PDA

View Full Version : Official PlanetSteelers 2010 Mock Draft Commentary Thread

RuthlessBurgher
04-12-2010, 09:23 AM
Since the other thread is for picks only, this thread is designed to house any reaction (general comments, accolades, humiliation, etc.) to the picks that have been made. Have at it!

Jom112
04-12-2010, 01:52 PM
Interesting the way it's turned out so far. I still think Suh will be the pick for the Lions and not Okung. Although the Lions can definitely use some O-Line help...

hawaiiansteel
04-12-2010, 02:05 PM
i'm obviously surprised that Gerald McCoy is still available, even more surprised that WoodleyofTroy is so depressed over the trading of Sanstonio for a 5th round draft pick that he is unable to make the Seattle Seahags' selection at #6...

HardlinerKC
04-12-2010, 02:36 PM
Just got on the laptop here and wanted to thank Ruthless for filling in for me at #5 overall. Most Chiefs fans think Berry is the best need/value pick at this position but then, there's the Pioli factor, he of reaching for players that fit his vision so who knows how it will really turn out?

Anyway, thanks again and I'll be on the board for rounds 2 and 3 coming up later.

hawaiiansteel
04-12-2010, 02:52 PM
Just got on the laptop here and wanted to thank Ruthless for filling in for me at #5 overall. Most Chiefs fans think Berry is the best need/value pick at this position but then, there's the Pioli factor, he of reaching for players that fit his vision so who knows how it will really turn out?

Anyway, thanks again and I'll be on the board for rounds 2 and 3 coming up later.

congratulations, you made the right pick and got yourself a terrific player in Berry.

D Rock
04-13-2010, 10:08 AM
Jaguars owner Wayne Weaver on reaching for Tim Tebow with the 10th overall pick:

"Well a lot of people had Tim slated to go later in the draft, probably in the second round. Unfortunately the folks I left in charge last year traded away our 2nd this year AND a 7th last year for a 3rd last year. Bunch of idiots I tell ya. Obviously that didn't help put butts in the seats because we still don't have anyone actually come to our games.

This year I decided it's my team and my rules. Listen, we're probably going to have a lockout next year, and I already don't make much off this team. That will more than likely put us through the floor and I'll be forced to move the team.

So this is a message to all the Jaguar fans and also all the Tebow fans out there. I made this pick for you. Please come to our games and help keep your savior of a football player in this wonderful state and out of Los Angeles, where he will be tempted by all kinds of crime and drugs and end up a washed up gangbanger."

Jom112
04-13-2010, 10:57 AM
The Cincinnati Bengals would like to trade the #21 overall pick for the girl in D Rock's picture in the "Official selection thread".

BTW, I know that is Tebow's gf. No way in hell he's not banging her...

D Rock
04-13-2010, 11:16 AM
The Jags are in need of picks. She's on the trade block.

Sorry Timmy, but you'll find another one. You do live in Florida.

RuthlessBurgher
04-13-2010, 12:07 PM
The Cincinnati Bengals would like to trade the #21 overall pick for the girl in D Rock's picture in the "Official selection thread".

BTW, I know that is Tebow's gf. No way in hell he's not banging her...

Sorry Jom...but the point values have to be at least reasonably close in order to consummate a trade here. According to the trade value chart, your 21st overall pick is worth 800 points.

She is worth WAY more than that!

:P :Boobs

hawaiiansteel
04-13-2010, 02:55 PM
Jaguars owner Wayne Weaver on reaching for Tim Tebow with the 10th overall pick:

"Well a lot of people had Tim slated to go later in the draft, probably in the second round. Unfortunately the folks I left in charge last year traded away our 2nd this year AND a 7th last year for a 3rd last year. Bunch of idiots I tell ya. Obviously that didn't help put butts in the seats because we still don't have anyone actually come to our games.

This year I decided it's my team and my rules. Listen, we're probably going to have a lockout next year, and I already don't make much off this team. That will more than likely put us through the floor and I'll be forced to move the team.

So this is a message to all the Jaguar fans and also all the Tebow fans out there. I made this pick for you. Please come to our games and help keep your savior of a football player in this wonderful state and out of Los Angeles, where he will be tempted by all kinds of crime and drugs and end up a washed up gangbanger."

congratulations on getting your man Tebow, ticket sales in Jacksonville are already booming! i think 4 more people bought season tickets just this morning alone after hearing of your pick! :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
04-13-2010, 03:04 PM

congratulations on getting your man Tebow, ticket sales in Jacksonville are already booming! i think 4 more people bought season tickets just this morning alone after hearing of your pick! :lol:

Hey, don't laugh! That's already twice as many as the amount of people who bought season tickets to Jags games last year!

hawaiiansteel
04-13-2010, 04:44 PM
so that makes 5 OTs in the first 14 picks, i guess if you don't have good OTs you better go out and get one.

and as the Atlanta Falcons GM, i can officially state that the Falcons are very bummed at losing DE/OLB Brandon Graham to the Miami Dolphins...

RuthlessBurgher
04-13-2010, 05:35 PM
In my second pick for the Seattle Seahawks, I state the following:

They need more of a pass rush (their first pick DT Gerald McCoy will certainly help from the inside), and the best 4-3 DE in the draft is also still available in Derrick Morgan (but Carroll may think he could finally get something out of USC alum Lawrence Jackson, plus they traded for DE's Chris Clemons and Robert Henderson, and still have Patrick Kerney in the stable).

I also say:

If they were going to go with the best player available for them here, I think I would rank them Derrick Morgan, then C.J. Spiller, then Dez Bryant (all of them would be playmakers for them).

Then, the following happens:

Physical toll too much for Seahawks DE Kerney, who says he'll retire
By Steve Wyche | NFL.com
Senior Writer
Posted about 1 hour ago

Seattle Seahawks defensive end Patrick Kerney will retire after all.

Two months ago, Kerney said in an e-mail that he had "a couple good ones left in me" and wouldn't call it quits after 11 NFL seasons. But on Tuesday, Kerney cited the physical wear and tear on his body as a reason for his change of heart.

"Despite the desire to continue my career, I am retiring from professional football," Kerney said in a statement. "The toll that has been taken on my body will no longer allow me to train, and hence, perform, at a level that is acceptable to me. It has been a privilege to work for two first-class organizations that are supported by passionate, inspirational fans. I cannot express enough gratitude to all who have supported me throughout my career."

Kerney, a two-time Pro Bowl selection, played eight seasons with the Atlanta Falcons before signing with the Seahawks in 2007. He had a career-high 14.5 sacks that season and was selected the NFC Defensive Player of the Year. However, injuries limited Kerney's role the past two years, and he managed just 10 sacks in 22 games.

Kerney finishes his career with 82.5 sacks, a significant total for someone who spent most of his career playing left defensive end.

Kerney's retirement could affect the Seahawks' draft plans because they now could be in the market for a defensive end. Seattle holds the No. 6 and No. 14 picks in the first round.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8178082c&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

I should have just drafted Derrick Morgan like I originally wanted to. Oh well...can't go back now.

RuthlessBurgher
04-13-2010, 06:51 PM
Tomorrow, every team has a G.M. and none of them are me! Holy crap! I look forward to making no picks tomorrow, after making what seems all of them to this point (granted, several of the picks were made by others and P.M.'ed to me..but still). In fact, I have AkronSteel's P.M. which states his preference for the Niners' 2nd first round pick already, just in case he is not available tomorrow morning. If anyone else that is picking tomorrow wants to shoot me a P.M. with your preferences for tomorrow just in case, that is fine...but I look forward to hopefully doing nothing except for updating the big board on the first page tomorrow. :D

hawaiiansteel
04-13-2010, 08:32 PM
Tomorrow, every team has a G.M. and none of them are me! Holy crap! I look forward to making no picks tomorrow, after making what seems all of them to this point (granted, several of the picks were made by others and P.M.'ed to me..but still). In fact, I have AkronSteel's P.M. which states his preference for the Niners' 2nd first round pick already, just in case he is not available tomorrow morning. If anyone else that is picking tomorrow wants to shoot me a P.M. with your preferences for tomorrow just in case, that is fine...but I look forward to hopefully doing nothing except for updating the big board on the first page tomorrow. :D

and i'll be up very early in the middle of the night here (3am) anxiously awaiting the San Francisco 49ers selection before the Steelers select at #18...

personally, i think the 49'ers should select QB Colt McCoy :wink:

hawaiiansteel
04-14-2010, 03:24 AM
In my second pick for the Seattle Seahawks, I state the following:

[quote]They need more of a pass rush (their first pick DT Gerald McCoy will certainly help from the inside), and the best 4-3 DE in the draft is also still available in Derrick Morgan (but Carroll may think he could finally get something out of USC alum Lawrence Jackson, plus they traded for DE's Chris Clemons and Robert Henderson, and still have Patrick Kerney in the stable).

I also say:

If they were going to go with the best player available for them here, I think I would rank them Derrick Morgan, then C.J. Spiller, then Dez Bryant (all of them would be playmakers for them).

Then, the following happens:

Physical toll too much for Seahawks DE Kerney, who says he'll retire
By Steve Wyche | NFL.com
Senior Writer
Posted about 1 hour ago

Seattle Seahawks defensive end Patrick Kerney will retire after all.

Two months ago, Kerney said in an e-mail that he had "a couple good ones left in me" and wouldn't call it quits after 11 NFL seasons. But on Tuesday, Kerney cited the physical wear and tear on his body as a reason for his change of heart.

