PDA

View Full Version : Dez Bryant, Golden Tate or Regus Benn anyone?

hawaiiansteel
04-12-2010, 03:19 AM
WRs Golden Tate, Carlton Mitchell and Joe Webb have been in for visits as well...

April 12

(12:01 AM): Steelers get late pick for star WR ... Pittsburgh has traded troubled WR Santonio Holmes to the New York Jets for a fifth-round pick, the 155th overall which the Jets acquired from Philadelphia, in this year's draft. In dealing the pick to Pittsburgh, the Jets are left with just 5 picks this year including only three in the first 5 rounds.

Pittsburgh, on the other hand, now has 11 2010 selections, tied for second most in the league. The Steelers however are left with a major hole at WR that they will likely have to address early at this April's draft. Indeed, the Steelers have reportedly already shown interest in several top receiver prospects including Dez Bryant of Oklahoma State and Illinois' Regus Benn.

http://www.gbnreport.com/

NJ-STEELER
04-12-2010, 03:25 AM
this trade came in right after Benn visited with them.

maybe he sold himself well the other day.

mendenhall could give a reference as well

dont know about Dez..... heard he shoed up to one game 30 mins before kickoff. a home game none the less with all the players bused in from a hotel the night before

hawaiiansteel
04-12-2010, 03:39 AM
this trade came in right after Benn visited with them.

maybe he sold himself well the other day.

mendenhall could give a reference as well

dont know about Dez..... heard he shoed up to one game 30 mins before kickoff. a home game none the less with all the players bused in from a hotel the night before

here are WalterFootball's scouting reports on these 3 receivers, Benn doesn't sound that great.

2010 NFL Draft: Wide Receiver Rankings

This page was last updated April 12, 2010.

Dez Bryant, Oklahoma State - Scouting Report

Height: 6-2. Weight: 224.
Projected 40 Time: 4.54.
Pro Day 40 Time: 4.52.
Vertical: 38. Broad: 11-1.
Projected Round (2010): Top 22 Pick.

3/30/10: Dez Bryant forgot to bring his cleats to his Pro Day (doh!) but still managed to run a 4.52 - a pretty standard time for him. He also impressively notched an 11-1 broad jump. Unfortunately, he dropped some passes in the drills, but anyone familiar with his game shouldn't be surprised by that, as he has lapses in concentration at times. Bryant remains a top-20 pick and the No. 1 wideout in this class.

3/19/10: Dez Bryant was seen at Pac Man Jones' workout on Friday. Bryant already has character concerns, so he's not too smart to be associating himself with Pac Man. Bryant should still be a top-20 pick, but it's looking more like he'll be picked somewhere between 11-22.

1/19/10: It looks like Dez Bryant will be the first wideout taken this April, perhaps going as high as No. 11 to Denver. Bryant had 17 catches for 323 yards and four touchdowns in only three games. He can also return punts.

10/10/09: Dez Bryant's season is over. The anal NCAA, the most corrupt organization in America, has suspended Bryant for something stupid.

9/12/09: Dez Bryant led the Cowboys with 77 receiving yards on three catches against Georgia, but those numbers mask the multiple drops and penalties he was guilty of. Bryant is a first-round talent, but looked like he had a Braylon Edwards-esque lack of focus on the field.

2/7/09: A dynamic player in Oklahoma State's explosive offense, Dez Bryant registered 87 receptions for 1,480 yards and 19 touchdowns as a mere sophomore. And he's only going to get better. Bryant also returned two punts to the house.

Golden Tate, Notre Dame - Scouting Report

Height: 5-11. Weight: 202.
Projected 40 Time: 4.41.
Combine 40 Time: 4.36.
Pro Day 40 Time: DNP.
Vertical: . Broad: 10-0.
Projected Round (2010): 1-2.

3/1/10: The Golden Tate Warrior had a fantastic Sunday at the Combine, running a 4.36 and notching a 10-0 broad jump. There's a good chance he'll be drafted at the bottom of Round 1.

2/27/10: Listed at 5-11, 195, Golden Tate weighed in at 5-10, 199 at the Combine. Tate is built like a running back, and there is some speculation that he projects solely as a slot receiver.

1/3/10: Golden Tate has declared for the 2010 NFL Draft. The Golden Tate Warrior made an obvious decision; with Charlie Weis and Jimmy Clausen gone, Tate almost had to declare.

11/7/09: Doesn't have the upside of an Arrelious Benn, but I'd rather have the sure thing. Golden Tate has 56 catches for 927 yards and nine touchdowns in eight games.

