SteelerNation1
04-09-2010, 11:18 AM
ESPN reporting the DA will announce their decision Monday

Shawn
04-09-2010, 11:19 AM
He will not be charged.

SteelerNation1
04-09-2010, 11:20 AM
ESPN just reported the DA will announce it's intentions Monday at a presser. Keep your fingers crossed folks.

phillyesq
04-09-2010, 11:31 AM
Here is Florio's take. FWIW, I don't think the DA holding a press conference means one thing or another.

D.A. to announce decision in Roethlisberger case on Monday
Posted by Mike Florio on April 9, 2010 11:25 AM ET
On Thursday, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette suggested that a decision as to whether Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will face sexual assault charges could be months away.

As it turns out, a decision has been made in less than a week.

Per multiple reports, Ocmulgee (Ga.) County District Attorney Fred Bright will unveil his intended course of action three days from today.

"The investigation, interviews and report in the Roethlisberger matter have completed and reviewed," Bright said, per the Milledgeville Union-Recorder. "We will be announcing the decision in this case at a news conference to be held on Monday, April 12, 2010 at 2 p.m. in the Baldwin County Courthouse."

Typically, state-court prosecutors don't hold press conferences to explain that charges won't be filed. Prosecutors are typically elected, and the victim typically is a voter. It would make no sense, in our view, for Bright to essentially declare to the world via press conference that he doesn't believe the alleged victim's account, which thereby will alienate the alleged victim and her family -- and create a cluster of folks motivated to recruit and support an opponent the next time Bright runs for re-election. If, on the other hand, Bright will announce an intention to pursue an indictment, he won't have to worry about ticking off any members of the electorate, since Roethsliberger doesn't live there.

Bright, a Democrat, faced no opposition in the 2008 general election. If the office holds (as it typically does) a four-year term, Bright would be up for re-election again in 2012, assuming that he plans to run and that no term limits apply.

Regardless of whether he'll be running again in as little as two years, Bright's position is, at a certain level, inherently political. And it simply wouldn't be politically prudent to hold a press conference aimed at telling the world that one of the locals is lying.

Also, the fact that Roethlisberger has opted not to submit to a follow up interview leaves Bright with a potentially skewed version of the facts. If he believes the alleged victim's account, and if Roethlisberger has said nothing that plausibly contradicts her, there's no reason to do anything other than pursue an indictment.

BigRob
04-09-2010, 11:40 AM
Here is Florio's take. FWIW, I don't think the DA holding a press conference means one thing or another.

D.A. to announce decision in Roethlisberger case on Monday
Posted by Mike Florio on April 9, 2010 11:25 AM ET
On Thursday, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette suggested that a decision as to whether Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will face sexual assault charges could be months away.

As it turns out, a decision has been made in less than a week.

Per multiple reports, Ocmulgee (Ga.) County District Attorney Fred Bright will unveil his intended course of action three days from today.

"The investigation, interviews and report in the Roethlisberger matter have completed and reviewed," Bright said, per the Milledgeville Union-Recorder. "We will be announcing the decision in this case at a news conference to be held on Monday, April 12, 2010 at 2 p.m. in the Baldwin County Courthouse."

Typically, state-court prosecutors don't hold press conferences to explain that charges won't be filed. Prosecutors are typically elected, and the victim typically is a voter. It would make no sense, in our view, for Bright to essentially declare to the world via press conference that he doesn't believe the alleged victim's account, which thereby will alienate the alleged victim and her family -- and create a cluster of folks motivated to recruit and support an opponent the next time Bright runs for re-election. If, on the other hand, Bright will announce an intention to pursue an indictment, he won't have to worry about ticking off any members of the electorate, since Roethsliberger doesn't live there.

Bright, a Democrat, faced no opposition in the 2008 general election. If the office holds (as it typically does) a four-year term, Bright would be up for re-election again in 2012, assuming that he plans to run and that no term limits apply.

