you didn't know) has put all kinds of BS out there.

Of course any team is going to listen to trade talks on any player. But that doesn't mean they are going to move on them.

Ben isn't going anywhere. The sooner you come to grips with it the sooner you can move on.

Jom112
04-15-2010, 02:41 PM
@mortreport Rooney: At this point, we've not discussed a trade (of Ben) with any club. Indicated earlier Ben would be given a chance to re-prove self

At this point...

steelblood
04-15-2010, 02:57 PM
Like JOM said, "at this point." He did not deny internal discussions about trading him. No media outlets have said that there were discussions with other teams. Right now, they plan on keeping him. But, anything could happen especially if Ben continues to disrespect the franchise (as he did as his PC with that awful, insincere sounding speech and trailer trash look). He is under the microscope now, and he better start to improve.

phillyesq
04-15-2010, 03:04 PM

He is the one that reported that Hampton would be a surprise cut during training camp last year.

He may be a stooge that is fed mis-information for the purpose of motivating players, but I'm not sure that I'd call him well connected.

birtikidis
04-15-2010, 03:08 PM

He is the one that reported that Hampton would be a surprise cut during training camp last year.

He may be a stooge that is fed mis-information for the purpose of motivating players, but I'm not sure that I'd call him well connected.
I was just listening to him after the PC... he seems to talk out both sides of his mouth. and he talks with enough conviction that he sounds like he knows what he's talking about. but as Eisen said (to the effect of) all this talk of trade is fantasy land

SteelAbility
04-15-2010, 03:14 PM
I think this statement is more of a threat to Ben. I don't think they really want to trade Ben and start from the beginning again with so many veterans on the squad.

Cha-ching!

feltdizz
04-15-2010, 03:50 PM

Cha-ching!
I agree... no one wants to trade Ben but he is making it easier to think about it with the off field issues. It's not like Ben's on field talent makes him trade bait. I would be furious if we traded Ben to get Sam Glassford or Tim Teblow...

Those guys are not franchise QB's IMO.

birtikidis
04-15-2010, 04:14 PM

Cha-ching!
I agree... no one wants to trade Ben but he is making it easier to think about it with the off field issues. It's not like Ben's on field talent makes him trade bait. I would be furious if we traded Ben to get Sam Glassford or Tim Teblow...

I would say that it isn't easier to think about it.. i think it's more of, now we kinda HAVE to think about it. I mean, I would be disappointed as hell if we did trade him, bc it was never a possibility until now..

SteelAbility
04-15-2010, 04:21 PM

Cha-ching!

You agree with me? Remember the glory days when we fought over whether it was the D's fault or the O's fault? Yeah ... I long for those days again! :P :moon

RuthlessBurgher
04-15-2010, 06:41 PM

Cha-ching!

You agree with me? Remember the glory days when we fought over whether it was the D's fault or the O's fault? Yeah ... I long for those days again! :P :moon

What's with all this agreement crap? We can't have that. I'll start the arguments back up again. SteelAbility, you be "Great Taste" and feltdizz can be "Less Filling" :mrgreen:

feltdizz
04-15-2010, 07:37 PM

Cha-ching!

once the season starts it's on :Beer

feltdizz
04-15-2010, 07:41 PM

Cha-ching!

What's with all this agreement crap? We can't have that. I'll start the arguments back up again. SteelAbility, you be "Great Taste" and feltdizz can be "Less Filling" :mrgreen:

It's been so hectic I forgot who my enemies are on here.

...or maybe I just disagree based on topic and not person...

I'm Great Taste though... Steelability is less filling.

StarSpangledSteeler
04-15-2010, 08:06 PM
Ben will not be traded.

Good call, Hawaiiann. I agree.