10/10/09: Golden Tate has really stepped up his production with Michael Floyd out. Through five games, Tate has 33 receptions, 602 yards and four touchdowns.

5/13/09: As a mere sophomore, Golden Tate caught 58 balls for 1,080 yards and 10 touchdowns in Notre Dame's pro-style offense. With another great year, Tate could be a first-round prospect.

Arrelious Benn, Illinois - Scouting Report

Height: 6-1. Weight: 218.
Projected 40 Time: 4.46.
Combine 40 Time: 4.48.
Pro Day 40 Time: 4.40.
Vertical: 37.5. Broad: 10-1.
Projected Round (2010): 1-2.

3/20/10: Arrelious Benn ran a great 4.40 at his Pro Day. He'll likely be the second or third receiver taken off the board.

3/1/10: Mixed reviews at the Combine: Arrelious Benn had a very nice 40 (4.48) at his size, but dropped numerous passes in the drills. He's Braylon Edwards 2.0.

1/3/10: Arrelious Benn has declared for the 2010 NFL Draft. Benn had a disastrous junior season mired by drops and poor effort (i.e. the Bengals might be interested in Round 1). Still, it was a great move to get out of the Illinois sinking ship.

11/7/09: Needs to practice catching toilet paper in the super market; his hands suck.

10/10/09: Juice Williams' ineptness has debacled Arrelious Benn, who has only 10 catches in four games. Benn's role in Illinois' goofy offense will cost him on Draft Day.

2/7/09: Lucky for Arrelious Benn - all the top 2010 and 2011 receiving prospects declared, making him the No. 1 wideout on the board. Big Benn caught 67 passes for 1,055 yards as a sophomore.

7/26/08: The Big Ten Freshman of the Year, Arrelious Benn led the Fighting Illini with 54 catches and 676 yards. He was consistent all year, registering at least four receptions in 11 of his 13 games.

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2010WR.php

steelblood
04-12-2010, 07:47 AM
The difference is that Benn is more of a second round receiver. He has better physical talent than Tate, but his hands are iffy.

Oviedo
04-12-2010, 08:05 AM
I think that Tate is now clearly a target. I could see a trade up into early Round 2 for him if he is there.

Hopefully Sweed can get right and we will forget Stupidio pretty quick.

flippy
04-12-2010, 08:27 AM
I still want to load up on defense. Defense + Ben wins SuperBowls.

Ben had to scramble around waiting for Santonio to get open, he can scramble around an hour for ARE to get open too.

We're ok with the receivers we've got.

steelblood
04-12-2010, 08:58 AM
I think that Tate is now clearly a target. I could see a trade up into early Round 2 for him if he is there.

Hopefully Sweed can get right and we will forget Stupidio pretty quick.

I agree. I love Tate's toughness and run after the catch. I don't like his size and ability to gain separation (at least from what I've seen). When I watched him play against good corners, he really had trouble getting separation. Claussen was forced to throw some great back shoulder passes to get him the ball.

RuthlessBurgher
04-12-2010, 09:20 AM
here are WalterFootball's scouting reports on these 3 receivers, Benn doesn't sound that great.

Actually, those weren't the actual Scouting Reports from WalterFootball. Those were just little news snippets. Here are the Scouting reports on those 3 guys:

Dez Bryant, 6-2/210
Wide Receiver
Oklahoma State

Dez Bryant Scouting Report
By Matt McGuire

Strengths:
Above average height
Good muscle definition
Great hands
Will come back to the quarterback and present a window
Dominant on jump balls
Attacks ball at apex
Gets off line of scrimmage
Coordinated and can adjust to the ball
Knows how to set up a receiver and flip their hips
Athletic
Nice sideline awareness
Tough to tackle
Explosive punt returner
Good running vision
Decent amount of upside

Weaknesses:
Route running is still suspect
Rounds off digs and deep outs
Not very fast
Lacks deep speed
Could be more elusive
Doesn't always generate maximum YAC
Needs to eat up cushion more quickly in off man
Needs to work on reading coverages as he does not always identify the zone
A little sluggish coming out of breaks

Summary: Bryant is a talented receiver, but he doesn't seem to project as a No. 1 wideout at the next level. He has the skill set of a dominant No. 2 who can really help a quarterback in the red zone and on third down.

Player Comparison: Chad Ochocinco. Ochocinco and Bryant have very similar builds and great ball skills, but unfortunately lack above average speed.

