PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben is not charged!

SteelCrazy
04-12-2010, 02:04 PM
Yayyyyyyy!!!

birtikidis
04-12-2010, 02:07 PM
homeboy still made it sound like Ben did it...
kept calling the girl victim..
did find semen.. just not much... couldn't extract enough dna...

birtikidis
04-12-2010, 02:10 PM
"we do not prosecute morals, we prosecute crimes" DA
Victim did not want to pursue the matter any further.
think ben offered her some cash?

Steelgal
04-12-2010, 02:10 PM

DA is being a total jerk IMO. Should be 'alledged victim'. He's doing his hardest to smear Ben.

birtikidis
04-12-2010, 02:12 PM

DA is being a total jerk IMO. Should be 'alledged victim'. He's doing his hardest to smear Ben.
He thinks that Ben is guilty, you can see it in his face and his body language.
like I said, I think the girl offered to drop it if Ben would just give her some money...

Mister Pittsburgh
04-12-2010, 02:13 PM
hmmm. no mention of an underage girl that altered a government document to attempt to get booze being drunk in a bar......

Steelgal
04-12-2010, 02:14 PM

He thinks that Ben is guilty, you can see it in his face and his body language.
like I said, I think the girl offered to drop it if Ben would just give her some money...

I agree....

Also if the letter was received in March 17th, I think it was stated, why drag it out so long.

Ghost
04-12-2010, 02:15 PM
hmmm. no mention of an underage girl that altered a government document to attempt to get booze being drunk in a bar......

The bar was 18 an older. She didn't need a fake id to get in.

Steelgal

Nope, he had enough info either way to make either the 'alledged victim' or Ben look bad and he directed it towards Ben.

steelblood
They said

Ben bought her shots.
A body guard led her down a dark hallway to a single stall bathroom where Ben later arrived.

A little shady to say the least.

Also, if they know Ben bought her shots, can't they prosecute that? She was 20 after all.

Victim does not want to prosecute anymore.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-12-2010, 02:17 PM

you must have closed your eyes while reading so you missed the last 4 words of that sentence.

Steelgal
04-12-2010, 02:17 PM

She could get in, but she shouldn't have been drinking, regardless of who provided it.

Ghost
04-12-2010, 02:20 PM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":2vd8kr0s]hmmm. no mention of an underage girl that altered a government document to attempt to get booze being drunk in a bar......

you must have closed your eyes while reading so you missed the last 4 words of that sentence.[/quote:2vd8kr0s]

Has it been reported she had a fake id with her that night? I haven't heard that. My response was based on the fact she didn't need to alter a government document to get into the bar. If you had just said she was drinking illegally then I would have agreed.

LouSteel
04-12-2010, 02:21 PM
:Clap

Good to hear.

I wonder if Ben ends up suspended by the team as an attempt to send him a message.

Either way, Ben needs to take his lumps and start working on improving his image. He'll find himself losing quite a bit of endorsements and the good will of the public and for what?

steelblood
04-12-2010, 02:21 PM

Nope, he had enough info either way to make either the 'alledged victim' or Ben look bad and he directed it towards Ben.

Yeah, he said he does not condone Ben's behavior but there is not enough evidence to prosecute. By Ben's behavior, I believe he was referring to buying her shots until she was obviously intoxicated and then having "contact" (whatever that was) in the single stall bathroom in a back hall. I don't love Ben's behavior here either.

She also had a superficial wound on her genital area with male DNA (but not enough to provide an ID).

hellbanger
04-12-2010, 02:24 PM
It sounds like Ben just dodged a bullet. I hope he isn't of the mind set of being untouchable and continues his partying, Please Ben, remove your head from your butt.

Steelgal
04-12-2010, 02:25 PM

Yeah, he said he does not condone Ben's behavior but there is not enough evidence to prosecute. By Ben's behavior, I believe he was referring to buying her shots until she was obviously intoxicated and then having "contact" (whatever that was) in the single stall bathroom in a back hall. I don't love Ben's behavior here either.

She also had a superficial wound on her genital area with male DNA (but not enough to provide an ID).

