PDA

View Full Version : I want the Steelers to draft Tim Tebow!

Dee Dub
04-14-2010, 11:32 AM
Seriously. This guy is a winner. He is as hard a worker as there is. He is dedicated to making himself the best he can be. He has already improved many things about his mechanics this off season and it has come from being dedicated and working hard.

I believe if he is put in the right situation....he is going to an above average QB.

And if this team is going to keep Ben...this is as good of a message to him as there is.

...and if they aren't....two first round picks (possibly 3), sure could go a long way to get this defense back to being the best in the league.

frankthetank1
04-14-2010, 11:36 AM
Seriously. This guy is a winner. He is as hard a worker as there is. He is dedicated to making himself the best he can be. He has already improved many things about his mechanics this off season and it has come from being dedicated and working hard.

I believe if he is put in the right situation....he is going to an above average QB.

And if this team is going to keep Ben...this is as good of a message to him as there is.

...and if they aren't....two first round picks (possibly 3), sure could go a long way to get this defense back to being the best in the league.

where would you want them to draft tebow? that makes a big difference. you are right about him improving on his mechanics. in all the workouts i have seen of tebow has improved even since last season. do you think he will still be available in the 3rd round? it doesnt make sense using a high draft pick for a #2 potentially #3 qb

birtikidis
04-14-2010, 11:39 AM
I'm torn on Tebow.
I agree with everything you said. I think he's going to develop into a great player. and I actually think Pittsburgh is one of the best places he could go. He'd have time to develop here... and hell everyone knows I'm a gator fan. plus I'd be stoked to have actually met the qb of the pittsburgh steelers (I met him in gainesville and in bronson Fl.)
BUT, there are at least 4 players I'd take ahead of him... Thomas, Pouncey, and Weatherspoon, and Wilson (I think the others, like haden, mclain and so on will be gone)....

Dee Dub
04-14-2010, 11:39 AM

where would you want them to draft tebow? that makes a big difference. you are right about him improving on his mechanics. in all the workouts i have seen of tebow has improved even since last season. do you think he will still be available in the 3rd round? it doesnt make sense using a high draft pick for a #2 potentially #3 qb

Second round.

Go look at Steve Young when he came out of BYU. No one had a clue he was going to be what he turned out to be. He didnt have the best mechanics and his arm strength was average at best. And Tim is just as elusive and as hard working as Young was.

birtikidis
04-14-2010, 11:40 AM

Tebow is going up the boards. teams love how hard he works, how mature he is and how much he loves the game. improving his mechanics, IMO, only cemented him as a late 1st early 2nd round qb.

Jom112
04-14-2010, 11:41 AM
I want you guys to draft Tim Tebow as well... :lol:

Dee Dub
04-14-2010, 11:42 AM
I'm torn on Tebow.
I agree with everything you said. I think he's going to develop into a great player. and I actually think Pittsburgh is one of the best places he could go. He'd have time to develop here... and hell everyone knows I'm a gator fan. plus I'd be stoked to have actually met the qb of the pittsburgh steelers (I met him in gainesville and in bronson Fl.)
BUT, there are at least 4 players I'd take ahead of him... Thomas, Pouncey, and Weatherspoon, and Wilson (I think the others, like haden, mclain and so on will be gone)....

What if the 49ers offered the Steelers their two first round picks (13th and 17th), for Ben Roethlisberger? With those 3 first rounders couldnt you get all those other players you want?

Build a great team around Tebow where he doesnt have to carry the team....I kind of like his odds with that. Seem to remember a formula like that before????

BradshawsHairdresser
04-14-2010, 11:42 AM

:Agree

frankthetank1
04-14-2010, 11:46 AM
[quote="Dee Dub":1yhuvsuz]Seriously. This guy is a winner. He is as hard a worker as there is. He is dedicated to making himself the best he can be. He has already improved many things about his mechanics this off season and it has come from being dedicated and working hard.

Second round.

Go look at Steve Young when he came out of BYU. No one had a clue he was going to be what he turned out to be. He didnt have the best mechanics and his arm strength was average at best. And Tim is just as elusive and as hard working as Young was.[/quote:1yhuvsuz]

do you think they would have to trade up in the second to get him? young is a very bold comparison. that is a lot to spend on a back up qb. i dont like that move at all with all the needs on defense. we do have 11 picks so i guess it is possible to make some moves and get two second round picks. a qb has to be one of the lowest priority positions on the roster right now. if ben was getting charged it might be a different story

birtikidis
I'm torn on Tebow.

What if the 49ers offered the Steelers their two first round picks (13th and 17th), for Ben Roethlisberger? With those 3 first rounders couldnt you get all those other players you want?

Build a great team around Tebow where he doesnt have to carry the team....I kind of like his odds with that. Seem to remember a formula like that before????

I think that would be possible.... the money wouldn't really be a problem (considering you'd be unloading a 100M contract). Thing is that kind of neutralizes what makes Pittsburgh a safe place for Tebow. Sitting behind a great qb for 2-3 years (like young did in SF), would allow him to develop and keep him free from pressure..

Dee Dub

He'd be better than that stiff Carson Palmer. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dee Dub
04-14-2010, 11:50 AM
I'm torn on Tebow.

I think that would be possible.... the money wouldn't really be a problem (considering you'd be unloading a 100M contract). Thing is that kind of neutralizes what makes Pittsburgh a safe place for Tebow. Sitting behind a great qb for 2-3 years (like young did in SF), would allow him to develop and keep him free from pressure..

