PDA

View Full Version : Chadman's thoughts on Ben.

Chadman
04-13-2010, 04:32 AM
Ok, as I 'tongue in cheek' posted a week or so back, I wasn't going to make any more comments on Ben until this case was moved to being charged, or not being charged.

Well, here we are. Ben is, for all intents and purposes, not guilty. But strangely, it just doesn't sit well.

As you know, I've been quite angry with the fact that Ben was, for a better way of saying it, thrown under the bus by releasing his name as an 'accused' sexual assaulter. I'll stand by that- it is truly unfair that anyone, celebrity or no, should be made to defend their honour in front of the media, based on an accusation on something as horrible as sexual assault. His name, simply, should never have been released. But, by-the-by, that damage is done.

No, that isn't what this post is about. Now we have some details. Now we have an official statement. Now, we start to move forward.

I've read the official statement made by Mr Bright. While he does, indeed, take some shots at Ben, I actually like the way he did it. Obviously, he feels there is a case there, just not enough proof. I like the 'grow up' comment. I like that he made it a personal thing- 'if he was my son..'. while he had his shots at Ben, he said what I wanted to hear from someone of authority- he put it on Ben that he, himself, needs to act better, because his actions directly effect so many other people.

Ben's statement was very, very poor. In my opinion, it did absolutely nothing to improve his standing with the Rooney's, at all. Hell, he was reading something that either his lawyer, agent or even perhaps the Steelers told him to read. There was hardly a heart felt comment included. And that is the problem- it was like he knew he had to say something, just didn't really understand the reasoning.

The fact that the Rooney's, Tomlin, Colbert or even another Steeler player didn't stand by him during his statement was both saddening, and telling. Ben is in trouble- make no mistake. The Steelers, as an organisation, are not showing Ben support. Fix it yourself Son.

I'll still say that there are far too many holes in the accusers story for it to be 'the whole truth', but the fact that Ben wasn't anywhere near as adiment that he was innocent of this, as compared to his statement regarding McNulty, kind of makes me think that he's close to admitting to himself that he's done wrong.

Roger Goodall should, for his own reputation's sake, suspend Ben for at least 4 games. Will he? Don't know. But he should. If he doesn't, I'm betting the Steelers do. After all, Mike Tomlin basically suspended Mendenhall for not being prepared during the season- he has the mentality to make a stand like that work. I can't see the Rooney's allowing their franchise to look like they condone this. If reports are correct that Mr Rooney is furious about all this, he should suspend Ben. 4 games might not even be enough.

The Steelers traded Santonio Holmes for his indescretions. Should they do the same with Ben? You know what? I'm not sure I'd oppose the idea. Start fresh, build again. Sure, a few of you will argue that it will put the organisation back, that it's a 'loser' mentality. But I disagree. I think it's a gutsy call- just like trading Holmes was gutsy. It says- 'we value this organisation above success at all costs'. It gives integrity. Would you trade your integrity for success? It's a personal thing- I wouldn't.

It would seem Ben would attract a larger market than Holmes if he indeed was up for a trade- it could even land the Steelers multiple high picks. The turnaround from 'loser without Ben' to regained success might not be that far.

Put simply, I'm glad this is over, from a legal standpoint. I eagerly await the direction Ben & the Steelers take from here, and fully support the Rooney's, regardless of their moves.

SteelAbility
04-13-2010, 07:13 AM
Good thoughts. Not sure I agree with 4 game suspension, given that the law has not convicted him of anything. What to do with Ben gets into a gray area of arbitray/subjective. Nonetheless, I do agree that something should be done to close the loop on actions/consequences and give the best chance for long-term prevention of a repeat incident.

I thought the "grow up" statement told me the DA does not consider Ben a heinous rapist. You don't address someone you consider to be rapist with "grow up." You show serious indignation.

