PDA

View Full Version : Is a Ben Trade Next?

BradshawsHairdresser
04-12-2010, 12:45 AM
I know the report on ESPN's site is that the authorities in Georgia aren't going to file charges. But what if that report is wrong? Will the Steelers go for a clean start and ship Ben's arrse out of town, too? Maybe for a 4th-rounder from the Raiders?

birtikidis
04-12-2010, 12:49 AM
I wouldn't be really surprised if they dealt ben. I think they'd ask for more than a 4th... maybe a 2nd... though, i feel he'd deserve to be a 1st round draft pick...
maybe Cowher sold teh steelers soul for one more chance at a sb...

Shawn
04-12-2010, 12:52 AM
You both are sippin' on grandpapi's cough syrup. :lol:

BradshawsHairdresser
04-12-2010, 12:54 AM

I dunno...this time yesterday, would you have dreamed Santonio would be shipped for a fifth-rounder?

birtikidis
04-12-2010, 12:55 AM
Shawn i'm not saying we will trade ben, i'm just saying that it wouldn't surprise me. that's all.
this has been the craziest offseason that i can remember, and that i may ever see.

Shawn
04-12-2010, 01:43 AM
I read this thread before I read about Holmes. I guess you guys might not be as off as I thought. :shock:

hawaiiansteel
04-12-2010, 01:49 AM
I read this thread before I read about Holmes. I guess you guys might not be as off as I thought. :shock:

King: Santonio trade is a "shot across the bow to Big Ben"

Posted by Mike Florio on April 11, 2010

The Twitter servers are being overloaded this evening as word spreads like wildfire of the trade that sent Super Bowl XLIII MVP Santonio Holmes to the New York Jets.

Ironically, the move comes only days after Ken Laird of ESPN 1250 in Pittsburgh reported that Holmes didn't believe the Steelers will pay him big money, and that Holmes wanted to play in a big market.

And so the former Buckeye is now paired with a former Wolverine, Braylon Edwards. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.) They'll both be catching passes from a former Trojan, while a former Horned Frog sits at the end of the bench and pouts.

Meanwhile, Peter King of SI.com and NBC put it best in characterizing the move: "A shot across the bow to Big Ben." King also points out that the Steelers could have played this out for something more than a fourth-round pick, but that the Steelers opted to get it done, displaying a "we're not gonna take it anymore attitude."

We're also wondering whether the Steelers pulled the trigger on the deal so quickly because they fear there's a chance that, come 2:00 p.m. E.T. on Monday, they'll get another dose of bad news from District Attorney Fred Bright, ESPN's report on the matter notwithstanding.

Either way, the stakes for Monday's press conference just went way, way up. If Roethlisberger gets charged, he could be the next one to be traded for a cold turkey sandwich with wilted lettuce.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... o-big-ben/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/11/king-santonio-trade-is-a-shot-across-the-bow-to-big-ben/)

anger 82&95
04-12-2010, 08:25 AM
His leash just got a he!! of a lot shorter…

SteelAbility
04-12-2010, 08:28 AM
How 'bout Ben, Heath and 2nd for a 7th? :Boobs

Shawn
04-12-2010, 08:30 AM

Sounds like Rooney reasoning.

Oviedo
04-12-2010, 08:34 AM

Beats letting the inmates run the asylum

Shawn
04-12-2010, 08:41 AM

I guess that's where we will disagree. I don't watch the Steelers because they are moral. I watch football. I could careless if they smoke crack and bang hookers as long as they win. I guess that's where you and I fundamentally disagree. I suppose guys like you place some sort of higher value on football than I do. I see brutes and barbarians playing a violent sport acting like violent men. That's what I enjoy watching. I don't need to go to the United Church of the Rooneys. Just win games.

steelblood
04-12-2010, 08:44 AM
I am beginning to think that maybe we traded Holmes so quickly so that we can begin to turn the page today when Ben is not charged. I'm not sure we sent much of a message by giving Holmes what he wants and sending him to a big market team that is a also a contender. Heck, he got what he wanted. If he gets on the field and plays well, he'll get his money. We should have traded him to the Rams! :lol:

ramblinjim
04-12-2010, 09:03 AM
I agree that we should have sent Holmes to the Rams or the Lions!

JAR
04-12-2010, 09:07 AM

I guess that's where we will disagree. I don't watch the Steelers because they are moral. I watch football. I could careless if they smoke crack and bang hookers as long as they win. I guess that's where you and I fundamentally disagree. I suppose guys like you place some sort of higher value on football than I do. I see brutes and barbarians playing a violent sport acting like violent men. That's what I enjoy watching. I don't need to go to the United Church of the Rooneys. Just win games.

:Clap :Clap It amazes me that people expect a team full of athletes to be saints. Hell, even priests and the pope aren't saints.

steelblood
04-12-2010, 09:07 AM
I really don't think this will happen. But, they could trade him even if he is not going to be charged. They could be waiting for the announcement because his trade value would be much higher if not charged. Again, I don't see this happening, but I do know that they are embarrassed that he put himself in this situation.

D Rock
04-12-2010, 09:09 AM
Ben would command much, much, much, much more than Holmes.

Holmes was signed for one more year and will want a monster contract that he isn't deserving of. Ben is already inked for a good bit longer, making him much easier to trade.

