PDA

View Full Version : Police asked her if she had been raped, she said no

PSU_dropout43
04-12-2010, 04:50 PM
MILLEDGEVILLE, Ga. -- Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will not be prosecuted on sexual assault allegations after the local district attorney today said a month-long investigation into the matter failed to prove that a crime was committed.

Ocmulgee Judicial Court District Attorney Fredric D. Bright, speaking at an afternoon news conference, announced the decision.

He said there was not enough evidence to prove the quarterback raped the woman in a Milledgeville bar bathroom. He said the woman was examined at a hospital after the alleged March 5 attack. A doctor could not say whether a superficial laceration, bruising and slight bleeding in the genital area were evidence of an assault or sexual activity.

A "minute" amount of male DNA was present, but not enough to develop a profile, so Mr. Bright said it would have been "futile" to ask Mr. Roethlisberger for a DNA sample.

Mr. Bright also said the woman had sent a letter to prosecutors asking that no charges be filed.

He said the woman, 20, was highly intoxicated during the night of bar hopping with her sorority sisters from the Georgia College & State University. After the woman emerged from the nightclub bathroom, her sisters took her to a police officer. He initially asked her if she had been raped, and she said no. But she later wrote statements saying there had been sex.

She alleged that Mr. Roethlisberger followed her into the bathroom and they had sex despite her saying it wasn't OK.

Mr. Roethlisberger initially told an officer that he remembered the woman, that he told her she was too drunk to be in the VIP area of the club, and that the woman fell and injured her head, Mr. Bright said. He added doctors at the hospital found no head injuries.

Investigators were not able to interview the quarterback since the night of the incident.

Mr. Bright said he was not condoning Mr. Roethlisberger's conduct. But he said his office doesn't prosecute morals, just crimes.

He noted, however, that the quarterback shouldn't be putting himself in such a position -- inviting only women to a private part of a club and buying shots for them.

He said he would advise Mr. Roethlisberger to "grow up."

Mr. Roethlisberger's Atlanta-based attorney, Edward Garland, has consistently maintained that his client committed no crime.

The Milledgeville Police Department and several agents with the Georgia Bureau of Investigation collected evidence, reviewed videotapes and interviewed numerous witnesses before turning their findings over to Mr. Bright last week.

According to Georgia law, the district attorney had the option of dropping the matter, pursuing felony charges of sexual assault or reducing the charge to a misdemeanor of sexual battery, involving "the nonconsensual touching of another person's body in a sexual manner."

Today's development doesn't mean Mr. Roethlisberger emerges unscathed. He still could be the target of a civil lawsuit from the woman seeking damages, similar to the situation he faces with a 30-year-old Nevada woman who claims he sexually assaulted her in Lake Tahoe in 2008. That case is in limbo while the Nevada Supreme Court considers a change-of-venue appeal by defense attorneys seeking to move it from Reno, where it was filed, to a court in Lake Tahoe.

The Steelers quarterback also could face action by the National Football League, which has a personal conduct policy. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell last month said he intends to meet with Mr. Roethlisberger because, "We are concerned that Ben continues to put himself in this position."

There are also the issues of Mr. Roethlisberger's profile in the community and the public perception of him, as well as the endorsement deals that come with being a two-time Super Bowl-winning quarterback.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10102/10 ... z0kv0CRdXn (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10102/1049817-100.stm#ixzz0kv0CRdXn)

aggiebones
04-12-2010, 05:12 PM
This is a bit stronger of an article compared to the other one I just responded to.

Still vague and who knows who else had sex with this chick. All said and done, she will be coming after his pocket book. That much is for sure. She will not go quietly into the night.
This is the first time I've seen that it had been said that she had had sex. I was under the impression that she had not had sex per previous hospital visit comments.

sd steel
04-12-2010, 06:13 PM
This is a bit stronger of an article compared to the other one I just responded to.

Still vague and who knows who else had sex with this chick. All said and done, she will be coming after his pocket book. That much is for sure. She will not go quietly into the night.
This is the first time I've seen that it had been said that she had had sex. I was under the impression that she had not had sex per previous hospital visit comments.