"Despite the desire to continue my career, I am retiring from professional football," Kerney said in a statement. "The toll that has been taken on my body will no longer allow me to train, and hence, perform, at a level that is acceptable to me. It has been a privilege to work for two first-class organizations that are supported by passionate, inspirational fans. I cannot express enough gratitude to all who have supported me throughout my career."

Kerney, a two-time Pro Bowl selection, played eight seasons with the Atlanta Falcons before signing with the Seahawks in 2007. He had a career-high 14.5 sacks that season and was selected the NFC Defensive Player of the Year. However, injuries limited Kerney's role the past two years, and he managed just 10 sacks in 22 games.

Kerney finishes his career with 82.5 sacks, a significant total for someone who spent most of his career playing left defensive end.

Kerney's retirement could affect the Seahawks' draft plans because they now could be in the market for a defensive end. Seattle holds the No. 6 and No. 14 picks in the first round.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8178082c&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

I should have just drafted Derrick Morgan like I originally wanted to. Oh well...can't go back now.[/quote:wz7xw5qe]

you did well, Charles Brown would be a good replacement for Walter Jones. Seattle just has an awful lot of holes to fill...

April 11

(12:01 AM): Enigmatic Denver WR Brandon Marshall has signed his one-year, $2.5M tender which as fueled speculation that the Broncos could be close to finalizing a trade for their star WR. Marshall has been at odds with management for some time however prior to signing the tender was a restricted free agent for whom the compensation had been set at a first-round pick. However, by signing the tender, Marshall again is under contract to Denver which is now free to negotiate themselves a trade with any other team. Indeed, there is some speculation that Marshall would not have signed the tender unless there was something in the works. The Broncos were reportedly asking for a first-round pick in exchange for Marshall, however, the trade of star Pittsburgh WR Santonio Holmes to the Jets for a measly 5th rounder may have lowered the bar for a troubled NFL WR. And with Marshall now under contract with the Broncos, Seattle has again emerged as the favorite to land his services. The Seahawks wined and dined Marshall earlier this off-season but were unwilling to sign him as a RFA as they would have had to send their #1 pick - the 6th overall - to Denver as compensation. Whether the Seahawks might be willing to part with the second of their two #1 picks this year - the 14th overall - as part of a package for Marshall though is not necessarily off the table. And while Seattle remains the favorite to land Marshall, several other teams are reportedly in the mix including Washington and Green Bay … And speaking of Seattle, veteran DE Patrick Kerney formally retired earlier this week. Kerney had originally hoped to return this season - his 12th in the NFL - but reportedly decided that he’d taken enough of a pounding after undergoing surgery in each of the past four seasons. The Seahawks had been expected to draft a young DE to develop behind Kerney early at the 2010 draft, but his departure no doubt will add some urgency to the issue. Meanwhile, the Seahawks are still waiting for a final decision from veteran LT Walter Jones on his status for the upcoming season, although all indications are that the long-time Pro Bowler will indeed retire leaving the team with another huge hole to fill…

http://www.gbnreport.com/draftbuzz.html

hawaiiansteel
04-14-2010, 03:59 AM
the Atlanta Falcons needs were: (Dez Bryant was just too tempting to pass up, in spite of his baggage...Sean Weatherspoon and Brandon Graham were already off the board)

Team needs: NFC South

Posted by Evan Silva on April 13, 2010 11:35 PM ET

Atlanta

1. LB: The Falcons' run defense problems start in the front seven. While Curtis Lofton is entrenched in the middle, the team could afford to upgrade over 34-year-old weak-side linebacker Mike Peterson. Strong-side starter Stephen Nicholas is entering a contract year. Atlanta has shown significant interest in Sean Weatherspoon of Missouri.

2. CB: Atlanta forked over serious coin to secure top free agent corner Dunta Robinson, but remains unsettled at the position opposite him. Incumbent starter Brian Williams is coming off a torn ACL, Brent Grimes would be a dime back in a good secondary, and the Falcons don't envision 2009 third-round pick Christopher Owens as more than a sub-package player.

3. WR: Harry Douglas is expected to return after missing last season, but there's no telling how much speed he'll have left coming off a torn ACL. Speed-challenged split end Michael Jenkins also offers no play-making ability. The Falcons need a dynamic after-catch threat with vertical skills to execute coordinator Mike Mularkey's downfield passing attack.

4. DE: With 2.5 sacks in three seasons as a starter, former top-ten pick Jamaal Anderson is shaping up as a bust. Situational rushers Kroy Biermann and Lawrence Sidbury have promise, but aren't every-down ends. Pro Bowler John Abraham turns 32 in a month.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... nfc-south/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/13/team-needs-nfc-south/)

Jom112
04-14-2010, 11:03 AM
Big Ben is going to ask for a long suspension after the Bengals draft the Haitian sensation Jason Pierre-Paul...

Tomlinator
04-14-2010, 11:51 AM
With the seemingly quiet acceptance of hawaiiansteel's pick for the Steelers, I take it folks don't have any problem with Earl Thomas? I don't, but I wouldn't look to force him to be a CB is he is an excellent Safety already.

However, if the draft runs out similarly and McClain, Oderick, and Thomas are all on the board at #18, I think my head would explode. This year I'm all for Pittsburgh to take DL/LB/S/CB in Rd 1 and would love to have this problem.

RuthlessBurgher
04-14-2010, 12:01 PM
I would be happy with Earl Thomas for sure. If he opted for Rolando McClain there instead, I would have been fine with that as well.

Jom112
04-14-2010, 12:06 PM
Earl Thomas is a good pick. If he can stay healthy, I think he'll be one of the best safeties in the NFL...

RuthlessBurgher
04-14-2010, 01:11 PM
Crap...McClain to New England. That can't be allowed to happen.

Jom112
04-14-2010, 01:59 PM
Odd that hawaiiansteel picked for the Patriots but still hasn't yet for the Packers...

hawaiiansteel
04-14-2010, 02:20 PM
Odd that hawaiiansteel picked for the Patriots but still hasn't yet for the Packers...

the Patriots were an easy pick for me as i believe Rolano McClain to be one of the elite defensive players available.

the Packers on the other hand were a much more difficult decision for me as they have several pressing needs. i ended up choosing the BPA on the Packers draft board, Mike Iupati and will try him at both the OG and OT positions where age is starting to catch up with the current starters.

Jom112
04-14-2010, 02:24 PM

the Patriots were an easy pick for me as i believe Rolano McClain to be one of the elite defensive players available.

the Packers on the other hand were a much more difficult decision for me as they have several pressing needs. i ended up choosing the BPA on the Packers draft board, Mike Iupati and will try him at both the OG and OT positions where age is starting to catch up with the current starters.

I don't know about Iupati for the Packers. He needs a lot of work in pass protection and Aaron Rodgers holds the ball for too long.

Anthony Davis I think would have been a good pick. He's immature but is pretty talented...

RuthlessBurgher
04-14-2010, 02:30 PM
Anthony Davis I think would have been a good pick. He's immature but is pretty talented...

Sounds like a Bengal! :bungalssuck

(or a Steeler, for that matter) :cry:

Jom112
04-14-2010, 02:32 PM

:lol:

I saw a couple of mocks recently that did have Anthony Davis going to us. At first I was thinking no way, but then I thought it actually wouldn't be that bad of an idea.

Davis - Whitworth - Cook - Williams - A. Smith

Pretty darn good O-Line right there...

RuthlessBurgher
04-14-2010, 02:34 PM

:lol:

I saw a couple of mocks recently that did have Anthony Davis going to us. At first I was thinking no way, but then I thought it actually wouldn't be that bad of an idea.

Davis - Whitworth - Cook - Williams - A. Smith

Pretty darn good O-Line right there...

Yeah...James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley would love to feast on a couple of lazy fatties like Andre Smith and Anthony Davis. Both have the raw talent to be elite. You just wonder if either of them will be able to get there, or will all that ability get wasted.

hawaiiansteel
04-14-2010, 02:36 PM

I don't know about Iupati for the Packers. He needs a lot of work in pass protection and Aaron Rodgers holds the ball for too long.

that's the two players i was debating between, i decided against Anthony Davis because of his character concerns and lack of work ethic. this is what one scouting report on Anthony Davis said that convinced me to choose Iupati:

Anthony Davis Scouting Report
By Matt McGuire

Strengths:
Good frame with long arms
Excellent technician
Light on his feet
Athletic
Shows good instincts
Natural knee bender
Flexible and fluid
Great kick step - good range
Extremely productive at times
Overwhelming as a run blocker when he wants to be
Gets to the second level
Comfortable in space
Nice hand punch
Understands angles
Talented with upside
Can play left or right tackle

Weaknesses:
Poor work ethic
Conditioning is an issue
Questionable love for the game
Not highly competitive
Very inconsistent
Lacks physicality
Occasionally dominated by inferior competition
Boom or bust prospect

Summary: Davis' intangibles aren't as bad as Andre Smith's, but they're bad. Davis is a highly overrated prospect, but some team will still draft him in the top 25 picks. In the beginning of the year, his tape was terrible and this turned me off, but once he got in shape toward the middle/end of the season, he was far more productive. Davis will be as good as he wants to be, but ultimately he's not the type I'd take a chance on. Players with really poor intangibles - especially offensive tackles - don't often pan out in the NFL. Two sources have told me he performed poorly during the interviews at the 2010 NFL Scouting Combine.

Jom112
04-14-2010, 02:38 PM
Yeah...James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley would love to feast on a couple of lazy fatties like Andre Smith and Anthony Davis. Both have the raw talent to be elite. You just wonder if either of them will be able to get there, or will all that ability get wasted.