This whole thing has the flavor of some sort of initial agreement between Ben and the girl, perhaps even involving a misunderstanding of expectations. Then between the verbal exchange and up to and including the encounter in the bathroom, the girl had a change of mind. Ben is feeling super badass with his entourage and super horny and after all, "It is my birthday." The girl backed out of anything further. He got pissed and unloaded some kind of verbal or slight physical abuse on her and the rest is history.

Flasteel
04-13-2010, 07:15 AM
Sorry Chadman. A four-game suspension seems way over the top for his actions. I agree that Ben needs to be consequenced, but why should we punish his teammates, the city, and the Steeler Nation along with him. Taking Roethlisberger out of action that long would seriously jeopardize our chances of making the post-season and would surely create a rift between Ben and the franchise.

Hit him hard in the wallet and IF a suspension needs to take place, let it be for a single game.

As far as that nonsense about starting over fresh? Well, you need to put down the crack pipe my friend. You don't knowingly deal franchise quarterbacks unless you are left with no other choice. We simply aren't to that point.

Oviedo
04-13-2010, 08:11 AM
Two games is about right for a suspension. I'd also require Ben to participate in some kind of counseling program if I were Goodell/Rooney's.

I really think Ben's problem is that he is a social buffoon. He is an "aw shucks" kinda guy from a small town who went to a small school. It is very clear through his interactions with the media that he is very uncomfortable unless he is controlling the situation. I think that may lead to the problems he has had with women in that he wants to be in control and he therefore can't read the signals he is getting. I know my amateur psychologist assessment may be full of crap but I have seen situations and people like Ben during my 20 years in the military and when they aren't controlling the situation they kinda lose a grip and make bad decisions.

Ben's needs to get a hobby that doesn't involve bars or alcohol to occupy his off season. Perhaps the Steelers should buy him a sailboat and tell him to sail around the ocean during the off season or get him into mountain climbing and send him to the Himalayas :D

steelblood
04-13-2010, 08:14 AM
While it would be a terrible thing for the STeelers' team, I'm not sure that a trade to a new town wouldn't be better for Ben. I do think his relationship with the Rooney's is strained at best. I do think he needs a fresh start of sorts for his own sake. I hope he can get that fresh start here, but I'm not really sure it will happen.

MeetJoeGreene
04-13-2010, 08:29 AM
I think the Rooney's will fine Ben, suspend him for one game (hopefully Cleveland), and see that he undergoes some sort of "counseling" and charity work.

I think if Ben does truly "repent" that the relationship w/ the Rooney's can be repaired.

BURGH86STEEL
04-13-2010, 08:36 AM
Sorry Chadman. A four-game suspension seems way over the top for his actions. I agree that Ben needs to be consequenced, but why should we punish his teammates, the city, and the Steeler Nation along with him. Taking Roethlisberger out of action that long would seriously jeopardize our chances of making the post-season and would surely create a rift between Ben and the franchise.

Hit him hard in the wallet and IF a suspension needs to take place, let it be for a single game.

As far as that nonsense about starting over fresh? Well, you need to put down the crack pipe my friend. You don't knowingly deal franchise quarterbacks unless you are left with no other choice. We simply aren't to that point.

If a 4 game suspension is what the organization feels it should do, so be it. I think it will be from 1 to 4 games. Ben punished his teammates, the organization, the NFL, himself, and family by putting himself in that situation. That is where it all began and ended. I am sure they warned him about such behavior after the first accusation. The anger from the organization probably resulted because they had conversations with Ben about those situations. IMO, making the post season is irrelevant right now. Ben's actions are what is responsible for creating a rift between himself and the organization.

Is Ben too stupid or stubborn to listen to good advice? I am not sure how much longer he will be a Steeler if that is the case. No player is bigger then the team.

papillon
04-13-2010, 08:48 AM
I would like to know the genesis of the whole contrived statement that he read looking disheveled and guilty of something. Whoever is advising him on his choice of clothing (Nike, really, at this time?), haircut and appearance did not do him any good service. He appeared unprepared, sloppy and dismissive of the incident. Reading a statement as poorly crafted and nebulous as the one he read certainly didn't help get this incident behind him.