I disagree, I don't think you will hear from her again. I think by the findings and statements as to what occurred she probably already got paid off. I also think it is quite obvious to see that Ben, if not an outright rapist, has no problem trying to manipulate drunk and crazy women to have sex with him. Hopefully this trend doesn't continue, but after listening to the DA and all of the evidence, then Ben claiming not to know the womans name, and saying she fell and hit her head only leads me to believe that he was trying to cover up his actions. Although he won't be found guilty in court, his punishment will be brought to him by the public and maybe even the FO.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-12-2010, 06:18 PM
Obviously nobody can say for sure, but I bet she got paid off to shut up and go away.

phillyesq
04-12-2010, 06:25 PM
I think there is a likelihood that a confidential settlement was reached. If not, her initial statement to police, the statement from the DA that there was not even probable cause (a lower standard than is needed in a civil case), and her letter saying she didn't want to press charges would all make it very difficult and unlikely that she would proceed with a civil suit.

I think this case is closed.

Steelgal
04-12-2010, 06:26 PM

I disagree, I don't think you will hear from her again. I think by the findings and statements as to what occurred she probably already got paid off. I also think it is quite obvious to see that Ben, if not an outright rapist, has no problem trying to manipulate drunk and crazy women to have sex with him. Hopefully this trend doesn't continue, but after listening to the DA and all of the evidence, then Ben claiming not to know the womans name, and saying she fell and hit her head only leads me to believe that he was trying to cover up his actions. Although he would be found guilty in court, his punishment will be brought to him by the public and maybe even the FO.

We differ there because I don't believe Ben to be an outright rapist. And I can not count the number of guys I've ran into over the years that haven't tried to manipulate drunk women to have sex. Have you never been to a frat party??? They're crawling with guys like that. Yes, Ben should be WAY more mature than a typical frat boy and he hasn't shown that. But do I put Ben up on a pedestal because he's the quarterback for my favorite team and think he should be held to a higher standard? No! But that's me, I don't idolize athletes or movie stars. I hope I and my husband are the role model for our 3 kids, not anyone else..

sd steel
04-12-2010, 06:35 PM

I disagree, I don't think you will hear from her again. I think by the findings and statements as to what occurred she probably already got paid off. I also think it is quite obvious to see that Ben, if not an outright rapist, has no problem trying to manipulate drunk and crazy women to have sex with him. Hopefully this trend doesn't continue, but after listening to the DA and all of the evidence, then Ben claiming not to know the womans name, and saying she fell and hit her head only leads me to believe that he was trying to cover up his actions. Although he would be found guilty in court, his punishment will be brought to him by the public and maybe even the FO.

We differ there because I don't believe Ben to be an outright rapist. And I can not count the number of guys I've ran into over the years that haven't tried to manipulate drunk women to have sex. Have you never been to a frat party??? They're crawling with guys like that. Yes, Ben should be WAY more mature than a typical frat boy and he hasn't shown that. But do I put Ben up on a pedestal because he's the quarterback for my favorite team and think he should be held to a higher standard? No! But that's me, I don't idolize athletes or movie stars. I hope I and my husband are the role model for our 3 kids, not anyone else..

I don't know Ben personally, but I have heard the phrase "no means no", , I am not holding him to a higher standard, just stating what the DA said transpired.
Trying to coerce a 20 year old drunk chick to have sex in a dingy bathroom is not necessarily rape, but it could be.

stlrz d
04-12-2010, 07:09 PM

I disagree, I don't think you will hear from her again. I think by the findings and statements as to what occurred she probably already got paid off. I also think it is quite obvious to see that Ben, if not an outright rapist, has no problem trying to manipulate drunk and crazy women to have sex with him. Hopefully this trend doesn't continue, but after listening to the DA and all of the evidence, then Ben claiming not to know the womans name, and saying she fell and hit her head only leads me to believe that he was trying to cover up his actions. Although he won't be found guilty in court, his punishment will be brought to him by the public and maybe even the FO.

Well here you go...you're already there so just get on board with 'em.

http://forums.chargers.com/

:roll:

sd steel
04-12-2010, 07:29 PM
[quote=aggiebones]This is a bit stronger of an article compared to the other one I just responded to.

:roll:[/quote:3ojzceil]
Why? Because I think Ben's accuser could be stating some truth? I already told you, I don't root for individual players, I root for the colors and the city of Pittsburgh, because that's where my roots are. You don't know what happened so shut up, and you live in green bay or wherever so why don't you root for the Pack?

stlrz d
04-12-2010, 07:35 PM
[quote="sd steel":1blcl65p][quote=aggiebones]This is a bit stronger of an article compared to the other one I just responded to.

:roll:[/quote:1blcl65p]
Why? Because I think Ben's accuser could be stating some truth? I already told you, I don't root for individual players, I root for the colors and the city of Pittsburgh, because that's where my roots are. You don't know what happened so shut up, and you live in green bay or wherever so why don't you root for the Pack?[/quote:1blcl65p]

That would apply to you posting things like "forcibly had sex with a drunk 20 year old" too, yes?