Regardless of whether he'll be running again in as little as two years, Bright's position is, at a certain level, inherently political. And it simply wouldn't be politically prudent to hold a press conference aimed at telling the world that one of the locals is lying.

Also, the fact that Roethlisberger has opted not to submit to a follow up interview leaves Bright with a potentially skewed version of the facts. If he believes the alleged victim's account, and if Roethlisberger has said nothing that plausibly contradicts her, there's no reason to do anything other than pursue an indictment.

As a lawyer let me tell you, the DA doesn't hold a presser to say that charges won't be filed. They like the media spotlight when they are prosecuting a big time case.

They do not like the media spotlight when they are not prosecuting a big time case. I really hope I am wrong and would be glad to admit I am when it happens, but Big Ben is going to be charged and then Goodell is going to come through with an indefinite suspension.

This of course does not mean that Big Ben is guilty or will be convicted of the crime.

ANPSTEEL
04-09-2010, 11:44 AM
He will not be charged.

I have no idea, really, what the outcome will be on Monday.

I will say that the article does seem to make sense. Why hold a press conference to announce that you will be doing nothing??

Anyway- Shawn- come on bro- your man crush on Ben is a little obsessive.

I think you are telling yourself all of these things as sort of ... your version of the Secret...

I am a billionaire
My wife is crushingly hot
and she is a freak
I live in a mansion on the Ocean
I spend my free time jetting to London, Paris, and NY- with Mick & the Stones.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

anyway- good luck with all that my friend.

I also hope Ben isn't charged- but concede the possibility that he may be.

:Cheers

RKSteel
04-09-2010, 12:13 PM
BigRob, what you said makes sense. However, being such a high profile case, maybe the DA wants to announce no charges will be filed, explain the facts and to put this matter to rest.

If they don't make a formal announcement and just close the case, don't you think every news outlet would be down there asking for reasons why the case was closed?

SteelBucks
04-09-2010, 12:21 PM
Ugh. If a decision has been made, why can't they just tell us today. I take potentially bad news better on Friday's.

birtikidis
04-09-2010, 12:25 PM
so i wonder how MSM feels about all this.. is he in his moms basement crying yet?

JAR
04-09-2010, 12:31 PM
If there was enough evidence to charge Ben with something, it would have been announced by now, that's what I think anyway.

BigRob
04-09-2010, 12:32 PM
BigRob, what you said makes sense. However, being such a high profile case, maybe the DA wants to announce no charges will be filed, explain the facts and to put this matter to rest.

If they don't make a formal announcement and just close the case, don't you think every news outlet would be down there asking for reasons why the case was closed?

No because he has been unchallenged for re-election in that district. D.A.'s don't purposefully set pressers unless they want to get major pub and face time on camera to let everyone know they are going to "prosecute the yank".

Shawn
04-09-2010, 12:45 PM
He will not be charged.

I will say that the article does seem to make sense. Why hold a press conference to announce that you will be doing nothing??

I think you are telling yourself all of these things as sort of ... your version of the Secret...

I am a billionaire
and she is a freak

Man crush? don't be insulting. Don't let the fact that your points rarely make sense and I call you on them make you hate me.

As a non lawyer type fan...I am hoping for the best. Ever hear of positive thinking? Yeah probably not. IMO, the presser doesn't mean alot one way or the other. When was the last high profile case where there was this much media spotlight simply go away without a press conference? Bueller? Anyone? I can't remember one. Maybe some of our resident experts can educate me.

In a case this large...the DA must explain himself either way. The reason? He can't just let this drop. Too much media attention for him to just say hey...not enough evidence. There needs to be a formal explanation...period. The last thing the DA wants is guess work by the media about his credibility or the credibility of the GBI.

