PDA

View Full Version : 49ers, Packers speak to Colon's agent?:

SteelerfaninWV
04-12-2010, 01:42 PM
http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story ... ers/24366/ (http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/source-colons-agent-trying-to-gauge-interest-from-49ers-and-packers/24366/)

Dee Dub
04-12-2010, 01:45 PM
Are you kidding me?? I'd take the 13th (San Francisco),overall pick in a heart beat for Colon. Sign me up!!

calmkiller
04-12-2010, 01:46 PM
Hells yes. If we could get a first rounder outta Willie that would be amazing. He was a fourth round pick, 131 overall. That would be a good turn around. Essex can move out to RT and we can have two first rounders this year.

steelblood
04-12-2010, 01:47 PM
No way in Hell this happens, but I'd be excited if it did.

ANPSTEEL
04-12-2010, 01:48 PM
Are you kidding me?? I'd take the 13th (San Francisco),overall pick in a heart beat for Colon. Sign me up!!

No shyyt.

All over it.

papillon
04-12-2010, 02:02 PM
There's no way either of those teams give up their first for Colon. They want someone to think they're in the market for a RT prior to the draft. Just my opinion, unless, Colon's agent is a better salesman than I'm giving him credit for.

Pappy

Dee Dub
04-12-2010, 02:08 PM
There's no way either of those teams give up their first for Colon. They want someone to think they're in the market for a RT prior to the draft. Just my opinion, unless, Colon's agent is a better salesman than I'm giving him credit for.

Pappy

Why Not? You get an established RT who has actually improved over the past two years. A player who was on a super bowl championship team and a player who actually graded out last year as one of the top RT tackles in the league. A guy who comes in right away and starts. All for an unproven draft pick who is going to take time to develop.

I actually said this could happen a month ago.

Oviedo
04-12-2010, 02:11 PM

Pappy

Why Not? You get an established RT who has actually improved over the past two years. A player who was on a super bowl championship team and a player who actually graded out last year as one of the top RT tackles in the league. A guy who comes in right away and starts. All for an unproven draft pick who is going to take time to develop.

I agree. It is just delusional fans on this board who continue to criticize Colon when the folks who play against him grade him out high. Then again this board always views unproven rookies as better than what we have on the OL.

SteelCzar76
04-12-2010, 02:15 PM
I seriously do not like the odds of the Niners giving up one of their 1st's for Colon. However,...their second round pick for an established quality player at a position where they could most certainly use the help is another story entirely. Not to mention the fact that they would not have to pay a 2nd rounder after having to do so with two relatively high 1st round selections.

Things could get interesting here,...

Jom112
04-12-2010, 02:19 PM
Colon or Anthony Davis?

Colon or Charles Brown?

That's probably the decisions that the 49ers and Packers are deciding between. I wouldn't be shocked if one of those happened...

Dee Dub
04-12-2010, 02:37 PM
I seriously do not like the odds of the Niners giving up one of their 1st's for Colon. However,...their second round pick for an established quality player at a position where they could most certainly use the help is another story entirely. Not to mention the fact that they would not have to pay a 2nd rounder after having to do so with two relatively high 1st round selections.

Yeah but Colon is a restricted free agent and if the 49ers sign him they must give up their first round pick to the Steelers as compensation.

Suggesting a trade for a second round pick would be a mistake for the Steelers.

papillon
04-12-2010, 02:49 PM

Pappy

Because, at the positions they are drafting at you are looking for an impact player, not a RT. But, the fact that he is a proven NFL RT does make it attractive to teams. I believe the Steelers would be happy for a first round pick for Colon due to their success at drafting first round prospects.

Pappy

steelblood
04-12-2010, 02:53 PM

Pappy

I agree. It is just delusional fans on this board who continue to criticize Colon when the folks who play against him grade him out high. Then again this board always views unproven rookies as better than what we have on the OL.

Maybe for Green Bay's pick, but not San Fran's at 13. That would blow my mind. Eh, I still don't see it happening for Green Bay's pick. A first rounder for Colon and you will still have to pay him 7 mil per or so. That is a lot to give up for a right tackle who is a good run blocker and average pass protector.

SteelCzar76
04-12-2010, 02:57 PM

Yeah but Colon is a restricted free agent and if the 49ers sign him they must give up their first round pick to the Steelers as compensation.

Suggesting a trade for a second round pick would be a mistake for the Steelers.

Forgot about that clause Dub. (Niners having to give up a first) And as such,...then forget about IMO. As i said,...i do not see the Niners giving up either of their 1st round picks for Colon with the level of talent of the players that they are in position to take. (Haden, Spiller or even Earl Thomas)

steelblood
04-12-2010, 03:05 PM
Colon or Anthony Davis?

Colon or Charles Brown?

That's probably the decisions that the 49ers and Packers are deciding between. I wouldn't be shocked if one of those happened...

I could buy Colon for Anthony Davis. There are similar players.

But, Charles Brown is a left tackle, elite athlete. Yeah, you'd be drafting him based on his potential to play left tackle, but it is still a very different position from RT and valued very differently in this league.

