PDA

View Full Version : Per Peter King on Ben....

steelerkeylargo
04-12-2010, 12:02 PM
for what its worth

It's unlikely the commissioner would use use his far-reaching "the-shield-has-been-tarnished'' powers to suspend Roethlisberger for a brief period at the start of the season for his second sex-related accusation in eight months, especially without criminal charges. What may make more sense is a ban of a game or two by the upstanding Steelers, who could use conduct-detrimental-to-the-team as a reason to sit Roethlisberger. In a city like Pittsburgh, the populace would applaud a slap upside the head to Big Ben

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/w ... z0ku0ctlvD (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/04/11/bryant/index.html?eref=sihp#ixzz0ku0ctlvD)
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

aggiebones
04-12-2010, 05:30 PM
I disagree. Making him sign autographs EVERY day in the preseason. Make him write a big check to a women's shelter. Make him sit with old ladies twice a week at the old folks home. Make him stand on his head in the rain.

But if you suspend him for even 2 games, you may be sentencing us to miss the playoffs. It will be that tight this season to get wins. That is a penalty for the entire team and the fans. Why punish all of us and the team for his transgressions.

Sugar
04-12-2010, 05:34 PM
I can't agree with suspending Ben for any games. The man hasn't done anything to merit it. If they (the NFL or the Steelers) try it, I would go to the union and fight it tooth and nail if I were Ben.

Steelgal
04-12-2010, 05:41 PM
I can't agree with suspending Ben for any games. The man hasn't done anything to merit it. If they (the NFL or the Steelers) try it, I would go to the union and fight it tooth and nail if I were Ben.

I think it's more likely the Steelers do something, than the NFL. They suspended Tone for one game when the league did nothing.

hawaiiansteel
04-12-2010, 05:44 PM

you and me both, no way should there be a suspension of any kind.

anyone can accuse somebody, but in this country you are supposedly innocent until proven guilty. the only thing Ben has been guilty of so far is poor judgement, but i will agree that it's time for him to grow up and I'm sure the Rooneys, Tomlin and Roger Goodell will make that very clear to Ben.

but that should be the extent of it, unless Ben does something stupid again of course. in that case, we should trade him to the Raiders.

Sugar
04-12-2010, 05:44 PM

I think it's more likely the Steelers do something, than the NFL. They suspended Tone for one game when the league did nothing.

Who knows? They just might. Still, Ben should fight it if they try. The testimony of a drunk 20-year old shouldn't be enough to suspend him.

Steelgal
04-12-2010, 05:46 PM

Who knows? They just might. Still, Ben should fight it if they try. The testimony of a drunk 20-year old shouldn't be enough to suspend him.

They can suspend him for "conduct detrimental to the team" or something like that, for putting himself in such a bone-head predictament.

Sugar
04-12-2010, 06:14 PM

They can suspend him for "conduct detrimental to the team" or something like that, for putting himself in such a bone-head predictament.

The problem is, then they would have to specify the conduct in question. That's where it gets hairy.

sd steel
04-12-2010, 06:19 PM

The problem is, then they would have to specify the conduct in question. That's where it gets hairy.

I think acting like and a-hole in a public setting and then attempting to forceably have sex with a drunk 20 year old would be sufficient.

stlrz d
04-12-2010, 07:02 PM
I think acting like and a-hole in a public setting and then attempting to forceably have sex with a drunk 20 year old would be sufficient.

You were there?

sd steel
04-12-2010, 07:32 PM
[quote="sd steel":8ydtasdd]

You were there?[/quote:8ydtasdd]
No, but that's what the DA said and seemed to believe, but he didn't have physical evidence to prove it. And the guys on the NFL network seem to think that not only will Goodell suspend him, the Rooney's might as well. (Stated aboutn 5 minutes ago).

stlrz d
04-12-2010, 07:40 PM
[quote="stlrz d":27we9r37][quote="sd steel":27we9r37]

You were there?[/quote:27we9r37]
No, but that's what the DA said and seemed to believe, but he didn't have physical evidence to prove it. And the guys on the NFL network seem to think that not only will Goodell suspend him, the Rooney's might as well. (Stated aboutn 5 minutes ago).[/quote:27we9r37]

Well I happen to believe she banged some other dude either before or after she met up with Ben.