Is it possible Ben is being charged? Sure. Is it possible he isn't? Absolutely. Is it also possible that the girl and her sorority sisters are getting charged? Who knows. It doesn't take a law degree to know everyone here is speculating. I just choose to keep a positive outlook and hope for the best. But, if that's a "man crush" so be it.

Shawn
04-09-2010, 12:49 PM
so i wonder how MSM feels about all this.. is he in his moms basement crying yet?

Are we allowed to bring up his name without a select few having a mental break down? If so, I'll post articles on what he thinks.

MeetJoeGreene
04-09-2010, 12:54 PM

No because he has been unchallenged for re-election in that district. D.A.'s don't purposefully set pressers unless they want to get major pub and face time on camera to let everyone know they are going to "prosecute the yank".

That was my first thought. The fact that he is holding a news conference (IMO) doesn't bode well. I really hope that I am wrong.

JAR
04-09-2010, 01:10 PM
He will not be charged.

I am a billionaire
and she is a freak

Man crush? don't be insulting. Don't let the fact that your points rarely make sense and I call you on them make you hate me.

As a non lawyer type fan...I am hoping for the best. Ever hear of positive thinking? Yeah probably not. IMO, the presser doesn't mean alot one way or the other. When was the last high profile case where there was this much media spotlight simply go away without a press conference? Bueller? Anyone? I can't remember one. Maybe some of our resident experts can educate me.

In a case this large...the DA must explain himself either way. The reason? He can't just let this drop. Too much media attention for him to just say hey...not enough evidence. There needs to be a formal explanation...period. The last thing the DA wants is guess work by the media about his credibility or the credibility of the GBI.

Is it possible Ben is being charged? Sure. Is it possible he isn't? Absolutely. Is it also possible that the girl and her sorority sisters are getting charged? Who knows. It doesn't take a law degree to know everyone here is speculating. I just choose to keep a positive outlook and hope for the best. But, if that's a "man crush" so be it.

Yes, siding with the franchise of your favorite team is a man crush, didn't you know? :wink:

RKSteel
04-09-2010, 01:15 PM

That was my first thought. The fact that he is holding a news conference (IMO) doesn't bode well. I really hope that I am wrong.I'm trying to stay positive, but the guy's a idiot to put himself in this situation.

That aside, what if Ben is charged, whether or not he is ultimately found guilty, innocent or there is a mistrial, would you feelings towards him change?

My 11yr old daughter has a Roethlisberger jersey, if he is charged with sexual assault, she will be probably be getting a new Health Miller jersey.

JAR
04-09-2010, 01:20 PM
Holding a presser has nothing to do with what the outcome will be. If Ben isn't charged and the DA doesn't hold a PC, the media will be hounding him with questions and, FWIW.....

MILLEDGEVILLE, Ga. Baldwin County District Attorney Fred Bright said today he completed his investigation into allegations that Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger sexually assaulted a Georgia College & State University student and will announce the results Monday.

A criminal lawyer not connected with the case said that likely means no charges will happen in the case.

"Had they wanted to arrest Roethlisberger, they would've issued a warrant, not waited for a press conference on Monday," said B.J. Bernstein of Atlanta, one of the nation's most high-profile defense attorneys.

"If they had wanted to send this matter to a grand jury, which is a closed process, they would not have a public press conference to do that," Bernstein said. "Most likely, what we're seeing here is that the district attorney has chosen to drop the matter."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 75686.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_675686.html)

phillyesq
04-09-2010, 01:27 PM
As a lawyer let me tell you, the DA doesn't hold a presser to say that charges won't be filed. They like the media spotlight when they are prosecuting a big time case.

They do not like the media spotlight when they are not prosecuting a big time case. I really hope I am wrong and would be glad to admit I am when it happens, but Big Ben is going to be charged and then Goodell is going to come through with an indefinite suspension.

This of course does not mean that Big Ben is guilty or will be convicted of the crime.

BigRob, if you have experience dealing with criminal matters, I will gladly defer to your judgment and experience on the issue.

