PDA

View Full Version : Steelers or NFL must suspend Roethlisberger

fordfixer
04-13-2010, 01:54 AM
Steelers or NFL must suspend Roethlisberger
Tuesday, April 13, 2010
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10103/1049930-87.stm

The NFL suspended former Steelers wide receiver Santonio Holmes Monday for the first four games of the 2010 season for violating the league's substance-abuse policy.

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will be lucky if he doesn't get just as much time off from the NFL or from the Rooneys for violating the sensibilities of decent people everywhere.

If Roethlisberger isn't suspended for at least two games for his despicable behavior in Milledgeville, Ga., last month, there is no justice in the NFL.

Roethlisberger appears to get that, at least. It didn't take him long to swing into damage-control mode. He made his first public appearance at Steelers headquarters Monday night and read a brief statement to the media, saying he is "truly sorry" for the negative attention he brought to the team and the league. He acknowledged he has "much work" to do to win back the trust of Steelers management, his coaches and teammates and the fans. He pledged to make all concerned "proud on all fronts."

The statement was predictable.

Too bad it didn't seem to contain much contrition.

You have to wonder what Roethlisberger sees when he looks in the mirror every morning. Here's guessing he doesn't see a 28-year-old lout who needs to grow up in a hurry and become a respectable human being. If that's the case, he's lying to himself.

Funny, "grow up" is exactly the advice Georgia district attorney Fred Bright gave Roethlisberger when he announced Monday he was not charging him in the sexual assault case involving a 20-year-old college student March 5 at a Milledgeville club because of a lack of enough evidence to get a conviction and because the alleged victim didn't want to pursue the case.

Never have two more appropriate words been uttered about anyone.

They are worth repeating:

"Grow up."

Bright portrayed Roethlisberger as a real creep during his news conference. He said Roethlisberger "provided shots of alcohol" for the alleged underaged victim and her friends. He also said Roethlisberger invited the "highly intoxicated" alleged victim into the club's VIP area and later followed her into a small bathroom.

"Significant questions about what had occurred [after that] persist," Bright said.

The only way Roethlisberger could have looked worse Monday is if Bright had filed criminal charges against him.

"We are not condoning Mr. Roethlisberger's actions that night," Bright said. "But we do not prosecute morals. We prosecute crimes."

The NFL has no such limitations. Nor do the Steelers. It is up to one or the other to do the right thing and suspend Roethlisberger for at least two games. His immature, reprehensible behavior has done great harm to the league's brand and to the Steelers' reputation.

Saying "sorry" isn't enough.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is scheduled to meet with Roethlisberger this week. There is tremendous pressure on Goodell -- some of it racial pressure -- to take a tough position with Roethlisberger. The commissioner has earned something of a reputation for being a hanging judge in his disciplinary dealings with black players such as Michael Vick and Adam "Pac-Man" Jones. He has to know how it would look if he turns soft with a star, two-time Super Bowl-winning, white quarterback, who, clearly, has violated the league's Personal Conduct Policy.

Certainly, the league's black players will be watching closely how Goodell handles the Roethlisberger situation.

There also is pressure on the Steelers -- again, some of it racial -- to come down hard on Roethlisberger. There's no disputing that the team was tough with Holmes, a black wide receiver. A former No. 1 pick and the MVP of the Steelers' win in Super Bowl XLIII, Holmes was traded Sunday night to the New York Jets for a fifth-round draft choice. It's obvious the Steelers had tired of his equally loutish off-the-field behavior, which included four incidents involving police intervention since he was drafted in 2006, some absurd tweets on his Twitter account recently and the four-game suspension. The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Ed Bouchette reported the team was so disgusted with Holmes that it would have released him if it hadn't found a trade partner.

Certainly, the Steelers' black players will be watching closely how management handles the Roethlisberger situation.

Steelers president Art Rooney II released a statement Monday saying the team would wait until Goodell has his meeting with Roethlisberger to determine "the next steps in this process."

The next step is a suspension for Roethlisberger.