If Fat Andre can get healthy, I think he will have a pro bowl type year this season. Him and Bobbie Williams on the right side will open up some huge holes.

I have some very high expectations for him this year. I knew last year would be a wash because Mike Brown wouldn't want to pay him...

hawaiiansteel
04-14-2010, 03:13 PM

If Fat Andre can get healthy, I think he will have a pro bowl type year this season. Him and Bobbie Williams on the right side will open up some huge holes.

I have some very high expectations for him this year. I knew last year would be a wash because Mike Brown wouldn't want to pay him...

does Andre Smith still have those man boobs? :shock:

http://cdn.faniq.com/images/blog/f1eab040af3a7041f8e790b39b09e57c.jpg

Discipline of Steel
04-15-2010, 07:14 AM
Yuck! and drat you D Rock for reaching on Tebow...the Vikings were planning to select Favre II at the end of the round. We were hoping an apt pupil would be enough to keep Favre out of retirement for one more season whilst he pours all of his knowledge and experience into TT. Favre had even discussed a willingness to give up his #4 so people would think it was still him on the field 10 years from now...

D Rock
04-15-2010, 09:15 AM
Yuck! and drat you D Rock for reaching on Tebow...the Vikings were planning to select Favre II at the end of the round. We were hoping an apt pupil would be enough to keep Favre out of retirement for one more season whilst he pours all of his knowledge and experience into TT. Favre had even discussed a willingness to give up his #4 so people would think it was still him on the field 10 years from now...

Isn't it well known that Favre and Rodgers didn't have a very good relationship and that Favre doesn't like the mentor role?

RuthlessBurgher
04-15-2010, 09:39 AM
Well done on the first round, fellas.

Since Chadman preferred early morning picks (at least they'd be early morning picks in this time zone anyway), I wonder if he will notice that his Rams are now on the clock this morning, a day earlier than expected, so that we can move on ahead of schedule.

Some interesting names to fall out of the first round:

CB Devin McCourty
DE Carlos Dunlap
DE Everson Griffen
DE/OLB Jerry Hughes
TE Jermaine Gresham
WR Demaryius Thomas
WR Golden Tate
WR Arrelious Benn
RB Jahvid Best
QB Colt McCoy

Will anyone be willing to make our first trade of the draft to move up to get any of them?

Jom112
04-15-2010, 10:21 AM
Sergio Kindle to the Jets is a good fit, but does anyone else not like Kindle at all? Something about the guy, watching Texas games that didn't intrigue me. He seems like someone that could be blocked by a TE easily...

RuthlessBurgher
04-15-2010, 10:42 AM
Sergio Kindle to the Jets is a good fit, but does anyone else not like Kindle at all? Something about the guy, watching Texas games that didn't intrigue me. He seems like someone that could be blocked by a TE easily...

I like Brandon Graham and Jerry Hughes more than Kindle.

Jom112
04-15-2010, 10:46 AM

Definitely.

I'm also not sure about Brian Price to the Saints. The guy is talented but the Saints are pretty set at DT, I thought. Anthony Hargrove just re-signed his tender, they have Sedrick Ellis and they drafted DeMario Pressley recently, who I think can develop into a decent DT for them. I wanted the Bengals to draft Pressley a few drafts ago but the Saints traded up ahead of us to take him...

Jom112
04-15-2010, 10:58 AM
Fantastic selection Chadman. I never even thought about the Rams getting Bradford and Gresham...

hawaiiansteel
04-15-2010, 11:40 AM

Definitely.

I'm also not sure about Brian Price to the Saints. The guy is talented but the Saints are pretty set at DT, I thought. Anthony Hargrove just re-signed his tender, they have Sedrick Ellis and they drafted DeMario Pressley recently, who I think can develop into a decent DT for them. I wanted the Bengals to draft Pressley a few drafts ago but the Saints traded up ahead of us to take him...

the Saints run defense allowed 140 yards rushing per game the last 11 contests, and although Sedrick Ellis is a stud the combination of Remi Ayodele, Anthony Hargrove and DeMario Pressley was part of the problem...other teams often chose to run right at them.

adding a DT who can be disruptive and make plays in the backfield and be stout against the run like Brian Price to pair with Ellis was just too good to pass up.

i just ran across the WalterFootball Mock Draft which is very reputable and they have the Saints taking Brian Price as well...

New Orleans Saints: Brian Price, DT, UCLA

Sedrick Ellis seems completely healthy again, but the Saints still need help at defensive tackle to stop the run. Brian Price is a great value pick at No. 32; he could easily go as high as No. 21, so New Orleans is getting a very talented player who fills a big need with this selection.

Other 2010 NFL Draft Possibilities:

1. Sergio Kindle, DE/OLB - Defensive coordinator Gregg Williams could utilize Sergio Kindle like the Redskins used Brian Orakpo this year; Kindle would play at either strongside linebacker or defensive end depending on the situation.

2. Carlos Dunlap, DE - The Saints have a big need at defensive end, and based on pure physical talent, Carlos Dunlap is a bargain at No. 32.

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2010_1.php

hawaiiansteel
04-15-2010, 11:51 AM

did you ever consider Colt McCoy as an option?

Jom112
04-15-2010, 12:11 PM
Love the Javhid Best pick. Probably my favorite player in this years draft.

I was thinking of trading up in the 2nd to get him for the Bengals but we're good at RB...

RuthlessBurgher
04-15-2010, 12:12 PM
Hey hawaiiansteel...would you mind replacing the last picture you chose for Brian Price?

It's gigantic, and forces you to have to scroll way over to read the comments for anyone on that page now.

Might I suggest this one (simply for the comedic value)?

http://www.pe.com/multimedia/slideshow/2008/20081019_ucla/images/26UCLA19tlpc.jpg

hawaiiansteel
04-15-2010, 12:21 PM
Hey hawaiiansteel...would you mind replacing the last picture you chose for Brian Price?

It's gigantic, and forces you to have to scroll way over to read the comments for anyone on that page now.

Might I suggest this one (simply for the comedic value)?

http://www.pe.com/multimedia/slideshow/2008/20081019_ucla/images/26UCLA19tlpc.jpg

done.

Jom112
04-15-2010, 12:25 PM
Interesting selection of McCourty for the Bucs. I would have thought for sure that Demaryius Thomas would have been the pick there...

hawaiiansteel
04-15-2010, 12:27 PM
Interesting selection of McCourty for the Bucs. I would have thought for sure that Demaryius Thomas would have been the pick there...

that's because CB Ronde Barber needs replacing, he's 5000 years old... :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
04-15-2010, 12:33 PM

Those were the two I was debating between. They have another 2nd round pick (Chicago's from the Gaines Adams trade) after another 6 teams pick. I don't think there would have been any way that McCourty would fall that far if Tampa passed on his here for D. Thomas. Thomas likely won't either fall that far either, but if he doesn't there are still other solid options like A. Benn or G. Tate. I think I prefer D. McCourty and then A. Benn or G. Tate than taking D. Thomas and then settling for K. Jackson or P. Robinson at #42. It was close, though. Hey, what do Bucs fans care about such things anyway? They already got Suh!
:Beer

Discipline of Steel
04-15-2010, 12:57 PM

I thought long and hard about it but he just didnt seem like a Farve protege or, even more importantly, a 1st round pick. AP seemed to get shut down for games at a time last year and their center was awful so Pouncey became a perfect pick at that spot.

hawaiiansteel
04-15-2010, 01:13 PM
[quote="Discipline of Steel":31f1yzgj]Yuck! and drat you D Rock for reaching on Tebow...the Vikings were planning to select Favre II at the end of the round. We were hoping an apt pupil would be enough to keep Favre out of retirement for one more season whilst he pours all of his knowledge and experience into TT. Favre had even discussed a willingness to give up his #4 so people would think it was still him on the field 10 years from now...

I thought long and hard about it but he just didnt seem like a Farve protege or, even more importantly, a 1st round pick. AP seemed to get shut down for games at a time last year and their center was awful so Pouncey became a perfect pick at that spot.[/quote:31f1yzgj]

Pouncey was a great value where you picked, i'm surprised he lasted as long as he did. if he had dropped a couple of more spots the Steelers were seriously considering offering their 2nd and 3rd rounder for Pouncey...

Jom112
04-15-2010, 01:59 PM

Those were the two I was debating between. They have another 2nd round pick (Chicago's from the Gaines Adams trade) after another 6 teams pick. I don't think there would have been any way that McCourty would fall that far if Tampa passed on his here for D. Thomas. Thomas likely won't either fall that far either, but if he doesn't there are still other solid options like A. Benn or G. Tate. I think I prefer D. McCourty and then A. Benn or G. Tate than taking D. Thomas and then settling for K. Jackson or P. Robinson at #42. It was close, though. Hey, what do Bucs fans care about such things anyway? They already got Suh!
:Beer

Sound reasoning. I'm a big Demaryius Thomas fan though. I think he'll light it up in the NFL. I'm probably overvaluing him a bit...

RuthlessBurgher
04-15-2010, 02:23 PM
[quote="Discipline of Steel":jo14fybs]Yuck! and drat you D Rock for reaching on Tebow...the Vikings were planning to select Favre II at the end of the round. We were hoping an apt pupil would be enough to keep Favre out of retirement for one more season whilst he pours all of his knowledge and experience into TT. Favre had even discussed a willingness to give up his #4 so people would think it was still him on the field 10 years from now...

I thought long and hard about it but he just didnt seem like a Farve protege or, even more importantly, a 1st round pick. AP seemed to get shut down for games at a time last year and their center was awful so Pouncey became a perfect pick at that spot.