Golden Tate, 5-11/195
Wide Receiver
Notre Dame

Golden Tate Scouting Report
By Matt McGuire

Strengths:
Extremely productive
Very athletic
Adequate speed to stretch a defense
Great hand-eye coordination
Nice Y.A.C.
Makes acrobatic catches
Strong; not an easy tackle
Plucks ball at apex
Experience in West Coast offense
Comes back to quarterback when play breaks down
Versatile; can play Wildcat, slot, split end
Shows nice vision after catch
Eats cushion quickly
Shifty runner
Intelligent
Great instincts
Good leadership
Had some DOMINANT games
Plays with heart; very competitive

Weaknesses:
Very poor route runner
Doesn't sink hips in break
Doesn't sell route very well
Average size
Not much of a blocker
Doesn't have elite speed
Can he beat jam at next level?
Questionable deep threat
Might need some development
Occasionally drops a routine catch

Summary: I think Tate's draft stock is dependent on his 40 time. If he can run in the 4.4s, then he is a first-round pick. If he doesn't, then it is questionable. Tate profiles as a very good No. 2 receiver at the next level, but don't count on him to be Andre Johnson. Tate played baseball at Notre Dame and was drafted by the Arizona Diamondbacks out of high school in 2007. Tate profiles as a late first- to early second-round pick.

Player Comparison: Steve Smith (Giants). Tate and Smith of course have the size comparison, but they are both natural receivers with good speed.

Arrelious Benn, 6-2/220
Wide Receiver
Illinois

Arrelious Benn Scouting Report
By Matt McGuire

Strengths:
Very big, strong frame
Tough and competitive
Displays great body control
Nice catch radius
Physical runner after the catch - doesn't shy from contact
Good job of reading coverages
Will find the soft spots in zone
Savvy route runner
Changes speeds and really sells the corner
Impressive ball skills
Does a good job of sinking hips and exploding out of breaks
Not afraid to go over the middle
Solid speed and athleticism
Prototypical possession receiver
Love his hand-eye coordination
Nice vision
Terrific agility and change of direction
Great overall skill set

Weaknesses:
Lacks elite vertical speed
A little slow to eat the off-man cushion
Hands were somewhat inconsistent as a junior
Poor junior year production (read summary)
Primarily played in the slot at Illinois - will be asked to be a flanker/split end

Summary: Benn has the talent and polish to contribute very early in his career and I don't doubt that he will be a No. 1 receiver for some team. He wasn't very productive as a junior, but most people I've talked to say the quarterback situation at Illinois really hurt Benn's numbers. Benn will be a far better red=zone weapon in the NFL than he was in college. Benn is expected to go in the latter half of the first round.

Player Comparison: Anquan Boldin. Boldin, like Benn, has a big frame with very good ball skills, athleticism and toughness.

Chadman
04-12-2010, 10:28 AM
Three lower round WR's that might suit nicely are Joe Webb, Freddie Barnes & Chadman's 'smokey'..Dezmon Briscoe.

If we can assume Wallace is Holmes' replacement, the need is for the 'possession reciever' role that ward holds.

pfelix73
04-12-2010, 10:40 AM
You can take Dez Bryant off the list----- there's no way they would deal with his off the field issues.

frankthetank1
04-12-2010, 10:42 AM
Dez Bryant registered 87 receptions for 1,480 yards and 19 touchdowns as a mere sophomore.

wow those are some unbelivable numbers for a sophmore!! i bet tate didnt have those numbers combined in his sophmore and freshman season. if bryant didnt have any character issues he would be a top 10 pick easy. i hate idiots like holmes and other headache wr's but come on. this guy is by far the most talented wr in the draft.

if we dont draft dez then we should wait until next years draft to get a future replacement for holmes or hines. if we move up in the second to draft tate then it will be a horrible mistake. everyone compares him to hines but i really dont see it other than his size and speed being average. we drafted ward pretty late and we are talking about trading up in the 2nd to draft tate?

StarSpangledSteeler
04-12-2010, 11:41 AM
Three lower round WR's that might suit nicely are Joe Webb, Freddie Barnes & Chadman's 'smokey'..Dezmon Briscoe.

If we can assume Wallace is Holmes' replacement, the need is for the 'possession reciever' role that ward holds.

good point. Ben is not a precision QB. He is much more effective when surrounded with a bigger targets with solid hands (ala - Colston).

ramblinjim
04-12-2010, 11:47 AM
Being an Illinois guy, I saw some of Benn's play in college. Let's not forget that his quarterback stunk, I mean just terrible and so did the Illini. I would watch game tape upon game tape and have a good hard talk with Mendenhall before taking Benn but his Sophomore year numbers are pretty good and with even a decent quarterback it could make him a far better receiver.