That can be the only step.

Bright put it best in his "grow-up" lecture to Roethlisberger.

"Come on, you're supposed to stand for something. You need to be a role model for your team, your city, the NFL. You can do better."
Ron Cook: rcook@post-gazette.com. More articles by this author

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10103/10 ... z0kxOQ7Aim (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10103/1049930-87.stm#ixzz0kxOQ7Aim)

NJ-STEELER
04-13-2010, 02:17 AM
the league suspending players with no charges sets a bad precedent

sd steel
04-13-2010, 02:25 AM

Yeah, because suspending Pacman was a bad decision. :roll:

NJ-STEELER
04-13-2010, 02:38 AM
was it a he says she says story liike this one

i guess it was easier believeing the guy who was paralyed...no?

BradshawsHairdresser
04-13-2010, 02:50 AM
Getting an underage college co-ed drunk and then following her into the bathroom for sex...all while still under the cloud of a civil suit for rape...

It ought to be a 4-6 game suspension, I would think.

hawaiiansteel
04-13-2010, 02:50 AM

aren't we all innocent until proven guilty? Ben has been found guilty of using poor judgement, but that's all.

i predict a stern warning and talking to from Goodell, but no suspension.

BradshawsHairdresser
04-13-2010, 02:58 AM

aren't we all innocent until proven guilty? Ben has been found guilty of using poor judgement, but that's all.

Wrong. Ben has brought embarrassment upon the Rooneys, the Steelers, and the NFL.

Flasteel
04-13-2010, 07:27 AM

Wrong. Ben has brought embarrassment upon the Rooneys, the Steelers, and the NFL.

He has brought embarrassment to the Rooneys, Steelers, league, and even myself. But a 4-6 game suspension is completely absurd in my opinion.

How dare Ron Cook even draw the comparison between Pacman Jones, Mike Vick and Ben Roethlisberger. What in the hell is wrong with this guy? He also has to fan the flames of race and he doesn't even mention the lack of suspension for James Harrison or any other black player on the team or in the league who may have received the proverbial slap on the wrist.

Horrible article.

stlrz d
04-13-2010, 07:41 AM

i predict a stern warning and talking to from Goodell, but no suspension.

You are correct sir! I do not believe he will be suspended, nor should he be. It would be a bad precedent AND it would serve no other purpose than to punish both the fans and his teammates.

He has brought embarrassment to the Rooneys, Steelers, league, and even myself. But a 4-6 game suspension is completely absurd in my opinion.

How dare Ron Cook even draw the comparison between Pacman Jones, Mike Vick and Ben Roethlisberger. What in the hell is wrong with this guy? He also has to fan the flames of race and he doesn't even mention the lack of suspension for James Harrison or any other black player on the team or in the league who may have received the proverbial slap on the wrist.

Horrible article.

I saw the headline on my ESPN "Steelers Local News" page, saw who the author was and skipped right over it. Didn't read it here either. No reason to. The very idea of the title is simply absurd.

The Post-Gazette should suspend Ron Cook for yellow journalism. :lol:

Oviedo
04-13-2010, 08:16 AM
Cook's "race baiting" is totally uncalled for. Then again there is a reason that he is on the JV at the Post Gazette.

There are plenty of black athletes in the league who have transgressions and aren't suspended. As pointed out Harrison wasn't suspended.

Ben should be suspended because he embarassed his franchise with repeated bad decisions, not because of race to give the impression of balancing the scales. That kind of thinking is exactly why no one buys into BS like affirmative action anymore. What really is equal and fair.

Shawn
04-13-2010, 12:14 PM
And here comes the racial issues. This is what I'm talking about but people shy away from those posts. Goodell will come at Roethlisberger because of appearances. I'm not sure having sex in a public restroom warrants a suspension...but he will get one. There can't be any perception of favorable treatment based on position, success or color of skin. If Goodell doesn't suspend Ben...he is very ballsy and just asking for problems.