Pouncey was a great value where you picked, i'm surprised he lasted as long as he did. if he had dropped a couple of more spots the Steelers were seriously considering offering their 2nd and 3rd rounder for Pouncey...[/quote:jo14fybs]

The Steelers missed out on trading up for Pouncey, but might they be interested in trading up for a legit pass-rushing OLB like Jerry Hughes to give us insurance behind Harrison and Woodley (allowing us to keep Timmons inside if anything happens to either of them)? Or perhaps a WR like Demaryius Thomas or Arrelious Benn to take Santonio Holmes' roster spot and to be a potential future starter opposite Mike Wallace when Hines Ward retires?

Oakland is picking at #39, and there are only 2 teams picking ahead of them right now. If a guy you really like falls, how about this trade: Oakland's 2nd and 4th for Pittsburgh's 2nd, 3rd, and 5th?

2.39 = 510
4.106 = 82

Total: 592 pts.

2.52 = 380
3.82 = 180
5.151 = 31

Total: 591 pts.

Earl Thomas and Jerry Hughes, then 2 fourths, 3 fifths, a sixth, and 2 sevenths ain't bad. Perhaps you can parlay those 2 fourths to move back into the 3rd round if there is someone else there that you really like (4.106 = 82 and 4.116 = 62...those 144 points could get you into the neighborhood of 3.89, for instance, or possibly even higher if you wanted package some of your other picks as well).

Jom112
04-15-2010, 02:58 PM
Damn you pfelix73. First you won't accept my trade off and then you take the guy I wanted to trade up for...

pfelix73
04-15-2010, 03:48 PM
LOL- Sorry- I was wondering if you were looking at him.... 1st round talent, I think.
:tt2

hawaiiansteel
04-15-2010, 04:07 PM
[quote="Discipline of Steel":3r9vg5mp]Yuck! and drat you D Rock for reaching on Tebow...the Vikings were planning to select Favre II at the end of the round. We were hoping an apt pupil would be enough to keep Favre out of retirement for one more season whilst he pours all of his knowledge and experience into TT. Favre had even discussed a willingness to give up his #4 so people would think it was still him on the field 10 years from now...

Pouncey was a great value where you picked, i'm surprised he lasted as long as he did. if he had dropped a couple of more spots the Steelers were seriously considering offering their 2nd and 3rd rounder for Pouncey...

The Steelers missed out on trading up for Pouncey, but might they be interested in trading up for a legit pass-rushing OLB like Jerry Hughes to give us insurance behind Harrison and Woodley (allowing us to keep Timmons inside if anything happens to either of them)? Or perhaps a WR like Demaryius Thomas or Arrelious Benn to take Santonio Holmes' roster spot and to be a potential future starter opposite Mike Wallace when Hines Ward retires?

Oakland is picking at #39, and there are only 2 teams picking ahead of them right now. If a guy you really like falls, how about this trade: Oakland's 2nd and 4th for Pittsburgh's 2nd, 3rd, and 5th?

2.39 = 510
4.106 = 82

2.52 = 380
3.82 = 180
5.151 = 31

Earl Thomas and Jerry Hughes, then 2 fourths, 3 fifths, a sixth, and 2 sevenths ain't bad. Perhaps you can parlay those 2 fourths to move back into the 3rd round if there is someone else there that you really like (4.106 = 82 and 4.116 = 62...those 144 points could get you into the neighborhood of 3.89, for instance, or possibly even higher if you wanted package some of your other picks as well).[/quote:3r9vg5mp]

i wanted Demaryius Thomas or Golden Tate as the next Hines Ward, but unfortunately they have both been selected already...

yes, if Discipline of Steel doesn't take Maurkice Pouncey at #29 and takes any other player, Pouncey would have been a Steeler. if Hartwig doesn't play well this season we all know who to blame....

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg

hawaiiansteel
04-15-2010, 09:39 PM
[quote="Discipline of Steel":4mqejp5k]Yuck! and drat you D Rock for reaching on Tebow...the Vikings were planning to select Favre II at the end of the round. We were hoping an apt pupil would be enough to keep Favre out of retirement for one more season whilst he pours all of his knowledge and experience into TT. Favre had even discussed a willingness to give up his #4 so people would think it was still him on the field 10 years from now...

2.39 = 510
4.106 = 82

2.52 = 380
3.82 = 180
5.151 = 31

Earl Thomas and Jerry Hughes, then 2 fourths, 3 fifths, a sixth, and 2 sevenths ain't bad. Perhaps you can parlay those 2 fourths to move back into the 3rd round if there is someone else there that you really like (4.106 = 82 and 4.116 = 62...those 144 points could get you into the neighborhood of 3.89, for instance, or possibly even higher if you wanted package some of your other picks as well).[/quote:4mqejp5k]

well RB,

there goes your trade idea, I didn't want to say anything but Jerry Hughes was the last player i was willing to trade up for. i think Jerry Hughes and Brandon Graham were the two best pass rushers in the draft, Hughes could have provided us with some much-needed OLB depth while contributing as a situational pass-rusher and becoming the eventual heir to James Harrison's OLB position.

yet another reason not to like the Browns... :brownssuck

but a great pick made by Akron Steel... :Clap

hawaiiansteel
04-15-2010, 10:57 PM

Definitely.

Walter Football, a very reputable draft site also has Brian Price going to the Saints -

2010 NFL Mock Draft

Last update: Thursday, April 15, 2010

http://www.walterfootball.com/images/fball/saintsb_logo.gif New Orleans Saints: Brian Price, DT, UCLA http://www.walterfootball.com/college/UCLA_logo.gif

Sedrick Ellis seems completely healthy again, but the Saints still need help at defensive tackle to stop the run. Brian Price is a great value pick at No. 32; he could easily go as high as No. 21, so New Orleans is getting a very talented player who fills a big need with this selection.

Other 2010 NFL Draft Possibilities:

1. Sergio Kindle, DE/OLB - Defensive coordinator Gregg Williams could utilize Sergio Kindle like the Redskins used Brian Orakpo this year; Kindle would play at either strongside linebacker or defensive end depending on the situation.

2. Carlos Dunlap, DE - The Saints have a big need at defensive end, and based on pure physical talent, Carlos Dunlap is a bargain at No. 32.

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2010_1.php

Jom112
04-16-2010, 08:09 AM
well RB,

there goes your trade idea, I didn't want to say anything but Jerry Hughes was the last player i was willing to trade up for. i think Jerry Hughes and Brandon Graham were the two best pass rushers in the draft, Hughes could have provided us with some much-needed OLB depth while contributing as a situational pass-rusher and becoming the eventual heir to James Harrison's OLB position.

I agree, it was a great pick by AkronSteel. I'm big on Jerry Hughes as well for the 3-4 teams...

D Rock
04-16-2010, 09:36 AM
The Chargers are on the clock and will actively shop this pick.

I'll be back on at lunch to make the pick or accept a trade so PM your offers!

AkronSteel
04-16-2010, 09:38 AM
well RB,

I agree, it was a great pick by AkronSteel. I'm big on Jerry Hughes as well for the 3-4 teams...

Thanks Gentlemen.....I've had him going to the Stains in my own personal mock for about 6 weeks now!!! He fits best with what they are trying to accomplish, and considering Matt Roth is their #1 OLB, I just think its a good fit!

hawaiiansteel
04-16-2010, 01:09 PM
the San Diego Chargers fill a huge at NT with the selection of Cam Thomas...

Jom112
04-16-2010, 01:15 PM

I wonder with all these big NT's being selected already (Dan Williams, Mt. Cody, Linval Johnson and Cam Thomas), if it forces the Steelers hand to take Tourell Troup before it's too late... :stirpot

hawaiiansteel
04-16-2010, 01:41 PM

I wonder with all these big NT's being selected already (Dan Williams, Mt. Cody, Linval Johnson and Cam Thomas), if it forces the Steelers hand to take Tourell Troup before it's too late... :stirpot

the Steelers are set at NT for this year with Hampton and Hoke, we can wait until next year to draft a young NT to groom as Big Snack's replacement.

besides, once Saint LeBeau retires we're switching to Tomlin's beloved 4-3... :stirpot

Jom112
04-16-2010, 03:59 PM
This draft is going to suck if the Patriots get Rolando McClain and Kareem Jackson. Good drafting though hawaiiansteel...

Discipline of Steel
04-16-2010, 05:50 PM

2.39 = 510
4.106 = 82

2.52 = 380
3.82 = 180
5.151 = 31

Earl Thomas and Jerry Hughes, then 2 fourths, 3 fifths, a sixth, and 2 sevenths ain't bad. Perhaps you can parlay those 2 fourths to move back into the 3rd round if there is someone else there that you really like (4.106 = 82 and 4.116 = 62...those 144 points could get you into the neighborhood of 3.89, for instance, or possibly even higher if you wanted package some of your other picks as well).

i wanted Demaryius Thomas or Golden Tate as the next Hines Ward, but unfortunately they have both been selected already...

yes, if Discipline of Steel doesn't take Maurkice Pouncey at #29 and takes any other player, Pouncey would have been a Steeler. if Hartwig doesn't play well this season we all know who to blame....

I took him where he deserved to be taken. If the Steelers want to trade up back into the 1st round and select Pouncey, they are going to have to step in front of the Vikings.

hawaiiansteel
04-16-2010, 08:19 PM

I took him where he deserved to be taken. If the Steelers want to trade up back into the 1st round and select Pouncey, they are going to have to step in front of the Vikings.

that would be a very expensive proposition as the Steelers would have to give up their 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 6th round choices to do so.

if the Steelers want Pouncey they will most likely have to pick him at #18, guess it all depends on who else is still available when it's the Steelers turn to pick.

