PDA

View Full Version : Santonio Holmes a Jet!

BigRob
04-11-2010, 11:28 PM
Per PFT and confirmed on Twitter by Peter King

Santonio Holmes has been traded to the Jets. No clue what the compensation

http://www.profootballtalk.com

Chadman
04-11-2010, 11:30 PM
Got to be kidding...

Steelers | Send Holmes to the Jets
Comment (0)
Sun, 11 Apr 2010 20:26:47 -0700

Bart Hubbuch, of the New York Post, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers have traded WR Santonio Holmes to the New York Jets for a fifth-round draft pick in the 2010 NFL Draft.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz0kqxExN9c

Surely for more than a 5th!

Jom112
04-11-2010, 11:31 PM
Only a 5th?? That's crazy...

Discipline of Steel
04-11-2010, 11:34 PM
That would make 11 draft picks trying to make an already-stocked roster. That is practically nothing. At least we know one of those picks wil be at wr.

Jom112
04-11-2010, 11:35 PM
That would make 11 draft picks trying to make an already-stocked roster. That is practically nothing. At least we know one of those picks wil be at wr.

Guessing you guys are really eying Dez Bryant now...

Chadman
04-11-2010, 11:37 PM
Surely there has to be more to the trade than just a 5th...surely.

SteelBucks
04-11-2010, 11:38 PM
If PFT is right, and that's a big if, it looks as though the Steelers have embraced the Pirates thinking when it comes to trades.....sell when the player's value is at it's lowest. Santonio is a bone head but they could have got more than a 5th round pick.

Maybe it's addition by subtraction?

birtikidis
04-11-2010, 11:39 PM
what a terrible trade!

Jom112
04-11-2010, 11:39 PM

NY Post is also reporting that it's only a 5th round pick: http://twitter.com/NYPost_Jets

BigRob
04-11-2010, 11:41 PM
peter king says 151st pick for holmes. We just gave him away.

Jom112
04-11-2010, 11:43 PM

It might be because he's in the last year of his contract and already suspended for 4 games (Allegedly). The 30% rule will make it tough for the Jets to sign him to a long term contract, so that might be why...

costanza2k1
04-11-2010, 11:44 PM
5th round pick is nothing, but on the other hand it sure sends a message. He was made an example of. Guess we really need Sweed to produce now.

SteelBucks

Yep, KDKA says it's only a 5th round pick. Guess they simply had enough.

Chadman
Is it more a 'statement' move then?

Have the Steelers just shown that they are not taking any more crap? A messege to the players & to the fans, perhaps?

Interesting that it comes out the night before Ben's case news...

Just a 5th though...damn...

birtikidis
04-11-2010, 11:46 PM
well, maybe they realize that Wallace has emerged as a playmaker and that stonedio was gonna want a ****ton of money for his new contract. ARE slides into the #3 battle and sweed fight it out for #4... hopefully we don't draft bryant though.. that would sooo bum me out!

Chadman
04-11-2010, 11:49 PM
What would 2 5th round picks and a 6th round pick get the Steelers in draft trade value?

hawaiiansteel
04-11-2010, 11:49 PM

no, it was pick #155 in the 5th round that they acquired from the Eagles.

pick #151 is the Steelers' non-compensatory 5th round pick we already owned.

steelerkeylargo
04-11-2010, 11:50 PM

We already own 151....it must be 155.

hawaiiansteel
04-11-2010, 11:55 PM

yes, Dez Bryant is starting to look better and better at #18! :D

birtikidis
04-11-2010, 11:57 PM

yes, Dez Bryant is starting to look better and better at #18! :D
I HOPE NOT!!!!

hawaiiansteel
04-12-2010, 12:06 AM
What would 2 5th round picks and a 6th round pick get the Steelers in draft trade value?

not much, combined they are only worth 76.6 points, enough to move up only one spot in Round 1 and seven spots in Round 2.

birtikidis
04-12-2010, 12:07 AM
Peter king via twitter, said that there was little negotiating and that it was a "shot across the bow" to ben...

BradshawsHairdresser
04-12-2010, 12:11 AM
We basically just gave the turrd to the Jets. Well, he wanted out, and he wanted to play in a bigger market--I guess the stonehead got what he wanted.

Good riddance.

Chadman
04-12-2010, 12:18 AM
Guess in the end, it's a gutsy move- trading away a failrly big piece of the offense for not much, simply to make a point to the other players that enough is, actually, quite enough.

Perhaps Santonio was on his last warning too, after a few previous incidents.

Looks like WR just landed on the draft radar, which makes Chadman wonder something else..

If the Steelers have been bringing in 1st & 2nd round graded prospects for over a week now, how long have they known Santonio was going to be shipped?

AND..if they had known for a while- is the timing at all interesting? On the eve of the Ben case announcement?

WoodleyofTroy
04-12-2010, 12:18 AM
We would have gotten a 3rd round compensation. I don't get it.

MaxAMillion
04-12-2010, 12:32 AM
We would have gotten a 3rd round compensation. I don't get it.

You won't get a third for a guy who supposedly is going to get suspended. Plus he is in the last year of his deal. The suspension drops down his value quite a bit.

I still would not have traded him. Let him play out his last year and then let him go. The Steelers better not assume that Randle El answers their WR problem.