So there's your bit of evidence that they had.

;)

Assumption - 1. The act of taking to or upon oneself: assumption of an obligation.
2. The act of taking possession or asserting a claim: assumption of command.
3. The act of taking for granted: assumption of a false theory.
4. Something taken for granted or accepted as true without proof; a supposition: a valid assumption.
5. Presumption; arrogance.
6. Logic A minor premise.

Hey, if you can do it I can too....

sd steel
04-12-2010, 07:48 PM
[quote="sd steel":1qqjom4o][quote="stlrz d":1qqjom4o][quote="sd steel":1qqjom4o]

You were there?[/quote:1qqjom4o]
No, but that's what the DA said and seemed to believe, but he didn't have physical evidence to prove it. And the guys on the NFL network seem to think that not only will Goodell suspend him, the Rooney's might as well. (Stated aboutn 5 minutes ago).[/quote:1qqjom4o]

Well I happen to believe she banged some other dude either before or after she met up with Ben.

;)

Assumption - 1. The act of taking to or upon oneself: assumption of an obligation.
4. Something taken for granted or accepted as true without proof; a supposition: a valid assumption.

Hey, if you can do it I can too....[/quote:1qqjom4o]
He beat the rap, I am happy it's over, but I am ticked that he continues to put himself in these situations, and why do you care what I think or assume? Hopefully someday Ben will date your sister or daughter, and you can continue to worship him. :Blah

SS Laser
04-12-2010, 07:55 PM
Guys after all the weeks of Ben this Ben that you just let him off the hook?

He needs to sit for a game or two. Sorry guys but he will learn nothing if he walks scott free. The drinking will be one of goodalls problems with him. So he might enter the league substance abuse deal. There are some boneheaded moves Ben has done. He needs some help and consequences!

pfelix73
04-12-2010, 08:25 PM
I agree with StlrzD. He said, She said sort of thing. She knew what she was doing---
:tt1

JAR
04-12-2010, 08:40 PM
I agree with StlrzD. He said, She said sort of thing. She knew what she was doing---
:tt1

Anyone still backing the accuser in any way should go root for the Browns.

Sugar
04-12-2010, 08:52 PM

He needs to sit for a game or two. Sorry guys but he will learn nothing if he walks scott free. The drinking will be one of goodalls problems with him. So he might enter the league substance abuse deal. There are some boneheaded moves Ben has done. He needs some help and consequences!

Wow, that's a crock of "crap."

He was let off the hook because he didn't do anything wrong. You are ready to punish a guy based on the word of a drunk girl?

Steel Life
04-12-2010, 08:54 PM

First, I'm sure he's learned something...like not trusting anyone or that he's screwed up & is lucky to be walking away from this relatively unscathed.

Second, his drinking can only be a problem if he's either shown up for games or pressers drunk, or had some drinking related charges & as far as we know - he's had neither. He's a single guy of legal drinking age, so aside from being Namath or Mantle-like in his carousing - he's done nothing wrong.

Now I agree with you that he needs help - but with his judgment & I believe the Steelers & Goodell will make that a priority for him. But to say he's getting off the hook?...silly. He's going to be heckled everywhere he goes, his after-hours habits will be scrutinized & severely curtailed, & he quite possibly has lost a good segment of the Steeler fan-base. So tell us again how he's getting off the hook?

stlrz d
04-12-2010, 10:31 PM
[quote="stlrz d":3dg0pc1y][quote="sd steel":3dg0pc1y][quote="stlrz d":3dg0pc1y][quote="sd steel":3dg0pc1y]

You were there?[/quote:3dg0pc1y]
No, but that's what the DA said and seemed to believe, but he didn't have physical evidence to prove it. And the guys on the NFL network seem to think that not only will Goodell suspend him, the Rooney's might as well. (Stated aboutn 5 minutes ago).[/quote:3dg0pc1y]

;)

Hey, if you can do it I can too....[/quote:3dg0pc1y]
He beat the rap, I am happy it's over, but I am ticked that he continues to put himself in these situations, and why do you care what I think or assume? Hopefully someday Ben will date your sister or daughter, and you can continue to worship him. :Blah[/quote:3dg0pc1y]

"Beating the rap" implies guilt. He may be guilty of something and he may not be.