Tomlinator
04-17-2010, 03:50 PM
The Texans have a decent front seven. I think getting Allen and Wilson will instantly upgrade their secondary and push them solidly into playoff contention.

RuthlessBurgher
04-17-2010, 04:04 PM
The Steelers are up again. After taking Earl Thomas in the first, which way do they go now? Unfortunately, the top 2nd round WR prospects (D. Thomas, G. Tate, A. Benn, B. LaFell, and D. Williams are all off the board).

A 3-4 DE prospect to play opposite Ziggy when Aaron and Keisel retire, such as Tyson Alualu, Alex Carrington, or LaMarr Houston?

A 4-3 DE to 3-4 OLB conversion project such as Everson Griffen, Koa Misi, Ricky Sapp, or Jason Worilds?

A pure CB (if they want Earl to focus solely on being the FS of the future instead of trying to convert him to a CB until Ryan Clark retires) such as Brandon Ghee, Dominique Franks, or Jerome Murphy?

A big RB such as Jonathan Dwyer, Toby Gerhart, Ben Tate, Montario Hardesty, or Anthony Dixon (or a tiny little spark-plug RB like Dexter McCluster)?

How about this for a curve ball: 6'8" 312 lbs. OT Jared Veldheer from tiny Hillsdale College. It would take a lot of time for him to adjust from Division II to the NFL, but if he is able to make that transition, this kid has HUGE potential.

Jom112
04-18-2010, 12:23 AM
The Texans have a decent front seven. I think getting Allen and Wilson will instantly upgrade their secondary and push them solidly into playoff contention.

The next two players on my board was Gronkowski and Allen. At least the Bengals know which two teams to trade ahead of now...

hawaiiansteel
04-18-2010, 04:51 PM
RuthlessBurgher's comments in white, my responses in bold-

The Steelers are up again. After taking Earl Thomas in the first, which way do they go now? Unfortunately, the top 2nd round WR prospects (D. Thomas, G. Tate, A. Benn, B. LaFell, and D. Williams are all off the board).

If WRs Demaryius Thomas, Golden Tate or Arrelious Benn were still available, the Steelers would have to seriously consider them with their second round pick. However, I do not consider WR as a serious need as we already have Hines Ward, Mike Wallace, Antwaan Randle-El, Arnaz Battle, Tyler Grisham and Limas Sweed (and yes, I’m cheering for Sweed big-time to have his breakout year). A developmental WR that can learn from Hines Ward will be drafted in a later round.

A 3-4 DE prospect to play opposite Ziggy when Aaron and Keisel retire, such as Tyson Alualu, Alex Carrington, or LaMarr Houston?

The Steelers have Aaron Smith, Brett Keisel, Ziggy Hood, Ra’shon Harris (we are reportedly very high on Harris’ potential) and we just re-signed Nick Eason. We have the same need for a future replacement at NT where Hampton and Hoke are getting up there in years, the Steelers will need to address these two DL positions but not here in Round 2.
Fortunately for the Steelers, this year's draft is very, very deep.

A 4-3 DE to 3-4 OLB conversion project such as Everson Griffen, Koa Misi, Ricky Sapp, or Jason Worilds?

The primary backups to James Harrison and Lamarr Woodley are Andre Frazier and Patrick Bailey, not exactly the kind of players that inspire confidence. We badly need some depth here, but an ILB could also be drafted with the idea that Lawrence Timmons could be moved outside where he may or may not be better suited. There are still a lot of talented LBers available, a good one can be had in a later round.

A pure CB (if they want Earl to focus solely on being the FS of the future instead of trying to convert him to a CB until Ryan Clark retires) such as Brandon Ghee, Dominique Franks, or Jerome Murphy?

Earl Thomas has the type of position versatility and flexibility that Tomlin loves. In my opinion, adding a playmaker to the defensive secondary was the Steelers’ greatest need and it has been addressed in Round 1 with Earl Thomas. He will be given every chance to contribute in nickel and dime packages right away and will be given every chance to beat out William Gay at the CB position opposite Ike Taylor. Earl Thomas himself has stated that he wants to play CB, let the competition begin. A pure cover CB will be drafted in a later round.

A big RB such as Jonathan Dwyer, Toby Gerhart, Ben Tate, Montario Hardesty, or Anthony Dixon (or a tiny little spark-plug RB like Dexter McCluster)?

I agree that we have a need here, we are one injury to Rashard Mendenhall away from only having Mewelde Moore to carry the load. There are several darkhorse RBs the Steelers really like that will be available in a later round and if one of them is still available then the Steelers will definitely select one of them.

How about this for a curve ball: 6'8" 312 lbs. OT Jared Veldheer from tiny Hillsdale College. It would take a lot of time for him to adjust from Division II to the NFL, but if he is able to make that transition, this kid has HUGE potential.

In my opinion, the OL is the second greatest need the Steelers have after acquiring a playmaking DB, which the Steelers addressed in Round 1 with CB/FS Earl Thomas. The OL will be addressed here in Round 2.

The Steelers need an OC, Jeff Hartwig needs an eventual replacement and I’m not sold on Doug Legursky. Even if I’m wrong and Legursky turns out to be the second coming of Mike Webster, we still need some depth at this position.

Unfortunately, the Steelers do not view any center that is still currently available as worthy of the #52 pick and may look to draft a developmental center that can also play the Guard position in a later round.

Which brings us to the position of OT, let’s take a closer look –

I like Max Starks, I have no problem with him. He’s not an elite LT in this league, but he is adequate. Willie Colon is a good RT but here’s the problem, his agent was recently quoted as saying that Willie Colon is the best RT in the league (sound familiar?). Colon will play as a RFA this season and we can keep him again next season using the RFA tender tag, but Colon will prove very difficult to sign to a long-term deal and the Steelers seem to be in no hurry to do so.

Behind Max Starks we have Tony Hills who so far has given us no indication that he will be anything more than a career back-up and the recently signed Jonathan Scott. Scott played for Coach Kugler in Buffalo and may very well have some promise but he is still an unknown as far as I’m concerned. Buffalo is so starved for OTs that they may draft one in Round 1, yet they made very little effort to re-sign Scott...not a good sign that Scott will be an elite OT in this league.

An OT that will be drafted by the Steelers in Round 2 will have this season and next season to learn the nuances of the position before being thrust into a starting position. I'm excited by the addition of our new OL coach Sean Kugler, I believe him to be a serious upgrade over Larry Zierlein and I believe the Steelers will draft a young OT for Coach Kugler to begin working with.

So who will we select in Round 2 then? Be sure to check out the Draft Selection thread as the pick will be revealed soon…

RuthlessBurgher
04-18-2010, 09:52 PM
Jom has Everson Griffen as his round 1 target in his sig mock, so we know that he likes him a bunch. Here we are in round 2, and Griffen is still on the board. However, he took DE Jason Pierre-Paul in round 1. With JPP joining Antwan Odom, Robert Geathers, Frostee Rucker, and 2009 draft pick Michael Johnson at DE, could he possibly take another DE as a B.P.A. choice? Or does he go with the bigger need and take a TE or WR instead? Hmmm...

pfelix73
04-18-2010, 09:55 PM
Just keep this in mind as you are picking for the 6 time SB champs this year. Only 9 linemen make the team, so with a 2nd round already used on a tackle you are pretty much saying adios to Hills- which is ok, I guess. If you pick any other linemen they are susceptible to being cut from here on out simply because of numbers. They will have to compete with all the veterans- which means a rookie would have to beat out either Urbik or Legursky at this point. Or they get put on the PS.

** Unless there is an injury which saved us last year when Stapleton went down allowing an extra OL to stick around.

Legursky is looking good in the weight room which should transfer over to the field this summer. He's come a long way and I think will be our future C.

hawaiiansteel
04-18-2010, 10:08 PM
Just keep this in mind as you are picking for the 6 time SB champs this year. Only 9 linemen make the team, so with a 2nd round already used on a tackle you are pretty much saying adios to Hills- which is ok, I guess. If you pick any other linemen they are susceptible to being cut from here on out simply because of numbers. They will have to compete with all the veterans- which means a rookie would have to beat out either Urbik or Legursky at this point. Or they get put on the PS.

** Unless there is an injury which saved us last year when Stapleton went down allowing an extra OL to stick around.

Legursky is looking good in the weight room which should transfer over to the field this summer. He's come a long way and I think will be our future C.

yes, I believe Hills will be cut this year...he has shown absolutely nothing to this point.

Jom112
04-19-2010, 01:25 AM
Jom has Everson Griffen as his round 1 target in his sig mock, so we know that he likes him a bunch. Here we are in round 2, and Griffen is still on the board. However, he took DE Jason Pierre-Paul in round 1. With JPP joining Antwan Odom, Robert Geathers, Frostee Rucker, and 2009 draft pick Michael Johnson at DE, could he possibly take another DE as a B.P.A. choice? Or does he go with the bigger need and take a TE or WR instead? Hmmm...

Was regretting the JPP pick, with Griffen still on the board. Oh well. Went with Daryl Washington, who I like a lot. A year in the system behind Dhani Jones should do wonders for him...

hawaiiansteel
04-19-2010, 01:31 AM

Was regretting the JPP pick, with Griffen still on the board. Oh well. Went with Daryl Washington, who I like a lot. A year in the system behind Dhani Jones should do wonders for him...