;)

sd steel
04-12-2010, 07:39 PM
[quote="stlrz d":37wbwm8r][quote="sd steel":37wbwm8r][quote=aggiebones]This is a bit stronger of an article compared to the other one I just responded to.

:roll:[/quote:37wbwm8r]
Why? Because I think Ben's accuser could be stating some truth? I already told you, I don't root for individual players, I root for the colors and the city of Pittsburgh, because that's where my roots are. You don't know what happened so shut up, and you live in green bay or wherever so why don't you root for the Pack?[/quote:37wbwm8r]

That would apply to you posting things like "forcibly had sex with a drunk 20 year old" too, yes?

;)[/quote:37wbwm8r]
Where there is smoke there is fire. I would tend to believe he did something to bring about an accusation.

SS Laser
04-12-2010, 07:41 PM
We differ there because I don't believe Ben to be an outright rapist. And I can not count the number of guys I've ran into over the years that haven't tried to manipulate drunk women to have sex. Have you never been to a frat party??? They're crawling with guys like that. Yes, Ben should be WAY more mature than a typical frat boy and he hasn't shown that. But do I put Ben up on a pedestal because he's the quarterback for my favorite team and think he should be held to a higher standard? No! But that's me, I don't idolize athletes or movie stars. I hope I and my husband are the role model for our 3 kids, not anyone else..[/quote]

Thank you for one of the best posts on this board for a long time! You are a very smart gal. :Bow
An this is something I will teach my daughter! Althetes, movie stars, "rock" stars are NOT ROLE MODELS! Never have been as far as I am concerned

stlrz d
04-12-2010, 07:43 PM
Where there is smoke there is fire. I would tend to believe he did something to bring about an accusation.

I would tend to believe this drunk chick invited him into the bathroom with the promise of a good time, got going, hit her head, told her friends what happened and the "story" grew from there.

Where there's sorority girl smoke there's sorority girl fire.

I've got a lot of time...we can play this all night if you'd like.

sd steel
04-12-2010, 07:52 PM
[quote="sd steel":2p8ft9an]

I would tend to believe this drunk chick invited him into the bathroom with the promise of a good time, got going, hit her head, told her friends what happened and the "story" grew from there.

Where there's sorority girl smoke there's sorority girl fire.

I've got a lot of time...we can play this all night if you'd like.[/quote:2p8ft9an]

No need, you have made it clear that no matter what you will support your idol. Again, why do you care what I think? I am just a Steeler fan in San Diego. Who in your opinion doesn't know too much about football anyways if I remember correctly.

Steel Life
04-12-2010, 08:01 PM
I have to agree with D on this...this always seemed like a "Girls Gone Wild" type of incident. And with the revelation that she wanted to drop the charges back in mid-March, I think you're seeing some evidence of her realizing that HER behavior would be scrutinized just as much as Ben's. If a settlement hasn't been reached already, I'm sure that one soon will be - albeit with an iron-clad non-disclosure agreement in place.

sd steel
04-12-2010, 08:10 PM
I'm just saying that "girls gone wild" type chicks normally don't make up rape charges, they normally get laid and take pictures. But it's water under the bridge, Ben got off, I just found the DA's presser to leave more of a shadow of a doubt that something occured. I think if this was completely unsubstantiated, he (the DA) would have said there is no truth to any of the accusations, and we apologize to Ben for putting him through this.

DukieBoy
04-12-2010, 08:12 PM
Think McNutty's attorney will try to bring this alleged victim into the case in Nevada as a witness?

snarky
04-12-2010, 08:14 PM
IMO, the bottom line is that there is a crap-load of grey area on this one and people will simply look at it it differently and put different weights on the various things that came to light today.

Ben has enjoyed the benefit of a standard for proof in criminal cases that is beyond just a 50/50 -- and rightly so. But (again IMO) it is impossible to translate that into any indication of what actually happened. There were traces of male DNA in the rape kit. Was it his? It seems almost certain we will never know. There was bruising in the genital area that may or may not have been the result of sexual assault.

I'm glad both parties seem to be walking away from this incident turning out (at least to some degree) how they want it to. I hope Ben can move on and get back to football -- but I think there will always be a cloud of doubt around him after this.