I know that the GBI, in particular, was critical of the media. So my hope is that the DA may want to announce that the GBI did a thorough investigation that clears Ben, with the press conference allowing him to defend them before facing any potential media scrutiny. I may well be wrong, but with the scope of this case, I think he'd hold a press conference one way or another.

One last thought -- if Ben was going to be charged, wouldn't you want to file charges first and then hold a press conference?

ANPSTEEL
04-09-2010, 01:30 PM
He will not be charged.

I am a billionaire
and she is a freak

I don't hate you- I don't even know you- how could I hate you???

I think of all the message boards that I visit- the only individual that comes close to being "hated" by me would be HHH.

As far as the "man crush" comment goes-

I was effing with you... you seem to be relentless in you support of Ben.

It's just a message board. Don't take it so seriously.

We have differing opinions on this topic. No big deal.

You think no charges will be filed. I think it is likely they will.

I have never said I think Ben is guilty or innocent - of anything other than stupidity.

Vindrow
04-09-2010, 01:36 PM
Here is an article from teh Pittsburgh trib about this....take it as you will:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 75686.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_675686.html)

BigRob
04-09-2010, 01:38 PM
Holding a presser has nothing to do with what the outcome will be. If Ben isn't charged and the DA doesn't hold a PC, the media will be hounding him with questions and, FWIW.....

MILLEDGEVILLE, Ga. Baldwin County District Attorney Fred Bright said today he completed his investigation into allegations that Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger sexually assaulted a Georgia College & State University student and will announce the results Monday.

A criminal lawyer not connected with the case said that likely means no charges will happen in the case.

"Had they wanted to arrest Roethlisberger, they would've issued a warrant, not waited for a press conference on Monday," said B.J. Bernstein of Atlanta, one of the nation's most high-profile defense attorneys.

"If they had wanted to send this matter to a grand jury, which is a closed process, they would not have a public press conference to do that," Bernstein said. "Most likely, what we're seeing here is that the district attorney has chosen to drop the matter."

Its a controlled environment when you do not hold a presser. You can choose which reporters to speak to, etc. At a presser, you have much less control over questions and who ask them.

I can only speak of my personal experience in TN with criminal matters. I know here the DA often has the case much sooner that it is reported that the case has been turned over to them. In a lot of instances here, the Grandy Jury has already heard the case without anyone the wiser. They will then hold a presser and announce the Grand Jury has handed down an indictment.

However, I am just speculating and I do not know that its the case here. The criminal attorney above may be exactly right.

Djfan
04-09-2010, 01:39 PM

Are we allowed to bring up his name without a select few having a mental break down? If so, I'll post articles on what he thinks.

I would like it if you posted them.

BigRob
04-09-2010, 01:41 PM

BigRob, if you have experience dealing with criminal matters, I will gladly defer to your judgment and experience on the issue.

I know that the GBI, in particular, was critical of the media. So my hope is that the DA may want to announce that the GBI did a thorough investigation that clears Ben, with the press conference allowing him to defend them before facing any potential media scrutiny. I may well be wrong, but with the scope of this case, I think he'd hold a press conference one way or another.

One last thought -- if Ben was going to be charged, wouldn't you want to file charges first and then hold a press conference?

I am just speculating based on what has happened here in TN in my little corner of the woods. It may very well be that he is announcing he is not pressing charges. However, the Grand Jury and the D.A. may have had this case sooner that it was reported that it was turned over to the D.A.

It will be very interesting to see what happens here. It could be that Big Ben has come to a civil agreement with the alleged victim and the alleged victim has stated that she does not want the case prosecuted. It would save the D.A. a big headache. If the case is not prosecuted it will be very interesting if a settlement is announced within a few weeks with the alleged victim.

StarSpangledSteeler
04-09-2010, 01:43 PM
Think about this logically...