Daryl Washington is a great pick, I was considering him for the Steelers but he fits your defensive system a lot better than ours.

pfelix73
04-19-2010, 09:46 AM
I just took Everson Griffen with the Eagles 2nd pick in the 2nd round- great value, I think, this late in the 2nd round.

Not sure if he'll last this long in the draft that counts, though.

:tt1

hawaiiansteel
04-19-2010, 12:36 PM
I just took Everson Griffen with the Eagles 2nd pick in the 2nd round- great value, I think, this late in the 2nd round.

Not sure if he'll last this long in the draft that counts, though.

:tt1

probably not, but here is what Walter Football says about Griffen - no way the Steelers would draft this guy...

Weaknesses:

Highly inconsistent
Never really dominates
Lacks a pass rush repertoire
Lacks awareness - struggles to diagnose
Below-average instincts
Unimpressive motor
Underproductive
Very raw prospect
Poor hand use
Should be more powerful
Might lack some leadership
Doesn't play a high percentage of snaps

Summary: If the Raiders pass up on Griffen in the first round, then he could very well fall to the second round. I have watched a LOT of tape on Griffen and the tape just isn't there to justify a top-20 draft pick. He's a soft football player and I question his love of the game with his physical tools. Griffen seems like a boom-or-bust prospect at the next level, and I'm not leaning towards "boom."

Player Comparison: Robert Geathers. Griffen doesn't have his motor, but he's an average defensive end with good athleticism. I see a similar career for Griffen.

Jom112
04-19-2010, 12:48 PM
Player Comparison: Robert Geathers. Griffen doesn't have his motor, but he's an average defensive end with good athleticism. I see a similar career for Griffen.

That is absolutely the worst comparison that I have ever heard. Geathers is a high motor guy that lacks speed or skill to get sacks.

Griffen is a physical freak that has gotten by on talent alone so far. If the light bulb goes on for him he will be a beast in the NFL, if not he will still be better than Geathers at getting to the QB because he is so physically gifted.

Also nice pick with Brandon Ghee. I had the Ravens all queued up to take him before you did...

hawaiiansteel
04-19-2010, 01:05 PM

That is absolutely the worst comparison that I have ever heard. Geathers is a high motor guy that lacks speed or skill to get sacks.

Griffen is a physical freak that has gotten by on talent alone so far. If the light bulb goes on for him he will be a beast in the NFL, if not he will still be better than Geathers at getting to the QB because he is so physically gifted.

Also nice pick with Brandon Ghee. I had the Ravens all queued up to take him before you did...

Griffen provides good value here in the middle of Round 2, he is definitely a boom or bust type of player. I had him near the top of my value board but I just don't see the Steelers picking a guy like that...especially this year.

Ghee was the top-rated DB left on my board, glad I was able to help out in keeping him away from the Ravens... :D

Jom112
04-19-2010, 07:32 PM
Griffen provides good value here in the middle of Round 2, he is definitely a boom or bust type of player. I had him near the top of my value board but I just don't see the Steelers picking a guy like that...especially this year.

Ghee was the top-rated DB left on my board, glad I was able to help out in keeping him away from the Ravens... :D

To be honest, I think I should have selected Everson Griffen instead of JPP at #21. A lot of people are down on Griffen which is why I took JPP instead, but personally I think Griffen will end up being the best DE from his years draft (Except maybe Brandon Graham)...

Discipline of Steel
04-19-2010, 09:22 PM
Hurry up Hawaiian and trade ahead of the Chiefs so we can have Gerhardt as our 3rd round pick!

hawaiiansteel
04-19-2010, 09:55 PM
Hurry up Hawaiian and trade ahead of the Chiefs so we can have Gerhardt as our 3rd round pick!

maybe that was just a very clever smokescreen by HardlinerKC? :lol:

Discipline of Steel
04-19-2010, 10:17 PM

If it was, it would be very very clever. Still sucks for my hopes of getting him in the real draft.

hawaiiansteel
04-19-2010, 10:29 PM
[quote="Discipline of Steel":2k0vam5k]Hurry up Hawaiian and trade ahead of the Chiefs so we can have Gerhardt as our 3rd round pick!

If it was, it would be very very clever. Still sucks for my hopes of getting him in the real draft.[/quote:2k0vam5k]

you had a chance to take Gerhart for the Vikings, did you think that McCluster was a better fit for the Vikes?

and you do know how long it's been since a white RB did well in the NFL, don't you?

hawaiiansteel
04-19-2010, 10:35 PM
Q. what do white NFL RBs and Eminem and K-Fed have in common?

A. they're all Caucasian guys trying to do what African-Americans tend to do better.

Just kidding, i actually like Toby Gerhart a lot - but the stereotype does exist...

Race factors into evaluation of Gerhart

PALO ALTO, Calif. – If you’ve seen Toby Gerhart carry the football, you’re well aware that the former Stanford halfback and Heisman Trophy runner-up is about as subtle as Iron Man. It’s no surprise, then, that as the NFL draft approaches, the player one AFC front-office executive described as “a bowling ball with butter knives” is hell-bent on obliterating the perception that he lacks the athleticism to succeed in the pros.

“I’m just a running back who tries to do what he can to win games and score touchdowns, but people have their opinions, and it’s kind of frustrating,” Gerhart said earlier this month between bites of pizza. “People say, ‘He’s slow,’ or ‘He’s not going to be able to break tackles at the next level.’ In college I went up against players like [USC’s] Brian Cushing(notes) and Clay Matthews(notes) – guys who ended up making the Pro Bowl [as NFL rookies] – and I ran through their tackles. It’s too bad people look at you all weird because of a stereotype.”

When NFL scouts look at Gerhart, they see a 6-foot, 231-pound power back who ran for 1,871 yards and 27 touchdowns last season, getting edged out by Alabama’s Mark Ingram in the closest Heisman vote in history. When they look at Gerhart’s numbers from the NFL scouting combine, they see that he ran a 4.50-second 40-yard dash and registered a 38-inch vertical leap, both impressive numbers for a player his size.

Yet they also see a white guy trying to make it in the league as a feature back, something that has become increasingly rare in this era. Peyton Hillis(notes), now with the Cleveland Browns, led the Denver Broncos in rushing yards in 2008, but was limited to just 54 last season in part because of 2009 draft pick Knowshon Moreno’s(notes) addition.

Race shouldn’t be an issue, of course, but Gerhart can’t help but believe that it has colored the opinions of at least some potential employers.

“One team I interviewed with asked me about being a white running back,” Gerhart says. “They asked if it made me feel entitled, or like I felt I was a poster child for white running backs. I said, ‘No, I’m just out there playing ball. I don’t think about that.’ I didn’t really know what to say.”

One longtime NFL scout insisted that Gerhart’s skin color will likely prevent the Pac-10’s offensive player of the year from being drafted in Thursday’s first round.

“He’ll be a great second-round pickup for somebody, but I guarantee you if he was the exact same guy – but he was black – he’d go in the first round for sure,” the scout said. “You could make a case that he’s a Steven Jackson-type – doesn’t have blazing speed but he’s strong and powerful and versatile.”

Gerhart isn’t used to such comparisons. He’s typically cast as the next John Riggins or Mike Alstott(notes) or, less flatteringly, as an updated version of another former Stanford star, Tommy Vardell, who had an unremarkable NFL career after being picked ninth overall in the 1992 draft.

“You hear that I’m like those guys, or like [current Cincinnati Bengals back] Brian Leonard(notes),” Gerhart says. “I see myself more like Deuce McAllister(notes) or Michael Turner(notes).”

It’s possible, of course, that Gerhart is overestimating his own abilities – if so, he certainly wouldn’t be the first player to do so publicly in the weeks leading up to the draft.

I’ve spoken with numerous NFL talent evaluators about Gerhart over the past few months, and there are plenty of skeptics who don’t seem to be locked into mindless stereotypes.

“I don’t like him,” one NFC general manager told me at the combine. “If he’s your No. 1 back, he’s going to get killed by the end of the season, because he takes too many hits. And he has no special teams value. To me, what you see is what you get. He’s pretty good at everything, but he doesn’t do anything that’s special at our level.”

Said an AFC front-office executive: “This guy runs exactly the way the hole is blocked and gets exactly what you think he’s going to get – maybe a little more because he runs so hard, but nothing more explosive than that. He runs so upright, he’s going to get lit up.”’

“There’s no reason I shouldn’t really like him, but I just don’t,” added another AFC personnel executive. “He’s not really shifty, but he gets yards. He’s fast, but it’s a long speed, and not really a quick speed. You want me to compare him to a black guy? How about T.J. Duckett(notes)? There’s a big, fast guy who hasn’t been productive in the NFL.”

Yet others believe Gerhart’s exceptional production at Stanford, a program that was struggling mightily upon his arrival, is indicative of his immense pro potential.

“I love the guy,” says former Cardinals, Rams and 49ers scout David Razzano, who is based on the West Coast and attended several of Gerhart’s games over the past two seasons. “You’ve got to see him live to appreciate him. He’s not just a plodder. He’s deceptively fast, elusive, has quick feet and has great vision at the line of scrimmage. And he’s great in the red zone.

“He’s a bell-cow back. If there’s nothing there, he’ll get four yards. He was productive in high school and in college, and guys like that don’t change – he’ll be productive in the NFL.”

Gerhart, who was flown in for pre-draft visits by the Baltimore Ravens, Philadelphia Eagles, Browns and San Diego Chargers, says he’d consider playing fullback in the pros “if that’s what it takes to get on the field.” But he bristles at the notion that it might even be a consideration. “Prior to the combine, all I heard was, ‘He’s gonna run in the 4.7s,’ ” Gerhart says. “I read this blog that said, ‘Why was Toby the only running back who had to run under 4.6 to not be classified as a fullback?’ Fifteen other guys ran in the 4.6s at the combine, and nothing was said about them [playing fullback].”