SteelCrazy
04-12-2010, 12:43 AM
Good God...could we at least of traded him to Green Bay or Carolina instead of giving him exactly what he wanted and maybe a better deal????? Why not just give a 5th and not take one...

SS Laser
04-12-2010, 12:58 AM
WOW the Jets got Revis in the draft right before us an just stole Holmes. I still think we would have got a 3rd for him if he played out his contract and then took off? :wft

I guess many were right in the other thread that he did not have much value for a draft pick!

Shawn
04-12-2010, 12:59 AM
Considering they would have gotten a 3rd or 4th for him if they kept him an additional year and let him leave...I have to say this might be the biggest mistake in Steeler history. I think this was a save face move...meant to send a message more than anything else.

Expect us to package some serious picks and make a move for a top notch DB....Berry anyone?

birtikidis
04-12-2010, 01:00 AM
you're probably right. we probably would have gotten a better comp pick out of him if we kept him. but what if he hits that next strike and end up with a 1 year suspension?

SS Laser
04-12-2010, 01:13 AM
If the 1yr suspension were to happen, he could end up not playing till 2013 right? If they strike next yr and he got suspened for 2012? That would not work well with a big contract coming up.

Oh yea still a bad deal for a 5th only!

WoodleyofTroy
04-12-2010, 01:20 AM
WOW the Jets got Revis in the draft right before us an just stole Holmes. I still think we would have got a 3rd for him if he played out his contract and then took off? :wft

I guess many were right in the other thread that he did not have much value for a draft pick!

Wrong. He had a lot of value. Steelers are the ones that chose to not go after it.

spyboots
04-12-2010, 01:52 AM
1. Santonio had said he was getting traded on draft day, but they must've decided to do it early.

2. There must be more to this story than we know; more that the Steelers know.

3. Now he'll get more frequent tests, right? I don't think he can stay off the weed, so look for things to get worse (for him).

Chadman
04-12-2010, 02:03 AM
1. Santonio had said he was getting traded on draft day, but they must've decided to do it early.

2. There must be more to this story than we know; more that the Steelers know.

3. Now he'll get more frequent tests, right? I don't think he can stay off the weed, so look for things to get worse (for him).

Did you get that from here??- viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11208 (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11208)

:D

hawaiiansteel
04-12-2010, 02:11 AM
Santonio, thanks for the memories...i will always remember you for this catch.

http://community.post-gazette.com/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.PostAttachments/00.00.07.08.32/freed_5F00_holmescatch.jpg_2D00_500x400.jpg

SS Laser
04-12-2010, 02:13 AM
Ok sitting here thinking why not do this trade on draft day? Could the steelers got a better deal done on draft day?
Also maybe there is a "handshake" for another deal going on? Like if we want your pick in the second rd because our guy is there you help us out? Not giving up draft value for that pick. (2 round 2 picks?)

This trade for a 5th rd pick is killing me! :wft

Chadman
04-12-2010, 02:17 AM

http://community.post-gazette.com/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.PostAttachments/00.00.07.08.32/freed_5F00_holmescatch.jpg_2D00_500x400.jpg

Funny...the other day you told Chadman you'd alays remember Holmes for this...

http://images.dailyradar.com/media/uploads/showhype/story_large/2009/02/06/holmesshowernaked.jpg

SS Laser
04-12-2010, 02:20 AM
Ok I got another for you guys....The only way this could be worse is if it was the Browns 5th rd pick! LOL :HeadBanger

hawaiiansteel
04-12-2010, 02:31 AM

Funny...the other day you told Chadman you'd alays remember Holmes for this...

http://images.dailyradar.com/media/uploads/showhype/story_large/2009/02/06/holmesshowernaked.jpg

:lol: :lol:

fortunately for me, i still like your pic of Jen better! :Cheers

Chadman
04-12-2010, 02:33 AM
Ahh...but who doesn't?

:)

hawaiiansteel
04-12-2010, 03:54 AM
Monday, April 12, 2010

Shot heard round the world

It will be interesting to watch Santonio Holmes' Twitter account in the coming days.

The Steelers traded the former Super Bowl MVP wide receiver late Sunday night to the New York Jets for a fifth-round draft pick.

This comes on the heals of rumors that Holmes is facing a four-game suspension by the league for his second drug-related offense. That rumor still has yet to come bear any fruit.

Of course, Holmes also recently had a run-in with the law in Orlando, Fla., in which he was accused of throwing a glass in a woman's face. Holmes has denied the charge and recent findings in the case may clear him.

But it was his reaction on his Twitter page - why athletes tweet, I'll never know - to fan reaction that really incensed the Steelers.

He told fans that they don't pay his salary - a false assessment. He also told another fan he wished that he'd die and also made a comment about doing a "wake and bake," a reference to smoking marijuana.

In essence, the receiver forced his way out of Pittsburgh - where he was entering the final year of his contract.

The Steelers, of course, signed Antwaan Randle El and Arnaz Battle this offseason. They also have promising rookie speedster Mike Wallace to pair with Hines Ward. Throw in third-year veteran Limas Sweed and you have a solid, if unspectacular, group.

