PDA

View Full Version : What does Ben Have to do to get the fans back?

Steel Life
04-12-2010, 09:15 PM
Now that he's used the "Nike-approved" statement about the conclusion of the GA investigation, what do you guys think he has to do in the coming months to reclaim his image with the fans & put this in the past as quickly as possible? My thoughts?...

1. Get a haircut before going to NY to meet Goodell - This is no different than going to court...look like good guy instead of a frat-boy.
2. Get the word out about his police-dog donations - The public should eat that up & it hasn't been pushed as it should.
3. Lay low during the next few months - Letting things settle will do a lot of good, especially with the news-cycles tendencies.
4. Get different friends - They may be good guys, but if they can't help you stay out of these situations then replace them.
5. Do more with childrens charities - The perception is out there that he's an ass, he needs to be seen as more caring & less selfish.
6. Get in great shape for the season - The fans will love the "re-dedication" to your team & your job if you come back "lean & mean".
7. Get a girlfriend - Better yet, get engaged...the sooner the better.

RuthlessBurgher
04-12-2010, 09:18 PM
8. Win his 3rd, and the Steelers' 7th Super Bowl.

Steel Life
04-12-2010, 09:22 PM
8. Win his 3rd, and the Steelers' 7th Super Bowl.
Yeah...that might help a bit too. :wink:

Sugar
04-12-2010, 09:26 PM
I've backed Ben all along and didn't think that the word of a drunk sorority chick should have been enough to charge him.

I'm still relieved that they didn't have anything to charge him with. My little girl still has her #7 jersey and can still wear it with pride.

JAR
04-12-2010, 09:33 PM
He could win 8 more Super Bowls and still not have the backing of a lot of fans.

frankthetank1
04-12-2010, 09:38 PM
He could win 8 more Super Bowls and still not have the backing of a lot of fans.

if he wins and stays out of these problems he will have 100% support. no more sexual assault accusations or motorcycle accidents. is that really too much to ask for? i really hope this is it. i hope ben isnt in any more headlines ever again unless its about winning super bowl's

hawaiiansteel
04-12-2010, 09:46 PM
he needs to get a different haircut... :wft

http://i40.tinypic.com/fctgch.jpg

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-12-2010, 09:48 PM
Play football

JAR
04-12-2010, 09:50 PM

http://live.drjays.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/steven_seagal_movies.jpg

:lol: Yeah, I don't know what's up with the slicked mullet look, but whatever.

SteelerNation1
04-12-2010, 09:58 PM

At least Steve had his sides equally as long as his top and back. WTF? Dude needs a cut ASAP!

calmkiller
04-12-2010, 09:59 PM
Mullets Own!

Sugar
04-12-2010, 10:03 PM
C'mon guys, the man is from Findlay after all. You can take a boy out of Findlay...

:wink:

snarky
04-12-2010, 10:05 PM
One comment. Anybody notice that last year when he made his statement on the McNulty case he did so from the Steelers press room (with Steelers and PNC logos behind him), but this was made from the locker room.

Steel Life
04-12-2010, 10:07 PM
One comment. Anybody notice that last year when he made his statement on the McNulty case he did so from the Steelers press room (with Steelers and PNC logos behind him), but this was made from the locker room.
Makes no difference, he couldn't use the facilities without brass approval no matter what room was used.

Steel Life
04-12-2010, 10:08 PM
Mullets Own!
Business up front...party in the back!

JAR
04-12-2010, 10:09 PM

He also had Tomlin with him too, didn't he? Not sure it means anything though.

ANPSTEEL
04-12-2010, 10:09 PM

yeah, whatever that is has got to go

Mohawk / mullet

Not a good look at all

NJ-STEELER
04-12-2010, 10:13 PM
nothing

DukieBoy
04-12-2010, 10:17 PM
As a Steelers QB on the field, win at least one more SB.
As a person off the field, quit being a douchebag.

stlrz d
04-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Play football

x2.

But like JAR posted, for some fans he never had them after winning 2 SBs, so there's nothing he can do to get back what he never had.

NJ-STEELER
04-12-2010, 10:41 PM
if he watched the statement he made

his hair is all slick back from the front thru the back

kind of like steven segal

Chadman
04-12-2010, 10:57 PM
How does he win back the fans?

How did Tiger win them back? Keep saying sorry, be humble, don't make waves, practice, make yourself available for selected interviews, don't shy away from the tough questions, be honest in your self appraisal, and go to Training Camp with that attitude of "it matters".

If he does those things, and then starts winning, people will start forgiving.