He needs to hire himself a personal adviser to help get himself cleaned up. He looks like a slob much of the time and acts similarly. He's a great talent, but that doesn't give him license to behave in any fashion he sees fit.

The statement lasted less than 3 minutes and he couldn't get through it without reading cue cards. That indicates that he was not even part of the process of crafting the statement. Not having an actual press conference was not a good idea either and I'm not sure why the Steeler organization allowed this to happen without a representative from the team in attendance. Even if they want to distance themselves from Ben a representative of the organization should have been present and in sight.

It's almost as if Ben conducted the statement without the blessing of the organization, but held the conference on their premises against their better judgment. It was extremely odd or eerie in nature. I fear this isn't over for Ben and the Steelers.

Pappy

proudpittsburgher
04-13-2010, 08:48 AM
Ben's statement was very, very poor. In my opinion, it did absolutely nothing to improve his standing with the Rooney's, at all. Hell, he was reading something that either his lawyer, agent or even perhaps the Steelers told him to read. There was hardly a heart felt comment included. And that is the problem- it was like he knew he had to say something, just didn't really understand the reasoning.

This, I agree with. And I agree that the Steelers have no choice, really, but to punish him with a team-imposed suspension. I said so in depth in another post, but I am a fan of this team for a lot of reasons, grew up in the Burgh, six lombardies, etc, but also because of how the Rooneys run their ship. There may not have been anything illegal with what happened to Ben, but regardless of that, he still drug the teams name through the mudd with his repeated actions. Emphasis on the word repeated.

I think Ben will move on from this, and I really hope nothing like this happens again. I am also very well aware that ben may be targeted because of his fame. I get that, and he should be able to party like the champion that he is. But there absolutely has to be consequences for his actions.

Jooser
04-13-2010, 09:04 AM
Well, first of all, a lot of states consider it a crime if you take sexual advantage of someone who is as incapacitated as this girl was. There are college frat boys who've paid the price and done jail time for screwing some drunk chick who, after she sobered up, decided she wasn't "down" with it after all. I haven't made too many comments on this thus far, but I have to say that Ben is EXTREMELY lucky on this. If the "alleged victim" had wanted to actually go after him, then he'd have been arrested before now... and just as likely he'd have one hell of a time avoiding a conviction on her home turf. She was of legal age to consent to sex, but at .2, was she able to consent? I know, she wasn't supposed to be there drinking if she was just 20, but she was there and Ben was providing the alcohol by most accounts. This may be just an after thought to most, but wouldn't most of you consider it a crime to engage in sexual activity in a public restroom? Oh, I know, I know, Ben has the right to chase and get tail anywhere he wants, right? Do you think that any of you would avoid charges if caught screwing in a public place? Didn't think so. So, Chadman, I agree with most of what you've said. This whole thing is creepy and sleazy in the extreme. I think that a 4 game suspension would not be unwarranted. It would suck, because it puts the whole post-season in question, but then again that's what we get when we cast morals (or rather common sense) aside and put our faith in anything goes. You cannot separate the man's personal life and say I only watch football and he plays football and that's all I care about, when his personal decisions make such a detrimental impact on the team and the game.

Just for the record, I have always liked Ben and I have his jersey, and his picture posted all over my Steelers 'man-cave'. I can't fault his play, but his personal decisions are making a direct impact on the TEAM that I have always loved.