Shipping out Holmes also fires a shot across the bow of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. Roethlisberger, who awaits word today about whether he'll be charged for sexual assault in Georgia, had better shape up or he could be shipped out as well.

No player is bigger than the organization.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

steeler_george
04-12-2010, 04:27 AM
Ok sitting here thinking why not do this trade on draft day? Could the steelers got a better deal done on draft day?
Also maybe there is a "handshake" for another deal going on? Like if we want your pick in the second rd because our guy is there you help us out? Not giving up draft value for that pick. (2 round 2 picks?)

This trade for a 5th rd pick is killing me! :wft

There has to be a "hand shake" to guarantee another move on draft day!

the jets have before the trade 6 picks the gr

29. New York Jets -1st
61. New York Jets-2nd
124. New York Jets (from Arizona)-4th
155. New York Jets (from Philadelphia)-5th OURS NOW THE HOLMES DEAL
198. New York Jets- 6th
236. New York Jets-7th

With us having 11 selections, and the jets only having 5 could there be a "hand shake" for us to move up in the 2nd #61?

Lonbull
04-12-2010, 04:34 AM
Gentlemen -

Like many of you my jaw hit the ground when I saw that Holmes was now a Jet and to make matters more insulting for a 5th round pick.

However - with Randel El back, Mike Wallace clearly ready for the next step, Hines Ward (still Hines) and of course Sweed should now be ready for prime time this strikes me as a classic "Steelers" move.

They've sent a message to their fans, the team and the rest of the league - that they will not tolerate certain behavior (unless that player is either irreplaceable or just signed a brand new contract - see Ben Roethlisberger & Jimmy Hate).

In this case - last year of your contract and you've been warned before .....you're outta here!

While the move itself and the price that comes with it makes me ill - I trust the Steelers know what they're doing - they take conservative calculated gambles - but usually they guess correctly.

I honestly thought Holmes would be here for another contract and can't believe our former MVP will be with another team next year.

In Rooney we trust.

L.B.

kindlecatsb'ng
04-12-2010, 05:42 AM
Holy Smoke ! :shock:

Just heard on the columbus, OH news that Tonio is a jet?! Wow, the front office is sending a strong message out there. That news was like a jolt of expresso!

SanAntonioSteelerFan
04-12-2010, 06:30 AM
Seemed like low compensation at first glance here as well, but got to thinking - might not be so bad if Stonio never plays another down in the NFL, would it?

4-game suspension pending rumored ... frequent drug testing ... anyone really want to give odds he can he stay off the wacky weed?

I wonder how much shopping around the Steelers did. Maybe they tried to make the trade in the AFCN first, feeling he'd likely never play again!

phillyesq
04-12-2010, 07:01 AM
According to Peter King, the Steelers could have gotten "more than a fourth" if they waited to move Holmes. Apparently, they just wanted him out of town.

Personally, I wish they had traded him to the Rams, with the Lions as a second choice. I hope this guy is a miserable failure in NY. His catch in the SB was great, but aside from that he was generally a disappointment, and usually irritating.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
04-12-2010, 07:13 AM
I never understand how these people (Peter King, not you Phillyesq!) make these statements, as if they have a portal to the truth machine. Seems like unless they were speaking to the Rooney's or the F.O., there's no way Mr. King can be sure of that. And even if they did speak to him, how likely is it that they would admit to something like that?

That's why I'm not entirely at ease with the whole "Ben will be cleared at 2PM, says Adam Schefter who spoke to so-and-so at ESPN" thing. I hope that means the odds have swung in his favor, but part of me still wonders, "So, did they make nice with the legal secretary in the DA's office and grab a sneak peak at the "no indictment" document, or what?".

Shawn
04-12-2010, 07:28 AM
Gentlemen -

Like many of you my jaw hit the ground when I saw that Holmes was now a Jet and to make matters more insulting for a 5th round pick.

However - with Randel El back, Mike Wallace clearly ready for the next step, Hines Ward (still Hines) and of course Sweed should now be ready for prime time this strikes me as a classic "Steelers" move.

They've sent a message to their fans, the team and the rest of the league - that they will not tolerate certain behavior (unless that player is either irreplaceable or just signed a brand new contract - see Ben Roethlisberger & Jimmy Hate).

In this case - last year of your contract and you've been warned before .....you're outta here!

While the move itself and the price that comes with it makes me ill - I trust the Steelers know what they're doing - they take conservative calculated gambles - but usually they guess correctly.

I honestly thought Holmes would be here for another contract and can't believe our former MVP will be with another team next year.

In Rooney we trust.

L.B.

Ward is not still Ward. He might have a season or two left in the tank but he's been nursing two bad hammys all offseason. I will be shocked if he makes it through this season intact. Wallace might be ready for the next step but I'm curious to see if he is able to produce from the #2. Little different world. Randel El never was all that great but is now older, alot slower and I don't expect him to be highly productive. Battle? :lol:

Our WR situation could grow from poor to dire if Wallace or Ward goes down. I surely hope the Steelers FO knows what they are doing because right now it looks like they don't. That saintly Steeler image won't be lookin' so purty sitting with the Browns.

SteelBucks
04-12-2010, 07:33 AM
Gentlemen -

In Rooney we trust.

L.B.

