PDA

View Full Version : Charges Against Reed Dropped

calmkiller
04-12-2010, 02:23 PM
Charges dropped against Steelers kicker Jeff Reed
Monday, April 12, 2010
By Jim McKinnon, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A city magistrate today dismissed remaining charges against Steelers kicker Jeff Reed, citing his completion of community service.

Reed had been charged with four counts stemming from an incident outside a North Shore bar in October.

Police said Mr. Reed interfered with them and tried to fight them when they tried to cite teammate Matt Spaeth for urinating in a parking lot.

Judge Richard King previously threw out resisting arrest and simple assault charges. He then gave the kicker six weeks to complete 40 hours of community service.

Today, Salvation Army Maj. Robert Reel spoke on Mr. Reed's behalf, saying the player enthusiastically worked for the agency.

Judge King dismissed the remaining charges of disorderly conduct and public drunkenness.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10102/10 ... z0kuZ93rvv (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10102/1049815-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz0kuZ93rvv)

Ghost
04-12-2010, 02:30 PM
Today is like the end of The Godfather when Michael says, "today I settled all family business". The Steelers can now move forward with getting ready for the 2010 season, hopefully incident free.

Nice to hear Reed did his service enthusiastically. I don'think he's a bad guy, just a bit of a lunk head.

papillon
04-12-2010, 04:46 PM
Today is like the end of The Godfather when Michael says, "today I settled all family business". The Steelers can now move forward with getting ready for the 2010 season, hopefully incident free.

Nice to hear Reed did his service enthusiastically. I don'think he's a bad guy, just a bit of a lunk head.

Yup, Holmes, Ben and Reed all squared away in one day. I'm glad to hear that Skippy served honorably as well. How many days until the draft? :tt2

Pappy

aggiebones
04-12-2010, 05:15 PM
Lunk head. What a perfect word for Reed. I don't dislike him either and he's not much dumber than many men in their mid 20s. So we have our own idiot kicker. Let's hope he and Ben don't square off like Manning and Venitieri.

RuthlessBurgher
04-12-2010, 06:42 PM
Lunk head. What a perfect word for Reed. I don't dislike him either and he's not much dumber than many men in their mid 20s. So we have our own idiot kicker. Let's hope he and Ben don't square off like Manning and Venitieri.

Vanderjagt was Peyton's drunken idiot kicker. Vinatieri was his replacement.

birtikidis
04-13-2010, 07:27 PM
I also read that they signed him to a one year contract. does that mean that the Franchise tag is off him now? or did he just sign the franchise tender..

RuthlessBurgher
04-13-2010, 07:35 PM
I also read that they signed him to a one year contract. does that mean that the Franchise tag is off him now? or did he just sign the franchise tender..

He signed the tender offer.

Updated: April 13, 2010, 6:39 PM ET
Reed signs $2.814M tender offer
Associated Press

PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers kicker Jeff Reed has signed his $2,814,000 tender offer.

Reed is the most accurate kicker in Steelers history, converting 83.3 percent of his career attempts (189-of-227). He was 27-of-31 last season.

Reed, who was in position to become a free agent before being designated as the franchise player, is hopeful of signing a long-term contract.

Reed signed one day after a Pittsburgh judge dismissed disorderly conduct and public drunkenness charges against him. Reed was charged in October following a postgame incident with police outside of a bar near Heinz Field.

Judge Richard King dropped two charges in March and told Reed he would also dismiss the remaining two charges if Reed completed community service.

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5082867

birtikidis
04-13-2010, 08:53 PM
oh ok. for some reason the report I read was that he signed a one year deal. it didn't specify if it was the Tag or not. but since this went to the second page so fast, I totally forgot to ask.

RuthlessBurgher
04-14-2010, 10:22 AM
The charges against Reed were dropped when the paper towel dispenser declined to cooperate with the police investigation any further (although the towel dispenser hasn't yet ruled out the possibility of a civil suit). :P

http://nicepickcowher.com/files/2009/09/jeff-reed_paper_towel_rage_roid_dispenser_kick_kicker_s teelers-610x457.jpg