We all saw what Cutler got, even a legally challenged Roethlisberger would command that much.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-12-2010, 10:05 AM
It is wrong to compare the two situations - each one must be dealt with on their own merit.

Ben went to a club and hung out with college kids. He supposedly acted like an ass. He was accused of sexual assault. Assuming that he is not charged then his worst offense is allowing himself to be done wrong - again. Stupid and embarassing, but nothing harmful.

Santonio is supposedly facing a four gamer which means that he has been caught for a second time. One more time means a full season. Assuming that this twitter thing is really him then he is mouthing off like an ass. Again, like Ben, I will not hold simple allegations against him.

Ben is signed long term, Santonio is saying he will not return after this season.

I will not say that we received good value, but can't blame them for moving on from a potentially explosive situation.

frankthetank1
04-12-2010, 10:54 AM

wow really? bang hookers and smoke crack? the ocasional trouble with the law is pretty realistic for some players in this day and age but most winning teams dont deal with felons. what if the steelers stop winning, would you stop watching? you let the inmates run the asylum and we become the ravens or the bengals. maybe you are ok with that but i wouldnt be

pfelix73
04-12-2010, 10:58 AM
There's a BIG difference between the situations with each player. Can't compare.

:tt1

phillyesq
04-12-2010, 11:09 AM
I don't expect players to be saints. But I distinguish between players that I like and players that I tolerate because they are talented. Holmes is one that I tolerated because he was talented. After reading his asinine twitter diatribes (and if your read the rest of his page, you see what an idiot this guy really is), I'm glad that I no longer have to tolerate Holmes because of his talent.

Holmes was shipped out as a message to the team as much as anything else. The message would have been stronger if they shipped the fool to the Rams or Raiders, but the point was still made. Ben will get one more chance, at least. Unlike Holmes, he smartly clammed up after this incident, speaking only through his lawyer. He didn't invite fans to kill themselves.

Lebsteel
04-12-2010, 12:03 PM
It is wrong to compare the two situations - each one must be dealt with on their own merit.

Ben went to a club and hung out with college kids. He supposedly acted like an bad word. He was accused of sexual assault. Assuming that he is not charged then his worst offense is allowing himself to be done wrong - again. Stupid and embarassing, but nothing harmful.

Santonio is supposedly facing a four gamer which means that he has been caught for a second time. One more time means a full season. Assuming that this twitter thing is really him then he is mouthing off like an bad word. Again, like Ben, I will not hold simple allegations against him.

Ben is signed long term, Santonio is saying he will not return after this season.

I will not say that we received good value, but can't blame them for moving on from a potentially explosive situation.
:Clap :Clap Well said...

Shawn
04-12-2010, 12:52 PM

wow really? bang hookers and smoke crack? the ocasional trouble with the law is pretty realistic for some players in this day and age but most winning teams dont deal with felons. what if the steelers stop winning, would you stop watching? you let the inmates run the asylum and we become the ravens or the bengals. maybe you are ok with that but i wouldnt be

Yeah you read right...cracked out hooker bangers. I mean why do we care so much? Because the Steelers are "moral"? Geez.

ANPSTEEL
04-12-2010, 02:56 PM
I think Ben is a gonner now.

I only hope the team gets something for him.

NWNewell
04-12-2010, 03:03 PM

Spoken like a true winner! :Beer

ramblinjim
04-12-2010, 05:19 PM
Well for all we know, Big Ben is a big idiot and hasn't done anything wrong from the start.

This is what we know:

Ben put himself in a stupid situation with an under age girl. She was hammered (twice the legal limit) under age and showed no signs of sexual assault. We know that the DA asked for a DNA sample and then decided they didn't need one. Most will assume that that is because there was nothing to compare it to. Theoretically it could mean several other things.

We know that the lady out in Lake Tahoe is a bit kooky. There are email transcripts about being excited about sleeping with Ben, never a police report and she waited a year to start screaming about assault.

There just aren't a ton of facts that we are all privy to right now.

Is Big Ben a big idiot, yeah, he is. A 28 year old $100M man should not be hanging at a college bar with underage girls. He needs to do the Tony Romo thing and start dating celebrities. Or hookers for that matter, I'm sure Ben can afford at least the kinds of call girls that Elliot Spitzer frequented.

stlrz d
04-12-2010, 06:58 PM
I know the report on ESPN's site is that the authorities in Georgia aren't going to file charges. But what if that report is wrong? Will the Steelers go for a clean start and ship Ben's arrse out of town, too? Maybe for a 4th-rounder from the Raiders?

As much as you'd like to see it...no.

BradshawsHairdresser
04-13-2010, 04:02 PM

As much as you'd like to see it...no.

I don't know...after today's news of ANOTHER incident, it's looking more and more possible...

My guess is that you would be following Ben to whatever team he goes to. Good luck being a fan of the Raiders or Rams.

papillon
04-13-2010, 04:12 PM
Yeah you read right...cracked out hooker bangers. I mean why do we care so much? Because the Steelers are "moral"? Geez.

To a degree yes, I was born and raised in the Pittsburgh area and I don't like it when an athlete acts like jacka$$ and it reflects poorly on the city or team. So, yea, I guess I do care a lot about the area that I grew up in and the team that I watch.

It may not make sense, but I do.

Pappy