Ward is not still Ward. He might have a season or two left in the tank but he's been nursing two bad hammys all offseason. I will be shocked if he makes it through this season intact. Wallace might be ready for the next step but I'm curious to see if he is able to produce from the #2. Little different world. Randel El never was all that great but is now older, alot slower and I don't expect him to be highly productive. Battle? :lol:

Our WR situation could grow from poor to dire if Wallace or Ward goes down. I surely hope the Steelers FO knows what they are doing because right now it looks like they don't. That saintly Steeler image won't be lookin' so purty sitting with the Browns.

Time to change your mock. :wink:

steelblood
04-12-2010, 07:38 AM
With a clean record, he was worth a second rounder.

With his current situation, he is still worth a 3rd or 4th. A fifth was simply a stupid move. We needed to shop him.

Oviedo
04-12-2010, 08:02 AM
Enough of the handwringing and second guessing. This move was directed from the only people who matter...the Rooney's. Colbert obviously got the message to "get rid of the bum...now!"

Could we have waited and got more, of course but this was a move of principle over practciality and I love it. It shows the uniform is much more important than the person in it.

Let's face it, no way Stupidio was resigning in Pittsburgh. No way he was going to stop being a pothead. While everyone is down on this move now, just wait until Holmes really goes "pacman" in the future. This guy is working himself right out od the league.

His performance on the field is no way worth keeping around if he didn't want to be here and he was committed to his same BS behaviour. He was going to be nothing but a distraction.

Golden Tate is now clearly in play for the Steelers

steelsnis
04-12-2010, 08:03 AM
This might make things more interesting...

Rumor also has it that the Jets will ship Leon Washington to the Steelers once he signs his tender - according to ProFootballTalk.
Washington was a guy I thought the Steelers should make a run at as a restricted free agent - even coming off the broken leg.
If that happens, this turns into a solid football deal. As it stands on its own, it's a dump of a player they didn't want around any more.

That's from Dale Lolley in the comments section of his blog.

SteelBucks
04-12-2010, 08:08 AM
A collection of tweets in response to Sunday night's trade that sent receiver Santonio Holmes to the New York Jets for a fifth-round pick ...

Donte Whitner, Buffalo Bills safety:

"Santonio Holmes traded to the JETS. Wow."

Darius Butler, New England Patriots cornerback:

"Wowwww a 5th round pick! I know this supposef to be a deep draft but damn Pitt."
"Im not concerned abt him bein n the division. Every team we play has gd players its the NFL. Im just shocked at what he went for."

Marcellus Wiley, ESPN analyst:

"The Jets are starting to look like an All-Madden Team....especially if they get Jason Taylor and T.O.!!!"

Darrelle Revis, Jets cornerback:

"Wow we got holmes this is crazy. We makin big moves this off-season. Putting the pieces together to get closer to that superbowl ring."

Chad Ochocinco, Cincinnati Bengals receiver:

"Mr. Goodell the NY Jets are unfairly loading their team up with great players like the Yankees do, we need to stop this now!"

Bob Glauber, Newsday columnist:

"If Santonio Holmes puts it together with the Jets, the trade will go down as one of the biggest steals ever. 5th rounder? Sheesh."

David Clowney, Jets receiver:

"Lord what am I doing wrong"
"I know this is a test,.. But God never puts you thru anything you can't handle. I trust you Lord"

SteelAbility
04-12-2010, 08:12 AM
Don't we have something like 8 picks this year (now 9 with Santonio)? I'm thinking the idea here is two-fold:

1. Get rid of a problem
2. Create more options for trading up at a strategic point in the draft

I certainly would have liked to see better than a 5th though. :roll: Geesh, we got him at #25 and he's improved every year.

steelblood
04-12-2010, 08:15 AM
Enough of the handwringing and second guessing. This move was directed from the only people who matter...the Rooney's. Colbert obviously got the message to "get rid of the bum...now!"

Could we have waited and got more, of course but this was a move of principle over practciality and I love it. It shows the uniform is much more important than the person in it.

Let's face it, no way Stupidio was resigning in Pittsburgh. No way he was going to stop being a pothead. While everyone is down on this move now, just wait until Holmes really goes "pacman" in the future. This guy is working himself right out od the league.

His performance on the field is no way worth keeping around if he didn't want to be here and he was committed to his same BS behaviour. He was going to be nothing but a distraction.

I'll second guess it all I like, thank you.

It just kills me the way some people on this board want to tell anyone with an opinion other than theirs (or one that question's the Steelers) to shut up. We can have a conversation about this if we want to.

Ovie, you went on and on and on with the Saint LeBeau stuff all off season. You have no place to tell people to stop whining now. It hasn't even been a day.

This is a big deal. It is an emotional time. It should be discussed and analyzed. This is what we do on message boards. I actually agree with Oviedo that this sends an important and clear message and was a statement from the Rooneys. Still, I wonder if we could have shopped him for another day or so and got a better deal that would have helped the football team in the process. I don't think waiting another day or so, would have lessened the impact of trading Holmes. Or, was it important to trade him before today's press conference?

flippy
04-12-2010, 08:20 AM
Definitely sends a message. The Steelers taking a 5th says a lot. They could have just released him, but trading him for a 5th says a lot about what the team thinks of him.

Good riddance.