The point isn't worship...the point is you get ticked about things and so do I. And one of the things I get ticked about is people making idiotic assumptions when they did not witness firsthand what took place.

NJ-STEELER
04-12-2010, 10:38 PM
[quote="SS Laser":1u2wrwkt]Guys after all the weeks of Ben this Ben that you just let him off the hook?

First, I'm sure he's learned something...like not trusting anyone or that he's screwed up & is lucky to be walking away from this relatively unscathed.

Second, his drinking can only be a problem if he's either shown up for games or pressers drunk, or had some drinking related charges & as far as we know - he's had neither. He's a single guy of legal drinking age, so aside from being Namath or Mantle-like in his carousing - he's done nothing wrong.

Now I agree with you that he needs help - but with his judgment & I believe the Steelers & Goodell will make that a priority for him. But to say he's getting off the hook?...silly. He's going to be heckled everywhere he goes, his after-hours habits will be scrutinized & severely curtailed, & he quite possibly has lost a good segment of the Steeler fan-base. So tell us again how he's getting off the hook?[/quote:1u2wrwkt]

well said

sd steel
04-12-2010, 10:49 PM
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what occurred that night. Take off the Steeler blinders. If nothing at all happened why isn't the DA stating that everything the chick said is false, and we apologize to Ben? Because he, who has first hand knowledge of the incident, thinks Ben was in some way guilty. He stated as much in his presser, not only that, they said the chick was a Steeler fan, do you think she, if really a fan would want to send Ben to jail?
Some of you guys kill me with your hero worship BS.

stlrz d
04-12-2010, 10:53 PM
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what occurred that night. Take off the Steeler blinders. If nothing at all happened why isn't the DA stating that everything the chick said is false, and we apologize to Ben? Because he, who has first hand knowledge of the incident, thinks Ben was in some way guilty. He stated as much in his presser, not only that, they said the chick was a Steeler fan, do you think she, if really a fan would want to send Ben to jail?

What he stated was that it all boiled down to "he said, she said" and there wasn't enough evidence to convict...and that no one knows exactly what took place.

Meaning whatever took place may have been consensual or maybe it wasn't...they don't know.

Some of you guys kill me with your hater BS.

SteelCrazy
04-12-2010, 11:12 PM
[quote="sd steel":1qmjropp]It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what occurred that night. Take off the Steeler blinders. If nothing at all happened why isn't the DA stating that everything the chick said is false, and we apologize to Ben? Because he, who has first hand knowledge of the incident, thinks Ben was in some way guilty. He stated as much in his presser, not only that, they said the chick was a Steeler fan, do you think she, if really a fan would want to send Ben to jail?

What he stated was that it all boiled down to "he said, she said" and there wasn't enough evidence to convict...and that no one knows exactly what took place.

Meaning whatever took place may have been consensual or maybe it wasn't...they don't know.

Some of you guys kill me with your hater BS.[/quote:1qmjropp]

I'm glad it turned out this way for The Team and everything will be business as usual when play resumes, but to say all he said it boil down to is he said/she said is a crock! Did he say that, yes, but that is not all he said. From the very beginning I could tell which way this guy was leaning and it wasn't a 50/50 toss up.

This prosecutor didn't hide the fact that he thought Ben was wrong in all of this and even publicly scolded him. I have heard local announcers state all day they do not want Ben as the Steelers QB anymore.

This prosecutor didn't have enough evidence to win the case, but he had enough to convict Ben in the public and now we are having to endure all the backlash........

stlrz d
04-12-2010, 11:18 PM
[quote="sd steel":267li4u9]It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what occurred that night. Take off the Steeler blinders. If nothing at all happened why isn't the DA stating that everything the chick said is false, and we apologize to Ben? Because he, who has first hand knowledge of the incident, thinks Ben was in some way guilty. He stated as much in his presser, not only that, they said the chick was a Steeler fan, do you think she, if really a fan would want to send Ben to jail?

