PDA

View Full Version : Ben to make statement at 7:00 pm

SteelBucks
04-12-2010, 05:51 PM
Roethlisberger to make statement at 7 p.m.
Monday, April 12, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ben Roethlisberger will issue a statement in the Steelers press room at 7 p.m. today, the team just announced. It will be the quarterback's first public statement since a 20-year-old woman claimed she was sexually assaulted by him in Georgia March 5.

Georgia authorities said today they will not prosecute the case.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10102/10 ... z0kvQSjYR6 (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10102/1049839-66.stm#ixzz0kvQSjYR6)

SteelBucks
04-12-2010, 05:54 PM
Also, here's a statement from Rooney. According to Bouchette, he's PO'd......

Rooney: Steelers "will determine the next steps" in Roethlisberger "process"
Monday, April 12, 2010

Steelers president Art Rooney said in a statement late this afternoon that the organization will consider the "next steps in this process" regarding quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

"During the past few weeks I have met with Ben on a number of occasions, not only to discuss this incident but also to discuss his commitment to making sure something like this never happens again," Rooney's statement came after officials in Georgia said this afternoon they would not pursue a sexual assault charge against Roethlisberger.

"The Pittsburgh Steelers take the conduct of players and staff very seriously. Ben will now have to work hard to earn back the respect and trust of Steelers fans, and to live up to the leadership responsibilities we all expect of him."

Rooney said NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell will meet with Roethlisberger "in the coming days" to "discuss his resolve to abide by the league's personal conduct standards."

The Steelers president left open possible discipline he could take against Roethlisberger.

"After consultation with the Commissioner, our organization will determine the next steps in the process," Rooney said.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10102/10 ... z0kvQv6bsj (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10102/1049837-66.stm#ixzz0kvQv6bsj)

Djfan
04-12-2010, 06:00 PM
I just can't see this being a fine/suspension issue. He was accused by a drunk, inconsistent, underaged girl. Then she says that she doesn't want it to continue. It's way too thin IMO. Let it go.

SteelBucks
04-12-2010, 06:05 PM
I just can't see this being a fine/suspension issue. He was accused by a drunk, inconsistent, underaged girl. Then she says that she doesn't want it to continue. It's way too thin IMO. Let it go.

I just want to hear what Ben has to say. I'm glad he's getting in front of the media and putting this to bed once and for all.

Sugar
04-12-2010, 06:07 PM

:Agree

I understand being upset about the wrong kind of attention being paid to the team this offseason, but there really isn't much to hang any kind of fine or suspension on.

SteelHead
04-12-2010, 06:12 PM
I'm glad Ben is coming right out and making a statement. Hopefully he looks clean cut , is extremely sincere and apologetic. This is only step 1 for Ben though , he's gonna have to bite the bullet and take a lot of judgment from media , coaches , fans etc..... , until he starts winning back some trust and putting this thing behind him.

I think it's rather obvious from the commishes statement("discuss his resolve to abide by the league's personal conduct standards.") that Ben won't get suspended. He'll have a very public and stern talking to at his office which will feed the medias need to punish Ben as well as allowing the commish to come of as the bad *ss he wants to be knows as. He'll also let Ben know that any whiff of off-field issues and he'll suspend him no matter what.

As far as the Rooneys , they have to be fuming mad. But even his statements are "toe-the-line" type of words. They'll probably require him to get some counseling to help the FO save face but I don't see him getting sat by the team for even a game. I just don't. They'll tell Ben the same thing the commish will tell him. Grow up , stop putting yourself in these situations and if you bring negative light on the Steelers again , your out the door. Making these statements public right away like this is almost the 1st part of Bens punishment , give him 40 lashes in the media back it up with a game plan to correct his issues that don't affect his ability to win games for the Steelers , call it a day and hope , I mean pray he stays squeaky clean from here on out.

flippy
04-12-2010, 06:12 PM
He needs to win a couple more superbowls.

SteelHead
04-12-2010, 06:15 PM

$ post.....

Sugar
04-12-2010, 06:16 PM
I don't see why Ben should be apologetic. Apologetic about what? If anything a controlled indignation would be better for being falsley accused by a drunk.

Lebsteel
04-12-2010, 06:20 PM
I hope Ben is not wearing the same long sleeved black shirt that he wore in Georgia .... :lol: :lol:

BURGH86STEEL
04-12-2010, 06:20 PM

I understand being upset about the wrong kind of attention being paid to the team this offseason, but there really isn't much to hang any kind of fine or suspension on.

That is enough to be suspended for under Goodell. It brings negative attention to the league and to the Steelers. It also does not paint Ben in a very good light. Trying to have sex with women he hardly knows in the bathrooms of bars is disgusting. There are also other negative thoughts that people have about Ben right now. Some of that negativity rubs off on the Steelers and the league.

She probably does not want to continue because Ben paid her off.

RuthlessBurgher
04-12-2010, 06:21 PM
Smart to have him face the media tonight ina controlled setting than having them camped out at the facility next week looking for a comment from Ben when he arrives for the first on-field OTA sessions prior to the draft.