Plenty of Pac-10 defenders wish Gerhart had been typecast as a fullback during his collegiate career – or that the former Cardinal baseball star had chosen to focus on that sport. Certainly, no one at USC was devastated that Gerhart decided not to return for a fourth college season after his epic performance in Stanford’s stunning, 55-21 victory over the Trojans in Los Angeles last November, the high point of an 8-5 season that ended with a narrow Sun Bowl defeat to Oklahoma.

“That’s by far my favorite victory,” Gerhart says of the USC game. “We were up big at the end and hitting ‘em in the mouth – we ran 15 of the last 18 plays from the exact same formation, where we’d motion the tight end one way or the other and I’d run to that side. At one point one of their linebackers yelled, ‘If you guys run ‘Power’ one more time I’m walking off the field.’ It was classic.”

Oh, and here’s some background information of which NFL teams might want to take note: Pete Carroll, USC’s coach at the time, had tried to recruit Gerhart out of high school – as a fullback.

In other words, underestimate him at your own peril, and brace yourself for maximum impact.

Jom112
04-20-2010, 02:05 PM
Good picks for Buffalo and Miami, Ruthless. Also I love that there are so many more 3-4 defenses now...

RuthlessBurgher
04-20-2010, 02:12 PM
Good picks for Buffalo and Miami, Ruthless. Also I love that there are so many more 3-4 defenses now...

Of course, you like more 3-4 defenses. Us, on the other hand...

hawaiiansteel
04-20-2010, 08:22 PM
the Carolina Panthers are on the clock and have been for awhile now - in hopes of speeding up this selection, here are some suggestions:

QB - Tony Pike, Dan LeFevour
TE - Aaron Hernandez
WR - Eric Decker, Taylor Price, Jacoby Ford, Jordan Shipley
OG - Jon Asamoah, John Jerry
OC - Matt Tennant

Jom112
04-20-2010, 09:08 PM
the Carolina Panthers are on the clock and have been for awhile now - in hopes of speeding up this selection, here are some suggestions:

TE - Aaron Hernandez
OC - Matt Tennant

I would say Pike or Decker...

hawaiiansteel
04-20-2010, 09:36 PM

TE - Aaron Hernandez
OC - Matt Tennant

I would say Pike or Decker...

:Agree

AkronSteel should jump ahead of Carolina and make the 49'ers selection.

D Rock
04-20-2010, 10:04 PM
any chance I can change and take Decker for the Jags third round pick now that other teams are talking about taking him a round before I thought he would be discussed?!?!?

hawaiiansteel
04-20-2010, 10:26 PM
any chance I can change and take Decker for the Jags third round pick now that other teams are talking about taking him a round before I thought he would be discussed?!?!?

check out this scouting report on Eric Decker from Walter Football -

Eric Decker, 6-2/215

Wide Receiver

Minnesota

By Matt McGuire

Strengths:
Imposing size for his position
Very strong; shows power to get off jam
Adept to reading coverages and settling into zone
Aggressive runner off the catch; can break some tackles
Great hands and ball skills
Shows ability to adjust to poorly thrown ball
Elite concentration when ball is in air; good body control
Tough and will hang onto ball after big hit
Red-zone weapon
Knows how to take advantage of his size; plays as big as he is
Will go over the middle
Very good blocker
Does a good job of selling routes
Dips his hips and changes speeds in routes
Great character and work ethic

Weaknesses:
Doesn't show much upside after the catch
Lacks some agility
Doesn't have a second gear or explosive speed
Not much of a deep threat
Might struggle with bump coverage in NFL
Limited upside

Summary: Decker is the prototypical possession, No. 2 receiver in the NFL. Teams will know exactly what they will get with Decker because he will work hard on and off the field. He will never be a stat monster in the NFL, but he will draw away double teams and he is a major threat in the red zone to score with his size, body control and hands. Decker will probably go off the board in the late first to early second round.

Player Comparison: Kevin Walter. Walter is a very reliable possession receiver for the Texans, but doesn't have much upside.

RuthlessBurgher
04-20-2010, 10:59 PM

Okay...since he hasn't been taken yet, I'll change it to Decker. Carlton Mitchell is available once again (somewhere in Chicago, a guy named Jom smiles).

Jom112
04-20-2010, 11:03 PM

Okay...since he hasn't been taken yet, I'll change it to Decker. Carlton Mitchell is available once again (somewhere in Chicago, a guy named Jom smiles).

I don't know what your talking about. On a completely unrelated topic, anyone want to trade their pick to me... :lol:

hawaiiansteel
04-20-2010, 11:05 PM

I don't know what your talking about. On a completely unrelated topic, anyone want to trade their pick to me... :lol:

yeah, you might need to get in front of the Pittsburgh Steelers... :D

steelblood
04-21-2010, 08:39 AM
Veldheer in the 2nd? Hawaiian, did a coconut fall on your head?

I read the the rationale. But, I watched this kid play in an all star game (texas vs the nation, I believe). His feet are supposed to be good. The kid from Stillman (who ran terribly at the combine) made him look silly on consecutive plays. Then, the coaches gave him chip help on every play and he still sucked donkey gonads. I saw no flashes. Strength was adequate at best. He was fooled by average moves from an average prospect. He bent at the waist and showed poor technique. His stamina even looked poor.

In truth, you weren't left with a lot of great options and you did well in the first. But, if the Steelers took Veldheer in the second, I'd be very disappointed.

RuthlessBurgher
04-21-2010, 09:12 AM
Steelers are up again. Which way do we go now?

CB like Dominique Franks, Amari Spievey, or Javier Arenas?
OLB like Ricky Sapp or Eric Norwood?
ILB like Donald Butler, Jamar Chaney, or Brandon Spikes?
WR like Carlton Mitchell, Andre Roberts, or Taylor Price?
RB like Montario Hardesty, Anthony Dixon, or Joe McKnight?
OG like Jon Asamoah, John Jerry, or Mike Johnson?
DE like Arthur Jones or Mike Neal?
S like Reshad Jones, Major Wright, or Darrell Stuckey?

hawaiiansteel
04-21-2010, 09:15 AM

I read the the rationale. But, I watched this kid play in an all star game (texas vs the nation, I believe). His feet are supposed to be good. The kid from Stillman (who ran terribly at the combine) made him look silly on consecutive plays. Then, the coaches gave him chip help on every play and he still sucked donkey gonads. I saw no flashes. Strength was adequate at best. He was fooled by average moves from an average prospect. He bent at the waist and showed poor technique. His stamina even looked poor.

In truth, you weren't left with a lot of great options and you did well in the first. But, if the Steelers took Veldheer in the second, I'd be very disappointed.

in my opinion, there was a huge drop-off in OTs after Veldheer which is why i took him in the 2nd round. he is very raw and will need time to develop, but he is a physical specimen having placed in the Top-10 in all six of the categories that were tested at the Combine.

give Coach Kugler that kind of physical talent and the luxury of not having to start Veldheer for a couple of seasons when Colon becomes an UFA and the pick makes a lot of sense for the future.

hawaiiansteel
04-21-2010, 09:48 AM

in my opinion, there was a huge drop-off in OTs after Veldheer which is why i took him in the 2nd round. he is very raw and will need time to develop, but he is a physical specimen having placed in the Top-10 in all six of the categories that were tested at the Combine.

give Coach Kugler that kind of physical talent and the luxury of not having to start Veldheer for a couple of seasons when Colon becomes an UFA and the pick makes a lot of sense for the future.

and yes, a coconut has fallen on my head...several times if you listen to my wife... :D

Jom112
04-21-2010, 12:16 PM
What's funny about the last selection is that I just predicted yesterday on another board that Joe Mcknight would go to the Packers in the 3rd round...

hawaiiansteel
04-21-2010, 02:28 PM
What's funny about the last selection is that I just predicted yesterday on another board that Joe Mcknight would go to the Packers in the 3rd round...

great minds think alike... :Cheers

hawaiiansteel
04-22-2010, 02:28 AM
it will be interesting to see who is smarter, us or Rick Gosselin...this is his final mock that he's so well-known for.

By RICK GOSSELIN
The Dallas Morning News

1. St. Louis
Sam Bradford
Quarterback
Oklahoma
QB, Pass rush, WR, DT
The Rams have passed on potential franchise quarterbacks Matt Ryan and Mark Sanchez in the last two drafts. Both have started NFL playoff games. St. Louis must stop ignoring the quarterback position.

2. Detroit
Ndamukong Suh
Defensive tackle
Nebraska
RB, CB, DL, OL
The Lions need defensive size to tackle Adrian Peterson, plus an inside pass rush to pressure Aaron Rodgers and Jay Cutler in the division. Suh fills both bills for the NFL's 32nd-ranked defense.

3. Tampa Bay
Gerald McCoy
Defensive tackle
Oklahoma
DE, DT, LB, WR
The Buccaneers were one of the NFL's best teams throughout the 2000 decade on the strength of a dominating defensive front. Tampa Bay is no longer dominant up front. Time to reload.

4. Washington
Russell Okung
Offensive tackle
Oklahoma State
LT, QB, NT, RB
If the Redskins can't protect Donovan McNabb, he will suffer the same fate as Jason Campbell (46 sacks and a loss of confidence). Incumbent Chris Samuels has retired at left tackle, so this pick becomes a walk-in starter.