I'm glad it turned out this way for The Team and everything will be business as usual when play resumes, but to say all he said it boil down to is he said/she said is a crock! Did he say that, yes, but that is not all he said. From the very beginning I could tell which way this guy was leaning and it wasn't a 50/50 toss up.

This prosecutor didn't hide the fact that he thought Ben was wrong in all of this and even publicly scolded him. I have heard local announcers state all day they do not want Ben as the Steelers QB anymore.

This prosecutor didn't have enough evidence to win the case, but he had enough to convict Ben in the public and now we are having to endure all the backlash........[/quote:267li4u9]

And just what exactly are you having to endure? Trash talk from fans of other teams?

Big whoop.

The DA stated he had some evidence but he couldn't prove where that evidence came from. This chick could have banged some dude before meeting up with Ben or after meeting up with him...which rendered that evidence useless.

He said, she said.

sd steel
04-12-2010, 11:18 PM
[quote="sd steel":1qr6xi90]It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what occurred that night. Take off the Steeler blinders. If nothing at all happened why isn't the DA stating that everything the chick said is false, and we apologize to Ben? Because he, who has first hand knowledge of the incident, thinks Ben was in some way guilty. He stated as much in his presser, not only that, they said the chick was a Steeler fan, do you think she, if really a fan would want to send Ben to jail?

Some of you guys kill me with your hater BS.[/quote:1qr6xi90]

I'm not a hater at all, but just because a guy is a Steeler I am not gonna give him a pass if I think he was wrong and there is a pattern of behavior. I am glad to see Santonio go, I was glad when we got rid of Plax and Bam. I'm not going to support a guy until he proves to me that he is straightened out. Hopefully Ben has straighten himself out.

stlrz d
04-12-2010, 11:21 PM
[quote="stlrz d":3iy2h2x8][quote="sd steel":3iy2h2x8]It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what occurred that night. Take off the Steeler blinders. If nothing at all happened why isn't the DA stating that everything the chick said is false, and we apologize to Ben? Because he, who has first hand knowledge of the incident, thinks Ben was in some way guilty. He stated as much in his presser, not only that, they said the chick was a Steeler fan, do you think she, if really a fan would want to send Ben to jail?

Some of you guys kill me with your hater BS.[/quote:3iy2h2x8]

I'm not a hater at all, but just because a guy is a Steeler I am not gonna give him a pass if I think he was wrong and there is a pattern of behavior. I am glad to see Santonio go, I was glad when we got rid of Plax and Bam. I'm not going to support a guy until he proves to me that he is straightened out. Hopefully Ben has straighten himself out.[/quote:3iy2h2x8]

But that's just it. You think. You weren't there so you don't know with 100% certainty.

sd steel
04-12-2010, 11:30 PM
[quote="sd steel":1a9ptjjg][quote="stlrz d":1a9ptjjg][quote="sd steel":1a9ptjjg]It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what occurred that night. Take off the Steeler blinders. If nothing at all happened why isn't the DA stating that everything the chick said is false, and we apologize to Ben? Because he, who has first hand knowledge of the incident, thinks Ben was in some way guilty. He stated as much in his presser, not only that, they said the chick was a Steeler fan, do you think she, if really a fan would want to send Ben to jail?

Some of you guys kill me with your hater BS.[/quote:1a9ptjjg]

I'm not a hater at all, but just because a guy is a Steeler I am not gonna give him a pass if I think he was wrong and there is a pattern of behavior. I am glad to see Santonio go, I was glad when we got rid of Plax and Bam. I'm not going to support a guy until he proves to me that he is straightened out. Hopefully Ben has straighten himself out.[/quote:1a9ptjjg]

But that's just it. You think. You weren't there so you don't know with 100% certainty.[/quote:1a9ptjjg]

But thats my perogative as a fan and as a person. I don't need 100%. I never saw Santonio smoke pot either, but I bet that he has. Of course he did test positive, but someone could be framing him, but I usually err on the side of common sense.

SS Laser
04-12-2010, 11:40 PM
Ok about my load of crap. I thought there was a bunch around here that agreed that this is a huge black eye for the NFL and the Steelers? That in of itself is all he is gulity of.