As a Gator fan you of all people gotta know this guys make up. In his 4 years at UF and all the big games this guy played in, you really think he would have a problem with pressure?? If Ben Roethlisberger from the University of Miami Ohio can can come in year one and succeed...you better believe that if the Steelers got back to power football and great defense..Tim Tebow could do it too.

NW Steeler
04-14-2010, 11:51 AM
The Steelers are not going to trade Ben. Be careful for what you wish!

frankthetank1
04-14-2010, 11:51 AM
I'm torn on Tebow.

now you lost me :lol:

trade ben?? he has two sb rings. tebow has zero. that is too big of a gamble to take. it is so hard to win a sb let alone multiple without an elite qb. sure you have some guys like trent dilfer and doug williams but they are few and far between.

Dee Dub
04-14-2010, 11:53 AM
I'm torn on Tebow.

now you lost me :lol:

trade ben?? he has two sb rings. tebow has zero. that is too big of a gamble to take. it is so hard to win a sb let alone multiple without an elite qb. sure you have some guys like trent dilfer and doug williams but they are few and far between.

I didnt say that. I said what if the 49ers offered their 2 first rounders for Ben. That gives the Steelers 3 first round picks. I think they could build a tremendous team around even a young inexperienced QB.

We saw this happen before in Ben's rookie year.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-14-2010, 11:55 AM
I have a feeling if the Jags make one trade down out of #10...Tebow will go in the 1st to the Jags. They will try to back track as much as possible but if they get stuck with a pick in the 1st...I think it will be him. Worrying about ticket sales over grade of athlete might get them in trouble on this one. Just take Tebow ahead of #18...Give us something good to chew on!!!

Dee Dub
04-14-2010, 11:55 AM
Here's what a true NFL expert has to say about Tebow. An expert with no agenda here...

Gruden: Tebow a first-round pick

Jon Gruden believes Tim Tebow has the talent to make teams regret leaving him on the draft board. "Somebody with a down-the-road philosophy or vision for him will take him, and take him earlier than some people expect," Gruden said. After working out Tebow, Gruden said he's not surprised by Tebow's ability or knowledge of the game. Tebow already knew the terminology for many NFL offenses before they met, Gruden said. "Nothing really surprises me other than there are a lot more doubters than maybe I expected," Gruden said. "Tim's transition to more of a conventional NFL style has drawn a lot of questions from people, whether he can make the modifications in his passing delivery and adapt to playing under center ... What I'm really impressed with is the way he sits on the edge of his chair and his work ethic and relentlessness to become great is really second to nobody."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/m ... ?eref=sihp (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/morning-jolt/04/14/gruden-tebow/index.html?eref=sihp)

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-14-2010, 11:56 AM
Here's what a true NFL expert has to say about Tebow. An expert with no agenda here...

Jon Gruden believes Tim Tebow has the talent to make teams regret leaving him on the draft board. "Somebody with a down-the-road philosophy or vision for him will take him, and take him earlier than some people expect," Gruden said. After working out Tebow, Gruden said he's not surprised by Tebow's ability or knowledge of the game. Tebow already knew the terminology for many NFL offenses before they met, Gruden said. "Nothing really surprises me other than there are a lot more doubters than maybe I expected," Gruden said. "Tim's transition to more of a conventional NFL style has drawn a lot of questions from people, whether he can make the modifications in his passing delivery and adapt to playing under center ... What I'm really impressed with is the way he sits on the edge of his chair and his work ethic and relentlessness to become great is really second to nobody."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/m ... ?eref=sihp (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/morning-jolt/04/14/gruden-tebow/index.html?eref=sihp)
Gil Brandt loves him too.

SteelBucks
04-14-2010, 11:57 AM
I'm torn on Tebow.

Heaven help us if we need to start building a team around Tim Tebow.

Dee Dub
04-14-2010, 11:59 AM
[quote="Dee Dub":1mm5q98m]Here's what a true NFL expert has to say about Tebow. An expert with no agenda here...

Gil Brandt loves him too.[/quote:1mm5q98m]

Why wouldnt you? In college he did exactly what he was asked to do. Had their offensive philosophy been different...more pass oriented..more of a pro style offense...you can bet he'd be the number 1 QB in this years board. That's my opinion.

Dee Dub
04-14-2010, 12:01 PM
I'm torn on Tebow.

Heaven help us if we need to start building a team around Tim Tebow.

Funny...over at the Trib before we drafted Ben Roethlisberger there where some who had this same opinion about Ben or even Phillip Rivers.

...and there was this one poster there...cant remember who...that kept insisting Ben should and could start from day one. Hmmmmmmmmmm???

And I think the same of Tebow. :wink:

NW Steeler
04-14-2010, 12:02 PM
I'm gonna go ultra positive here. I'm saying that Ben NEVER has another public indiscretion for the remainder of his career, gets married and becomes a good family man, involves himself even more in charitable organizations and wins at least one or two more more SB's. In another decade, we will be talking about whether or not our backup will be capable of stepping in for Ben when he retires.

:tt2

Jom112
04-14-2010, 12:04 PM

He'd be better than that stiff Carson Palmer. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:moon

@CinBengalsNFL Palmer says tebow will get drafted in first round

QB's know other QB's. Palmer said Matt Stafford would go #1 overall before his last season at Georgia...

cruzer8
04-14-2010, 12:13 PM
No to Tebow.

As he starts to wear down during his workouts he reverts back to his old form.