NW Steeler
04-12-2010, 06:23 PM

I think 1 alone will make everyone forget. But I'll take 2!!

Mick'sTeam
04-12-2010, 06:29 PM
I don't see why Ben should be apologetic. Apologetic about what? If anything a controlled indignation would be better for being falsley accused by a drunk.
He's making a statement, that doesn't meanhe is going to apologize. However he could apologize for the bad press. Also, he definitely used poor judgement as he can avoid placing himself in situations where these accusations are even possible.

SteelHead
04-12-2010, 06:30 PM

Sugar , I don't reside on the "Bash Ben" side of the street so don't get me wrong. He's my favorite player and I do tend to give him the benefit of the doubt. That being said , it's hard for even me to not wonder about him. I choose to put that aside because none of us , no matter how much you think you do , know what happened that night. I'll choose to proceed on facts alone. Ben was drinking and fraternizing with under age girls in a Georgia college night club / bar. While there he had some sort of sexual interactions with a drunk college girl who consequently accused him of assault. These facts lead me to believe that Ben needs to seriously consider a change of lifestyle if he chooses to still be a franchise QB of a storied franchise in the NFL , if he wants to go work at Jiffy Lube then hit the club up Ben , no problems there. In closing , I will support Ben a 100% from here on out but even my leash will be shorter due to these accusations. I think any other way of looking at this whole ordeal is irresponsible.

Sugar
04-12-2010, 06:32 PM

That is enough to be suspended for under Goodell. It brings negative attention to the league and to the Steelers. It also does not paint Ben in a very good light. Trying to have sex with women he hardly knows in the bathrooms of bars is disgusting. There are also other negative thoughts that people have about Ben right now. Some of that negativity rubs off on the Steelers and the league.

Well, Goodell can't suspend her and she's the one that brought these meritless accusations. Ben didn't bring this on the team or the league- she did.

People try to have sex with people they hardly know constantly. If that somehow becomes a part of league policy, Ben won't have to worry about Goodell as much as half the league who will want to kill him for ruining their good time.

SteelHead
04-12-2010, 06:42 PM
People try to have sex with people they hardly know constantly. If that somehow becomes a part of league policy, Ben won't have to worry about Goodell as much as half the league who will want to kill him for ruining their good time.

There IS a difference between sex with strangers in private and sex with a strange intoxicated college girl inside a private bathroom in a packed night club with bodyguards standing outside.

Has nothing to do with my thoughts on the situation , just thought I'd point that out.

BURGH86STEEL
04-12-2010, 06:44 PM

Well, Goodell can't suspend her and she's the one that brought these meritless accusations. Ben didn't bring this on the team or the league- she did.

They are not merit less accusations. Will you feel/think differently if you find out that she was paid off? Something happen that night. You know what? Ben was there with her. It was his party and his guests. He was responsible for letting people he did not know into his private party. So I will say that Ben has a larger share of responsibility. He has to use better judgement. That is how I, other fans, the league, and the organization feels. If we did not feel this way, there would not be a discussion or meetings taking place. I believe he will be suspended from 1 to 4 games. It may actually do him some good.

So it makes it ok if people try to have sex with people they hardly know? Sorry but I don't conduct myself that way. I am sure there are millions of people that feel the same way that I do. There are valid reasons why I don't have sex with people I hardly know.

Steelgal
04-12-2010, 06:49 PM
If they don't carry it on NFLN or ESPN, will it be anywhere online??

Ozey74
04-12-2010, 06:54 PM

It will be on ESPN. Says on the TV, 'comming up LIVE'

Sugar
04-12-2010, 06:54 PM
They are not merit less accusations. Will you feel/think differently if you find out that she was paid off? Something happen that night. You know what? Ben was there with her. It was his party and his guests. He was responsible for letting people he did not know into his private party. So I will say that Ben has a larger share of responsibility. He has to use better judgement. That is how I, other fans, the league, and the organization feels. If we did not feel this way, there would not be a discussion or meetings taking place. I believe he will be suspended from 1 to 4 games. It may actually do him some good.

So it makes it ok if people try to have sex with people they hardly know? Sorry but I don't conduct myself that way. I am sure there are millions of people that feel the same way that I do. There are valid reasons why I don't have sex with people I hardly know.

I'm glad for your personal morality.

Sure, something did happen that night. But the only thing we actually know is that a drunk 20 year-old accused him of something that there wasn't enough evidence to charge him with.

If the Steelers or the NFL try to suspend him, he should fight it with the union and in the courts if necesarry. He already has no recourse against the accuser who has ruined his name. He shouldn't have to take that kind of junk from those who should believe in him.

NJ-STEELER
04-12-2010, 06:56 PM

you'd be naive to think this doesn't happen with every team in every sports league... married or not.

maybe not in the bathroom but back at her place, the hotel room, etc tec

kindlecatsb'ng
04-12-2010, 07:25 PM

Saw it on ESPN; also on KDKA.COM. kdka planned on airing live but there was some issue for them doing it.

Am glad this is behind him & team and looking forward to draft.

