PDA

View Full Version : The Steelers Organization

flippy
04-13-2010, 04:10 PM
We often cite the Steelers as the premiere organization in all of sports.

High class ownership.

Quality players.

Quality coaches.

The whole nine yards.

But when a player messes up what do they do?

I just saw a clip of the Jets GM on ESPN saying we'll stand by Santonio and help him through his off field issues.

So the perception is that the Steelers did the right thing in getting rid of Santonio.

And the Jets are the turd collectors.

But it seems like these teams like the Jets or the Bengals, etc. are doing a good thing in giving guys others have given up on a chance.

It may not be the best model for winning.

But maybe in some ways it's just as classy.

JAR
04-13-2010, 04:19 PM

High class ownership.

Quality players.

Quality coaches.

The whole nine yards.

I just saw a clip of the Jets GM on ESPN saying we'll stand by Santonio and help him through his off field issues.

So the perception is that the Steelers did the right thing in getting rid of Santonio.

But it seems like these teams like the Jets or the Bengals, etc. are doing a good thing in giving guys others have given up on a chance.

The Steelers have stuck by a lot of guys with issues. That's why I don't understand all of the cut and trade Ben BS being flung around, especially when he's been convicted of NOTHING. The Steelers have had players with issues and haven't cut ties. For what ever reason, Steelers fans are 100 times more critical of those who play the QB position.

pfelix73
04-13-2010, 04:21 PM
Exactly. As an employer they need to help out whenever they can. It's their responsibility to do so. I do as an employer.
:tt1

Sugar
04-13-2010, 04:47 PM

High class ownership.

Quality players.

Quality coaches.

The whole nine yards.

The Steelers have stuck by a lot of guys with issues. That's why I don't understand all of the cut and trade Ben BS being flung around, especially when he's been convicted of NOTHING. The Steelers have had players with issues and haven't cut ties. For what ever reason, Steelers fans are 100 times more critical of those who play the QB position.

:Clap

Let's hear it for some of that good old Steeler loyalty we have heard about!

JAR
04-13-2010, 04:53 PM

High class ownership.

Quality players.

Quality coaches.

The whole nine yards.

All of those calling for Ben's head now would be the first ones jumping off the bandwagon when the Steelers sink into mediocrity without Ben.

sd steel
04-13-2010, 07:04 PM

High class ownership.

Quality players.

Quality coaches.

The whole nine yards.

All of those calling for Ben's head now would be the first ones jumping off the bandwagon when the Steelers sink into mediocrity without Ben.

BS, I have been a Steeler fan since day 1, over 40 years, and as I said before I root for the colors and the city. I want to be able to feel good about the team that I support. It was a long time coming for us to get one for the thumb, but I never felt bad rooting for the organization because of the higher moral standards unlike Dallas or the Pats after the scandal. I will always be a fan, but I would have more respect for the organization if we didn't have a "alleged rapist" as the face of the franchise.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-13-2010, 07:40 PM

High class ownership.

Quality players.

Quality coaches.

The whole nine yards.

BS, I have been a Steeler fan since day 1, over 40 years, and as I said before I root for the colors and the city. I want to be able to feel good about the team that I support. It was a long time coming for us to get one for the thumb, but I never felt bad rooting for the organization because of the higher moral standards unlike Dallas or the Pats after the scandal. I will always be a fan, but I would have more respect for the organization if we didn't have a "alleged rapist" as the face of the franchise.

I agree man. From now until the day he is not longer under center we will be the team with the rapist under center from all the other fans around the NFL. Not alleged because they don't care. In this country perception is near reality. Sorry to say. I would take a few sub par seasons to once again feel good about my team especially if we could get 2 first round picks in return. Right now I can't say I do feel good or will feel good cheering for Ben.

Also, I think there is some double standard here where Holmes has issues which are all self implosive issues and we ship him out with the trash with only a 5th round pick in compensation for a top 5 or 10 WR in the NFL. Ben has issues that effect other people, namely females and he might miss a game or two and things are supposed to be good to go. I don't agree with that line of thought. If you are cleaning house to make it pretty again, you don't leave the biggest spider of the bunch dangling in the center of the living room.