It's time for Wallace and Sweed to step up.

Shawn
04-12-2010, 08:21 AM

This is only deserving of a.... :roll:

Shawn
04-12-2010, 08:22 AM

I'll second guess it all I like, thank you.

It just kills me the way some people on this board want to tell anyone with an opinion other than theirs (or one that question's the Steelers) to shut up. We can have a conversation about this if we want to.

Ovie, you went on and on and on with the Saint LeBeau stuff all off season. You have no place to tell people to stop whining now. It hasn't even been a day.

This is a big deal. It is an emotional time. It should be discussed and analyzed. This is what we do on message boards. I actually agree with Oviedo that this sends an important and clear message and was a statement from the Rooneys. Still, I wonder if we could have shopped him for another day or so and got a better deal that would have helped the football team in the process. I don't think waiting another day or so, would have lessened the impact of trading Holmes. Or, was it important to trade him before today's press conference?

:Clap

MeetJoeGreene
04-12-2010, 08:24 AM
I don't mind getting rid of him. I was, however, expecting a higher pick, or multiple picks, or a future higher pick.

Unless the Leon Washington rumour is true, we got nothing for him.

If we wanted to just send a message, we should have sent him to somewhere he hated - like Green Bay.

pfelix73
04-12-2010, 08:27 AM
Well, Sweed now has a 2nd chance to make it here in Pittsburgh now. And yes, the draft may have just changed a bit.

I'm shocked to say the least..
:tt1

SteelBucks
04-12-2010, 08:28 AM
I don't mind getting rid of him. I was, however, expecting a higher pick, or multiple picks, or a future higher pick.

If we wanted to just send a message, we should have sent him to somewhere he hated - like Green Bay.

I agree. Detroit would have been another good location.....

steelblood
04-12-2010, 08:31 AM

Ha. Maybe we could have sent him somewhere with a terrible QB, terrible weather, and no chance of winning. Oh crap, I hope Ben doesn't get charged today or that could be us! :D

calmkiller
04-12-2010, 08:38 AM
Well this answers a lot of questions.

1 Why did we sign two WR in the offseason

2 Why have we brought in 6-7 WR for pre draft interviews.

3 Why did Randle El say he was here to play the 3rd receiver spot.

4 Why are they still saying Sweed has a chance to make the team.

All now answered. A 5th seems low to me, but its better than getting nothing for him. I will take it.

SteelAbility
04-12-2010, 08:51 AM
On the upside, the Patriots will now have to deal with Holmes twice a year assuming he can get on the field. :lol: And, at least we didn't trade him inside the division. I think a nuclear explosion would have been set off if that happened.

BURGH86STEEL
04-12-2010, 08:55 AM
Maybe this will wake Holmes up or maybe it won't. Maybe the best offer they could get for Holmes was a 5th round pick? It is possible they were trying to shop him for weeks. A lot of teams appear to be wising up in terms of trading draft picks for players. Holmes is a good WR but I don't believe he is an elite WR. Some Steelers fans might be over valuing Holmes. Especially, with his off the field issues. In any event, what's done is done.

I don't think this move changes the Steelers draft strategy much. They will take a WR. They have every year since 2005. I don't believe they will take a WR any earlier without Holmes on the roster. As always, a lot depends on what players other teams draft.

steelblood
04-12-2010, 09:23 AM
Maybe this will wake Holmes up or maybe it won't. Maybe the best offer they could get for Holmes was a 5th round pick? It is possible they were trying to shop him for weeks. A lot of teams appear to be wising up in terms of trading draft picks for players. Holmes is a good WR but I don't believe he is an elite WR. Some Steelers fans might be over valuing Holmes. Especially, with his off the field issues. In any event, what's done is done.

I don't think this move changes the Steelers draft strategy much. They will take a WR. They have every year since 2005. I don't believe they will take a WR any earlier without Holmes on the roster. As always, a lot depends on what players other teams draft.

They may not take a receiver early. But, they brought in Tate, Bryant, and Benn for a reason. They will consider a WR if the value is there.

BURGH86STEEL
04-12-2010, 09:35 AM

They may not take a receiver early. But, they brought in Tate, Bryant, and Benn for a reason. They will consider a WR if the value is there.

I agree.

papillon
04-12-2010, 09:52 AM
Holmes may have been a knucklehead, but I miss his play making ability already. I have to assume that the Steelers already know that the news out of Georgia is positive for Ben and the Steelers. How shocked would everyone be if Ben gets charged today at 2:00?

Pappy

NWNewell
04-12-2010, 09:55 AM
love, Love, LOVE the move!!

Holmes has always been a bit of a problem and has had multiple drug offenses, of which already cost him a one game suspension last year.

He's a great WR, but we've got solid depth at this point. While Wallace may not have all the exact same attributes of Holmes, overall I think he will fill his role nicely, with better character and, what appears to me, actually better hands (or at least focus on every play). We've got ARE to fill the 3 spot and have some people who can battle for 4th.

We were in a great situation to send a message to the team and the league, without sacrificing much capability on the field this year. This move coupled with a 1-game suspension of Ben by the Rooney's (something I would love to see!!) would send a loud and clear message to Ben, Skippy, and the rest of the Team (and League) that the Steelers organization will not tolerate this kind of juvenile irresponsible behavior.

