PDA

View Full Version : Sweed To Step Up

SidSmythe
04-14-2010, 03:12 PM
I am going on the record that Limas Sweed steps up this year and has a breakout season. He does not lack skill, he lacks concentration.
Personally I don't see him dropping anymore passes than Santonio did if given a chance

hawaiiansteel
04-14-2010, 03:15 PM
i'm definitely cheering for him! :tt1 :tt2

calmkiller
04-14-2010, 03:16 PM
SWEEEEEEEEEEEED!

Lebsteel
04-14-2010, 03:19 PM
I am going on the record that Limas Sweed steps up this year and has a breakout season. He does not lack skill, he lacks concentration.
Personally I don't see him dropping anymore passes than Santonio did if given a chance
Here's hoping that Sweed was one SMALL part of the reason the FO felt Holmes was expendable...

AngryAsian
04-14-2010, 03:28 PM
God I hope so!!! The size and physicality he could bring would really help us. Not holding my breath, last year I was already to jump on that bandwagon.

SidSmythe
04-14-2010, 03:31 PM
I'm going to be a SWEED defender b/c he's gotta step up this season or we are toast.

Take a look at Braylon Edwards!! He gets chance after chance to get open, only to end up dropping the ball. I think if you threw 100 balls to each Sweed and Edwards in a game, Sweed wouldn't have more drops than Edwards.

Sweed gets open...now he's just gotta finish!!

California-Steel
04-14-2010, 03:37 PM
Well one thing I would like to see is, that even if he drops a ball, leave him in there to redeem himself. How is he to build confidence if you bench him after every drop. It just magnifies each attempt after that and puts on more pressure. How about a pat on the butt and helping his confidence with a you'll catch the next one.

I know that if my boss was waiting and watching for my every mistake to suspend me I would not have a job because the pressure would force me into a mistake. Instead of concentrating on my job I would be concentrating on my boss and thinking about mistakes and not what is in front of me.

Let Sweed worry about each catch not what is going to happen if he drops a pass. Once he can stop worrying about the drops then the catches will come.

TD386Steel
04-14-2010, 03:42 PM
Common Sweed you can do it :tt1

SteelAbility
04-14-2010, 03:43 PM
A good portion of our hopes rest with Sweed consistently catching the ball!? I'm rootin' for it, but my fingers are seriously crossed here. :roll:

StarSpangledSteeler
04-14-2010, 03:44 PM
Well one thing I would like to see is, that even if he drops a ball, leave him in there to redeem himself. How is he to build confidence if you bench him after every drop. It just magnifies each attempt after that and puts on more pressure. How about a pat on the butt and helping his confidence with a you'll catch the next one.

I know that if my boss was waiting and watching for my every mistake to suspend me I would not have a job because the pressure would force me into a mistake. Instead of concentrating on my job I would be concentrating on my boss and thinking about mistakes and not what is in front of me.

Let Sweed worry about each catch not what is going to happen if he drops a pass. Once he can stop worrying about the drops then the catches will come.

Very good point.

RuthlessBurgher
04-14-2010, 04:33 PM
I'm going to be a SWEED defender b/c he's gotta step up this season or we are toast.

Take a look at Braylon Edwards!! He gets chance after chance to get open, only to end up dropping the ball. I think if you threw 100 balls to each Sweed and Edwards in a game, Sweed wouldn't have more drops than Edwards.

Sweed gets open...now he's just gotta finish!!

I wouldn't say we are necessarily toast if Sweed does not step up. After all, because Ward, Wallace, and Randle El will be our top 3, he will likely be battling with Arnaz Battle and a rookie for the 4th or 5th WR slots, so all is not lost if he happens to fail (but I will continue to root for him to succeed nonetheless!)

Sugar
04-14-2010, 04:52 PM
I would love to see Limas breakout this year. He can get open and block like Hines Jr. He just needs to do what WR's do- catch the ball.

