PDA

View Full Version : Would Steelers Have Unraveled Under Cowher/Noll?

flippy
04-14-2010, 11:03 AM
Just curious what everyone thinks. Is Tomlin to blame for the current state of the Steelers in any way?

Is he too much of a players coach and too nice of a guy?

Is it just a coincidence all this stuff with Ben/Santonio is happening?

Would the same sort of stuff happened just as likely under Cowher or Noll?

Is this a sign of the times we're in?

Or something else?

Jom112
04-14-2010, 11:04 AM
I don't blame Tomlin at all. He seems to have a firm hand (Sitting Mendenhall for being in on the details).

Plus both players were drafted by Cowher...

frankthetank1
04-14-2010, 11:06 AM
blame tomlin haha? is it his job to baby sit grown men? he is a football coach that is his job. plus all these guys are all over the country. there is no coach that is responsible for watching these guys in the offseason. they are grown men

SanAntonioSteelerFan
04-14-2010, 11:06 AM
Just curious what everyone thinks. Is Tomlin to blame for the current state of the Steelers in any way?

Is he too much of a players coach and too nice of a guy?

Is it just a coincidence all this stuff with Ben/Santonio is happening?

Would the same sort of stuff happened just as likely under Cowher or Noll?

Is this a sign of the times we're in?
Or something else?

Word.

frankthetank1
04-14-2010, 11:10 AM
i also forgot to add that i think cowher is more of a players coach than tomlin is. sure you see all the yelling and screaming of the chin on the sidelines but he was a player's coach all the way. i think most of the yelling was his schtick. a prime example is joey porter. cowher didnt like porter shooting his mouth off but he never tried to shut him up. when did cowher ever suspend a player? tomlin has sat holmes and mendy on two different occasions. i doubt cowher would have done the same

RuthlessBurgher
04-14-2010, 11:11 AM
Under Noll, a traffic stop of Ernie Holmes resulted in him shooting at a damn police helicopter. Under Cowher, a traffic stop of Bam Morris yielded 4 KILOS of marijuana, and also a gram of cocaine (that's just a little bit more than the couple of blunts that were found in Santonio's traffic stop).

Jom112
04-14-2010, 11:12 AM
i also forgot to add that i think cowher is more of a players coach than tomlin is. sure you see all the yelling and screaming of the chin on the sidelines but he was a player's coach all the way. i think most of the yelling was his schtick. a prime example is joey porter. cowher didnt like porter shooting his mouth off but he never tried to shut him up. when did cowher ever suspend a player? tomlin has sat holmes and mendy on two different occasions. i doubt cowher would have done the same

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Big Ben have a much better relationship with Tomlin then he did with Cowher?

frankthetank1
04-14-2010, 11:15 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Big Ben have a much better relationship with Tomlin then he did with Cowher?

yes that is the way it seems. cowher didnt want to draft ben but the rooneys did. i really dont know how great of a relationship tomlin has with ben. it is better than cowher it seems but that isnt saying much.

JAR
04-14-2010, 11:16 AM
Cowher and Noll had their fair share of problems. Players with issues on the Steelers roster is nothing new like a lot seem to be assuming.

Oviedo
04-14-2010, 11:18 AM
I was just waiting for this post to pop up suggesting that this is somehow Tomlin's fault. Bunch of BS.

Ben's incidents all happened away from the team during the off season. The only "in season" incidents that have happened under Tomlin's watch has been Mendy being off plan and Santonio's dope traffic stop. In both cases Tomlin's response was swift and he sat both players.

Is Bam Morris' being a drug dealer Cowher's fault? Is Ernie Holmes shooting at police helicopter's Chuck Noll's fault?

Dee Dub
04-14-2010, 11:23 AM
Under Noll, a traffic stop of Ernie Holmes resulted in him shooting at a damn police helicopter. Under Cowher, a traffic stop of Bam Morris yielded 4 KILOS of marijuana, and also a gram of cocaine (that's just a little bit more than the couple of blunts that were found in Santonio's traffic stop).

:Clap

Tomlinator
04-14-2010, 11:42 AM
Cowher and Noll had their fair share of problems. Players with issues on the Steelers roster is nothing new like a lot seem to be assuming.

:Agree

Today's 24/7 hyper-media coverage and the internet help fuel the flames of any issue.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-14-2010, 12:12 PM
Under Noll Ernie Holmes got in a high speed chase and got out of his pickup and shot at a police helicopter.