Let some other team waste a pick on him.

steelernation77
04-14-2010, 12:16 PM
that would just push this offseason from being bad to horrific

birtikidis
04-14-2010, 12:25 PM
[quote=birtikidis]I'm torn on Tebow.

As a Gator fan you of all people gotta know this guys make up. In his 4 years at UF and all the big games this guy played in, you really think he would have a problem with pressure?? If Ben Roethlisberger from the University of Miami Ohio can can come in year one and succeed...you better believe that if the Steelers got back to power football and great defense..Tim Tebow could do it too.[/quote:u1wlxxen]
I do know tebows make up. that's why I say he needs to sit for at least 2 years before he becomes a starter. you only focus on the pressure aspect. and that's true, he can take the pressure. except for the fact that he would still have terrible mechanics and not be ready to be the starter. so, the pressure he would face would be getting cut from playing like crap and being labled as a bust.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-14-2010, 12:25 PM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":1yhy1cgd][quote="Dee Dub":1yhy1cgd]Here's what a true NFL expert has to say about Tebow. An expert with no agenda here...

Gil Brandt loves him too.[/quote:1yhy1cgd]

Why wouldnt you? In college he did exactly what he was asked to do. Had their offensive philosophy been different...more pass oriented..more of a pro style offense...you can bet he'd be the number 1 QB in this years board. That's my opinion.[/quote:1yhy1cgd]
Have to love his character and his intelligence. I think the release isn't a concern as much as the style of offense he played in.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-14-2010, 12:27 PM
I'm gonna go ultra positive here. I'm saying that Ben NEVER has another public discretion for the remainder of his career, gets married and becomes a good family man, involves himself even more in charitable organizations and wins at least one or two more more SB's. In another decade, we will be talking about whether or not our backup will be capable of stepping in for Ben when he retires.

:tt2

Here's to hoping for the same. :Cheers

steelernation77
04-14-2010, 12:28 PM
Tebow isn't a good passer and is not going to be able to run over people in the NFL on a consistent basis. I don't get why people are so enamored with him. I get it, he won a NC, so have a lot of QBs. How'd Eric Crouch do at QB in the NFL?

Dee Dub
04-14-2010, 12:32 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":3gip0iot][quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":3gip0iot][quote="Dee Dub":3gip0iot]Here's what a true NFL expert has to say about Tebow. An expert with no agenda here...

Gil Brandt loves him too.[/quote:3gip0iot]

Why wouldnt you? In college he did exactly what he was asked to do. Had their offensive philosophy been different...more pass oriented..more of a pro style offense...you can bet he'd be the number 1 QB in this years board. That's my opinion.[/quote:3gip0iot]
Have to love his character and his intelligence. I think the release isn't a concern as much as the style of offense he played in.[/quote:3gip0iot]

Agreed. The mechanics issue is and issue however..even with not the greatest mechanics..Tebow still has shown the ability to get the ball where it needs to go.

Phillip Rivers didint have great mechanics...or at least that was the knock on him coming out of NC State.

If the learning of the offense is an issue you simply do what you did for Ben. And again...you can not tell me that Tebow is less than Ben when it comes to NFL preparedness.

Dee Dub
04-14-2010, 12:36 PM
Tebow isn't a good passer and is not going to be able to run over people in the NFL on a consistent basis. I don't get why people are so enamored with him. I get it, he won a NC, so have a lot of QBs. How'd Eric Crouch do at QB in the NFL?

I dont get why some cant get past their dislike for him. Why do you say he isnt a good passer? At UF he wasnt asked to be a good/great passer. The style of offense at UF was designed around the run game (spread-run offense).

I'll take Jon Gruden's opinion of him as QB over yours.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-14-2010, 12:37 PM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":2ghfv30u][quote="Dee Dub":2ghfv30u][quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":2ghfv30u][quote="Dee Dub":2ghfv30u]Here's what a true NFL expert has to say about Tebow. An expert with no agenda here...

Gil Brandt loves him too.[/quote:2ghfv30u]

Why wouldnt you? In college he did exactly what he was asked to do. Had their offensive philosophy been different...more pass oriented..more of a pro style offense...you can bet he'd be the number 1 QB in this years board. That's my opinion.[/quote:2ghfv30u]
Have to love his character and his intelligence. I think the release isn't a concern as much as the style of offense he played in.[/quote:2ghfv30u]

Agreed. The mechanics issue is and issue however..even with not the greatest mechanics..Tebow still has shown the ability to get the ball where it needs to go.

Phillip Rivers didint have great mechanics...or at least that was the knock on him coming out of NC State.

If the learning of the offense is an issue you simply do what you did for Ben. And again...you can not tell me that Tebow is less than Ben when it comes to NFL preparedness.[/quote:2ghfv30u]
I would actually give the edge to Tebow in that regard coming out. Elite level of comp.

birtikidis
04-14-2010, 12:37 PM

I dont get why some cant get past their dislike for him. Why do you say he isnt a good passer? At UF he wasnt asked to be a good/great passer. The style of offense at UF was designed around the run game (spread-run offense).

Dub, people don't like him because how much the broadcasters talked about him. It's like hearing a song on the radio too much. I love tebow.. always will. I'd love for him to be a Steeler.

ikestops85
04-14-2010, 12:39 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":6qg4nap5][quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":6qg4nap5][quote="Dee Dub":6qg4nap5]Here's what a true NFL expert has to say about Tebow. An expert with no agenda here...