It's amazing how people love a winner.

fezziwig
04-12-2010, 11:02 PM
Stop being a punk and start winning again.

sd steel
04-12-2010, 11:22 PM
I've backed Ben all along and didn't think that the word of a drunk sorority chick should have been enough to charge him.

I'm still relieved that they didn't have anything to charge him with. My little girl still has her #7 jersey and can still wear it with pride.

But would you let him date her?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
04-13-2010, 12:16 AM

This is NOT a good comparison:

http://www.tmz.com/2010/04/12/steven-se ... en-nguyen/ (http://www.tmz.com/2010/04/12/steven-seagal-sexual-assault-lawsuit-executive-assistant-kayden-nguyen/)

Steven Seagal is accused of trafficking women for sex, according to a lawsuit obtained by TMZ.

A 23-year-old former model claims she interviewed with Seagal last February for the position of executive assistant. Kayden Nguyen says she got the job, but when she showed up for work, she learned, "Mr. Seagal had been keeping two young female Russian 'Attendants' on staff who were available for his sexual needs 24 hours a day, 7 days a week."

Nguyen alleges in her suit, one of the 'Attendants' had recently quit and it was this job -- not executive assistant -- Seagal intended her to fill.

Nguyen claims the very first night on the job, Seagal treated her "as his sex toy." Nguyen says in the lawsuit Seagal, pushed his hands under her skirt, tried fondling her breasts and forced his hand down her pants.

Nguyen says she complained the next morning -- unclear to whom -- but nothing was done.

Nguyen says the next day Seagal did it again, sexually assaulting her and forcing her to consume illegal pills. And she says there were other sexual assaults that followed.

According to the suit, Seagal said, "My wife wouldn't mind if you and I had a sexual relationship."

Nguyen is suing for more than a million bucks.

So far, no comment from Seagal.

Willie Colon, who had been visiting Mr. Seagal, said he had not seen anything untoward occuring, and had no further comments to make. :wink:

SS Laser
04-13-2010, 12:39 AM
I aslo had a great mullet back in 1994ish!

Maybe the hair will win #7 like the big old beard got #5.
He does look like he came from pittsburgh! :moon

NJ-STEELER
04-13-2010, 12:54 AM
the mohawk is back

shaving the sides short is back

can the mullet be far behind?

BlackJackGold
04-13-2010, 01:02 AM

He also had Tomlin with him too, didn't he? Not sure it means anything though.

Not only was Tomlin litterally standing behind him, but Art II was there also.

Litterally standing behind him.

Today, he couldn't even get William Gay to stand behind him.

:roll:

SteelAbility
04-13-2010, 07:25 AM

But what if those fans are fans of higher principles first and the Steelers second? I'm not saying I'm on the Ben hate bandwagon. I am saying that if you are a fan of the Steelers first and a fan of proper boundaries and higher priniciples second, you have completely lost your perspective and traded away your humanity.

If Hitler gave $200 million dollars to charity, there are still those of us who wouldn't give him our backing.

SteelAbility
04-13-2010, 07:30 AM
Consistency. Consistency. And more consistency.

stlrz d
04-13-2010, 07:32 AM

But what if those fans are fans of higher principles first and the Steelers second? I'm not saying I'm one of those fans. But if you are a fan of the Steelers first and proper boundaries and higher priniciples second, you have completely lost your perspective and traded away your humanity.

If Hitler gave $200 million dollars to charity, there are still those of us who wouldn't give him our backing.

When Ben is responsible for the deaths of millions of people then you'll have a good analogy.

JTP53609
04-13-2010, 07:36 AM
now I dont know if he raped her or not, nobody does exept for 2 people, but by the looks of ben, he sure does look the part....my gosh is he trying to look as ugly as possible, what is he doing to his face and hair in particular....

flippy
04-13-2010, 07:59 AM
win superbowls

Sugar
04-13-2010, 09:03 AM

Of course not, she's only 7 years old.

JAR
04-13-2010, 09:24 AM

But what if those fans are fans of higher principles first and the Steelers second? I'm not saying I'm on the Ben hate bandwagon. I am saying that if you are a fan of the Steelers first and a fan of proper boundaries and higher priniciples second, you have completely lost your perspective and traded away your humanity.

Then you should quit watching football. It's a violent sport and not made up of choir boys. I'm not saying I condone crime, but expecting a team to have an entire roster of do-gooders and expecting them all to live life the way you do, isn't going to happen. Hell, the Catholic Church can't even do it.

Jooser
04-13-2010, 09:28 AM

Sorry Sugar, but she backed off her 'word'. Had she persisted, he'd have been charged, take it to the bank.

He needs to grow up and quit chasing tail in public....period.