Regarding the post above stating that the Jets are trying to help Holmes, yet we didn't....that is complete BS. The Steelers stood by him with the disorderly conduct around when he was drafted, the domestic abuse around when he was drafted, the 4 blunts in his car, and this latest month of completely absurd activity was the last straw. Some folks don't want help...they want to do what they want to do and don't want you telling them not to.

frankthetank1
04-13-2010, 09:14 PM
I thought this article was pretty funny (except for the ben comment) and sums up how the jets are running their team in desperation of a sb ring. imo the jets will be very lucky to win 8-10 games this year

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/wel ... h7vvv5JipM (http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/welcome_to_animal_house_tlk0AAb3dwNch7vvv5JipM)

Sugar
04-13-2010, 11:11 PM

And who is it that has alleged these things? A proven nut job in NV and a drunk sorority girl in GA who couldn't even keep her story straight. Not a charge has yet been filed against Ben but you have less respect for the org because of these allegations? Wow man, wow...

Slapstick
04-14-2010, 06:18 AM
I don't spend a lot of time caring about what fans of other teams think...

Oviedo
04-14-2010, 07:56 AM

And who is it that has alleged these things? A proven nut job in NV and a drunk sorority girl in GA who couldn't even keep her story straight. Not a charge has yet been filed against Ben but you have less respect for the org because of these allegations? Wow man, wow...

Don't be naive. Is there another professional athlete who has been accused of sexual assault twice in the last year, Name one from all the other sports. Ben has issues that he needs to fix. He isn't a victim being stalked by women around the country. Ben makes terrible choices about where he goes and who he is with. He needs to fix it.

I do not have less respect for the organization but I do have less respect for Ben for being a social buffoon who makes terrible choices. I don't want him traded and I hope he can get his head on right and put all this behind him.

NWNewell
04-14-2010, 08:02 AM

High class ownership.

Quality players.

Quality coaches.

The whole nine yards.

I commend their effort.... though I feel they are not so much giving him a second chance as feeling that their baggage and potential disctractions are worth the talent and are willing to take the gamble. With Holmes... he's gone for four games and next offense he's gone for a season. Pretty big risk.

But how many chances should one organization give a guy. Steelers gave him a chance drafting him when he had issues in college. Then a second chance, then a third, and a fourth. They didn't just cut and run at the first sign of truble. Thy stuck by him through multiple issues. They just had enough.

Keep in mind... it's not that the Steeler just dumped him... but it was a calculated move. They only had him for 12 more games and then he was probably going to be gone to a large market with nothing in return. At least we got something for him.... part of the move was a gamble that a 5th round pick might be more benifitial in the long run that 12 games with Santonio. (a 5th rounder may not sound like much... but when it comes to being consistantly competitive over the long run... the Rooney's practically wrote the book... so I'll trust their FO moves) Plus he has burned the Rooney's multiple times so part of it was a message and the concequences of his actions, no doubt. And with his track record it's possible that he may not have made it through the entire sesaon.

I hope the change of venue and a clean slate helps him turn it around with the Jets... but I think his ego and antics will only continue to grow. Won't be the first Steelers WR to do so.

Oviedo
04-14-2010, 08:16 AM

High class ownership.

Quality players.

Quality coaches.

The whole nine yards.

I commend their effort.... though I feel they are not so much giving him a second chance as feeling that their baggage and potential disctractions are worth the talent and are willing to take the gamble. With Holmes... he's gone for four games and next offense he's gone for a season. Pretty big risk.

But how many chances should one organization give a guy. Steelers gave him a chance drafting him when he had issues in college. Then a second chance, then a third, and a fourth. They didn't just cut and run at the first sign of truble. Thy stuck by him through multiple issues. They just had enough.

Keep in mind... it's not that the Steeler just dumped him... but it was a calculated move. They only had him for 12 more games and then he was probably going to be gone to a large market with nothing in return. At least we got something for him.... part of the move was a gamble that a 5th round pick might be more benifitial in the long run that 12 games with Santonio. (a 5th rounder may not sound like much... but when it comes to being consistantly competitive over the long run... the Rooney's practically wrote the book... so I'll trust their FO moves) Plus he has burned the Rooney's multiple times so part of it was a message and the concequences of his actions, no doubt. And with his track record it's possible that he may not have made it through the entire sesaon.

I hope the change of venue and a clean slate helps him turn it around with the Jets... but I think his ego and antics will only continue to grow. Won't be the first Steelers WR to do so.