Well also a distraction to the team. So I still stand by my thought that someone Goodell or the steelers will have consequences for him. Come on guys he needs something to smack him in the face? Does he really care what fans think of him? Well I think yes he does. But how much? It came out in the media that he was really jacked when there was a huge boo fest durning a game he stunk it up. But will that stuff really change him?
This stuff could cause him to lose his edge as a qb? Or not want to be a steeler. We will see.

Also what about the locker room and his players. This was brought up on espn and nfl network by former players. Holmes punishment was to be shipped out. Yes I understand the main reason it the suspension deal. But he was also a black eye. So to toss Holmes then do nothing to ben might cause a problem in the locker room. Again we will see.

I have done a bunch of boneheaded things in my life and have learned from them because there were consequences. I don't see one or two game as nothing more then a slap on the wrist. We will see soon what happens to Ben.

SteelCrazy
04-12-2010, 11:42 PM
[quote="stlrz d":23vs1bxp][quote="sd steel":23vs1bxp]It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what occurred that night. Take off the Steeler blinders. If nothing at all happened why isn't the DA stating that everything the chick said is false, and we apologize to Ben? Because he, who has first hand knowledge of the incident, thinks Ben was in some way guilty. He stated as much in his presser, not only that, they said the chick was a Steeler fan, do you think she, if really a fan would want to send Ben to jail?

This prosecutor didn't have enough evidence to win the case, but he had enough to convict Ben in the public and now we are having to endure all the backlash........[/quote:23vs1bxp]

And just what exactly are you having to endure? Trash talk from fans of other teams?

Big whoop.

The DA stated he had some evidence but he couldn't prove where that evidence came from. This chick could have banged some dude before meeting up with Ben or after meeting up with him...which rendered that evidence useless.

He said, she said.[/quote:23vs1bxp]

I said we sensitive nancy, not I............sometimes you are on your isolated cloud too long.

SS Laser
04-12-2010, 11:55 PM
Wow, that's a crock of "crap."

He was let off the hook because he didn't do anything wrong. You are ready to punish a guy based on the word of a drunk girl?[/quote]

I hope my last post cleared this up. But my thoughts on this has nothing to do with what he might have done or did not do with a drunk girl. I am saying he got of the hook for causing trouble for the steelers/nfl. There is questionable conduct for what his job is.

Ben has become a troubled player (maybe much worse to some) to the nfl fan base. No different then some other players. I would feel the same if he was just running around doing anything not illegal but causeing a PR problem to the steelers/nfl. There is a conduct policy in the NFL for a reason. Did Ben break that policy?

I also like others here believe do what you want in life just be prepared for the consequence are all I say. Just like holmes, ie smoke all the pot you want I don't care but things can happen because of it.

NJ-STEELER
04-13-2010, 12:38 AM
she wasn't a steeler fan

a friend of hers were

from the trib

BlackJackGold
04-13-2010, 01:06 AM
I disagree. Making him sign autographs EVERY day in the preseason. Make him write a big check to a women's shelter. Make him sit with old ladies twice a week at the old folks home. Make him stand on his head in the rain.

But if you suspend him for even 2 games, you may be sentencing us to miss the playoffs. It will be that tight this season to get wins. That is a penalty for the entire team and the fans. Why punish all of us and the team for his transgressions.

They could have him autograph rape kits....

I wouldn't put him next to the old ladies though.

Sometimes it's not a good idea to taunt the devil.

Ya know what I mean?

stlrz d
04-13-2010, 07:35 AM
[quote="stlrz d":24kce78j][quote="sd steel":24kce78j]It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what occurred that night. Take off the Steeler blinders. If nothing at all happened why isn't the DA stating that everything the chick said is false, and we apologize to Ben? Because he, who has first hand knowledge of the incident, thinks Ben was in some way guilty. He stated as much in his presser, not only that, they said the chick was a Steeler fan, do you think she, if really a fan would want to send Ben to jail?

This prosecutor didn't have enough evidence to win the case, but he had enough to convict Ben in the public and now we are having to endure all the backlash........

Big whoop.

He said, she said.[/quote:24kce78j]

I said we sensitive nancy, not I............sometimes you are on your isolated cloud too long.[/quote:24kce78j]

The only thing I've had to endure was lots of hate towards our QB and whining from fans...all right here. :lol: