PDA

View Full Version : Holmes to be suspended for 4 games

ANPSTEEL
04-10-2010, 12:57 PM
Per PFT- fwiw

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ?related=1 (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/10/sources-santonio-holmes-facing-four-game-suspension/?related=1)

Late Friday afternoon brought good news for the Pittsburgh Steelers, with the report from ESPN that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger won't be charged with sexual assault in Milledgeville, Georgia.

Now for the bad news.

Multiple sources have advised us that receiver Santonio Holmes is facing a four-game suspension under the league's substance-abuse policy. It's presently unknown whether Holmes tested positive for a prohibited substance or committed some other violation of the policy, such as missing a required test. It's our current understanding that the internal NFL appeals process has not been finalized.

Under the substance-abuse policy, a four-game suspension comes after multiple violations. The fact that Holmes, the MVP of Super Bowl XLIII, is facing a four-game suspension means that Holmes previously has paid a fine in the amount of three seventeenths of his base salary (i.e., three game checks).

Though we're not aware of the specific identity of the substance involved, Holmes has a history with marijuana. In 2008, he was cited for marijuana possession, prompting the Steelers to suspend him for one game with pay. Recently, he posted on Twitter a message indicating an intention to "wake n bake," slang for smoking marijuana upon getting out of bed.

Holmes also has recently been accused of throwing a drink in the face of a woman at an Orlando nightclub. The alleged victim has both sued Holmes and pursued criminal liability, after indicating on the scene that she did not want to press charges. His lawyer has denied the accusations, recently claiming that a witness has signed a sworn statement taking responsibility for throwing the drink. The suspension Holmes faces arose independently of this alleged incident.

If this is accurate- combined with the expected dismissal of any criminal charges in FL- prior to the draft. I think this about puts the nail in the coffin for W&B as a Steeler.

steelblood
04-10-2010, 01:06 PM
I'd wait until his current legal entanglement ends. Then begin trade talks (hopefully before the draft).

SteelHead
04-10-2010, 01:08 PM
If true , and Tone is guilty of a 2nd ganja charge , combined with the flying drink incident....I say we trade him , hope to still get a second and draft Demaryius Thomas.

It's not like we'll be able to sign the guy when his contract is up. I don't care what anyone says , A young guy with his talent is gonna command big money on the open market.

Buh Bye Tone :loser

Thanks for the '08 playoffs ! :Cheers

phillyesq
04-10-2010, 01:12 PM
Thanks for a terrible rookie year, an amazing playing run in 2008, and a lot in between. Don't let the door hit your incredibly dumb *ss on the way out.

WoodleyofTroy
04-10-2010, 01:14 PM
How did I guess this would be from PFT, before I opened it?

Lebsteel
04-10-2010, 01:52 PM
Yea, who knows with PFT, BUT, as we have all said before, for the Steelers to sign TWO FA wide receivers, something has got to be up. The FO has plans for Holmes and they are not plans for him to stay in the 'Burgh.

birtikidis
04-10-2010, 01:53 PM
Adam Schefter also tweeted this about 3 hours ago....

ANPSTEEL
04-10-2010, 01:56 PM

yeah- I meant to type PFT - but somehow it came out PFW.

oh well. fixed it.

Shawn
04-10-2010, 02:24 PM
I guess SN1's source was on the money.

frankthetank1
04-10-2010, 02:46 PM
if this is true then he is done as a steeler. enough is enough. holmes is a very good wr but not good enough to put up with this crap. he isnt an elite wr. no way the fins give up their first round pick for holmes now. if he is suspended for 4 games i just hope we can get a 2nd round pick for him

WoodleyofTroy
04-10-2010, 02:51 PM
if this is true then he is done as a steeler. enough is enough. holmes is a very good wr but not good enough to put up with this crap. he isnt an elite wr. no way the fins give up their first round pick for holmes now. if he is suspended for 4 games i just hope we can get a 2nd round pick for him

Actually this may increase his value if anything, or just keep it the same. If the Steelers had him on the trading block before this, teams would be asking why, there must be something wrong. Now they can use the whole 4 game suspension thing as a means, where teams can deal with that speed bump, thinking they got a bargain in the long run.

costanza2k1
04-10-2010, 02:54 PM
Thank God we found a gem in Mike Wallace...come on now Sweed, I'm still pulling for you. Who doesn't like the underdog?

frankthetank1
04-10-2010, 02:56 PM

Actually this may increase his value if anything, or just keep it the same. If the Steelers had him on the trading block before this, teams would be asking why, there must be something wrong. Now they can use the whole 4 game suspension thing as a means, where teams can deal with that speed bump, thinking they got a bargain in the long run.

really? i didnt take it that way at all. i just thought it would lower his value since he wont be playing until week 5. he has had his off the field issues which every team knows about, but if he failed a drug test it would be strike 2 in the ganja dept which i would think other teams wouldnt want to deal with. i hope your right though. would a team really want to pay holmes big money next season especially with his issues?

hawaiiansteel
04-10-2010, 03:03 PM

really? i didnt take it that way at all. i just thought it would lower his value since he wont be playing until week 5. he has had his off the field issues which every team knows about, but if he failed a drug test it would be strike 2 in the ganja dept which i would think other teams wouldnt want to deal with. i hope your right though. would a team really want to pay holmes big money next season especially with his issues?

:Agree

this 2nd failed drug test (if true) would dramatically lower Stoned-tonio's trade value. remember that one more failed test after that would most likely lead to a year-long suspension, which team would want to assume that risk?

Steelgal
04-10-2010, 03:06 PM
Never fails....as soon as I buy a player jersey something like this is bound to happen. So out of my 3 jerseys, Ben, Tone, and Willie, only Ben might be with the team this year and we always lose when I wear his........

Hopefully they sign Woodley long term, so his will be the next one I buy.

DukieBoy
04-10-2010, 03:32 PM
Never fails....as soon as I buy a player jersey something like this is bound to happen. So out of my 3 jerseys, Ben, Tone, and Willie, only Ben might be with the team this year and we always lose when I wear his........

Troy's jersey will be timeless. That's one to have.

steeler_george
04-10-2010, 03:45 PM

Hey Steelgal....stop buying current players jerseys, go for a new classic such as Lambert, Bradshaw, The Bus's, Llyod , etc...

Ps Quite wearing Bens of game day!

frankthetank1
04-10-2010, 05:44 PM

i know how you feel. i bought a holmes throwback jersey a couple of years when i was in the burgh and i love the throwbacks. i guess i have to get a #7 throwback now. i got my woodley jersey when he was a rookie because he is from michigan and i have watched him since college. he will be re-signed though. no way the steelers dont pay him what ever he wants.

costanza2k1
04-10-2010, 06:02 PM

I agree...him and his jersey will be legendary.

Steelgal
04-10-2010, 06:16 PM

We bought our DD9 a Troy jersey for christmas this past year.

I really want a Woodley jersey though. If I don't get that, I'll get an older player's jersey. Either Rod Woodson or MJG probably.

ghettoscott
04-10-2010, 07:01 PM
I really want a Woodley jersey though. If I don't get that, I'll get an older player's jersey. Either Rod Woodson or MJG probably.

just bought a throwback Woodson a few weeks ago...cant go wrong. I have two Ben jersey's that got the bad juju....my white 05 Super Bowl and a home jersey my Ma gave me for Christmas...she is a cowboy fan so i am guessing thats where the bad juju is coming from.

:?

DukieBoy
04-10-2010, 07:17 PM

We bought our DD9 a Troy jersey for christmas this past year.

Ham, Lambert, Blount, or Shell jerseys would be great to have, too.

BradshawsHairdresser
04-10-2010, 08:22 PM
Santurdio to the Redskins for their second-round pick. They need another weapon for McNabb.

BURGH86STEEL
04-10-2010, 08:28 PM
Santurdio to the Redskins for their second-round pick. They need another weapon for McNabb.

They gave up their 2nd round pick for Mcnabb.

BradshawsHairdresser
04-10-2010, 08:31 PM

They gave up their 2nd round pick for Mcnabb.

Why must you ruin my fantasy by bringing up facts?

OK--we'll just have to get their FIRST-rounder. :lol: :lol:

NorthCoast
04-11-2010, 07:34 PM

:Agree

this 2nd failed drug test (if true) would dramatically lower Stoned-tonio's trade value. remember that one more failed test after that would most likely lead to a year-long suspension, which team would want to assume that risk?

there are plenty of stupidly managed teams in the NFL. someone will take a chance regardless of the baggage.....raiders come to mind.....

Steel Life
04-11-2010, 08:24 PM
Trade him during the draft...I read recently that John Clayton of ESPN said that the price of a No. 1 wide receiver is considered to be a 1st & 3rd-round pick. For comparison, Jerry Jones gave the Detroit Lions a No. 1, a No. 3 and a No. 6 for Roy Williams & was given back a No. 7 to balance the trade. You could easily make the argument that Santonio has been way more productive & could easily be a No. 1 WR for someone else - the question is...who would be the takers?

Seattle has two first-rounders & has been flirting with Brandon Marshall. Miami has needed WRs for forever but only has draft position in rounds 1-4 to offer besides extra picks in rounds 6 & 7. The Chiefs are a possibility with an aging Chris Chambers as the No. 1 & multiple picks in rounds 2 & 5. The Bears have need of a WR like Santonio but have nothing to offer in picks this year. How about trading for Albert Haynesworth? I'm not sure what the contract numbers are, but the 'Skins WRs are crap & Santonio could certainly be a help. Snyder could also give Santonio the money he's going to be looking for.