Ben has one of the best lawyers in the country (at these types of incidents) and plenty of money to 'get things done'. Ben's $100 million career hangs in the balance. If things looked even remotely like he could be charged/prosecuted, his attorney would recognize the danger and buy his way out. Remember, this not a murder trial, this is a he said/she said possible sexual assault with no 'consummation' (semen). If the girl 'agrees' not to testify, there is no case (see Kobe Bryant Anti-conviction Strategies 101). He is buying her off, plain and simple, case closed. Remember back when the girl mysteriously stopped talking to the GBI/police. Why would she do that if she was going ahead with the case(s)? She would be there every day if they asked, at the drop of a hat. Ben has made zero comments/public sightings since the allegations. He is guilty of something. At least enough circumstantial evidence to go to trial and find out. The FO is concerned for Ben personally and for the franchise. There is way too much money at stake here. Ben is/must buy his way out. As far as the media conference, the DA has to have a conference one way or the other. No way can he write a statement saying, 'We're not going to prosecute' then slip away into the shadows. Plus remember the GBI's 'eating crow' statement. The media has been hounding them to press charges since day one. How would the media be eating crow if he IS charged (as they have been assuming his guilt all along)? Fear not Steeler fans... Ben walks Monday.

JAR
04-09-2010, 01:51 PM
Think about this logically...

Ben has one of the best lawyers in the country (at these types of incidents) and plenty of money to 'get things done'. Ben's $100 million career hangs in the balance. If things looked even remotely like he could be charged/prosecuted, his attorney would recognize the danger and buy his way out. Remember, this not a murder trial, this is a he said/she said possible sexual assault with no 'consummation' (semen). If the girl 'agrees' not to testify, there is no case (see Kobe Bryant Anti-conviction Strategies 101). He is buying her off, plain and simple, case closed. Remember back when the girl mysteriously stopped talking to the GBI/police. Why would she do that if she was going ahead with the case(s)? She would be there every day if they asked, at the drop of a hat. Ben has made zero comments/public sightings since the allegations. He is guilty of something. At least enough circumstantial evidence to go to trial and find out. The FO is concerned for Ben personally and for the franchise. There is way too much money at stake here. Ben is/must buy his way out. As far as the media conference, the DA has to have a conference one way or the other. No way can he write a statement saying, 'We're not going to prosecute' then slip away into the shadows. Plus remember the GBI's 'eating crow' statement. The media has been hounding them to press charges since day one. How would the media be eating crow if he IS charged (as they have been assuming his guilt all along)? Fear not Steeler fans... Ben walks Monday.

He can only buy his way out of a civil suit. It would have been illegal to pay the latest accuser. he can pay off McNulty and get rid of her, but by him fighting it, I believe proves his innocence.

Sugar
04-09-2010, 02:14 PM
Um, maybe it's just me, but I don't think you can buy your way out of a criminal trial. As has been mentioned, a civil suit is very different.

Besides, if BB thinks he has problems now, wait until the word gets out that he's a "payer." He might as well live in a frickin' bubble after that.

BigRob
04-09-2010, 02:35 PM
Um, maybe it's just me, but I don't think you can buy your way out of a criminal trial. As has been mentioned, a civil suit is very different.

Besides, if BB thinks he has problems now, wait until the word gets out that he's a "payer." He might as well live in a frickin' bubble after that.

LOL, it happens all the time. The Victim would have to testify in a Trial. The victim can accept a civil settlement and then stop cooperating in the case with the D.A. Don't fool yourself, people buy themselves out of criminal trouble all of the time.

eniparadoxgma
04-09-2010, 03:31 PM

I would most definitely not. There's a reason this friggin toolbag is banned.

No offense, but if you'd like to read his thoughts I'm sure there are outlets other than this forum for it.