But make no mistake about it... this was not just a "message". This was most certainly calculated. With the emergence of Wallace, they likely would not have resigned Holmes for the money he probably would have demanded. And with the 4-game suspension he might be receiving, it's really only 3/4 of a season we are loosing him for. That's probably why they started to bring in ARE and some other receivers... preparing for his potential departure next year. So it was "the right time and situation" to send this message.

frankthetank1
04-12-2010, 10:20 AM
why trade him to the jets? they are going to be a great team next season. they already have a great defense. now they have holmes and edwards at wr. i wish they could of delt holmes to an nfc team and gotten more than a 5th round pick. it seems like this move was not well thought out.

NW Steeler
04-12-2010, 10:40 AM
Someone on this board knew about Santokio's pending suspension quite a while back. Kudos to whoever you are.

papillon
04-12-2010, 10:41 AM
A few mocks have the Seahawks taking Bryant with their first pick (1.14 I think). I wonder if the Steelers shopped him to the Seahawks at all? They may have been more likely to give up a 2nd, 3rd or 4th for an NFL ready wide receiver and he would have been in the NFC.

Pappy

Oviedo
04-12-2010, 10:45 AM
A few mocks have the Seahawks taking Bryant with their first pick (1.14 I think). I wonder if the Steelers shopped him to the Seahawks at all? They may have been more likely to give up a 2nd, 3rd or 4th for an NFL ready wide receiver and he would have been in the NFC.

Pappy

There is a posibility with a potential drug suspension and expiring contract the rest of the NFL does not view Holmes as many on this board appear to. Many are quick to assume we "got taken" but Holmes isn't exactly a low risk option for anyone.

Does anyone really think he has learned his lesson and will stay off the weed? IMO not a chance in the world. It's not a matter of if, it is matter when he gets popped for his next drug test.

frankthetank1
04-12-2010, 10:49 AM

Pappy

There is a posibility with a potential drug suspension and expiring contract the rest of the NFL does not view Holmes as many on this board appear to. Many are quick to assume we "got taken" but Holmes isn't exactly a low risk option for anyone.

Does anyone really think he has learned his lesson and will stay off the weed? IMO not a chance in the world. It's not a matter of if, it is matter when he gets popped for his next drug test.

thats a good point. holmes is a big risk and the jets could end up having holmes for 12 games or so and then he signs some where else. or he could get arressted or violate the drug policy. im sure that is why we couldnt get anything better than what we got. washington would have made sense though. his future is pretty uncertain with the jets. it would of made sense although washington isnt as big of a risk as holmes is

calmkiller
04-12-2010, 11:14 AM
Got to be kidding...

Steelers | Send Holmes to the Jets
Comment (0)
Sun, 11 Apr 2010 20:26:47 -0700

Bart Hubbuch, of the New York Post, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers have traded WR Santonio Holmes to the New York Jets for a fifth-round draft pick in the 2010 NFL Draft.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz0kqxExN9c

Surely for more than a 5th!

Hold the phone. The Jets don't have a 5th rounder this year. They traded it to the Browns. I would assume in the Edwards trade. So this can't be right. They don't have a 5th rounder to give to us.

NY Jets 2010 Picks
ROUND PK(OVR) NOTES
1 29 (29)
2 29 (61)
4 26 (124) from Arizona
6 29 (198)
7 29 (236)

29(160) Cleveland Browns from NY Jets

birtikidis
04-12-2010, 11:23 AM
CK, I think you''re getting your info from a site that has already been updated to reflect the trade. I'm looking at other sites that haven't been updated yet and they all show the jets with a 5th round pick (they got it from Philly)...

steelerkeylargo
04-12-2010, 11:23 AM
yeah they have pick 155

steelerkeylargo
04-12-2010, 11:25 AM
Well this answers a lot of questions.

1 Why did we sign two WR in the offseason

2 Why have we brought in 6-7 WR for pre draft interviews.

3 Why did Randle El say he was here to play the 3rd receiver spot.

4 Why are they still saying Sweed has a chance to make the team.

All now answered. A 5th seems low to me, but its better than getting nothing for him. I will take it.

Trade 5 & 6 fora 2? I wanna live in that world!!!!

birtikidis
04-12-2010, 11:26 AM
according to PFT, we "called everyone" regarding tonio... I think they just got exasperated by his crap and decided to get ride of him.

calmkiller
04-12-2010, 11:27 AM
CK, I think you''re getting your info from a site that has already been updated to reflect the trade. I'm looking at other sites that haven't been updated yet and they all show the jets with a 5th round pick (they got it from Philly)...

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/ro ... fround%3d5 (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/rounds?round=5&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2fdraft%2frounds%3fround%3d5)

24(155) St. Louis Rams from Philadelphia ?

calmkiller
04-12-2010, 11:33 AM
it would appear that ESPN draft order is completely screwed. http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/tracker#d ... -input:nyj (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-team/dt-by-team-input:nyj)

shows that the Jets do have a 5th. Thanks guys

SteelAbility
04-12-2010, 11:35 AM
why trade him to the jets? they are going to be a great team next season. they already have a great defense. now they have holmes and edwards at wr. i wish they could of delt holmes to an nfc team and gotten more than a 5th round pick. it seems like this move was not well thought out.