Ben was an idiot, I'm not questioning that AT ALL. But it seemed to me he wanted to point out anything that would make Ben look bad and not the 'alledged' victim.

pfelix73
04-12-2010, 02:26 PM
And from what I'm hearing now on NFL Network, this whole thing could be over for good- including the Civil part of it. Sounds like there was a confidential civil settlement made back in March- this might be why she said she would not agree to prosecute.

The DA did make him out to be a jerk though, and that wasn't cool.

Ben- take my advice- stay the hell out of college bars for now on.

calmkiller
04-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Alleged victim said on March 17 that she wanted to drop the case
Posted by Mike Florio on April 12, 2010 2:16 PM ET
Lost in the much-hyped announcement that Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger won't face charges for sexual assault is the fact that, as District Attorney Fred Bright said Monday, the alleged victim's lawyer told Bright on March 17 that she no longer wished to pursue the matter.

Bright said he met with the alleged victim and her family 10 days ago, and they confirmed that they did not want to pursue the matter.

So why the dog and pony show? This one is a no brainer. If the victim doesn't want to proceed, it would be even harder for Bright and company to get a conviction.

And the outcome leaves open the door that Roethlisberger's lawyers quickly and quietly settled the claim in the days between March 5 and March 17. We're not saying that it occurred this way, but this is the way it would go down if a secret and confidential payment had been made.

Jom112
04-12-2010, 02:28 PM
@mortreport DA provided lot of detail; just said on SC I believe Goodell was still disgusted by what he heard, as are Rooneys.

@mortreport DA: Roethlisberger provided alcohol; accuser led by bodyguard to bathroom; Ben followed.

So providing alcohol to an under-aged girl is no longer a crime?

snarky
04-12-2010, 02:30 PM
Yikes. In some ways, this creates as many questions as it answers...but clearly good news for the Steelers that he is not facing an arrest. But IMO, there will always be questions about Ben after this. This will be part of Ben's image for a long time given that it certainly was not a complete exoneration.

ANPSTEEL
04-12-2010, 02:34 PM
My thoughts...

I agree with those who are suggesting the DA believed Ben is guilty.

He repeatedly used the word "victim" as opposed to "accuser" - that had to be intentional.

The fact that the girl was led to the bathroom by one of Ben's bodyguards, and Ben followed behind- and into the bathroom certainly seems beyond creepy.

Male DNA was present- just not enough to be useful in identifying the individual.

Superficial laceration and bruising on her genital region.

She wrote a letter indicating she did not want to pursue the case. I wonder if she was paid off. And- I wonder how much this factored into the DA not filing charges.

I was amazed the DA was so forthcoming in respect to the details.

That came across as very damning towards Ben.

Ben is gonna get a suspension- IMO.

proudpittsburgher
04-12-2010, 02:34 PM
yea, I'm glad it's over, but I don't feel any better about it.

phillyesq
04-12-2010, 02:38 PM
@mortreport DA provided lot of detail; just said on SC I believe Goodell was still disgusted by what he heard, as are Rooneys.

@mortreport DA: Roethlisberger provided alcohol; accuser led by bodyguard to bathroom; Ben followed.

DA said that he could only prosecute that with the testimony of the girl, and said he'd also have to prosecute her for underage drinking.

snarky
04-12-2010, 02:38 PM
My thoughts...

I agree with those who are suggesting the DA believed Ben is guilty.

He repeatedly used the word "victim" as opposed to "accuser" - that had to be intentional.

The fact that the girl was led to the bathroom by one of Ben's bodyguards, and Ben followed behind- and into the bathroom certainly seems beyond creepy.

Male DNA was present- just not enough to be useful in identifying the individual.

Superficial laceration and bruising on her genital region.

She wrote a letter indicating she did not want to pursue the case. I wonder if she was paid off. And- I wonder how much this factored into the DA not filing charges.

I was amazed the DA was so forthcoming in respect to the details.

That came across as very damning towards Ben.

Ben is gonna get a suspension- IMO.