SteelAbility
04-09-2010, 04:13 PM

Wasn't MSM hired by Garland's team of investigators? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-09-2010, 05:42 PM
FWIW Here is my $0.02

- In a case of this profile - especially for such a tiny town - The DA holds a PC regardless of the decision. As mentioned earlier, DAs like the face time and he is not as worried about backlash as others would be since he has run unopposed in the past.

- If charges were to be filed then you would think the the #1 priority would be securing the man charged rather than warning him in advance that you are coming. The worst political blunder would be "We went to Pittsburgh in an effort to bring him back to face trial but he is away on vacation somewhere and we can't find him."

Expect to hear the words "insufficient evidence" on Monday. IMO charges will not be filed.

frankthetank1
04-09-2010, 05:45 PM
well i guess we will know if ben will be suspended after monday. if no charges are filed and ben is cleared no way goodell could suspend him. i dont know why but i have a good feeling about this. how credible is a 20 year old girl who was wasted? hopefully ben dodges a bullet and smartens up. if charges are filed it very well could be the begaining of the end for ben as a steeler

BlackJackGold
04-09-2010, 06:43 PM
I think the DA is ready to prosecute what he feels is a solid case.

That was really quick....

Shawn
04-09-2010, 07:33 PM
I don't need a law degree to know that a press conference doesn't mean they are charging Ben. At worst it's neutral. With many legal analysts coming foward and saying the opposite of BigRob...it confirms that opinions are like acsholes.

I believe Ben will be cleared of all wrong doing...move on without suspension and will learn from his baffoonery. I'm hoping that if they found out this girl is full of ish...that they prosecute her to the fullest extent of the law.

Shawn
04-09-2010, 07:43 PM

Its a controlled environment when you do not hold a presser. You can choose which reporters to speak to, etc. At a presser, you have much less control over questions and who ask them.

I can only speak of my personal experience in TN with criminal matters. I know here the DA often has the case much sooner that it is reported that the case has been turned over to them. In a lot of instances here, the Grandy Jury has already heard the case without anyone the wiser. They will then hold a presser and announce the Grand Jury has handed down an indictment.

However, I am just speculating and I do not know that its the case here. The criminal attorney above may be exactly right.

According to the Trib article the grand jury doesnt meet until July and the prosecutor never asked for a special grand jury to be assembled. So, do you believe the prosecutor is holding a press conference to say the case will go before the grand jury in July? No way...and we both know it. The DA is holding a presser to defend the investigation and the efforts of the GBI. He will be announcing no formal charges towards Ben.

NJ-STEELER
04-09-2010, 07:44 PM

reports out of GA are the opposite of what you "think"

Shawn
04-09-2010, 07:46 PM

reports out of GA are the opposite of what you "think"

That's not what he thinks...he is just doing what trolls do.

NJ-STEELER
04-09-2010, 08:01 PM
**vitually high five** there shawn.

i know you (and me) were 2 of the minority that kept the faith

Shawn
04-09-2010, 09:03 PM
**vitually high five** there shawn.

i know you (and me) were 2 of the minority that kept the faith

Tru Tru 8)

stlrz d
04-09-2010, 09:06 PM
Some peeps here need to start chowing on some serious crow...at least that's how it appears.

NJ-STEELER
04-09-2010, 09:46 PM
Some peeps here need to start chowing on some serious crow...at least that's how it appears.

here's another one from day 1 that never lost the faith.

Flasteel
04-09-2010, 10:07 PM
:Agree

feltdizz
04-09-2010, 10:31 PM
Most people said Ben was guilty of poor judgement.... who said Ben was guilty of a crime? :roll:

BigRob
04-09-2010, 11:22 PM
Hey, all I was doing was going off of personal experience as a lawyer. I still wonder if a confidential settlement with the alleged victim is coming or not. It will be interesting to see.

I am happy that it appears no charges will be filed at this time, but it does not mean that an NFL or team mandated suspension for 1 or 2 games happens. It appears that a full season has been saved.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
04-10-2010, 09:50 AM
Hey, all I was doing was going off of personal experience as a lawyer. I still wonder if a confidential settlement with the alleged victim is coming or not. It will be interesting to see.

