PDA

View Full Version : Lawyer opinon - how right/wrong is it to use "victim" ...

SanAntonioSteelerFan
04-12-2010, 04:14 PM
... for the DA to use the word "victim" in a case he decides to not prosecute?

As a layman, it seems libelous - shouldn't he have said "complainant" or "alleged victim" or something?

Can he be sued for defamation of character?

Thanks!

(Ben will pay for your legal opinion ...)

SS Laser
04-12-2010, 04:20 PM
He corrected himself after a reporter asked him the question that he was saying it over and over. He clairified a number of things when he was answered questions.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
04-12-2010, 04:24 PM
He corrected himself after a reporter asked him the question that he was saying it over and over. He clairified a number of things when he was answered questions.

I hope that transcript gets released too - maybe someone could post it at: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11383 (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11383)

But if he used that word incorrectly and repeatedly (and it is now all over the internet, can't be pulled back), I'd seriously think about suing him if I were Ben.

Shawn
04-12-2010, 04:27 PM
I certainly wouldn't sue the guy who has power to prosecute you. And if he corrected himself later...it's not slanderous.

papillon
04-12-2010, 04:28 PM

I hope that transcript gets released too - maybe someone could post it at: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11383 (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11383)

But if he used that word incorrectly and repeatedly (and it is now all over the internet, can't be pulled back), I'd seriously think about suing him if I were Ben.

I think at this point Ben should just quietly move on with being the Steeler quarterback. He dodged a bullet as far as I'm concerned. The McNutty case is still hanging around out in Nevada and who knows where that ends up.

Pappy

SanAntonioSteelerFan
04-12-2010, 04:28 PM
I certainly wouldn't sue the guy who has power to prosecute you. And if he corrected himself later...it's not slanderous.

Even if the damage is done already (internet, etc....)?

But you guys are probably right ... just move on. It just p*sses me off that the DA can get his little licks in like that, scot free.