I'm rooting for him. ARE and Battle are not an answer at all. As much as I'd like to see Wallace do well, I think we may see some drop off from him now that Holmes is gone and he'll be facing a better class of DB's.

feltdizz
04-14-2010, 07:06 PM
I have no faith in Sweed.... this way if he pans out it will be a big surprise.

He has the perfect last name to be a star... if he could just catch the freakin ball his life would change.

DukieBoy
04-14-2010, 07:25 PM
Let's go Sweed !!!

proudpittsburgher
04-15-2010, 08:46 AM
I would love to see it, I really would, but didn't we have this thread last offseason? I honestly can't see why so many people love this guy, when we have so many on this board who irrationally pick apart Ben's game. Oh well, it is what it is . . . LET'S GO SWEED!!!!!!!

RuthlessBurgher
04-15-2010, 09:20 AM
I would love to see it, I really would, but didn't we have this thread last offseason? I honestly can't see why so many people love this guy, when we have so many on this board who irrationally pick apart Ben's game. Oh well, it is what it is . . . LET'S GO SWEED!!!!!!!

Who irrationally picks apart Ben's game? I see more people on here whining about why Ben doesn't get mentioned in the same class as Peyton and Brady than people picking apart Ben's game.

What I never understood was why so many people who wanted to run a productive UDFA WR out of Tifflin out of town as fast as possible are giving an unproductuve 2nd round WR out of Texas their unconditional support. Personally, I support(ed) them both, but that particular dynamic confused me.

frankthetank1
04-15-2010, 11:10 AM

Who irrationally picks apart Ben's game? I see more people on here whining about why Ben doesn't get mentioned in the same class as Peyton and Brady than people picking apart Ben's game.

What I never understood was why so many people who wanted to run a productive UDFA WR out of Tifflin out of town as fast as possible are giving an unproductuve 2nd round WR out of Texas their unconditional support. Personally, I support(ed) them both, but that particular dynamic confused me.

that is pretty odd to me as well. so many people wanted nate gone even though he wasn't drafted and wasn't suppose to be any good. i guess its because we spent a 2nd on sweed but that really shouldnt matter.

im really pulling for sweed but i doubt he gets past his dropsies. he has all the physical tools, he always gets open. if only he could close the deal and make the catch. hopefully he goes off in TC and has a great preseason

proudpittsburgher
04-15-2010, 12:12 PM

"He holds onto the ball too long", "he doesn't hit the hot reciever", "he always looks for the play downfield", "He doesn't read defenses correctly" etc. I called it irrational because those people come out of the woodwork on a game where Ben throws for 400 yards and 3 TDs and the Steelers win. All of the "Yea but . . ." arguments. All of them are realistic criticisms of our QB, but I guess what my point was is that Sweed has been given many, many opportunities to succeed, and has failed most of them. Not, all, but most. And people on this board can be really hard on players, like Ben for instance. FWP., when people wanted RM to start as a rookie while Willie was still in the midst of great seasons production wise. I just don't know why so many seem to be willing to give Sweed so many chances. I personally hope the light switch turns on, but I just don't see it happening.

feltdizz
04-15-2010, 01:20 PM
I pick Ben's game apart because he is the QB... it's what most fans do with their team.
Let's be real.. Ben is great but he has ugly spells and takes a ton of sacks. There is nothing wrong with asking how we can keep Ben on his feet so we can win as many games as possible. My question has always been is why it's not OK to critique Ben... or those perceiving "check down more" as "bench him" or "better without him"

Every player, especially the QB, should be critiqued since they touch the ball every play.

As far as Sweed is concerned.. I have no idea why he is golden and has HUGE upside while the guy like Nate was a scrub in their eyes. Maybe it's due to high draft picks.....As long as the guy produces I could care less where he is drafted or if he is a undrafted.

Ghost
04-15-2010, 03:01 PM
If Sweed doesn't produce then the Steelers haven't lost anything (on the field) because he's never given them anything. It's status quo.

If the Steelers bring in a legit WR with a chance to make the team I'll be rooting for him just as much as Sweed. Sweed having been here means nothing. Give me the guy who can actually contribute. Last name on the back of the jersey is irrelevant.