Steel Life
04-12-2010, 08:39 PM
Think McNutty's attorney will try to bring this alleged victim into the case in Nevada as a witness?
Her lawyer (a crank himself) has already said that they will be bringing items from this into their case. I think the difference for them is that the civil case is all they have & Ben is fighting this one vehemently...matter of fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see Ben put his GA lawyer on the Reno case to draw it to faster conclusion. Shouldn't be that hard to reveal her for the obsessed nut-job she is.

NJ-STEELER
04-12-2010, 10:09 PM
read on another site the victim (LOL) had a DFT sticker on her the night in question.

DFT = down to f_ck... you can buy your own vowel to figure it out

i guess now we know why those angel little sorority sisters whut down their facebook account and what not

stlrz d
04-12-2010, 10:33 PM
read on another site the victim (LOL) had a DFT sticker on her the night in question.

i guess now we know why those angel little sorority sisters whut down their facebook account and what not

Perfect. :lol:

sd steel
04-12-2010, 10:35 PM

Wouldn't that be DTF ?

I also heard she was wearing a shirt that said "I wanna Bang Big Ben"

stlrz d
04-12-2010, 10:36 PM
I have to agree with D on this...this always seemed like a "Girls Gone Wild" type of incident. And with the revelation that she wanted to drop the charges back in mid-March, I think you're seeing some evidence of her realizing that HER behavior would be scrutinized just as much as Ben's. If a settlement hasn't been reached already, I'm sure that one soon will be - albeit with an iron-clad non-disclosure agreement in place.

Ding.

This chick, according to one of the many news stories I read, comes from a wealthy family in the Atlanta suburbs. My theory is that once she did what she did she realized it would get back to her family, and possibly embarrass them, so she rolled with the SA accusation to try and save face.

Too many holes in the story put a stop to that.

birtikidis
04-12-2010, 10:41 PM
Where there is smoke there is fire
or just two people smoking a cigerette after some good sex.

NJ-STEELER
04-12-2010, 10:46 PM
[quote="NJ-STEELER":1ds52yop]read on another site the victim (LOL) had a DFT sticker on her the night in question.

Wouldn't that be DTF ?
g Big Ben"[/quote:1ds52yop]

typo

sd steel
04-12-2010, 11:39 PM
[quote="Steel Life":3fynsn4e]I have to agree with D on this...this always seemed like a "Girls Gone Wild" type of incident. And with the revelation that she wanted to drop the charges back in mid-March, I think you're seeing some evidence of her realizing that HER behavior would be scrutinized just as much as Ben's. If a settlement hasn't been reached already, I'm sure that one soon will be - albeit with an iron-clad non-disclosure agreement in place.

Ding.

This chick, according to one of the many news stories I read, comes from a wealthy family in the Atlanta suburbs. My theory is that once she did what she did she realized it would get back to her family, and possibly embarrass them, so she rolled with the SA accusation to try and save face.

Pretty bad theory. Wouldn't she get much more attention by crying rape rather than having sex in a small bathroom with no witnesses? Call me crazy, but I think she did more than enough to embarrass her family being drunk underage and in a bar.

Too many holes in the story put a stop to that.[/quote:3fynsn4e]

stlrz d
04-13-2010, 07:28 AM
[quote="stlrz d":xywkdxag][quote="Steel Life":xywkdxag]I have to agree with D on this...this always seemed like a "Girls Gone Wild" type of incident. And with the revelation that she wanted to drop the charges back in mid-March, I think you're seeing some evidence of her realizing that HER behavior would be scrutinized just as much as Ben's. If a settlement hasn't been reached already, I'm sure that one soon will be - albeit with an iron-clad non-disclosure agreement in place.

Ding.

Pretty bad theory. Wouldn't she get much more attention by crying rape rather than having sex in a small bathroom with no witnesses? Call me crazy, but I think she did more than enough to embarrass her family being drunk underage and in a bar.

Too many holes in the story put a stop to that.[/quote:xywkdxag][/quote:xywkdxag]

Think of the TYPE of attention.

1) Our whore daughter had sex in a club bathroom with an NFL QB.

2) Our daughter drank in a bar while being underage (like many, many college students do) and was assaulted by a horrible monster who thinks he can do whatever he wishes.

#1 is definitely major embarrassment. #2 is "shame on her for being underage and drunk, but look what this guy did to her".

#2 would definitely be preferable to #1. Far less of an embarrassment.

Ghost
04-13-2010, 08:05 AM

I live in GA and the story here was the national sorority stepped in and told them to take down the FB page - b/c other sorority sisters of the alleged victim were saying nothing happened and they didn't believe her. Apparrently she wasn't a nun...