Right, it's almost like he was saying "I would try this if the victim was willing to testify"

Oviedo
04-12-2010, 02:39 PM
And from what I'm hearing now on NFL Network, this whole thing could be over for good- including the Civil part of it. Sounds like there was a confidential civil settlement made back in March- this might be why she said she would not agree to prosecute.

The DA did make him out to be a jerk though, and that wasn't cool.

Ben- take my advice- stay the hell out of college bars for now on.

Ben is a jerk and deserve every ounce of public humiliation that he gets. He has the decision making ability of a college frat boy. Hopefully this makes him grow up. He has no business being anywhere like a college bar. He makes millions per year not minimum wage.

steelblood
04-12-2010, 02:39 PM

Ben was an idiot, I'm not questioning that AT ALL. But it seemed to me he wanted to point out anything that would make Ben look bad and not the 'alledged' victim.

The DA criticizing the victim is never going to happen unless she lies to him or deliberately misleads him. His job is to protect victims. Let us not lose sight of the fact that the DA clearly said that the crime at hand was "rape." Criticizing someone who may be a rape victim is generally bad form.

Sugar
04-12-2010, 02:46 PM
Ben is a jerk and deserve every ounce of public humiliation that he gets. He has the decision making ability of a college frat boy. Hopefully this makes him grow up. He has no business being anywhere like a college bar. He makes millions per year not minimum wage.

This makes NO sense to me. What does the amount of money one makes have to do with where you should hang out? Call Ben a jerk if you want but there he hasn't been charged with so much as a misdemeanor.

ikestops85
04-12-2010, 02:47 PM

I think it is but if she were wearing the wrist band how would Ben know? Also, It was the bar that was serving her ... I don't know that it matters who paid for it but I could be wrong about that.

Ben has convinced me once and for all that he isn't the brightest bulb in the pack but I'm glad he isn't being charged. I just wish the DA made it sound more like he was innocent.

ANPSTEEL
04-12-2010, 02:51 PM
LOTs of people calling for Ben to be released.

Including Mike Logan.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/player?rd= ... ign=WEAEAM (http://espn.go.com/espnradio/player?rd=1#/live/?callsign=WEAEAM)

papillon
04-12-2010, 02:51 PM

This makes NO sense to me. What does the amount of money one makes have to do with where you should hang out? Call Ben a jerk if you want but there he hasn't been charged with so much as a misdemeanor.

The DA even stated that if Ben were his son he would tell him to grow up, that you don't need to do this any longer and he's right. Ben doesn't need to hang out like a frat boy in a bar looking for a little tail.

Pappy

ANPSTEEL
04-12-2010, 02:59 PM

The DA even stated that if Ben were his son he would tell him to grow up, that you don't need to do this any longer and he's right. Ben doesn't need to hang out like a frat boy in a bar looking for a little tail.

Pappy

You know- thinking about this- the DA went out of his way to portray Ben in a bad light. I think he did this to intentionally "penalize" Ben- even if only via public opinion.

SteelAbility
04-12-2010, 03:00 PM
Did he say anything about inconsistencies in the girls' story? Supposedly that was one of the big case killers.

steelblood

Pappy

The whole part about the body guard leading the obviously drunk girl down the back hall to the single stall bathroom where Ben later showed up really gives me the willies. I really hope Ben didn't orchestrate that. We'll never know, I suppose.

hellbanger
LOTs of people calling for Ben to be released.

Including Mike Logan.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/player?rd= ... ign=WEAEAM (http://espn.go.com/espnradio/player?rd=1#/live/?callsign=WEAEAM)
The Steelers should start taking offers, He might not of been charged but this is still not good at all.

Shawn
04-12-2010, 03:02 PM
"we do not prosecute morals, we prosecute crimes" DA
Victim did not want to pursue the matter any further.
think ben offered her some cash?

I now think so.

To be honest...it was still a he said she said...but vaginal lacs and bruising? Isn't that what convicted Tyson. Yeah I think Ben made this go away.

Jom112
04-12-2010, 03:05 PM
DA said that he could only prosecute that with the testimony of the girl, and said he'd also have to prosecute her for underage drinking.

That makes sense, no need to charge the girl...

phillyesq
04-12-2010, 03:05 PM
Did he say anything about inconsistencies in the girls' story? Supposedly that was one of the big case killers.