Gil Brandt loves him too.[/quote:6qg4nap5]

Why wouldnt you? In college he did exactly what he was asked to do. Had their offensive philosophy been different...more pass oriented..more of a pro style offense...you can bet he'd be the number 1 QB in this years board. That's my opinion.[/quote:6qg4nap5]
Have to love his character and his intelligence. I think the release isn't a concern as much as the style of offense he played in.[/quote:6qg4nap5]

I can't figure Tebow out. He seems smart, works hard, is a leader, shows tremendous heart and is a winner. These are normally the traits I fall in love with but since Tebow is a QB I think he needs some skills like arm strength and accuracy. Accuracy is the one which bothers me the most. A smart QB can get by with average arm strength but if you are not accurate this league wil eat you alive. This is probably the reason I would take a pass on Tebow.

NW Steeler
04-14-2010, 12:42 PM
I think there is a zero percent chance that we draft Tebow. We are not going to carry 4 QB's on the roster.

Dee Dub
04-14-2010, 12:43 PM

Dub, people don't like him because how much the broadcasters talked about him. It's like hearing a song on the radio too much. I love tebow.. always will. I'd love for him to be a Steeler.

I hear ya. I cant help but go back to Steve Young. He really wasnt that great of a passer himself. Yet he was a winner who worked hard. He found himself in a wide open BYU offense and learned how to pass. Gets to the Niners and learns the West-Coast offense. Shorter routes, quicker reads, and get the ball out sooner. Same can be said of Kurt Warner. He goes to the Arena League and was forced to learn how to get rid of the ball quicker and into a smaller target.

You put Tebow into the right position he will adapt, overcome, and excel. It is in his DNA.

Dee Dub
04-14-2010, 12:45 PM
[
I can't figure Tebow out. He seems smart, works hard, is a leader, shows tremendous heart and is a winner. These are normally the traits I fall in love with but since Tebow is a QB I think he needs some skills like arm strength and accuracy. Accuracy is the one which bothers me the most. A smart QB can get by with average arm strength but if you are not accurate this league wil eat you alive. This is probably the reason I would take a pass on Tebow.

See Steve Young early on. No arm strength and was put into an offense that made him an accurate passer.

MeetJoeGreene
04-14-2010, 12:48 PM
For some reason, I am not a Tebow fan (when it comes to being a quarterback).

Great person, great worker.

I just don't think he will be a good NFL QB.

I don't have anything concrete to base that on - just my "feeling".

RussBII
04-14-2010, 12:56 PM

That's one reason I don't like the guy. The inevitable slurp fest that will follow him wherever he goes. I also worry about a guy like that potentially dividing the locker with his faith. That last reason is totally supposition though. I just know I'm not religious at all and when folks assume I am, or attempt to sway me towards their faith, it bothers me to no end.

That aside, if we draft him, and he wears black and gold, I'll cheer for him.

steelernation77
04-14-2010, 01:05 PM

He has poor mechanics. What makes you so sure he can be a good passer? You said earlier that Rivers had poor mechanics, what a terrible comparison. Rivers was a record-setting passer in college. Tebow has not shown anything as one.

Gruden is friends with Urban Meyer. After he retired he hung around Gator practices. If Tebow gets drafted high it'll make Meyer's job recruiting QBs into his system easier.

Let's not forget that if you watched any of Gruden in the booth last season you'd know that he never has a bad thing to say about any player.

birtikidis
04-14-2010, 01:08 PM

That's one reason I don't like the guy. The inevitable slurp fest that will follow him wherever he goes. I also worry about a guy like that potentially dividing the locker with his faith. That last reason is totally supposition though. I just know I'm not religious at all and when folks assume I am, or attempt to sway me towards their faith, it bothers me to no end.

isn't a slurp fest better than a bash fest?

birtikidis
04-14-2010, 01:08 PM

He has poor mechanics. What makes you so sure he can be a good passer? You said earlier that Rivers had poor mechanics, what a terrible comparison. Rivers was a record-setting passer in college. Tebow has not shown anything as one.

Gruden is friends with Urban Meyer. After he retired he hung around Gator practices. If Tebow gets drafted high it'll make Meyer's job recruiting QBs into his system easier.

Let's not forget that if you watched any of Gruden in the booth last season you'd know that he never has a bad thing to say about any player.
you're arguements are way off base. Tebow was a good passer in college. why didn't he have number? usually it was because we were up by 40 in the third and John Brantley got to finish the game from that point.

Dee Dub
04-14-2010, 01:09 PM

Steeler fans are always complaining about how the Steelers get no love. Put Tebow on this team and he becomes the starter and all of a suddden the Steelers are media darling. Bank on it.

steelernation77
04-14-2010, 01:12 PM

you're arguements are way off base. Tebow was a good passer in college. why didn't he have number? usually it was because we were up by 40 in the third and John Brantley got to finish the game from that point.

Tebow was usually throwing to wide open receivers in college. His accuracy was not impressive at all. He was a system QB that was surrounded by the fastest team in the NCAA.

birtikidis
04-14-2010, 01:14 PM

Tebow was usually throwing to wide open receivers in college. His accuracy was not impressive at all. He was a system QB that was surrounded by the fastest team in the NCAA.
he also played against some of the best defenses in all of college football. and this past year... he didn't have ANY good Wr's except Riley Cooper... Hernendez was good too... but tebow had NO run game to speak of other than himself.