SteelAbility
04-13-2010, 09:35 AM

Then you should quit watching football. It's a violent sport and not made up of choir boys. I'm not saying I condone crime, but expecting a team to have an entire roster of do-gooders and expecting them all to live life the way you do, isn't going to happen. Hell, the Catholic Church can't even do it.

What I'm saying is that IF I sincerely believed the Steelers' QB to be a rapist, there's no way I root for him or the team as long he is the QB. And that mindset doesn't put me under any obligation by any standard to stop watching football.

Furthermore Football has rules of play and everyone comes in knowing the rules and with the chance to practice, train and expect aggressiveness from the opponent. It's a "fair fight." Rape involves no such thing and generally involves surprise and complete physical superiority by one side as compared to the other. Your implied comparison of the violence in football to the violence in rape isn't an apples/oranges comparison mismatch. It's a vinegar versus pizza comparison mismatch.

SteelAbility
04-13-2010, 09:39 AM

But what if those fans are fans of higher principles first and the Steelers second? I'm not saying I'm one of those fans. But if you are a fan of the Steelers first and proper boundaries and higher priniciples second, you have completely lost your perspective and traded away your humanity.

When Ben is responsible for the deaths of millions of people then you'll have a good analogy.

:roll:

You sir, are a !@#%!@%^!-ing idiot. It's called HYPERBOLE, in this case using an extreme case to draw attention to a principle. But since you are so focused on putting me in my place, you can't seem to think straight for even a quarter of a second.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-13-2010, 09:42 AM
[quote="steeler_fan_in_t.o.":2418n8yv]Play football

x2.

But like JAR posted, for some fans he never had them after winning 2 SBs, so there's nothing he can do to get back what he never had.[/quote:2418n8yv]

Two of the most beloved sports heroes of our generation......Kobe Bryant and Ray Lewis.

Nuf said.

Sugar
04-13-2010, 10:00 AM

Sorry Sugar, but she backed off her 'word'. Had she persisted, he'd have been charged, take it to the bank.

You know this? How very wise of you. Apparently there wasn't enough evidence to even charge the man, let alone convict him.

Ben is a great QB and a quality human being. He's been charitable and a great team mate and the word of a drunk sorority girl doesn't change that.

papillon
04-13-2010, 10:22 AM

You know this? How very wise of you. Apparently there wasn't enough evidence to even charge the man, let alone convict him.

Ben is a great QB and a quality human being. He's been charitable and a great team mate and the word of a drunk sorority girl doesn't change that.

Is putting himself first off the field being a great team mate? He's put the team at a disadvantage twice immediately after winning a Super Bowl; once riding a Hyabusa crotch rocket without a helmet and the second time with a high risk sexual encounter. On the field he is the epitome of a team mate, but his responsibility doesn't end on the field and he doesn't seem to be able to grasp this fact.

Pappy

Sugar
04-13-2010, 10:45 AM
He doesn't throw the OL under the bus when they almost get him killed. He doesn't throw the D under the bus when they blow 10 point leads in the 4 quarter how many times last year?

I could go on and on, but I think that's a pretty good team mate.

NWNewell
04-13-2010, 10:52 AM
Take responsibility and make the EFFORT to change. Go to counseling. Take your suspension (or whatever). And handle the criticism like a man.

Really, only time and a much improved track record will win back most fans. No speech, short term actions, or promises are going to cut it.

papillon
04-13-2010, 11:01 AM
He doesn't throw the OL under the bus when they almost get him killed. He doesn't throw the D under the bus when they blow 10 point leads in the 4 quarter how many times last year?

I could go on and on, but I think that's a pretty good team mate.

Is putting himself first off the field being a great team mate? He's put the team at a disadvantage twice immediately after winning a Super Bowl; once riding a Hyabusa crotch rocket without a helmet and the second time with a high risk sexual encounter. On the field he is the epitome of a team mate, but his responsibility doesn't end on the field and he doesn't seem to be able to grasp this fact.

If you read what I wrote in my above post you'll see that I acknowledge that he is the epitome of a team mate on the field. His responsibility doesn't end there and that may be too much of a burden for him to understand or potentially, even care about.

pappy

pfelix73
04-13-2010, 11:07 AM
What will it take to get the fans back? TIME. By the time the season rolls around, maybe even training camp, this will all be over.

:tt1

feltdizz
04-13-2010, 08:32 PM

:lol:

reminds me of the Chappelle show..
DC: "Michael Jackson is innocent, he did Thriller, Thriller!!!
Lawyer: so you would let your kid spend the night at Neverland Ranch?
DC: Fcuk NO!!!!