I am happy that it appears no charges will be filed at this time, but it does not mean that an NFL or team mandated suspension for 1 or 2 games happens. It appears that a full season has been saved.

Do you mean "DOESN'T happen"?

stlrz d
04-10-2010, 09:54 AM
How do you suspend him if there are no charges?

Basically what you are saying is that any player that goes to a club and is falsely accused of assault should be suspended.

Not happening.

rpmpit
04-10-2010, 10:03 AM

Basically what you are saying is that any player that goes to a club and is falsely accused of assault should be suspended.

Not happening.

Hope you're right, d. But I could see the league saying being drunk and having (consensual) sex with a 20 year old girl in a public place, is probably not a great image booster for the NFL. And the bottom line here is that Goodell is a doosh bag. And he knows he'll get isht from those who think Ben won't get suspended because he's white.

Should he be suspended?? Absolutely not! Will he? I'm not so sure he won't be.

JAR
04-10-2010, 10:05 AM

Not happening.

Hope you're right, d. But I could see the league saying being drunk and having (consensual) sex with a 20 year old girl in a public place, is probably not a great image booster for the NFL. And the bottom line here is that Goodell is a doosh bag. And he knows he'll get isht from those who think Ben won't get suspended because he's white.

How do you know any of that even happened?

stlrz d
04-10-2010, 10:09 AM

Not happening.

There's no proof that he was ever in the bathroom with her though. Only a statement by a friend saying, "I thought she was in the bathroom but the body guard wouldn't let me in."

And all Ben ever said was, "There was contact that was not consummated." He never used the word sexual. That was added by reporters.

There's no proof, no evidence and no case. The commish would be setting a very bad precedent by suspending any player given similar circumstances.

Perhaps I should give him a call and mention this? :D :P

rpmpit
04-10-2010, 10:13 AM
[quote="stlrz d":3iy4na9z]How do you suspend him if there are no charges?

Not happening.

There's no proof that he was ever in the bathroom with her though. Only a statement by a friend saying, "I thought she was in the bathroom but the body guard wouldn't let me in."

And all Ben ever said was, "There was contact that was not consummated." He never used the word sexual. That was added by reporters.

There's no proof, no evidence and no case. The commish would be setting a very bad precedent by suspending any player given similar circumstances.

Perhaps I should give him a call and mention this? :D :P[/quote:3iy4na9z]

My bad, d. For some reason I thought Ben had said that he did have sexual contact with her. Ok, this is good. A suspension by the league would be hard to justify then!

JAR
04-10-2010, 10:19 AM
Damn, Steigerwald is a big time doosh and he thinks PFT is a credible source.

ESPN SAYS NO CHARGES FOR BEN

Good news ESPN says the DA in Georgia will not file sexual assault charges against Ben Roethlisberger

Bad news: Ben wants to date your sister.

http://justwatchthegame.com/blog/

frankthetank1
04-10-2010, 10:34 AM
no way ben gets suspended if no charges are filed. wouldnt holmes get suspended too? he was accused of a crime as well. accusations mean nothing which is why the nfl wont be able to suspend ben. if the steelers wanted to they could suspend him but that would be really stupid. although tomlin did sit holmes a game when he was caught smoking pot in his car

feltdizz
04-10-2010, 10:57 AM
no way ben gets suspended if no charges are filed. wouldnt holmes get suspended too? he was accused of a crime as well. accusations mean nothing which is why the nfl wont be able to suspend ben. if the steelers wanted to they could suspend him but that would be really stupid. although tomlin did sit holmes a game when he was caught smoking pot in his car

I have seen 2 stories on the Holmes incident and about 30 on the Ben incident. Goodell could still act but I wouldn't expect anything more then a handslap.

frankthetank1
04-10-2010, 11:13 AM

I have seen 2 stories on the Holmes incident and about 30 on the Ben incident. Goodell could still act but I wouldn't expect anything more then a handslap.

well if anything is done i hope ben is fined money and not suspended. well if ben is suspended and holmes isnt that wouldnt be too fair

stlrz d
04-10-2010, 11:25 AM
[quote="stlrz d":39tr26rf]How do you suspend him if there are no charges?