:Agree Getting rid of Holmes was a good game plan. It was the execution of that game plan where I think they fell short. Yes, Holmes was a problem, but he was good enough, IMO, that exactly what you said could have played out with a little bit more patience. Especially given some of the idiot FOs in the NFC (STL and DET being two that come to mind immediately).

NorCal-Steeler
04-12-2010, 11:47 AM
I realize we're in a uncapped year but how much money was he due this year?? Maybe they have another free agent they want to sign before the draft...

birtikidis
04-12-2010, 11:53 AM
I don't thnk they'll sign a vet before teh draft (though, wouldn't coles be a good fit..?) I think the hope is that teams now think we need a reciever, so they may take bryant before our pick in the first.. allowing the guy we want to fall.. i know it's a stretch, but what if a team goes after bryant and Thomas falls because of it?

NorCal-Steeler
04-12-2010, 11:55 AM
what about a guy like Sharper for our secondary...

feltdizz
04-12-2010, 11:56 AM
Terrible move unless we get Washington... The Jets getting Holmes for 12 games for a 5th is incredible.

As far as sending a message to the other players? That is a bunch of bull... Santonio has 2 drug infractions and twatted his way out of Pittsburgh and if he rebounds he will get a huge/decent contract. The only message I see is this: if you are a talent you are tolerated... But if you are a talent at a position with depth and another talented player on our team who doesn't have an immediate replacement who is just as good also gets in trouble.... you will be cut

Holmes better be careful though... the last WR to leave us for the NYC is out of the league.

papillon
04-12-2010, 12:20 PM
Brandon Marshall isn't happy in Denver. What would it take to put him in Black and Gold? If he's been signed, traded or given an extension, please ignore this post.

Pappy

SteelBucks
04-12-2010, 12:26 PM

I'm surprised he's still available.

ikestops85
04-12-2010, 12:35 PM

I'm surprised he's still available.

I hear he is waiting to re-sign with New Orleans if they don't fill the position in the draft.

Sugar
04-12-2010, 12:55 PM
Like many here, I'm a bit stunned by all this. I had meetings all morning and now I find this out. Wow.

I keep telling myself to trust the FO since they know the situation, but I'm finding it hard to believe that getting a 5th round draft pick is a good deal. This guy is a SB MVP and was a major key in our last playoff run. He was a 1200 yard receiver last year as well- he's not a one trick pony.

Hines has been struggling w/ injuries and Wallace looked good as a 3rd but will he be able to handle being a 2nd? ARE and Battle are no answers. At their best, they are only suitable to be a 3rd- let alone now that they are older. Of course, I HATE the idea of drafting a receiver in a high round. They always take a long time to develop and this team is (was?) a DB away from a SB, IMO (barring injuries, of course).

NWNewell
04-12-2010, 01:13 PM
I keep telling myself to trust the FO since they know the situation, but I'm finding it hard to believe that getting a 5th round draft pick is a good deal. This guy is a SB MVP and was a major key in our last playoff run. He was a 1200 yard receiver last year as well- he's not a one trick pony.

Care to take a guess what Randy Moss's trade brought in??

WR's with baggage don't get a lot of value... Plus his contract is up in a year and he'll only be available for 12 games.

SteelAbility
04-12-2010, 01:16 PM

WR's with baggage don't get a lot of value... Plus his contract is up in a year and he'll only be available for 12 games.

Care to guess what idiot organization that was that traded Moss? ;) Sorry, couldn't resist. I'm actually not totally down on this trade. But I do think we could have done better with a bit of patience and "marketing technique."

NWNewell
04-12-2010, 01:23 PM

Care to guess what idiot organization that was that traded Moss? ;) Sorry, couldn't resist. I'm actually not totally down on this trade. But I do think we could have done better with a bit of patience and "marketing technique."

lol... touche! :Bow

I think this was a marketing technique... just a different one than you were looking for. This one was an image marketing technique in the face of all this bad publicity. I think the timing to send the proverbial "message" was more important to them. Notice the timing coincides nicely with the news of Holmes 4-game suspension and Ben's press conference.

Snatch98
04-12-2010, 01:23 PM
a 5th! a 5TH! I haven't read anything beyond the first page. I cannot believe we unloaded him for only a 5th! round draft pick.

steelernation77
04-12-2010, 01:28 PM
a 5th! a 5TH! I haven't read anything beyond the first page. I cannot believe we unloaded him for only a 5th! round draft pick.

Maybe you should go back and try reading then.

Here's my take on it from some other sites:

"This isn't just about the tweets. The guy failed another drug test and has an assault charge pending. He has a history of incidents and is a bad teammate. He's on the last year of his contract.

Edit: AND about the tweets. The guy was tweeting about waking and baking! He already faces a four game suspension because of drugs, and he's saying crap like that If he drops dirty again, he'll be gone for a year."

"The Steelers weren't going to have him after this year. He's a bad character guy and supposedly not well liked by a lot of players in the locker room. I can understand just cutting ties and trying to move on. We have Mike Wallace and Hines, we signed Randle El and Battle as veteran depth, Sweed is still in play and we can draft someone. It's better that the team starts its post-Holmes era now than waiting around for another year, feigning ignorance of the inevitable."