-Joos

JTP53609
04-13-2010, 09:19 AM
Well, first of all, a lot of states consider it a crime if you take sexual advantage of someone who is as incapacitated as this girl was. There are college frat boys who've paid the price and done jail time for screwing some drunk chick who, after she sobered up, decided she wasn't "down" with it after all. I haven't made too many comments on this thus far, but I have to say that Ben is EXTREMELY lucky on this. If the "alleged victim" had wanted to actually go after him, then he'd have been arrested before now... and just as likely he'd have one hell of a time avoiding a conviction on her home turf. She was of legal age to consent to sex, but at .2, was she able to consent? I know, she wasn't supposed to be there drinking if she was just 20, but she was there and Ben was providing the alcohol by most accounts. This may be just an after thought to most, but wouldn't most of you consider it a crime to engage in sexual activity in a public restroom? Oh, I know, I know, Ben has the right to chase and get tail anywhere he wants, right? Do you think that any of you would avoid charges if caught screwing in a public place? Didn't think so. So, Chadman, I agree with most of what you've said. This whole thing is creepy and sleazy in the extreme. I think that a 4 game suspension would not be unwarranted. It would suck, because it puts the whole post-season in question, but then again that's what we get when we cast morals (or rather common sense) aside and put our faith in anything goes. You cannot separate the man's personal life and say I only watch football and he plays football and that's all I care about, when his personal decisions make such a detrimental impact on the team and the game.

Just for the record, I have always liked Ben and I have his jersey, and his picture posted all over my Steelers 'man-cave'. I can't fault his play, but his personal decisions are making a direct impact on the TEAM that I have always loved.

-Joos

hope that picture of ben in your basement is not of ben yesterday, that will ugly up the man cave.....

Jooser
04-13-2010, 09:23 AM
http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/ee331/DOPErecords_2008/laugh.jpg

Oviedo
04-13-2010, 09:23 AM
While it would be a terrible thing for the STeelers' team, I'm not sure that a trade to a new town wouldn't be better for Ben. I do think his relationship with the Rooney's is strained at best. I do think he needs a fresh start of sorts for his own sake. I hope he can get that fresh start here, but I'm not really sure it will happen.

Could ship him to San Francisco. It would open up a new set of opportunities for him in more ways than one. :wink:

JAR
04-13-2010, 09:32 AM
I would like to know the genesis of the whole contrived statement that he read looking disheveled and guilty of something. Whoever is advising him on his choice of clothing (Nike, really, at this time?), haircut and appearance did not do him any good service. He appeared unprepared, sloppy and dismissive of the incident. Reading a statement as poorly crafted and nebulous as the one he read certainly didn't help get this incident behind him.

He needs to hire himself a personal adviser to help get himself cleaned up. He looks like a slob much of the time and acts similarly. He's a great talent, but that doesn't give him license to behave in any fashion he sees fit.

The statement lasted less than 3 minutes and he couldn't get through it without reading cue cards. That indicates that he was not even part of the process of crafting the statement. Not having an actual press conference was not a good idea either and I'm not sure why the Steeler organization allowed this to happen without a representative from the team in attendance. Even if they want to distance themselves from Ben a representative of the organization should have been present and in sight.

It's almost as if Ben conducted the statement without the blessing of the organization, but held the conference on their premises against their better judgment. It was extremely odd or eerie in nature. I fear this isn't over for Ben and the Steelers.

Pappy

KDKA interviewed a personal adviser last night who said Ben did good on his delivery of his statement, it was sincere and believable. He said the only thing Ben could have done better was wear something more business casual.

proudpittsburgher
04-13-2010, 09:33 AM

x2

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-13-2010, 10:01 AM
For those of you saying that Ben should be suspended, please state the offense that was commited. I'm interested in what the reasoning is for suspension.

Is it because you believe that he is not innocent of the crime of sexual assault, but somehow paid someone off or lucked out with the investigation? Is it because he should not be hanging out in college bars with drunk sorority girls? Is it the general lack of professionalism? Is it because he has now reached three on the incident count?

IMO some of these reasons may be valid for sitting him down and asking him to re-evaluate his life and his position with the team and within football - but not suspendable.

papillon
04-13-2010, 10:10 AM

Pappy

KDKA interviewed a personal adviser last night who said Ben did good on his delivery of his statement, it was sincere and believable. He said the only thing Ben could have done better was wear something more business casual.