ANPSTEEL
04-13-2010, 12:16 PM
And here comes the racial issues. This is what I'm talking about but people shy away from those posts. Goodell will come at Roethlisberger because of appearances. I'm not sure having sex in a public restroom warrants a suspension...but he will get one. There can't be any perception of favorable treatment based on position, success or color of skin. If Goodell doesn't suspend Ben...he is very ballsy and just asking for problems.

I think you are absolutely correct.

pfelix73
04-13-2010, 12:27 PM
Yea, I don't think he should be suspended either. I don't like this road that the NFL is going down. Not only with Ben but for all others.

Just seems to me that the NFL could get sued by a suspended player and/or the NFL players union for this.

:2c

ANPSTEEL
04-13-2010, 12:30 PM
Yea, I don't think he should be suspended either. I don't like this road that the NFL is going down. Not only with Ben but for all others.

Just seems to me that the NFL could get sued by a suspended player and/or the NFL players union for this.

:2c

Personally, I am leaning towards the "he should be suspended" train of thought,

but

I absolutely agree with Shawn on this- that the league is going to be forced to suspend Ben to avoid any perceived inequality or preferential treatment.

Sugar
04-13-2010, 01:13 PM
First, the author comes off as a total jerk.

Second, the league and the team have no real basis to suspend Ben.

Third, I'm really disappointed in much of the Steeler Nation right now. Ben is our QB and the face of our franchise. He is handicapped by the fact that he has to use the safest legal language possible to convey what's going on. He can't be candid with us as I'm sure he'd like to be.

I thought that the Steeler Nation valued loyalty, well that is out the window the second a drunk sorority girl makes an accusation. He doesn't look the way that some of you would like or didn't read his obligatory prepared statement with enough contrition for some of you and you whine and complain about it. We don't even know that he followed her to the bathroom for pity's sake. The DA didn't even know that aside from her testimony.

One of the things that I have liked about Ben was that he wasn't some celebrity QB like the Mannings, Brady's, Leinarts, Romo's, Rivers, etc of the world. He's been like one of the guys. That will probably be lost forever now. He has been a class act on and off the field and the word of a gold digger chick and a drunk sorority chick don't change that for me.

sd steel
04-13-2010, 01:15 PM

Third, I'm really disappointed in much of the Steeler Nation right now. Ben is our QB and the face of our franchise. He is handicapped by the fact that he has to use the safest legal language possible to convey what's going on. He can't be candid with us as I'm sure he'd like to be.

I thought that the Steeler Nation valued loyalty, well that is out the window the second a drunk sorority girl makes an accusation. He doesn't look the way that some of you would like or didn't read his obligatory prepared statement with enough contrition for some of you and you whine and complain about it. We don't even know that he followed her to the bathroom for pity's sake. The DA didn't even know that aside from her testimony.

One of the things that I have liked about Ben was that he wasn't some celebrity QB like the Mannings, Brady's, Leinarts, Romo's, Rivers, etc of the world. He's been like one of the guys. That will probably be lost forever now. He has been a class act on and off the field and the word of a gold digger chick and a drunk sorority chick don't change that for me.

And denial isn't just a river in Egypt.

JAR
04-13-2010, 01:16 PM

:Clap :Clap

JAR
04-13-2010, 01:18 PM
Goodell can't suspend Ben because of poor morals. If he does, he's going to be issuing 100's of suspensions a year. Like I said earlier, if he suspends him on morals, Tom Brady should have been suspended for a year.

NJ-STEELER
04-13-2010, 06:31 PM
i predict al sharpton will show up somewhere if ben isn't suspended.

but then when guys like,harrison, braylon, etc etc are brought up...he'll disappear just as quickly.

i think the steelers want him suspended a game or two just to say they cant have this happen anymore and serve as a wake up.

but, instead of the getting off from goodell and suspending him themselves...they'll tell Rog to do it so there's no animosity towards the steelers by ben...just my 2 cents

NJ-STEELER
04-13-2010, 06:36 PM

well said