PDA

View Full Version : 5th plus Leon Washington????

steelerkeylargo
04-12-2010, 12:56 AM
Leon Washington can be part of trade package only after signing his tender
Posted by Mike Florio on April 12, 2010 12:50 AM ET
There are rumors flying in the wake of the trade that sent receiver Santonio Holmes from the Steelers to the Jets that the compensation package includes both a fifth-round draft pick and running back Leon Washington.

Though we're not yet prepared to declare with 100 percent certainty that this rumor is off the mark, it's highly unlikely that Washington would be part of the deal. In order to be traded, Washington must first sign his restricted free agency tender offer. Given the apparent speed with which this deal transpired, it's unlikely that Washington inked the deal before the Steelers and the Jets worked out their trade.

That said, it's possible that the Jets and Steelers have a wink-nod baseball-style "future considerations" arrangement, whereby Washington will be shipped to Pittsburgh at a later date.

Possible, but not likely.

birtikidis
04-12-2010, 12:59 AM
i don't see it happening. though it wouldn't be a bad pick up for us...

hawaiiansteel
04-12-2010, 01:25 AM
i personally would feel much better about this trade if Leon Washington were somehow included in the deal.

Shawn
04-12-2010, 01:25 AM
Holmes > Ranked 6th best in the NFL among Wideouts in highest percentage of 1st downs per reception.

Holmes > Ranked 1st overall in the NFL among wideouts (with at least 70+ receptions) in Highest Percentage of 1st downs per reception

Washington better be part of the deal.

Chadman
04-12-2010, 01:32 AM
Here's the thing- we've all been waiting to see how the Rooney's would react.

This is how.

Personally, Chadman is kinda proud of the organisation for taking this stand.

It shows that integrity still holds for this team, despite the current employees forgetting that.

If Ben is charged tomorrow, expect something similar to come down, Chadman expects.

And it would be the right thing to do, too.

hawaiiansteel
04-12-2010, 01:47 AM

This is how.

It shows that integrity still holds for this team, despite the current employees forgetting that.

If Ben is charged tomorrow, expect something similar to come down, Chadman expects.

:Agree :Cheers

BradshawsHairdresser
04-12-2010, 09:04 AM

This is how.

:Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap

:Agree :Cheers

D Rock
04-12-2010, 09:06 AM
Tell 'em Chadman.

I'm glad that piece of trash is gone. I don't have to see that idiot flexing after 6 yard catches anymore.

He helped win us a Superbowl, but he's an egotistical thug who will never reach his athletic potential because he doesn't have it between the ears. Thanks for your service, don't let the door hit ya on the way out!

RussBII
04-12-2010, 09:14 AM
All of the "this is the worst trade ever" talk is slaying me.

What's the point of a trade? To improve your team, right?

I think this will improve the team more than we can imagine. It sends a message to any incoming knuckleheads we may draft, it sends a message to us fans saying the ownership is aware of what's going on and doesn't like it, it sends a message to all the current players.

Trading away 1 of our SuperBowl MVP WRs is pretty dramatic.

I'd also like to point out that we still don't know the official terms. (Unless I missed something this morning...)

steelblood
04-12-2010, 09:16 AM

This is how.

Shouldn't we have started this stand by not giving Reed a raise? Reed was arrested or detained twice for some very questionable behavior. He totally gave up on kick coverage this season. I am glad we traded Holmes, but I'm disappointed we rewarded Reed.

Oviedo
04-12-2010, 09:23 AM
Getting more than a 5th Round pick would not be consistent with the Rooney's "emotional and reactionary" thinking as evidenced by the last 75 years of the owenership of the franchise.

steelblood
04-12-2010, 09:42 AM
All of the "this is the worst trade ever" talk is slaying me.

What's the point of a trade? To improve your team, right?

I think this will improve the team more than we can imagine. It sends a message to any incoming knuckleheads we may draft, it sends a message to us fans saying the ownership is aware of what's going on and doesn't like it, it sends a message to all the current players.

Trading away 1 of our SuperBowl MVP WRs is pretty dramatic.

I'd also like to point out that we still don't know the official terms. (Unless I missed something this morning...)

Worst trade ever? No. I haven't heard much, if any, of that. I think this was a good move, but I wish we could have gotten a little more. If Leon Washington is indeed part of the deal, I'm good with it.

Steelgal
04-12-2010, 09:45 AM
I don't know anything about draft pick values, but if they can use this 5th round pick and couple it with 2-3 other picks to move up into the late 1st round - late 2nd, I'm all for it. I think we currently have 11 draft picks now, which makes a move like this a lot more likely.

phillyesq
04-12-2010, 09:47 AM

This is how.

Shouldn't we have started this stand by not giving Reed a raise? Reed was arrested or detained twice for some very questionable behavior. He totally gave up on kick coverage this season. I am glad we traded Holmes, but I'm disappointed we rewarded Reed.

The two situations are a bit different. For one, Holmes has been involved with dumb and asinine incidents since the day he was arrested. The other difference is that Reed was smart enough to stay quiet after he got himself arrested. He didn't show disrespect to the Rooneys, the Steelers and their fans by inviting people to go kill themselves, suggesting that the "fans don't pay his salary," or saying anything else asinine via twitter.

SteelAbility
04-12-2010, 09:54 AM
If we can get Leon Washington out of this deal that would be totally sweet.

Tomlinator
04-12-2010, 10:07 AM
Getting only a fifth rounder is pretty disappointing, but its better then nothing. Even if he walked after his current contract the best we could have hoped for was a pick in the 3rd to 5th round range anyway. Given his bonehead off field antics, would someone have signed him for 3rd round competency pick value?