Well, it doesn't pass the smell test to me and in the grand scheme of things my opinion doesn't matter one iota. But, if there are many like me who thought the statement was contrived and poorly delivered then he hasn't succeeded in his first step to remake his image. What are your thoughts on his statement and the delivery? The adviser could be part of the remake of Ben by reinforcing what he did as positive.

In reality, I haven't heard one comment from a fan, talking head or anyone else that believes Ben did himself any justice by looking disheveled and reading a 2 minute statement. Oh, and, plugging his Nike endorsement by wearing a Nike polo shirt or whatever the hell it was.

Pappy

SteelAbility
04-13-2010, 10:24 AM
For those of you saying that Ben should be suspended, please state the offense that was commited. I'm interested in what the reasoning is for suspension.

Is it because you believe that he is not innocent of the crime of sexual assault, but somehow paid someone off or lucked out with the investigation? Is it because he should not be hanging out in college bars with drunk sorority girls? Is it the general lack of professionalism? Is it because he has now reached three on the incident count?

IMO some of these reasons may be valid for sitting him down and asking him to re-evaluate his life and his position with the team and within football - but not suspendable.

You may have a case as far as the League inflicting punishment. As far as the Steelers, I really don't believe so.

The simple is reason is ...

"You put us at risk and we won't tolerate that anymore. You went seeking tail from a girl in a situation that you should have known had at least one of two major risk factors involved in it ...

1. Maybe she looked 20 but lied and was actually 17. If you have sex with her, even consensually (sp?), that's statutory rape. That's the law. The law doesn't care about consent in that case. Some 17 year olds can easily look older, especially when you are FRIGGIN' DRUNK!! :roll:

2. What if she just plain old accused you falsely of rape for a money scam? You know, with your pending civil suit alleging sexual misbehavior, her accusation may just stick ... even a little bit.

Oviedo
04-13-2010, 10:26 AM

Pappy

Well, it doesn't pass the smell test to me and in the grand scheme of things my opinion doesn't matter one iota. But, if there are many like me who thought the statement was contrived and poorly delivered then he hasn't succeeded in his first step to remake his image. What are your thoughts on his statement and the delivery? The adviser could be part of the remake of Ben by reinforcing what he did as positive.

In reality, I haven't heard one comment from a fan, talking head or anyone else that believes Ben did himself any justice by looking disheveled and reading a 2 minute statement. Oh, and, plugging his Nike endorsement by wearing a Nike polo shirt or whatever the hell it was.

Pappy

I agree. Came across as something he was being made to do versus wanted to do. Seemed like he was annoyed to have to do it.

papillon
04-13-2010, 11:07 AM

Pappy

Pappy

I agree. Came across as something he was being made to do versus wanted to do. Seemed like he was annoyed to have to do it.

And that may be the case, because, in his mind he believes he was given the okay by the girl and then she decided to press charges after the event occurred whatever that was and he's p1ssed that he has to make nice with everyone. It appears to be part of a character flaw that he is going to have work on to correct.

Pappy

NWNewell
04-13-2010, 12:06 PM

Pappy

I that personal adviser should be fired... right after Ben's.

It was a pathetic attempt.

aggiebones
04-13-2010, 12:27 PM
Your not totally off based by your ideas, you just go too far at this point.
Yes, I guess suspend him for a game if you must, but this hurts the whole team and fans, not just Ben. And we've been hit enough over this. Fine him some game checks, sure. Make him do LOTS of charity work. But let's keep things in perspective. He's been doing some drunk fishing with his penis. Nothing outrageous proven at this point. Trading him is not a good move and he's not anywhere near the cretin that Holmes has been over the last 5-8 years. Disregard the motorcycle thing. That's self stupid, not despicable. He's got 5 really good seasons left. I think he'll likely settle down a bit now. Or at least get some training in how to be a dirtbag at home. Transgressions have a way of getting diluted down over time and a short time indeed. Kobe had a similar issue while being married. He was league MVP at least once since then. He has another ring and general league support. His face is back in the spotlight for the league. This CAN happen to Ben. I believe he'll pull back a bit. If so, he'll be OK and all will be well after 2 seasons.