JAR
04-14-2010, 01:15 PM
http://planetsmilies.net/vomit-smiley-31.gif

Dee Dub
04-14-2010, 01:30 PM
He has poor mechanics. No one is arguing this point. We are all in agreement. However he has already in a short period of time shown to have the moxie to change some of this.

What makes you so sure he can be a good passer? You said earlier that Rivers had poor mechanics, what a terrible comparison. Rivers was a record-setting passer in college. Tebow has not shown anything as one.

What do you think would have been said of Rivers with his mechanics had he played in a spread-run offense at NC State?

I am not saying Tebow will become a great passer in the NFL. What I am saying is this...I think that Tebow has the work ethic to become a solid/descent passer in the NFL. And with everything else he brings..I think that will make him a winner.

steelernation77
04-14-2010, 01:34 PM
He has poor mechanics. No one is arguing this point. We are all in agreement. However he has already in a short period of time shown to have the moxie to change some of this.

What makes you so sure he can be a good passer? You said earlier that Rivers had poor mechanics, what a terrible comparison. Rivers was a record-setting passer in college. Tebow has not shown anything as one.

What do you think would have been said of Rivers with his mechanics had he played in a spread-run offense at NC State?

I am not saying Tebow will become a great passer in the NFL. What I am saying is this...I think that Tebow has the work ethic to become a solid/descent passer in the NFL. And with everything else he brings..I think that will make him a winner.

Rivers didn't play in a system like that though. He was a proven commodity. He was widely regarded as the most NFL ready out of any of the QBs available that year. Tebow is not any of those things. He is way too unproven as a passer to draft in the first round.

Dee Dub
04-14-2010, 01:43 PM

Rivers didn't play in a system like that though. He was a proven commodity. He was widely regarded as the most NFL ready out of any of the QBs available that year. Tebow is not any of those things. He is way too unproven as a passer to draft in the first round.

I realize that. But answer my question. What do you think would have been said of Rivers with his mechanics had he played in a spread-run offense at NC State?

SteelAbility
04-14-2010, 01:47 PM
that would just push this offseason from being bad to horrific

You mean it's not horrific now?

WoodleyofTroy
04-14-2010, 01:53 PM
It's possible they target Tebow. If the Steelers are going to go out of their way to send a message, then the draft should reflect that by, going out of their way to find character guys.

I wouldn't mind him on this team one bit.

Steel Life
04-14-2010, 01:55 PM
BTW...Steve Young was a record-setting QB at BYU who was second in the Heisman voting that year & won the Davey O'Brien trophy as the best nation's best QB. He was then selected #1 by the expansion USFL & then by the Bucs when the USFL went bust - hardly what DD described.

Look, no one doubts his dedication, but to say that is the reason he will succeed is naive...after all, guys like Ty Detmer & Danny Wuerfel were pretty dedicated too. The fact is that he just doesn't make decisions fast enough & doesn't have the arm to make up the difference. He'll be a great #2 guy though...

RussBII
04-14-2010, 02:04 PM

Steeler fans are always complaining about how the Steelers get no love. Put Tebow on this team and he becomes the starter and all of a suddden the Steelers are media darling. Bank on it.

Not I, sir. I think the team implodes with too much attention. And there's a difference between hoping they show our highlights and having to surgically remove announcer's mouths from Tebow's posterior (best case).

steelernation77
04-14-2010, 02:09 PM
[quote=steelernation77]

I realize that. But answer my question. What do you think would have been said of Rivers with his mechanics had he played in a spread-run offense at NC State?[/quote:1hv37mrt]

That's moot. Of course he wouldn't have been drafted as high because he wouldn't have passed. That argument is a straw-man. The point is, Tebow has poor mechanics and is unproven as a passer. Those two things are enough not to draft him in the first round.

birtikidis
04-14-2010, 02:09 PM
BTW...Steve Young was a record-setting QB at BYU who was second in the Heisman voting that year & won the Davey O'Brien trophy as the best nation's best QB. He was then selected #1 by the expansion USFL & then by the Bucs when the USFL went bust - hardly what DD described.

Look, no one doubts his dedication, but to say that is the reason he will succeed is naive...after all, guys like Ty Detmer & Danny Wuerfel were pretty dedicated too. The fact is that he just doesn't make decisions fast enough & doesn't have the arm to make up the difference. He'll be a great #2 guy though...
so young finsihed second in hiesman voting.. good for him. tebow finished in the top 3 on three seperate occasions and won it as a sophmore. he also won a national championship as a full time starter. he also has several SEC records that may never get broken. And Danny and Ty were no where NEAR as dedicated as Tim is. He lives and breaths football.

Dee Dub
04-14-2010, 02:11 PM

I think you missed the point about Young. He never had the big arm. And early on he wasnt the accurate passer he later became. He was a huge product of his offenses. Look at his numbers at Tampa Bay. 53.7% completion and a 65.5 passer rating in his first year as a starter there. In 1988 when he was forced to step in for an injured Montana with the 49ers he was at 53.5% completions and 72.2 as a passer rating. He was a work in progress early on.

Sure he let it up at BYU...but what was the type of offense they ran there?

We knock Tebow but we dont even consider what was asked of him at UF? Makes no sense.

birtikidis
04-14-2010, 02:13 PM
[quote=steelernation77]

I realize that. But answer my question. What do you think would have been said of Rivers with his mechanics had he played in a spread-run offense at NC State?