The DA mentioned 3 versions. First story, she was hammered, said no rape. That changed as things progressed.

I did a little summary of the DAs part of the press conference here:

http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11374

Sugar
04-12-2010, 03:10 PM

Pappy

My understanding was that he went out to celebrate his birthday with a number of friends. The DA can have his opinions, but they don't mean jack to me.

BURGH86STEEL
04-12-2010, 03:17 PM

Pappy

You know- thinking about this- the DA went out of his way to portray Ben in a bad light. I think he did this to intentionally "penalize" Ben- even if only via public opinion.

Ben portrayed himself in a bad light. It did not take the DA to point that out.

SteelAbility
04-12-2010, 03:21 PM

The DA mentioned 3 versions. First story, she was hammered, said no rape. That changed as things progressed.

Quote from your post ...

DA says everybody could be criticized for that night. His advice to Ben - grow up! You don't need to put yourself in this position anymore. You can do better.

That doesn't seem like the DA thinks Ben is a rapist or committed rape. You don't say "grow up" to a rapist. You let him know your righteous indignation for his total miserable state as a human being.

This sounds to me like the DA thought the girl was perhaps a victim of verbal abuse or slight physical abuse (like a shove or a little shot in a moment of anger/frustration) where he likely regretted it immediately after the fact.

It also looks like there was an initial agreement of something, then the girl decided to back out of it. Ben was horny as Jay bird and got really pissed when she backed out and reacted with a physical shot at her.

My 2C.

Oviedo
04-12-2010, 03:28 PM

Pappy

He also did it because he lives there and doesn't just blow into town to visit and party. Georgia State is probably the largest employer and the economic lifeblood of that community and he did his best to put himself on their side because they vote for him.

fezziwig
04-12-2010, 03:32 PM
The DA started out with the word victim and continued to the end with the word victim, he thinks Ben is guilty. Be it guilty of rape or just a big fish in a small pond the DA was trying to make his point that, Ben wasn't found guilty but not found innocent either.

ROLROC
04-12-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote from your post ...

DA says everybody could be criticized for that night. His advice to Ben - grow up! You don't need to put yourself in this position anymore. You can do better.

That doesn't seem like the DA thinks Ben is a rapist or committed rape. You don't say "grow up" to a rapist. You let him know your righteous indignation for his total miserable state as a human being.

This sounds to me like the DA thought the girl was perhaps a victim of verbal abuse or slight physical abuse (like a shove or a little shot in a moment of anger/frustration) where he likely regretted it immediately after the fact.

It also looks like there was an initial agreement of something, then the girl decided to back out of it. Ben was horny as Jay bird and got really pissed when she backed out and reacted with a physical shot at her.

My 2C.
+1

SS Laser
04-12-2010, 03:53 PM
Some of you guys need to go watch the DA speak. It was not as bad as some of you make it sound. For crap sake he said there was not even enough evidance for an arrest.

He made it sound sound like two drunk people went to screw and it did not happen. Inturn telling ben quit hanging out trying to screw drunk chicks! GROW UP.

You guys like a ton others are making way more of this then it is, just like you did from the get go. :HeadBanger

snarky
04-12-2010, 03:58 PM
Some of you guys need to go watch the DA speak. It was not as bad as some of you make it sound. For crap sake he said there was not even enough evidance for an arrest.

Actually, he did not say that.

EDIT: Unless he said that directly later in the press conference. What he did say at the beginning is that there is not enough evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the charges against Ben were true and therefore, he would not be arrested. But maybe he clarified that point later on.

papillon
04-12-2010, 04:02 PM

Pappy

My understanding was that he went out to celebrate his birthday with a number of friends. The DA can have his opinions, but they don't mean jack to me.

We can portray the DA as a bad guy all we want here, the truth is that Ben should grow up and begin to present himself as the face of a 1 billion dollar business not some college frat boy looking for a little late night action. The DA is right; it may not cast a positive light on Ben, but the DA is absolutely right, IMO.

