PDA

View Full Version : Lance Zierlein's mock draft...(insightful?)

PSU_dropout43
04-14-2010, 04:42 PM
April 06, 2010
Mock Draft, Version 4 - Back to the secondary for Texans
1. St. Louis Rams Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma: Unless the Rams get an unbelievable trade offer (which won't happen), Bradford will be the guy here and is worth the risk in my opinion.

2. Detroit Lions Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska: With the Lions missing out on Anthony Hargrove, it looks like they will set their sights on DT rather than LT and Suh would be a fit here for sure.

3. Tampa Bay Bucs Russell Okung, LT, Oklahoma State: While everyone is busy penciling in DT in this spot, the fact is that LT is a bigger priority when you consider how far the talent falls off after the first round at that position. The Bucs can get another DT in round 2, but the best LTs will be off the board by then.

4. Washington Redskins Trent Williams, LT, Oklahoma: With Okung off the board, the Redskins might be tempted to take Gerald McCoy here if they believe he can play NT; however, LT is a huge need and Williams has the athleticism, arm length and upside that Mike Shanahan covets.

5. Kansas City Chiefs Bryan Bulaga, LT, Iowa: If Suh or McCoy were to somehow fall to this spot, I could see the Chiefs fielding trade offers for this pick. As it stands, they have a need at tackle, safety and linebacker and Bulaga would probably be a priority over Eric Berry or Rolando McClain.

6. Seattle Seahawks Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma: The Seahawks would probably look to the LT spot if one of the top 3 guys were available, but in this scenario, they are not. It will be interesting to see if the Seahawks are tempted to take Eric Berry with this pick.

7. Cleveland Browns Eric Berry, FS, Tennessee: Cleveland isn't in any better position now than they were just a few years back from being an expansion team and one player isn't going to make up for that, but Berry is the type of aggressive play-maker that can set a tone on defense and that the Browns can hope will be their version of Ed Reed over the next decade.

8. Oakland Raiders Jason Pierre-Paul: While everyone else is focusing on Bruce Campbell after his combine, I'm going to go with Pierre-Paul here. Pierre-Paul is being called a "rare athlete" who has the most upside of any defensive end in this draft. Plus, when Al Davis sees him doing all those backflips on the YouTube video, it is over!

9. Buffalo Bills Dan Williams, NT, Tennessee: If Anthony Davis hadn't had such a spotty postseason he would be one to watch here along with QB Jimmy Clausen, but despite offensive line and offense being such a big need, Williams would give them a true NT to plug into their new 3-4 front.

10. Jacksonville Jaguars C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson: On the surface, you might think the Jaguars would rather take care of backup RB later in the draft but they are without a 2nd rounder and Spiller gives them another TD scorer in a division where offenses continue to improve. Do the Jags draft for defense or on offense to keep up with their division opponents?

11. Denver Broncos Earl Thomas, CB/FS, Texas: Tough call between Earl Thomas and McClain in this spot with both players having high football character. The Broncos need to add to their secondary and Thomas can come in and play safety or nickel CB for the Broncos.

12. Miami Dolphins Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State: The Dolphins need a pass rush badly, but they also need a playmaker at WR. On film, there is no doubt about Dez Bryant being one of the most talented players in this draft but now the Dolphins have to decide whether Dez's immaturity is something they can work with or if it is something that keeps him off their board.

13. San Francisco 49'ers Brandon Graham, DE, Michigan: The 49'ers have holes on offense and their secondary, but I see them looking at best available at a position of need here which happens to be pass rusher. Graham has the type of motor than Mike Singletary will love and he can come in and challenge for playing time right away.

14. Seattle Seahawks Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers:This is a tricky one. I have Seattle addressing defensive line with their first pick so I've got to turn my attention to tackle since Seattle won't draft again until the third round and the top offensive linemen could be off the board by then. Davis didn't test out as well as expected from an athletic standpoint so it will be interesting to see if they would still take him here. The idea that Gibbs won't be in favor of drafting a tackle in the first is flat-out wrong. If anything, he thinks tackles are the premium while RBs can be found later on.

15. New York Giants Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech: The Giants could reach on a left tackle here or they could take best player available. I'll go BPA. The Giants didn't get nearly enough from their pass rush last year and Morgan could be added to Mathias Kiwanuka and Justin Tuck at DE which would pave the way for Osi Umenyiora to move on.

16. Tennessee Titans Rolando McClain, LB, Alabama: The Titans need a defensive end, but McClain might be too tempting for the Titans to pass up on as the Titans continue to try and re-tool their defense after losing Haynesworth, Vanden Bosch and Bulluck.

17. San Francisco 49'ers Maurkice Pouncey, C, Florida: The Niners took care of the pass rush with Brandon Graham at #13 and now they get to address their offensive line which has to be upgraded if the 49'ers are serious about running the ball. Pouncey is more ready to step in and make an impact than Mike Iupati and he can play either guard or center.

18. Pittsburgh Steelers Joe Haden, CB, Florida: While everyone and their grandmothers have Mike Iupati here, I'm going to mix it up. The Steelers need help on the offensive line, but center is where they might need it the most and Pouncey just came off the board. Instead, I see the Steelers turning their attention to a player who can help them at cornerback. The Steelers secondary was atrocious over the second half of the season and they have to find players with better instincts to add to their secondary and that is what Haden brings to the table. Haden is very physical which Dick LeBeau and Mike Tomlin should love.