RuthlessBurgher
04-12-2010, 03:34 PM
Colon or Anthony Davis?

Colon or Charles Brown?

What about...

Colon or Jared Gaither?

Gaither has shown the ability to play LT in this league, while Colon is solely a RT. Both Colon and Gaither have the same 1st round RFA tender. If I were the Niners or Packers, I would prefer the 24 year old 6'9" 340 lbs. Gaither to the 27 year old 6'3" 315 lbs. Colon.

Jom112
04-12-2010, 03:40 PM
Colon or Anthony Davis?

Colon or Charles Brown?

What about...

Colon or Jared Gaither?

Gaither has shown the ability to play LT in this league, while Colon is solely a RT. Both Colon and Gaither have the same 1st round RFA tender. If I were the Niners or Packers, I would prefer the 24 year old 6'9" 340 lbs. Gaither to the 27 year old 6'3" 315 lbs. Colon.

True. I even hear the Ravens are willing to part with him for a 2nd round pick, because he's reportedly lazy...

steelblood
04-12-2010, 03:57 PM
Colon or Anthony Davis?

Colon or Charles Brown?

I could buy Colon for Anthony Davis. They are similar players.

But, Charles Brown is a left tackle, elite athlete. Yeah, you'd be drafting him based on his potential to play left tackle, but it is still a very different position from RT and valued very differently in this league.

birtikidis
04-13-2010, 07:33 PM
has there been any news regarding this?

RuthlessBurgher
04-13-2010, 07:39 PM
has there been any news regarding this?

I haven't heard anything new, but the last day for R.F.A.'s to sign offer sheets with other teams is this Thursday (since teams have a week to match, and if not, they can get draft compensation, and the draft starts a week from Thursday).

Shoe
04-14-2010, 12:53 AM

While I generally agree with you (that insiders grading do know much more than we)... we also aren't blind. We (or at least the vast majority of us) watch every play of every game. And while I'll agree that Colon isn't as horrible as claimed a lot of time on this board...

I've watched Steeler football many a year. I've seen much better RT play from the likes of Ilkin, Searcy... heck, even Strezelczyk was a better RT IMO.

skyhawk
04-14-2010, 01:57 AM
You guys seem to forget the Steelers just DONT make trades like this.

steelernation77
04-14-2010, 02:29 AM
It's not a trade. Colon is free to sign with any team so long as said team compensates the Steelers with a first round pick and the Steelers are given an opportunity to match the offer.

skyhawk
04-14-2010, 02:52 AM
It's not a trade. Colon is free to sign with any team so long as said team compensates the Steelers with a first round pick and the Steelers are given an opportunity to match the offer.

My bad. I meant "move".

Also, I wasn't sure that Colon was actually a restricted FA right NOW.

steelblood
04-14-2010, 08:18 AM

While I generally agree with you (that insiders grading do know much more than we)... we also aren't blind. We (or at least the vast majority of us) watch every play of every game. And while I'll agree that Colon isn't as horrible as claimed a lot of time on this board...

I've watched Steeler football many a year. I've seen much better RT play from the likes of Ilkin, Searcy... heck, even Strezelczyk was a better RT IMO.

You are right. Colon is going nowhere. He is a decent tackle but he is not worth a first round pick AND a 6-7 million per year contract.

skyhawk
04-14-2010, 01:45 PM

You are right. Colon is going nowhere. He is a decent tackle but he is not worth a first round pick AND a 6-7 million per year contract.

Damn, Searcy and Strzelczyk played on one of the best Steeler offensive lines of all time. They are worlds better than Colon ever will be.

aggiebones
04-14-2010, 03:16 PM
Steelers will sit and wait. If someone wants him for a first rounder, then we'll let them. If not, they won't get him. He's a proven player for us too and no second rounder would be worth conceding him. He's better than any other random RTs floating around on the wire.

If he gets signed away, we would package picks and go after someone like Baluga. Essex or Hills would not be involved in the starting discussions.

There is a reason the Steelers haven't made any overtures towards him about a new contract. They hope someone takes him.

RuthlessBurgher
04-14-2010, 03:49 PM
An interesting symptom of the Santonio trade is that we may be able to sign Colon to a long term extension now. For a while, we have been talking about how difficult something like that could be, because we also need to extend Holmes and Woodley. Well, with Holmes out of the picture now, some of that money could be freed up for guys like Colon and Timmons.

birtikidis
04-14-2010, 04:48 PM
Steelers will sit and wait. If someone wants him for a first rounder, then we'll let them. If not, they won't get him. He's a proven player for us too and no second rounder would be worth conceding him. He's better than any other random RTs floating around on the wire.

If he gets signed away, we would package picks and go after someone like Baluga. Essex or Hills would not be involved in the starting discussions.

There is a reason the Steelers haven't made any overtures towards him about a new contract. They hope someone takes him.
I'm sure we wouldn't let him go for a second rounder. but a first... which is the tender we assigned him, then yea we would.