KC :tt2

SteelBucks
04-12-2010, 07:27 PM

Here's a transcript from the Post-Gazette.......

Roethlisberger expresses thanks and sorrow in statement
Monday, April 12, 2010

Ben Roethlisberger expressed his "gratitude" to Georgia prosecutors for not bringing charges against him and sorrow for the "disappointment and negative attention" he brought to his family, teammates and employers.

Dressed in a long-sleeve maroon button-down shirt with a white Nike Swoosh on its left wrist, Roethlisberger read a prepared statement this evening in the Steelers locker room:

"I'd like to begin by expressing gratitude for the thorough investigation process in Georgia and the Prosecutor's decision not to bring charges. I know without a doubt it is the right conclusion. I don't intend to discuss any details related to the events in Georgia. I am happy to put this behind me and move forward.

"I am truly sorry for the disappointment and negative attention I have brought to my family, my teammates and coaches, the Rooneys and the NFL. I understand that the opportunities I have been blessed with are a privilege, and that much is expected of me as the quarterback of Pittsburgh Steelers. I absolutely want to be the leader this team deserves, valued in the community and a role model to kids. I have much work to do to earn this trust, and I am committed to improving and showing everyone my true values.

"I am excited to get back to work with my teammates, and I am more determined than ever to have a great season. I intend to make my family, friends and the Steeler Nation proud on all fronts.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10102/10 ... z0kvoG8yw7 (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10102/1049839-100.stm#ixzz0kvoG8yw7)

BURGH86STEEL
04-12-2010, 07:29 PM

you'd be naive to think this doesn't happen with every team in every sports league... married or not.

maybe not in the bathroom but back at her place, the hotel room, etc tec

I am not naive at all sir. I know these things happen. The problem is that our QB put himself into that situation. Why is it that our QB has been accused twice? What is he doing wrong? Do you believe Ben needs to change his ways moving forward? Guilty or not, I believe that Ben will no longer be a Steeler if puts himself in this position again.

These guys open themselves up for all kinds of negativity with that behavior and by putting themselves in bad situations.

BURGH86STEEL
04-12-2010, 07:36 PM

I'm glad for your personal morality.

Sure, something did happen that night. But the only thing we actually know is that a drunk 20 year-old accused him of something that there wasn't enough evidence to charge him with.

If the Steelers or the NFL try to suspend him, he should fight it with the union and in the courts if necesarry. He already has no recourse against the accuser who has ruined his name. He shouldn't have to take that kind of junk from those who should believe in him.

I don't think he should fight it. He should take the suspension if that is what his employers choose to give him. Ben having a hard head about this will do him or anyone else no good.

Ben played a big part in dragging his name through the mud. He shouldn't have put himself in a situation to be accused in the first place. That's the point the Steelers and Goodell will make to him AGAIN.

NJ-STEELER
04-12-2010, 07:39 PM
yes i do believe he has to change, cause there's a big target on his back... proved by 2 separate authorities of law complete investigation that nothing criminal happened... even though i was 100 % behind him in this event and 90 % sure he wasn't guilty of what he was being accused of

SteelHead
04-12-2010, 07:48 PM
Just watched the Ben statement , pretty standard stuff but on a sidenote.....

Did anyone notice that haircut ?

sd steel
04-12-2010, 07:53 PM
Just watched the Ben statement , pretty standard stuff but on a sidenote.....

Did anyone notice that haircut ?

Nice mullet.....but I guess that's how you pull chicks in Georgia.

kindlecatsb'ng
04-12-2010, 07:58 PM
Ed Brouchette (sp?) from PG is on ESPN now being interviewed.

Steel Life
04-12-2010, 08:08 PM
There IS a difference between sex with strangers in private and sex with a strange intoxicated college girl inside a private bathroom in a packed night club with bodyguards standing outside.
How did you see what I was doing this weekend in downtown Orlando? :wink:

Mister Pittsburgh
04-12-2010, 08:09 PM
I once was a college student and have seen first hand how sorority girls work in a pack. Even if you and a girl are both equally drunk, if you try and do anything at all with them you are an evil bastard because 'you are trying to take advantage of the girl cause she is drunk'. Just how it is. I was in a fraternity and you could have 50 guys and 50 sorority chicks all drinking and dancing and having fun, but if you try and take on home then you are just a dirty person. Sorority chicks are lame.

Somewhere along this journey I swear I remember hearing Ben kicked one of the girls out of the VIP area. Want to bet it was one of the accusers sorority sisters? And who was it that first went to the police outside? Oh, it wasn't the accuser, it was her sorority sisters. When the cop asked if she had been raped she said no, they had sex. But then later she was raped. Seems like a crock of crap to me. Vindictive college girls thinking they are looking out for their friend but not really doing that.

So, do I think our boy Ben is a rapist? Hell no. Do I think he needs to learn to stick with his own kind at this point, which is of the rich, superstar type ilk....absolutely. He needs to get with rich chicks out in LA that could care less about his money cause they have their own. At this point it may be too late though as his rep has to be completely shot amongst that crowd. Another Superbowl win would cure that though.