19. Atlanta Falcons Mike Iupati, LG, Idaho: While I'm sure the Falcons would like to add to the defensive side of the ball, Iupati gives them a chance to add a mauler in their interior line which is something the Falcons need since they don't want Michael Turner having to gain so many of his yards after early contact. Sean Weatherspoon would be another fit in this spot.

20. Houston Texans Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State: This is a very tough call between CB and Ryan Mathews, but there are some league sources who feel strongly that RBs will slip in this draft so I'm going CB here since slipping RBs would bode well for the Texans at 50. Wilson has better deep speed than Joe Haden and he's plenty aggressive. Ultimately, this selection boils down to the fact that I just don't trust Quin, Reeves or McCain in coverage enough to wait on CB in the second when Haden, Wilson or McCourty could come in and be their best CB almost immediately.

21. Cincinnati Bengals Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma: The Bengals are hoping and praying that Pouncey or Iupati fall to them, but when that doesn't materialize, they will have to turn to plan B which could very well be TE. Gresham is the best TE in this draft and should be able to come in and help the Bengals diversify their offense.

22. New England Patriots Sergio Kindle, OLB, Texas: The Patriots fell to 23rd in the league in sacks and their pass rush has to be upgraded at the OLB position. Kindle has the type of athleticism and explosiveness that the Pats loved when they drafted Jared Mayo and he will upgrade their defense against the run as well.

23. Green Bay Packers Jerry Hughes, DE, TCU: The Packers need to find a pass rusher opposite Clay Matthews and Hughes is the type of guy who is a great fit for what Dom Capers is looking for.

24. Philadelphia Eagles Sean Weatherspoon, LB, Missouri: Weatherspoon is actually a great fit for the Eagles as he's just the type of thumper they have needed for awhile.

25. Baltimore Ravens Devin McCourty, CB, Rutgers: There is no getting around the fact that the Ravens CB play wasn't good enough last year. While they like the potential of LaDarius Webb, they know they must upgrade and McCourty is a guy with great football character and the ability to dominate in punt-blocking and the return game on special teams.

26. Arizona Cardinals Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame: We all know that the Cardinals have shown little to no faith in Matt Leinart and while Clausen would be a luxury pick for them considering their other holes, this feels like the same type of scenario where the Packers felt like they just couldn't pass up on Aaron Rodgers.

27. Dallas Cowboys Taylor Mays, FS, USC: The Cowboys now have needs at tackle and free safety, but I'm going with safety over tackle here simply because I think Doug Free might be able to get it done at LT while the Cowboys can find a RT a little later in the draft. Mays can come in and help the Cowboys against the deep ball while also adding a little more physicality to their secondary.

28. San Diego Chargers Ryan Mathews, RB, Fresno State: If Mathews falls to the Chargers they would almost have to take him considering their tremendous need at this position. If Mathews is off the board, Jared Odrick or Rodger Saffold feel like very safe choices for the Chargers.

29. New York Jets DeMaryius Thomas, WR, Georgia Tech: While I could look at a pass rusher here like Everson Griffen, I'm going to focus on the offensive side of the ball where I think the Jets will want to add an offensive threat for QB Sanchez. Thomas has size and speed and the potential to turn into a #1 WR.

30. Minnesota Vikings Kareem Jackson, CB, Alabama: Jackson adds immediate depth to the secondary and will be in line to take over for Antoine Winfield in a couple of years.

31. Indianapolis Colts Rodger Saffold, LT, Indiana: The Colts offensive line was singled out by general manager Bill Polian as one of the areas of concern after the Colts lost the Super Bowl. While Charlie Johnson has done a nice job kicking out to left tackle, Saffold could be the Colts LT of the future and allow the Colts to bump Johnson back down inside.

32. New Orleans Saints Toby Gerhardt, RB, Stanford: It is hard to find too many glaring holes for the Saints so I'm going to put a goal-line sniffing, power runner with them to compliment Pierre Thomas. Gerhardt is very tough and he fits into the Saints running style.

birtikidis
04-14-2010, 04:46 PM
that could very well happen. I'd be ecstatic with Joe.

Sugar
04-14-2010, 04:54 PM
I'd be really happy with this pick as well. A top flight DB is needed this year, IMO.

hawaiiansteel
04-14-2010, 05:03 PM
unless we are willing to trade up for Joe Haden, it ain't gonna happen...no way Haden lasts until #18.

birtikidis
04-14-2010, 05:11 PM
I def. see the dolphins taking Haden now that they traded for Marshall. that would make sense to me.

NW Steeler
04-14-2010, 05:30 PM
I don't see the Broncos taking Thomas, so he goes to Miami.....in that scenario McClain goes to Denver....Haden could still be there. I think Buffalo drafts Clausen.

PSU_dropout43
04-14-2010, 05:35 PM
I def. see the dolphins taking Haden now that they traded for Marshall. that would make sense to me.
The Fins took Vontae Davis and Sean Smith last year. I can see them drafting FS Earl Thomas but not a CB.

skyhawk
04-14-2010, 05:35 PM
I am still for drafting the BPA.

Or Pouncey if I had to choose. :tt2

birtikidis
04-14-2010, 05:49 PM
The Fins took Vontae Davis and Sean Smith last year. I can see them drafting FS Earl Thomas but not a CB.
damn i forgot about that...

papillon
04-14-2010, 10:25 PM
unless we are willing to trade up for Joe Haden, it ain't gonna happen...no way Haden lasts until #18.

And, no way Pouncey is drafted at 1.17. No way, uh-huh, no way... :nono

Pappy