That's moot. Of course he wouldn't have been drafted as high because he wouldn't have passed. That argument is a straw-man. The point is, Tebow has poor mechanics and is unproven as a passer. Those two things are enough not to draft him in the first round.[/quote:3l7xiysc]
I disagree, Tebow had a number of near 300 yard games (I believe it was 8, but I'll have to look it up when i get time) the past two seasons. I point to those number because those are all games that he didn't play the 4th quarter.

Dee Dub
04-14-2010, 02:16 PM
[quote=steelernation77]

That's moot. Of course he wouldn't have been drafted as high because he wouldn't have passed. That argument is a straw-man. The point is, Tebow has poor mechanics and is unproven as a passer. Those two things are enough not to draft him in the first round.[/quote:2jw5u8fo]

Moot?? Hardly. For what you knock Tebow for you concede the same would have been said about Rivers had he been asked to run the spread-run offense...a Qb who also had poor mechanics coming out of college.

Wow....

eniparadoxgma
04-14-2010, 02:22 PM
Funny...over at the Trib before we drafted Ben Roethlisberger there where some who had this same opinion about Ben or even Phillip Rivers.

...and there was this one poster there...cant remember who...that kept insisting Ben should and could start from day one. Hmmmmmmmmmm???

And I think the same of Tebow. :wink:

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/101/congratulationgraphics2d.gif (http://img685.imageshack.us/i/congratulationgraphics2d.gif/)

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/5931/congratulationsf.jpg (http://img210.imageshack.us/i/congratulationsf.jpg/)

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/9884/a1af91fd22bb4a3daef7be2.jpg (http://img89.imageshack.us/i/a1af91fd22bb4a3daef7be2.jpg/)

calmkiller
04-14-2010, 03:14 PM

shud try finding the worst thing that you could drink n kill urself :lol:

AngryAsian
04-14-2010, 03:24 PM

I can't believe I'm saying this... I agree whole-heartedly!!! I love Tebow's work ethic. He's a Steeler kind of guy.

SteelAbility
04-14-2010, 03:52 PM
I'd like to see Tebow but only if Ben's future with the Steelers unravels. Plus, no higher than the 2nd.

feltdizz
04-14-2010, 07:20 PM

so young finsihed second in hiesman voting.. good for him. tebow finished in the top 3 on three seperate occasions and won it as a sophmore. he also won a national championship as a full time starter. he also has several SEC records that may never get broken. And Danny and Ty were no where NEAR as dedicated as Tim is. He lives and breaths football.

This is why people can't stand Tebow... statements like this are crazy IMO. He breathes football and no one is as dedicated as Tim Tebow except for Tyler Hansbrough when he was at UNC.

The reporters say it so much that people talk about Tebow like they were at his pee wee practices... how do we know Tebow works harder then anyone else? Is it because he won a ton of games and never handed off at the goal line for 3 years?

The guy is a beast of a player but as an NFL QB I don't see it.

Big Ben was called lazy and a lousy practice QB and he is amazing on Sundays...

birtikidis
04-14-2010, 07:54 PM

This is why people can't stand Tebow... statements like this are crazy IMO. He breathes football and no one is as dedicated as Tim Tebow except for Tyler Hansbrough when he was at UNC.

The reporters say it so much that people talk about Tebow like they were at his pee wee practices... how do we know Tebow works harder then anyone else? Is it because he won a ton of games and never handed off at the goal line for 3 years?

well, felt, it sounds to me like you are one of those "id rather be ignorant than have my way of seeing things change" so, good luck with that

spyboots
04-14-2010, 08:06 PM
No!

birtikidis
04-14-2010, 08:07 PM
No!
what is ben trying to take you back to a private bathroom?

feltdizz
04-14-2010, 08:10 PM

well, felt, it sounds to me like you are one of those "id rather be ignorant than have my way of seeing things change" so, good luck with that

why is it ignorant to doubt Tebow as an NFL QB?

More guys fail then succeed at the NFL level so why is it so ignorant to doubt a player who looks average when the rush is on and the windows are tighter then normal?

I have watched Tebow a ton and he was tuck and run a LB over for the majority of his career at UF.

If Tebow pans out then I'm wrong... but saying a person is ignorant for not believing in Tebow at the NFL level is precisely the reason so many people despise Tebow.

Fans act like doubting Tebow is doubting Jesus...

birtikidis
04-14-2010, 08:24 PM
ignorance is bliss felt.
it's alright man. we get it.

stlrz d
04-14-2010, 08:54 PM
5 pages...really?

Oh, and no to Tebow.

feltdizz
04-14-2010, 09:03 PM
Against the better competition he was not impressive this year..

and I don't want a player who cries after every loss.

birtikidis
04-14-2010, 11:34 PM

the only game tebow cried about was teh SEC championship game b.c he knew it cost him a chance at the national championship. so.. if you don't want a guy who is so passionate about losing (essentially) the AFC championship game... have fun with that.

AngryAsian
04-14-2010, 11:54 PM

I get most of the brethren's assertion on this subject topic, no thanks. But I can remember people on this board wanting to draft Tyler Palko... this board is loaded with Big 10 enthusiasts... Birt, Ovi, Fla, and I are just some of the Floridian representation and have seen first hand what Tebow brings as far as work ethic, drive and locker room inspiration he's brought to a team. In a league full of me-first characters, Tebow is all about the team.

WoodleyofTroy
04-15-2010, 12:28 AM
5 pages...really?

Oh, and no to Tebow.

you're suppose to add "hope that helps"..