Not happening.

Perhaps I should give him a call and mention this? :D :P

My bad, d. For some reason I thought Ben had said that he did have sexual contact with her. Ok, this is good. A suspension by the league would be hard to justify then![/quote:39tr26rf]

No worries man! :)

SanAntonioSteelerFan
04-10-2010, 11:38 AM
I'm not sure it's been established that:

a) Ben was in the bathroom with the girl. Did anyone say that besides the girl or her posse (careful with that spelling!)? If no one said it, who's to say whether that's even true?

b) Ben was drunk (posted above, and probably in numerous media reports). Where's the proof? Was he alcohol tested? If he wasn't, anybody that is saying that is doing it without any evidence. As a matter of fact, I've read statements like "Ben was nursing a beer that night".

c) Ben had sex with the girl. Usually the word Ben used, "consumated", means sex without going all the way, but Ben is not a linguistics major, so for all we know they held hands only.

d) Ben knowingly bought alcohol for an underage girl. Did he buy the drinks? Didn't she have an ID and an armband that said she was 21?

Unless there is undisputed evidence of any of the above (like Ben admitting things [that haven't been reported - is that likely?] in his statement to the police that night, or Goodell/Steelers later; or a blood alcohol test on Ben that hasn't been reported; or ... or ...) I don't see on what basis Goodell or even the team could discipline Ben.

They'd have to discipline 90% of the NFL, and probably Goodell himself, for the things that it can be PROVEN Ben did.

Shawn
04-10-2010, 12:36 PM
I thought the quote was sexual contact that wasn't consummated. Whatever the heck that means. While there are some assumptions being made. As a reasonable man I believe there is a strong likelihood that he was in the bathroom with that girl...probably with promises of a birthday hummer. Maybe we will know something more on Monday.

Shawn
04-10-2010, 12:41 PM
a) Ben was in the bathroom with the girl. Did anyone say that besides the girl or her posse (careful with that spelling!)? If no one said it, who's to say whether that's even true?

I don't think there is any absolute proof he was in the restroom with that girl. I believe it to be so based on the posting of body guards outside of the restroom. I'm not sure that's standard procedure for merely taking a dump for a celebrity.b)

Ben was drunk (posted above, and probably in numerous media reports). Where's the proof? Was he alcohol tested? If he wasn't, anybody that is saying that is doing it without any evidence. As a matter of fact, I've read statements like "Ben was nursing a beer that night".

I don't believe there is anything to lead us to believe he was drunk...and certainly not trashed. I believe the worst eye witness account stated he probably had his buzz on.

c) Ben had sex with the girl. Usually the word Ben used, "consumated", means sex without going all the way, but Ben is not a linguistics major, so for all we know they held hands only.

Unconummated sexual relations...what the heck is that? I would have to assume there was contact with the intent to have sex that never came to fruition but that is merely a guess.d)

Ben knowingly bought alcohol for an underage girl. Did he buy the drinks? Didn't she have an ID and an armband that said she was 21?

I don't believe there is any proof of that. We have a drunk girl with Ben...and Ben saying bitches take my shots. Who knows if underaged drinkers were grouped with the "bitches".

feltdizz
04-10-2010, 12:56 PM
How do you go to 2 or 3 bars and nurse one beer? Not saying he was drunk because Ben looked huge in the photo's so he could nurse 6 beers and still appear sober.

Also have to remember it was the night of the miracle shot PITT game vs. Providence.

I don't see how anyone could nurse a beer after watching that last shot. :Cheers