Shoe
04-12-2010, 06:42 PM
We're ok with the receivers we've got.

We lose one of the better WR's and big-playmaker in the league, and we're OK?

Buddy... I got high hopes for Wallace too; and Hines is my all-time favorite Steeler (#1 or 2; between him and Lloyd).

And we have Heath. But that doesn't mean we are OK. If Wallace regresses (or just stalls in his development), or age catches up to Hines, or more likely than either... an injury forces changes--Then what?

We have to address WR now. I think this pushes O-line needs down (as, you can get an OL later more often than any other spot it seems), CB is still a prime need, as is DL as I see it.

Of the available, Tate is my choice. He is a Hines-like guy IMO. As to Dez, forget it. He is just like S'tonio, Plex... talented as all heck, but pea-brained.

Sugar
04-12-2010, 06:46 PM
Who knows anymore? I hate the idea that we even have to countenance a WR in the draft. We should be looking for DB's and OL and a linebacker or two or three...

We have way too many picks as it is and just got another one. :roll:

Steel Life
04-12-2010, 08:26 PM
Of the three, I'll go for Benn as he has better hands than Tate & is more physical.

If we miss on those three 1st-round guys, we could do well to focus in later rounds on good WRs like LaFell (as good as Benn?) & Decker, with guys like Webb (want this guy!), White, Reed or Long (sleeper pick or priority UDFA) as long-term projects or depth players.

hawaiiansteel
04-19-2010, 03:29 AM
Golden Tate says playing in Pittsburgh would be an "ideal situation"

Posted by Mike Florio on April 18, 2010

When former Notre Dame receiver Golden Tate met with the Steelers, he didn't really think he was on their radar screen. Once Santonio Holmes was traded, Tate suddenly picked up a different vibe.

"[N]ow that Holmes is gone, I'm seeing it's a possibility," Tate told Troy Clardy of 93.7 The Fan in Pittsburgh on Sunday. "I'm anxious to see which direction they take. . . . It would be an ideal situation. I'll be going into a great situation because I would be learning from a guy that I like to model my game after, Hines Ward. I don't think it could get any better than that. I'm going to have the chance to help the team but also learn the game more from a veteran. In my eyes, this would be an ideal situation, and I could definitely see myself going there and wearing black and gold."

But can he stay out of trouble, a subject about which Steeler Nation suddenly is acutely concerned?

"Being at Notre Dame, you're used to being under the microscope, so I'm used to having all eyes on me," Tate said. "Anything I do, anywhere I go. My mother and my father taught me what's right and what's wrong, so I don't think I have a problem making any tough decisions."

Um, that last line could make things a little awkward in the locker room, since it implies that certain parents of certain players who wear a certain single-digit number certainly failed when it came to teaching the right-wrong lesson.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... situation/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/18/golden-tate-says-playing-in-pittsburgh-would-be-an-ideal-situation/)

Oviedo
04-19-2010, 08:04 AM
If we were able to trade down into the mid-20s, I would have no issue at all getting Golden Tate. I really believe this is Ward's last season and Tate is a Hines clone. Additionally, I just have a feeling that Hines will not make it through a complete season healthy. This year Tate would learn and contribute in spots and be ready for next season.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-19-2010, 09:30 AM
Bryant-NO
Tate-NO

Wish list order:
Benn (2nd)
Webb (5th)
Mitchell (3rd)
Sanders (5th)

I believe Benn will be a solid NFL WR. Might be the closet complete WR compared to Ward. Needs to work on Routes and using his hands. If he played for a team with a QB in college...I could have seen him as a 1st. If they are taking one early, I would take him in the 2nd.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Steelers use all picks with 2 WRS selected. Ward, Wallace, & El are the only locks IMO. Sweed (Hoping) needs to show he is ready to compete. Battle is expendable. He's a good 4th or 5th on gameday because of his ST play but if somebody young shows promise, I think you give Battle's spot.

If they Take Benn in the 2nd or Mitchell in the 3rd, then I would be ok with just 1 WR in the draft. A better scenario might be to use the first 4 picks to address D/OL and take Webb & Sanders in the 5th. I wouldn't make it easy on Sweed at all. If Sweed takes that step and Webb & Sanders show promise, carry 6 WR with Battle being released. If Sweed turns out to be the same WR we saw the last couple of years and they draft Webb & Sanders....You have options. Carry 5 with Sweed & Battle being released. Carry 6 with Sweed being released. Carry 6 with Battle isn't a big reach. Battle would just be that (ST) player with a true position. Madison would be expendable.