Steel Life
04-15-2010, 12:29 AM

I get most of the brethren's assertion on this subject topic, no thanks. But I can remember people on this board wanting to draft Tyler Palko... this board is loaded with Big 10 enthusiasts... Birt, Ovi, Fla, and I are just some of the Floridian representation and have seen first hand what Tebow brings as far as work ethic, drive and locker room inspiration he's brought to a team. In a league full of me-first characters, Tebow is all about the team.
I'm from Florida (Delray) & I'm with Dizz on this...

feltdizz
04-15-2010, 01:56 PM

umm... not to be rude but that makes zero sense. What does Tebow bring that the rest of the nation can't see? We watch him play 8 to 10 games every year at the least and when he is forced to pass he wasn't impressive at all.

Percy Harvin and that double option with the TE shovel pass made Tebow look really good.
When you take away all the gadgets Urban Meyer has and he has to take a snap from center and make reads he is slow to get the ball out.

He padded his stats a lot at UF. Look at the number of RB's with TD's inside the 5 the last 3 years.. Tebow run up the gut was unstoppable and so was the jump pass.. but unless he is a FB in the NFL those plays will get him sideline time in a hurry.

I think he will be a great football player... but QB? Not so sure about that...

birtikidis
04-15-2010, 02:15 PM
Felt your arguement is retarded. it's obvious you didn't watch Gator games. Tebow RARELY played in the 4th quarter due to large leads. He never padded his stats. and you say he never accomplished anything... right, he's only 2nd in yards passing in SEC history. and like i said before in the past two years there were 8 games he didn't even play in the 4th quarter(i still haven't researched it recently, but i remember making htis arguement right after the season when I had researched it)!

Dee Dub
04-15-2010, 02:34 PM
Felt your arguement is retarded. it's obvious you didn't watch Gator games. Tebow RARELY played in the 4th quarter due to large leads. He never padded his stats. and you say he never accomplished anything... right, he's only 2nd in yards passing in SEC history. and like i said before in the past two years there were 8 games he didn't even play in the 4th quarter(i still haven't researched it recently, but i remember making htis arguement right after the season when I had researched it)!

Brother you're not gonna sway those who have agendas. Most of those who knock Tebow are those who really dont know much about him. I'm not a Gator fan...but I can objectively look at Tebow and see a winner. That drive he has internally doesnt grow on trees.

feltdizz
04-15-2010, 04:21 PM

He did pad his stats.. The guy ran up the gut at the GL in record numbers where a RB would traditionally run the ball in. It's not against the laws of football but it's also not a stat you can use to prove how great of an NFL QB he will be.

I NEVER said he didn't accomplish anything at UF. This is the problem with Tebow fans.. they always take a negative opinion of Tebow and twist it into a complete stoning of the kid as an athlete.

Against the SEC last year Tebow had 8 TD passes and 5 INT's... That is terrible.

You can scream heart all you want but the NFL wants guys who can pass the ball well. Tebow isn't that guy.

feltdizz
04-15-2010, 04:29 PM

Brother you're not gonna sway those who have agendas. Most of those who knock Tebow are those who really dont know much about him. I'm not a Gator fan...but I can objectively look at Tebow and see a winner. That drive he has internally doesnt grow on trees.

Look at Ben's internals.. he is filled with beer, whiskey and a keg of "phuck it" in practice... but come game day there is none better IMO.

Tebow may be a great christian who goes on missions to 3rd world countries but come sunday in the NFL none of that will matter.

There is no agenda with Tebow.. or Colt McCoy.. I just think those 2 have bust written all over them. It's not an agenda to doubt a guy at the next level. Now if he does pan out and I'm still calling him a scrub then I have an agenda.

birtikidis
04-15-2010, 04:50 PM

He did pad his stats.. The guy ran up the gut at the GL in record numbers where a RB would traditionally run the ball in. It's not against the laws of football but it's also not a stat you can use to prove how great of an NFL QB he will be.

I NEVER said he didn't accomplish anything at UF. This is the problem with Tebow fans.. they always take a negative opinion of Tebow and twist it into a complete stoning of the kid as an athlete.

Against the SEC last year Tebow had 8 TD passes and 5 INT's... That is terrible.

You can scream heart all you want but the NFL wants guys who can pass the ball well. Tebow isn't that guy.
who would you rather run the ball up the middle? A) a big back who can take on tacklers and score b) a scat back who isn't strong in goal line situations.
you blame tebow for being the best running threat florida had. shame on him for being the best option to run up the middle.
gator running backs have been terrible ever since Fason was there and that was 5 years ago. AND again, TEBOW of all the qb's except Bradford did not pad his stats this year. that is an incredibly STUPID thing to say.

feltdizz
04-15-2010, 06:30 PM

who would you rather run the ball up the middle? A) a big back who can take on tacklers and score b) a scat back who isn't strong in goal line situations.
you blame tebow for being the best running threat florida had. shame on him for being the best option to run up the middle.
gator running backs have been terrible ever since Fason was there and that was 5 years ago. AND again, TEBOW of all the qb's except Bradford did not pad his stats this year. that is an incredibly STUPID thing to say.

8 passing TD's and 5 INT's against SEC defenses....

when I say Meyer padded his stats I mean his overall TD stats. Maybe it;s the wrong word to use but throwing out Tebow's TD stats means little when you look at his pass production against the SEC, and the SEC defenses are probably the closest thing to NFL caliber defenses.