Under Cowher Bam Morris got busted with 5 pounds of reefer in his trunk.

I am sure there are plenty of other instances of players being stupid under both watches.

(Sorry, didn't read the posts before this answer :oops: )

steelblood
04-14-2010, 12:28 PM
Tomlin has been a good disciplinarian and believes in the Steeler way. Tomlin suspended Holmes and sat Mendenhall. Tomlin put Casey in his dog house when he was overweight. Tomlin is good to his players, fair, and cares for them. He also earns their respect. If this team turns it around after these events and last year's collapse, it will be because of Tomlin's influence and locker room culture, not in spite of it. Now, I don't believe that Tomlin is a great tactician. But, I have no doubt that he is a very smart and thorough leader.

NW Steeler
04-14-2010, 12:46 PM
I would hardly say that the Steelers have unraveled. They are certainly in a negative spotlight right now, but rest assured that some other idiot on another team will mess up pretty soon and take away the attention we are getting. Ben's ordeal was pretty high profile with some serious potential repercussions. But that too is over, at least from a legal standpoint. It is time to move onward. Thank God that the draft is next week, because that will shift everyone's attention away from all of this crap.

RuthlessBurgher
04-14-2010, 01:22 PM
I would hardly say that the Steelers have unraveled. They are certainly in a negative spotlight right now, but rest assured that some other idiot on another team will mess up pretty soon and take away the attention we are getting. Ben's ordeal was pretty high profile with some serious potential repercussions. But that too is over, at least from a legal standpoint. It is time to move onward. Thank God that the draft is next week, because that will shift everyone's attention away from all of this crap.

At the beginning of this month, Seahawks starting LB LeRoy Hill pleaded guilty to a charge of marijuana possession, receiving 12 months of probation. Then, two days ago, Hill was arrested for investigation of domestic violence. Hill's girlfriend had obvious marks and injuries indicating an assault had occurred and she alleged Hill had caused these injuries. The Seahawks asked him not to show up for their minicamp sessions this week.

How many of your have heard of this? I'm assuming not many (although you likely have heard a bunch about it living in the Pacific Northwest and all). LeRoy Hill isn't nearly as high profile as Ben Roethlisberger or Santonio Holmes (even though he is a good enough player for the Seahawks to franchise tag him last year and then sign him to a six-year contract that could potentially be worth $38 million with $15.5 million guaranteed).

SteelStallion
04-14-2010, 01:36 PM
I think it's a sign of the times. Media scrutiny is hyperaggressive and 24/7 with multiple outlets in real time. Are the players really worse than in the past? I don't know, maybe.

Steel Life
04-14-2010, 01:39 PM
I noticed it Ruthless & I'm curious to see what happens to him courtesy of Mr. Goodell's office. Anything less than four games & I'll write the commissioner's office.

Otherwise back to the thread - I agree with Oveido & add that this is only an issue for anyone who wants to make it one. Tomlin's doing a fine job & regardless of the troubles, I'm still looking forward to the season.

NW Steeler
04-14-2010, 01:46 PM
Ruthless - I definitely know about Leroy Hill, but it has gotten very little press. I was going to bring up the fact that he was the first knucklehead to take away some of Ben's attention, but I haven't seen much about it in the national media.

skyhawk
04-14-2010, 02:47 PM

:Agree

Today's 24/7 hyper-media coverage and the internet help fuel the flames of any issue.

:Clap

Yup. Hyper-media. AND hyper ADD fans to boot.

DukieBoy
04-14-2010, 07:34 PM
Lambert would've kicked Ben's a88 back into line before Noll ever got to him. He was not fond of QB's.

feltdizz
04-14-2010, 10:27 PM
I think it's a sign of the times. Media scrutiny is hyperaggressive and 24/7 with multiple outlets in real time. Are the players really worse than in the past? I don't know, maybe.

Every incident in the past was high profile to Steeler fans...

while we get 24hr news cycles now we also more info on multiple stories so I think it evens out. Some people think the media isn't going all in like they would if it was TO or Ocho in the same situation.

I recently heard Tiki Barber left his pregnant wife for his intern... it never stops. I also think the players were worse back in the day... just like the game was rougher back then. Holmes wouldn't make news for a blunt and a thrown drink..

papillon
04-14-2010, 10:46 PM
Lambert would've kicked Ben's a88 back into line before Noll ever got to him. He was not fond of QB's.

:Agree He didn't even care for his own quarterback and was pretty tough. :tt2

Pappy