IMO, not a chance in the world Stupidio puts away the weed. It's not an matter of "if" with him but "when" he gets popped again from a drug test.

That is what the Rooney's saw and why they made the move they did. Holmes was damaged good and it wasn't a matter of whether he would resign here because the Rooney's probably didn't want him here and weren't going to try to resign him.

If I were the Jets I would be very concerend about what Stupidio was doing and who he was with during his 4 game suspension. We already know he doesn't mind toking weed during the season which is what got him inactivated for one game by Tomlin.

aggiebones
04-14-2010, 02:13 PM
They aren't helping out local bums on the street.
They are trying to use a players skill on pray he doesn't get caught again. More likely they'll buy him a whizinator to pass tests.

They are doing nothing but trying to keep some talent on a field. Zero class in taking advantage of someone. Similar to Mike Tyson's handlers if you ask me.

The Steelers gave him MANY chances. They did the best thing for him in moving him quickly because this may be the eye opener he needs. Its really his LAST chance being with the Jets. If he gets caught again, he'll be out of the league. We gave him 5 chances, the Jets are giving him one more to exploit him.
I hope he turns it around...while never winning another playoff game.

Jom112
04-14-2010, 02:18 PM
In some instances it is classy, in others it's just a cheap way to win.

In the Cedric Benson scenario, I think we did help him out a lot. And he has helped the Bengals a lot as well. Here is an article on Benson written recently:

"They believe in second chances in Cincinnati, which is a wonderful thing for guys who have run into hurdles across the road like myself,'' Benson said. "Life's not perfect. Nothing is promised to be perfect. You need these type of situations to come up in life in order to grow, in order to be a better person, in order to change or in order to move from a dormant state."

Benson seems at peace with himself. He's more comfortable with Lewis' hands-on approach, as opposed to Smith, whom Benson said was more businesslike and not looking to be a father figure to anybody.

http://www.statesman.com/sports/pro/ben ... 60993.html (http://www.statesman.com/sports/pro/benson-finally-becoming-the-nfl-player-we-thought-560993.html)

Chris Henry was the guy that tons of people in the organization went out of their way to help. It was unfortunate to say the least how it ended...

Sugar
04-14-2010, 02:34 PM

Don't be naive. Is there another professional athlete who has been accused of sexual assault twice in the last year, Name one from all the other sports. Ben has issues that he needs to fix. He isn't a victim being stalked by women around the country. Ben makes terrible choices about where he goes and who he is with. He needs to fix it.

I do not have less respect for the organization but I do have less respect for Ben for being a social buffoon who makes terrible choices. I don't want him traded and I hope he can get his head on right and put all this behind him.

Naive? Whatever pal. Did it ever occur to you that the nutjob in NV made it easier for the drunk in GA to make a claim (after prodding from her sorority sisters, of course). Sure, I suppose that Ben could have locked himself in a convent or something for the offseason. I guess maybe he thought going out with a large group of friends and not one, but two bodygards (that also happen to be off-duty cops) shouldn't be a problem.

Whether or not any other athlete in all history has had this happen is not the issue. They say the devil is in the details and looking at the details leaves Ben with minimal culpability in either situation.

papillon
04-15-2010, 06:58 AM

Naive? Whatever pal. Did it ever occur to you that the nutjob in NV made it easier for the drunk in GA to make a claim (after prodding from her sorority sisters, of course). Sure, I suppose that Ben could have locked himself in a convent or something for the offseason. I guess maybe he thought going out with a large group of friends and not one, but two bodygards (that also happen to be off-duty cops) shouldn't be a problem.

Whether or not any other athlete in all history has had this happen is not the issue. They say the devil is in the details and looking at the details leaves Ben with minimal culpability in either situation.

Locking himself in a convent would have been a better choice than locking himself in the stall of a bathroom about the size of a phone booth with a drunk sorority girl. Don't you think?

Pappy

AngryAsian
04-15-2010, 09:20 AM

Great logic with equally great bravado!!! Well put brother. :Clap

Sugar
04-15-2010, 09:44 AM

Locking himself in a convent would have been a better choice than locking himself in the stall of a bathroom about the size of a phone booth with a drunk sorority girl. Don't you think?

Pappy

If that was the choice, than it would indeed be a better choice. I don't accept the premise however.

We'll have to disagree on this one Pappy. I started to type more, but why bother at this point.