I agree though.. as a runner Tebow is impressive up the gut but let's be honest.. NFL teams aren't looking at Tebow for his skills at running over LB's. They want a passer and I think Tebow is a work in progress and not worth the time.

birtikidis
04-15-2010, 06:48 PM

8 passing TD's and 5 INT's against SEC defenses....

when I say Meyer padded his stats I mean his overall TD stats. Maybe it;s the wrong word to use but throwing out Tebow's TD stats means little when you look at his pass production against the SEC, and the SEC defenses are probably the closest thing to NFL caliber defenses.

I agree though.. as a runner Tebow is impressive up the gut but let's be honest.. NFL teams aren't looking at Tebow for his skills at running over LB's. They want a passer and I think Tebow is a work in progress and not worth the time.
I don't think tebow would be a runner in the NFL... maybe similar to steve young.
and just because myer is smart enough to score td's other than through the air isn't a bad thing. ANyone who watched a single Gator game this year would tell you that our skill positions (WR and RB) were extremely weak.

Steel Life
04-15-2010, 06:59 PM

It appears as though it's you Tebow-supporters who have "agendas"...the rest of us just don't see him with the rose-colored glasses you do & that doesn't make us wrong or ignorant. Being a Florida resident, I had plenty of opportunities to watch him & I just don't see it...what I saw was one, maybe two reads & he'd run & this was in a shotgun offense designed to give him more time to make decisions. On the pro field, which is more compact & where he won't have the luxury of playing in a spread offense, he's going to feel as though the defense is right on top of him & that when he runs, he won't be met by some undersized DE - it'll be James Harrison or Woodley or Troy coming to take him out. You can talk about intangibles & work ethic all you want, but at some point "tangibles" have to be there or the other players with good work ethics will be all over him.

BTW - Are you sure he's 2nd in career passing in the SEC? Because according to this site - http://www.fbsstatistics.com/careerpassingleaders.htm - he's 94th in career passing & significantly behind other SEC leaders David Greene, Chris Leak, Eric Zeier, Danny Wuerffel, Eli Manning & the immortal Todd Ellis.

feltdizz
04-15-2010, 07:13 PM
I don't think tebow would be a runner in the NFL... maybe similar to steve young.
and just because myer is smart enough to score td's other than through the air isn't a bad thing. ANyone who watched a single Gator game this year would tell you that our skill positions (WR and RB) were extremely weak.

He wouldn't last 4 games playing like he did in college.

I'm not knocking his college success. Tebow was amazing in college.

But....I AM knocking his college success as proof he will be a franchise QB in the NFL.

The guy has 57 rushing TD's.. amazing. But unless he is a FB or brought in to run the wildcat those stats mean little to an NFL team.

His passing production in the SEC says it all. He needs a ton of work and changed his throwing motion... there is a reason for this.

Dee Dub
04-15-2010, 07:20 PM
[quote=birtikidis]Felt your arguement is retarded. it's obvious you didn't watch Gator games. Tebow RARELY played in the 4th quarter due to large leads. He never padded his stats. and you say he never accomplished anything... right, he's only 2nd in yards passing in SEC history. and like i said before in the past two years there were 8 games he didn't even play in the 4th quarter(i still haven't researched it recently, but i remember making htis arguement right after the season when I had researched it)!

It appears as though it's you Tebow-supporters who have "agendas"...the rest of us just don't see him with the rose-colored glasses you do & that doesn't make us wrong or ignorant. Being a Florida resident, I had plenty of opportunities to watch him & I just don't see it...what I saw was one, maybe two reads & he'd run & this was in a shotgun offense designed to give him more time to make decisions. On the pro field, which is more compact & where he won't have the luxury of playing in a spread offense, he's going to feel as though the defense is right on top of him & that when he runs, he won't be met by some undersized DE - it'll be James Harrison or Woodley or Troy coming to take him out. You can talk about intangibles & work ethic all you want, but at some point "tangibles" have to be there or the other players with good work ethics will be all over him.

BTW - Are you sure he's 2nd in career passing in the SEC? Because according to this site - http://www.fbsstatistics.com/careerpassingleaders.htm - he's 94th in career passing & significantly behind other SEC leaders David Greene, Chris Leak, Eric Zeier, Danny Wuerffel, Eli Manning & the immortal Todd Ellis.[/quote:12pof0tl]

I havent called anyone ingnorant. Please no need to go there. And I have no agenda when it comes to Tebow. I am not a UF fan. I just think this would be in the best interests of the Steelers.

feltdizz
04-15-2010, 07:21 PM
[quote=birtikidis]Felt your arguement is retarded. it's obvious you didn't watch Gator games. Tebow RARELY played in the 4th quarter due to large leads. He never padded his stats. and you say he never accomplished anything... right, he's only 2nd in yards passing in SEC history. and like i said before in the past two years there were 8 games he didn't even play in the 4th quarter(i still haven't researched it recently, but i remember making htis arguement right after the season when I had researched it)!

BTW - Are you sure he's 2nd in career passing in the SEC? Because according to this site - http://www.fbsstatistics.com/careerpassingleaders.htm - he's 94th in career passing & significantly behind other SEC leaders David Greene, Chris Leak, Eric Zeier, Danny Wuerffel, Eli Manning & the immortal Todd Ellis.[/quote:vu2rruke]

spot on... the guy was a beast of a college player but as a passer he was not the bizness when playing against SEC competition.

Tebow fans act like doubting Tebow in the NFL is blasphemy. Sam Bradford and Claussen are way ahead of him in most mocks but ESPN and the media at large act like Tebow is #1...