I really hope that the Leon Washington rumor is real. He would be a good addition. Maybe there is another under the table part of the deal if Washington doesn't sign his tender? Here is the Jets' draft picks according to ESPN - doesn't look like much to work with if we look for a "we'll pick your guy for you with our pick" type of deal.

1 29 (29)
2 29 (61)
4 26 (124) from Arizona
6 29 (198)
7 29 (236

frankthetank1
04-12-2010, 10:16 AM
a 5th round pick?? that is crap. great we can draft the next willie gay with a 5th round pick. washington better be part of the deal. that would make it a little better. washington is a great rb but if he is part of the deal then we wont be drafting a rb let alone a big rb

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-12-2010, 10:18 AM
The two situations are a bit different. For one, Holmes has been involved with dumb and asinine incidents since the day he was arrested. The other difference is that Reed was smart enough to stay quiet after he got himself arrested. He didn't show disrespect to the Rooneys, the Steelers and their fans by inviting people to go kill themselves, suggesting that the "fans don't pay his salary," or saying anything else asinine via twitter.

Bingo. This is why Holmes was shipped, it has nothing to do with barroom allegations. All the twittering and the supposed four game suspension that he is about to serve to start the season sealed it for him. If he gets caught waking and baking once more then he is gone for a year - which would hit us much harder then a trade today.

calmkiller
04-12-2010, 11:09 AM
Wait...the Jets don't have a 5th rounder this year. So is it next years 5th rounder? The browns have the Jets 5th this year...29(160) Cleveland Browns from NY Jets

_SteeL_CurtaiN_
04-12-2010, 11:38 AM

Reed didn't tell the fan base to eff itself.

Lebsteel
04-12-2010, 11:39 AM
Wait...the Jets don't have a 5th rounder this year. So is it next years 5th rounder? The browns have the Jets 5th this year...29(160) Cleveland Browns from NY Jets
The Jets pick in the 5th round is via the Eagles
http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftorder2010.php

Dee Dub
04-12-2010, 11:43 AM
Holmes > Ranked 6th best in the NFL among Wideouts in highest percentage of 1st downs per reception.

Holmes > Ranked 1st overall in the NFL among wideouts (with at least 70+ receptions) in Highest Percentage of 1st downs per reception

Washington better be part of the deal.

I dont understand why you guys dont get this?? Santonio Holmes is a major off field problem. He isnt worth anything he can do on the field. He has 4 off field incidents including the lastest--coming up dirty on a drug test.

Enough is enough.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-12-2010, 11:56 AM
The trade didn't surprise me...The compensation did. His "Tweets" were just so uncharacteristic of a professional athlete. Almost to the extent where you could believe it wasn't him but an imposter. I could see it coming. Thanks for the memories...Hope you fall on your face!!!

NWNewell
04-12-2010, 12:07 PM

This is how.

Concur! Proud as ever to be a Steelers (franchise) fan. :tt2

It's not just win or lose, but how you play the game. And playing the game the right way will bring your the wins... as this franchise has demonstrated through the years with 6SB titles.

ikestops85
04-12-2010, 12:30 PM
I'm sorry but I don't get this "The Steelers are Sending a Message" thing. Holmes got just what he wanted ... shipped to a bigger market to show off his skills.

I don't have any problems with them trading Holmes but to only get a 5th is ludicrous in my opinion. There are teams drooling over getting a proven receiver ... TB, Oakland, Seattle, and KC come to mind and I'm sure we could have worked a deal for better than a 5th rounder. They could have tried for a 2nd and settled for a 3rd rounder.

I've also come to the conclusion that we are no more the "squeaky clean" team that we used to be under Art Rooney Sr. When we get rid of Wilson and excused Harrison it became hard for me to say we don't give preferential treatment to the better players.

I was never a huge Holmes fan. I thought he was too inconsistent but he had a ton of talent and the ego to match. But from a football standpoint I think we got screwed in the trade unless we get more than the 5th. :(

feltdizz
04-12-2010, 01:56 PM
I'm sorry but I don't get this "The Steelers are Sending a Message" thing. Holmes got just what he wanted ... shipped to a bigger market to show off his skills.

I don't have any problems with them trading Holmes but to only get a 5th is ludicrous in my opinion. There are teams drooling over getting a proven receiver ... TB, Oakland, Seattle, and KC come to mind and I'm sure we could have worked a deal for better than a 5th rounder. They could have tried for a 2nd and settled for a 3rd rounder.

I've also come to the conclusion that we are no more the "squeaky clean" team that we used to be under Art Rooney Sr. When we get rid of Wilson and excused Harrison it became hard for me to say we don't give preferential treatment to the better players.

I was never a huge Holmes fan. I thought he was too inconsistent but he had a ton of talent and the ego to match. But from a football standpoint I think we got screwed in the trade unless we get more than the 5th. :(

I agree... Holmes has a looong list of off field problems and went public with his demands for a big market team. What message does this send? Why is today a great day to be a Steeler fan? Because we got rid of a SB MVP who didn't care about our fake image of purity?

I have no problem with shipping a guy out like Holmes but I find it odd how this move proves how great our franchise is. I think the value was booty and we could have waited a few days or a week to get a little more. There better be more value coming or more scandal coming because as of now it looks like we were robbed.

Sweed better step up... and Wallace better step up too. There is a big difference without Holmes in terms of DB scheme.

Snatch98
04-12-2010, 01:57 PM
All I know now after my gut emotional reaction subsided is that we have 11 draft picks. We're now primed to trade up at least once, possibly twice and if some how some way Washington is involved I love the trade.