The more I hear the more it's very unsettling. I'm sure the DA believes that something untoward happened that night, but he has no way to prove any of it. The girl was led back to a dimly lit bathroom and Ben followed. :wft That's a huge grow the "F" up right there.

Pappy

papillon
04-12-2010, 04:03 PM

Pappy

Quote for truth. Ben didn't need the DA's help at all he handled that all on his own.

Pappy

SteelAbility
04-12-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote from your post ...

My 2C.
+1

I also forgot the part about the DA saying everyone was a bit to blame. That sounds like he has actually made an effort to see it from both sides and feels both sides have credibility from a reasonable scenario point of view. I'm sure the girl and her family are screaming as much about the DA telling Ben to grow up as we are screaming about his constant referral to the girl as "the victim."

Zigs
04-12-2010, 04:07 PM

He made it sound sound like two drunk people went to screw and it did not happen. Inturn telling ben quit hanging out trying to screw drunk chicks! GROW UP.

You guys like a ton others are making way more of this then it is, just like you did from the get go. :HeadBanger

:Clap 100% correct!!

papillon
04-12-2010, 04:07 PM

There it is folks. This is exactly how he made it sound. It was two bad decisions by two drunk horny adults. He probably wanted to say, "take it to a hotel room for crying out loud and get your nut off."

Pappy

papillon
04-12-2010, 04:10 PM

EDIT: Unless he said that directly later in the press conference. What he did say at the beginning is that there is not enough evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the charges against Ben were true and therefore, he would not be arrested. But maybe he clarified that point later on.

He did, basically, between the girl not wanting to push the issue any farther and the results from any testing he admitted that there wasn't enough evidence for probable cause or an arrest.

Papillon

SS Laser

I hope someone finds the transcript of the DA. I could be wrong but yes it was while he was answering questions. Not his opening statement.

ANPSTEEL

Quote for truth. Ben didn't the DA's help at all he handled that all on his own.

Pappy

oh I agree with you guys-

My point was

there is no need to have a press conference to discuss any of this.

He could have just said- No charges will be filed, and left it at that. Or he could have released a statement to the same.

But keep in mind-

that the DA clearly went out of his way to share the evidence with the public through the press conference.

He repeatedly called the girl the "victim".

I think that was the DA's method of delivering his own form of punishment- even if he was not able to prosecute the case.

Sugar
04-12-2010, 04:17 PM

Pappy

We can portray the DA as a bad guy all we want here, the truth is that Ben should grow up and begin to present himself as the face of a 1 billion dollar business not some college frat boy looking for a little late night action. The DA is right; it may not cast a positive light on Ben, but the DA is absolutely right, IMO.

The more I hear the more it's very unsettling. I'm sure the DA believes that something untoward happened that night, but he has no way to prove any of it. The girl was led back to a dimly lit bathroom and Ben followed. :wft That's a huge grow the "F" up right there.

Pappy

I never said the DA was a bad guy. He may be a perfectly fine guy for all I know. All I said was that his opinion doesn't mean jack to me. What he can prove is all that matters to me as far as he's concerned.

IMO, people need to lighten up. They want to take the word of a drunk 20-year old who we don't know at all over our own QB. This is a man who has shown himself to be more than extemely charitible and exudes good character in other instances that we do know about- like NOT choosing to throw his underachieving line under the bus or whining about the D letting them down late in games.

This girl obviously drank too much and maybe Ben went back to hold her hair while she puked? Maybe one of the bodyguards did something? I don't know. None of us do. We do know that whatever happened wasn't enough to bring a real charge. That means it's time to get ready for the draft and training camp and the 2010 season.

RuthlessBurgher
04-12-2010, 04:23 PM
[quote="SS Laser":1q0lxkg9]Some of you guys need to go watch the DA speak. It was not as bad as some of you make it sound. For crap sake he said there was not even enough evidance for an arrest.

I hope someone finds the transcript of the DA. I could be wrong but yes it was while he was answering questions. Not his opening statement.[/quote:1q0lxkg9]

The transcript is here: http://pit.scout.com/2/961691.html but unfortunately it does not have the Q&A portion included yet (but it does say "Will be updated with reporters' Q&A).