5. Kansas City
Eric Berry
Safety
Tennessee
DT, LB, S, WR
The Chiefs brought in Mike Vrabel for leadership a year ago. But he's 35 this season. Berry will be running the KC defense inside of a year. He's never not started in his football career and also offers corner cover skills.

6. Seattle
Trent Williams
Offensive tackle
Oklahoma
OT, QB, RB, DE
Like the Redskins, the Seahawks also need to find a blindside pass protector for their veteran quarterback. Seattle QBs were sacked 41 times last season, and Matt Hasselbeck couldn't stay healthy under that assault.

7. Cleveland
Derrick Morgan
Outside linebacker
Georgia Tech
QB, S, CB, DE
The Browns need help across the board on defense. They traded their top pass rusher (OLB Kamerion Wimbley) to Oakland this off-season. Morgan is coming off a 121/2-sack season at Georgia Tech.

8. Oakland
Anthony Davis
Offensive tackle
Rutgers
LT, QB, LB, DE
No quarterback - not JaMarcus Russell, Bruce Gradkowski or Charlie Frye - has a chance until the Raiders start protecting him. Oakland allowed 49 sacks in 2009. Davis is the best athlete of any left tackle on the board.

9. Buffalo
Dan Williams
Defensive tackle
Tennessee
QB, NT, OT, WR
The Bills are switching to a 3-4 defense in 2010, and that scheme starts with a nose tackle who can attract double- and triple-teams. Williams is that guy. At 327, he's a space-eater who makes plays.

10. Jacksonville
Brandon Graham
Defensive end
Michigan
Pass rush, LB, S, DT
Graham is the most polished pass rusher in this draft. He'll have the quickest impact - and a Jacksonville defense that ranked last in the NFL in sacks is in dire need of someone who can have an instant impact.

11. Denver
Rolando McClain
Middle linebacker
Alabama
MLB, DT, WR, Power RB
The Broncos cut starting inside middle linebacker Andra Davis at season's end. McClain is a walk-in starter. He won the Butkus Award as the best linebacker in college football last season.

12. Miami Demaryius
Thomas
Wide receiver
Georgia Tech
NT, RB, S, CB
The Dolphins have a young quarterback in Chad Henne. The way to accelerate his development is to surround him with playmakers. With the arrival of Brandon Marshall and Thomas, Henne could be a Pro Bowler very soon.

13. San Francisco
Joe Haden
Cornerback
Florida
OT, CB, S, WR
The 49ers will look at RB C.J. Spiller - but he'd arrive as a backup to Frank Gore. Haden walks in as a starter and fills a void in an area of need. You can't win the NFC West unless you can cover Larry Fitzgerald.

14. Seattle
Ryan Mathews
Halfback
Fresno State
OT, QB, RB, DE
Mathews is better suited to be an every-down back than C.J. Spiller because he has the bulk at 220 pounds. Spiller is a Reggie Bush clone at 198 pounds. The Seahawks need an every-down back to improve the NFL's 26th-ranked rushing attack.

15. NY Giants
Jason Pierre-Paul
Defensive end
South Florida
MLB, Pass rush, CB, TE
Pierre-Paul played only one season of college football but has the most upside of any pass rusher in this draft at 6-5, 270 with 4.64 speed. Osi Umenyiora (Troy) was supposed to be a project, too, and he became a Pro Bowler.

16. Tennessee
Kyle Wilson
Cornerback
Boise State
DE, CB, S, KR
The Titans need to improve the front and back end of their defense. But the D-line quality has vanished by this point of the draft. So the focus shifts to a very talented first-round cornerback board.

17. San Francisco
Bryan Bulaga
Offensive tackle
Iowa
OT, CB, S, WR
The 49ers need a right tackle to bookend Joe Staley on the left side, and the best right tackle in the draft slides to them at 17. They'd look again at C.J. Spiller, but quality tackles are harder to find than running backs.

18. Pittsburgh
Maurkice Pouncey
Center
Florida
Int. OL, CB, S, QB
With Ben Roethlisberger's future in flux, the Steelers are likely to revert to the power offense that won Super Bowls in the 1970s. But you need blockers, and Pouncey gives them flexibility at center and guard.

19. Atlanta
Mike Iupati
Guard
Idaho
CB, S, Int. OL
Like the Steelers, the Falcons need to get their run game back on track. They fell from first in the NFL in 2008 to 15th in 2009. Better blockers produce better runners. Iupati is the best drive-blocker in the draft.

20. Houston
C.J. Spiller
Halfback
Clemson
RB, CB, Int. OL, S
The Texans can't have another season from Steve Slaton like 2009. Maybe it was a sophomore slump. Spiller gives them insurance against that. He's also a fine complementary piece if Slaton does bounce back.

21. Cincinnati
Jermaine Gresham
Tight end
Oklahoma
TE, DE, Int.OL, S
The Bengals need to give QB Carson Palmer a reliable safety-valve option. Cincinnati got fewer than 50 catches from its tight ends last season. Gresham can be to Palmer what Jason Witten is to Tony Romo.

22. New England
Earl Thomas
Safety
Texas
TE, DL, Pass rush, CB
The Patriots have defensive needs in this draft but also the luxury of taking the best player on the board. It's Thomas, who gives them a combination of a cover safety and ballhawk. He had eight interceptions last fall.

23. Green Bay
Jerry Hughes
Outside linebacker
TCU
Pass rush, OT, CB
Dom Capers would like to give the Packers a version of the Blitzburgh scheme he ran in Pittsburgh in the 1990s. He has one elite pass rusher in Clay Matthews, and Hughes would give Capers pressure from the other side.

24. Philadelphia
Devin McCourty
Cornerback
Rutgers
OL, DL, CB, TE
Not only is McCourty an elite cover cornerback, he may be the best special teams player in this draft. He blocked seven kicks and returned a kickoff for a touchdown in his career. He replaces Sheldon Brown.

25. Baltimore
Kareem Jackson
Cornerback
Alabama
DT, TE, CB, Pass rush
The Ravens have always won with a physical brand of defense, and Jackson is the most physical corner in this draft. He goes from the No. 2-ranked defense in college to the No. 3-ranked defense in the NFL.

26. Arizona
Sean Weatherspoon
Outside linebacker
Missouri
OLB, S, WR, TE
The Cardinals have two huge holes in their defense with the departures this off-season of OLB Karlos Dansby and FS Antrel Rolle. Weatherspoon gives Arizona a linebacker with the same physical and athletic traits as Dansby.

27. Dallas
Dez Bryant
Wide receiver
Oklahoma State
LT, S, WR, Youth on OL
Bryant won't slide to the Cowboys at 27, so look for Jerry Jones to move up if Bryant tumbles deep into the teens. Bryant has immaturity issues that are scaring teams off. Jones still regrets passing on Randy Moss.

28. San Diego
Jared Odrick
Defensive end
Penn State
RB, NT, Blocking TE, CB
The Chargers need help up front, and Odrick falls into the category of best player available. The Big Ten's Defensive Player of the Year brings 304 pounds of run defense excellence to NFL's 20th-ranked run defense.

29. NY Jets
Patrick Robinson
Cornerback
Florida State
C, CB, Pass rush, RB
There's a flat spot on this board from Nos. 29-32 where first-round talent runs out, and teams will be drafting what they consider second-round players. Look for the Jets to try to trade out. Failing there, give them Robinson.

30. Minnesota
Jimmy Clausen
Quarterback
Notre Dame
CB, S, DT, RB
The Vikings were hoping a cornerback would slide to them but instead hit the jackpot with the slide of Clausen. He gives them their QB of the future when Brett Favre finally does retire, probably in 2011.

31. Indianapolis
Rodger Saffold
Offensive tackle
Indiana
OL, DL, 2 CB
The Colts released a starting guard (Ryan Lilja) this off-season, so there's an immediate opening on the AFC champions. Saffold has value in his versatility. Scouts think he can play center, guard or tackle.

32. New Orleans
Brian Price
Defensive tackle
UCLA
OLB, S, DT, Pass rusher
If the Saints want to repeat as NFC South champions, they must bulk up the defensive front to slow down the elite running backs at Atlanta and Carolina. Price was the Pac-10's Defensive Player of the Year.

48. Carolina
Chris Cook
Cornerback/Safety
Virginia
WR, QB, DE, TE
The Panthers don't pick until the second round. Cook is the biggest corner in the draft at 6-2, 212 pounds. Some teams project him as a safety. He can give the Panthers a physical presence at corner or as a cover safety.

75. Chicago
Major Wright
Safety
Florida
CB, S, WR, Int. OL
The Bears don't pick until the third round. The offensive line, running back, quarterback and linebacker boards will be picked clean by then. So the Bears take the best player on the board - a playmaking safety.

hawaiiansteel
05-02-2010, 05:22 PM
[quote="Discipline of Steel":2oxj6oqe]Yuck! and drat you D Rock for reaching on Tebow...the Vikings were planning to select Favre II at the end of the round. We were hoping an apt pupil would be enough to keep Favre out of retirement for one more season whilst he pours all of his knowledge and experience into TT. Favre had even discussed a willingness to give up his #4 so people would think it was still him on the field 10 years from now...

Pouncey was a great value where you picked, i'm surprised he lasted as long as he did. if he had dropped a couple of more spots the Steelers were seriously considering offering their 2nd and 3rd rounder for Pouncey...[/quote:2oxj6oqe]

if the Vikings hadn't picked Pouncey in this mock draft i was going to trade up for Maurkice Pouncey...i'm very glad the Steelers chose him in the real draft.

i would have strongly considered Pouncey at #18 but Earl Thomas was available and i really, really liked him...