"Holmes is going to be suspended for four games next season because of another drug violation. He also has this incident with the girl in the bar pending.

He was reportedly not a good teammate, to the point that one reputable Pittsburgh sportswriter is reporting there is probably cheering in the locker room today from some players.

Holmes supposedly had made it clear that he was not going to resign with the team after the season. So the Steelers, instead of keeping the guy around for a shortened season, tried to get whatever they could for him.

It sucks because he's a good player, but I guess sometimes the circumstances are just so extreme that this kind of thing happens. Still wish we could've gotten more though"

"Teams were probably skittish because of his looming suspension, the incident in the club and the possibility that he could sign with another team at the end of the season."

Snatch98
04-12-2010, 01:32 PM

Maybe you should go back and try reading then.

Here's my take on it from some other sites:

"This isn't just about the tweets. The guy failed another drug test and has an assault charge pending. He has a history of incidents and is a bad teammate. He's on the last year of his contract.

Edit: AND about the tweets. The guy was tweeting about waking and baking! He already faces a four game suspension because of drugs, and he's saying crap like that If he drops dirty again, he'll be gone for a year."

"The Steelers weren't going to have him after this year. He's a bad character guy and supposedly not well liked by a lot of players in the locker room. I can understand just cutting ties and trying to move on. We have Mike Wallace and Hines, we signed Randle El and Battle as veteran depth, Sweed is still in play and we can draft someone. It's better that the team starts its post-Holmes era now than waiting around for another year, feigning ignorance of the inevitable."

"Holmes is going to be suspended for four games next season because of another drug violation. He also has this incident with the girl in the bar pending.

He was reportedly not a good teammate, to the point that one reputable Pittsburgh sportswriter is reporting there is probably cheering in the locker room today from some players.

Holmes supposedly had made it clear that he was not going to resign with the team after the season. So the Steelers, instead of keeping the guy around for a shortened season, tried to get whatever they could for him.

It sucks because he's a good player, but I guess sometimes the circumstances are just so extreme that this kind of thing happens. Still wish we could've gotten more though"

"Teams were probably skittish because of his looming suspension, the incident in the club and the possibility that he could sign with another team at the end of the season."

Yea I plan too, gut reaction. Although this is 100% a statement and I don't mind it at all. I'm going to assume they're packaging picks for a trade up and he as you said made it very clear recently he wanted out.

steelblood
04-12-2010, 01:38 PM
We don't really have picks to package, unless you are talking about moving up in the 3rd or 4th round. All of these 5th round picks aren't worth much when trying to move up early. I don't want to trade our 3rd or 4th rounders. This draft is too deep to lose those picks.

steelernation77
04-12-2010, 01:39 PM
Bouchette's take from his PG+ blog:

"Good morning, good riddance.

Instead of cutting Santonio Holmes, the Steelers managed to get a fifth-round draft choice for him. Do not rue his departure because I would bet there are players already cheering in the locker room. He was not a good teammate, either."

Thought this was interesting as well:
"So far, the Steelers have had 30 players in for visits – seven wide receivers, six offensive linemen, five linebackers, four defensive lineman, three cornerbacks, three safeties, one running back and one tight end."
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... um=twitter (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/List-of-pre-draft-player-visits---4-12/573a6101-67ec-4fe8-815c-4936378b3c55?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

We've had more WRs than any other position. This Santonio thing has been looming for awhile it seems.

calmkiller
04-12-2010, 01:56 PM
Bouchette's take from his PG+ blog:

"Good morning, good riddance.

Instead of cutting Santonio Holmes, the Steelers managed to get a fifth-round draft choice for him. Do not rue his departure because I would bet there are players already cheering in the locker room. He was not a good teammate, either."

Thought this was interesting as well:
"So far, the Steelers have had 30 players in for visits – seven wide receivers, six offensive linemen, five linebackers, four defensive lineman, three cornerbacks, three safeties, one running back and one tight end."
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... um=twitter (http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/List-of-pre-draft-player-visits---4-12/573a6101-67ec-4fe8-815c-4936378b3c55?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

We've had more WRs than any other position. This Santonio thing has been looming for awhile it seems.

I believe we are sitting at 29....not 30. Let me check into this though.

Edit I stand corrected. We are done with the visits. Unless they are local.

NJ-STEELER
04-12-2010, 02:05 PM
would have been better off just releasing him.

the jets were hampered with the rule about the top 4 teams in free agency.

now we strenghtened a top 4 team that we'll have to play this season and may be fighting for a playoff spot

what an idiotic move

Sugar
04-12-2010, 02:12 PM
would have been better off just releasing him.

the jets were hampered with the rule about the top 4 teams in free agency.

now we strenghtened a top 4 team that we'll have to play this season and may be fighting for a playoff spot

what an idiotic move

:Agree

We just gave the Jets their new #1 receiver. On top of that, I can't see anyone taking solace in the fact that ARE, Battle, Wallace or some draft pick will replace Santonio Holmes' on field production. IMO, he's worth more to us in 12 games than the rest are for 16.

NJ-STEELER
04-12-2010, 02:20 PM
we're gonna be screwed if wallace gets dinged up and sweed still has his head up his azz