"The fact that the Rooney's, Tomlin, Colbert or even another Steeler player didn't stand by him during his statement was both saddening, and telling. Ben is in trouble- make no mistake. The Steelers, as an organisation, are not showing Ben support. Fix it yourself Son."
This is Chadman's most clear note. I didn't really notice it, but Ben maybe finally alone on fixing his problems. That tends to help you out.

Shawn
04-13-2010, 12:42 PM
Chad you have certainly been level headed about this whole thing. I respect that. You defended him until you had more information. It seems the press conference left the same taste in your mouth as it did in mine. There was something that went on that night that Ben doesn't want brought to light. I would be shocked if Ben hasn't paid that girl and made this go away. I certainly don't think he is a rapist but I doubt he is entirely innocent either.

With that said, I still need to deal in the facts...no gut feeling about the situation needs to come into play. Knowing what we know...supplying underage drinkers with shots, something sexual in the bathroom, and general douchebaggery...there needs to be a suspension of some sort. If not by the NFL by the Rooneys. I would rather this be taken care of in house. I would like to see the Rooneys sit him for 4 games.

As for the trade. I'm not ready to go there with our franchise QB. You don't just grow those on trees. I would not want to see Mark Malone days again. I will say this however. He has had his last shot with me...and I suspect with the Rooneys. Shape up or ship out. Do something ignorant again and it will be the later.

Shawn
04-13-2010, 01:12 PM

I can give you several. Supplying underaged drinkers with alcohol. Public indecency. And from the Steelers side of things...putting himself in a situation that could negatively effect him and the team. He brought poor press to himself and the Steelers because he couldn't control little Ben. See the nice thing here is the Steelers don't need to prove anything beyond a reasonable doubt. They just have to believe he did something that was detrimental to the team. And this situation fits the bill.

birtikidis
04-13-2010, 01:18 PM
I think the Rooney's will fine Ben, suspend him for one game (hopefully Cleveland), and see that he undergoes some sort of "counseling" and charity work.

I think if Ben does truly "repent" that the relationship w/ the Rooney's can be repaired.
so, last night, I had this terrible dream that this sort of suspension actually happened. I woke up when the Browns scored their third touchdown with just over 3 to play... I couldn't stand being asleep for a shut out vs the browns... true story. how weird.

RuthlessBurgher
04-13-2010, 01:34 PM
I don't think that the league will be able to impose a suspension after Ben meets with Goodell today, because the player's union would likely file a grievance over suspending someone who has not even been arrested or charged or anything in either incident.

However, I expect the Rooneys to sit him down for 2 games. They may not be able to suspend him per se (where he would lose game check, because, again, the player's union would file a grievance), but they can just opt to designate him as the inactive 3rd QB for the first two games of the season (like how they sat Santonio down for the Giants game a couple of seasons ago, just by making him inactive for that game rather than formally suspending him and taking away a game check).

It would be their tangible means of putting him on notice that, even if nothing illegal may have happened, the team will not tolerate behavior that puts the team and league in a poor light, such as having sex with hotel employees that are supposed to be on the clock, or fooling around with college students in a bar bathroom. The Santonio trade is evidence of the next step if this type of behavior continues.

Although his sexual escapades are none of the Rooneys' business, Ben made it their business by making poor decisions that got his name in the headlines on multiple occassions. The team certainly can't legislate who he has sex with, but they could strongly suggest that he at least take her to dinner and a movie to get to know her just a little bit first (or whatever, you get my drift) instead of going after random drunken co-eds in bathrooms and the like. Be a damn gentleman! Is that so hard?

papillon
04-13-2010, 01:54 PM
I don't think that the league will be able to impose a suspension after Ben meets with Goodell today, because the player's union would likely file a grievance over suspending someone who has not even been arrested or charged or anything in either incident.

However, I expect the Rooneys to sit him down for 2 games. They may not be able to suspend him per se (where he would lose game check, because, again, the player's union would file a grievance), but they can just opt to designate him as the inactive 3rd QB for the first two games of the season (like how they sat Santonio down for the Giants game a couple of seasons ago, just by making him inactive for that game rather than formally suspending him and taking away a game check).

It would be their tangible means of putting him on notice that, even if nothing illegal may have happened, the team will not tolerate behavior that puts the team and league in a poor light, such as having sex with hotel employees that are supposed to be on the clock, or fooling around with college students in a bar bathroom. The Santonio trade is evidence of the next step if this type of behavior continues.

Although his sexual escapades are none of the Rooneys' business, Ben made it their business by making poor decisions that got his name in the headlines on multiple occassions. The team certainly can't legislate who he has sex with, but they could strongly suggest that he at least take her to dinner and a movie to get to know her just a little bit first (or whatever, you get my drift) instead of going after random drunken co-eds in bathrooms and the like. Be a damn gentleman! Is that so hard?

The Steelers should still attempt to suspend him and then when the union steps in Ben should tell them to stay out of family business and accept the punishment like a man.

Just my opinion...

The Steelers need him, but they need him to be more conservative in his approach to having a good time. He's one of the best in the biz and I'd hate to see him go, but he's perilously close (at least that's the feeling I get from the team) to not being a Steeler.

Just as an aside, didn't anyone think it was odd that not one representative of the team was attended his statement yesterday?

Pappy

Shawn
04-13-2010, 01:59 PM
I didn't think it was odd Pappy. The team is sending a message...Ben your behavior sucks. We will not support you. You are on your own. You are lucky to have a job.

steelerkeylargo
04-13-2010, 02:12 PM
I personally think a 500k fine and a 3 game suspension would not be out of line!! Hopefully we can win at least one of those games.

papillon
04-13-2010, 03:44 PM
I didn't think it was odd Pappy. The team is sending a message...Ben your behavior sucks. We will not support you. You are on your own. You are lucky to have a job.

I understand that, but he did it within the confines of the Steeler offices. I just think a low level manager should have been there to at least let the world know that it's okay that he's using Steeler offices to provide this statement.

I didn't expect Art II, Tomlin or Colbert, but the manager of public relations or something to give a brief intro before Ben said his piece.

Something to the effect, "Ben Roethlisberger has requested that he be able to read a prepared statement concerning the results form the investigation in Georgia and The Steeler football organization is giving him that opportunity."

Pappy

SanAntonioSteelerFan
04-13-2010, 10:47 PM
I'm just going to say some things, if they are untrue, please let me know:

There is no proof, only rumor, that:

1) Ben went into the bathroom with the girl (read the DA's statement - Ben didn't say that!)
2) Ben had any sexual contact with the girl (read the DA's statement - Ben didn't say that either!).
3) Ben bought that girl drinks. (When I read the statement, it wasn't even clear to me that was proven. And if it did happen - she had an ID that said she was 21. So what's wrong with that?).

Sure, the media is saying all those things happened.. And at one point the girl was in favor of saying that. But that was after she was against it ("He didn't rape me" were her first words to law enforcement).

And now some commentary about those things:

Maybe those things did happen, but as of this moment, it's just rumor that neither Ben, authorities, or anyone else has confirmed. These things might NOT have happened at all - remember, there is not one legal shred of evidence that they did.

Is it right to suspend someone on rumor and innuendo?

Now - I suppose he could be suspended even without claiming he did those horrible things - for bringing bad publicity to the NFL and the Steelers - "guilty or not, boy, your hurting our brand..." kind of stuff. And, I think there's a fair amount of merit for doing so.

But until someone proves to the contrary, THOSE THINGS NEVER HAPPENED. Another reasonable alternative explanation is that with the random 1st legal claim against him, there is a "blood in the water" kind of thing that takes on a life of its own where he's concerned.

Don't be fooled by the media-driven character assasination!