PDA

View Full Version : Which position is there a run on this year?

ramblinjim
04-09-2010, 09:59 AM
Remember a couple of years ago when teams started making a run on offensive linemen and guys like Gosder Cherilous were selected early in the first round?

What position gets the run this year? Olineman again? I saw a mock draft with Pouncey going to Miami at 12? I cannot fathom someone taking a center that early but maybe someone will get desperate?

I think this year we'll see Dlinemen getting run on early, especially with teams switching to 3-4 schemes. It wouldn't surprise me a bit to see guys like Cody and Cam Thomas going late first and guys like Troupe going early second. Maybe that will push a top secondary guy down to us?

Shawn
04-09-2010, 11:14 AM
It will be DBs this year. There is alot of solid round 2-3 DB talent that will creep up well past their value points. I am predicting a late first early second round run on DBs that is well out of reality. That could spell a problem for the Steelers if they are looking to get Ghee in the second. He very well might not be there.

RuthlessBurgher
04-09-2010, 11:28 AM
It will be DBs this year. There is alot of solid round 2-3 DB talent that will creep up well past their value points. I am predicting a late first early second round run on DBs that is well out of reality. That could spell a problem for the Steelers if they are looking to get Ghee in the second. He very well might not be there.

If not Ghee, then someone should be there for them on day two (if we don't trade up for Haden, that is). Perhaps they take a shot at the upside of Akwasi Owusu-Ansah from nearby Division II Indiana University of PA. On one hand, he could be the next Ike Taylor (Louisiana-LaFayette). On the other hand, he could be the next Ricardo Colclough (Tusculum).

ramblinjim
04-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Perhaps he'll be the next Ike Taylor that can catch? :Cheers

WoodleyofTroy
04-09-2010, 01:14 PM
Should be around 10 WR's picked in the 2nd round (if only Dez Bryant goes in the first). That will push some talent down to us.

RuthlessBurgher
04-09-2010, 01:45 PM
Should be around 10 WR's picked in the 2nd round (if only Dez Bryant goes in the first). That will push some talent down to us.

I doubt 10...I'd say more like 5 or 6. D. Thomas, G. Tate, A. Benn, B. LaFell, D. Williams, and possibly M. Gilyard, C. Mitchell, or A. Roberts.

aggiebones
04-09-2010, 02:59 PM
I think this is one of the better conversations about the draft. Everyone talks about trading up or down to get a specific guy or randomly predicting the draft through talent. But the reality is that runs will dictate this draft as well as all others.
I can't remember which talking head used to work for Bill Walsh early in his career. He did random errands about each team on draft day and he was preparing. He was all worried and stressed about getting things ready for all the teams and Walsh pulled him aside and was laughing at him for being so stressed and he said you only have to worry about 8-10 teams. Point being that most of the teams have garbage personnel departments and might as well use Mel Kiper as their scouting department.
We can only hope that a run occurs. Yes, we might miss out on that position, but it makes all the other positions soo much stronger when we draft. I do agree that 3-4 DL will have a run and it could be a costly one for teams that fall into it. There's always a DB and WR run in the second or 3rd. Everyone wants some fast players out of their draft. As someone already said there is normally an OL run. Hopefully it doesn't start too soon. I am still hoping a couple Ts fall down to the 8-12 range and we can trade into that spot. I'm normally not a fan of trading up and certainly wouldn't do it for a LB like many have hoped. I'd only do it for a tackle who slide due to an extra QB being taken or some other gaff, ala the Raiders. Otherwise let's see who falls.

WoodleyofTroy
04-09-2010, 03:14 PM

I doubt 10...I'd say more like 5 or 6. D. Thomas, G. Tate, A. Benn, B. LaFell, D. Williams, and possibly M. Gilyard, C. Mitchell, or A. Roberts.

Those 8 you named have 2nd round grades (and 3rd), but you have to factor in a team reaching for a WR that fits their system. It never goes in the "player rankings" order. For example a Taylor Price or Eric Decker gets picked before a Brandon LaFell..that leaves a team picking LaFell based on BPA.

And then all it takes is one team drooling over Jacoby Ford's 40 time (4.28), and he's another.

Jom112
04-09-2010, 03:19 PM
I think there will be a run on DT's and OT's in the 1st round.

In the 2nd and 3rd rounds, I think there will be a run on CB's. It's a deep corner back class so I can see teams holding off in the 1st and then when they see top guys like Kareem Jackson still around in the 2nd there will be a run on them...

RuthlessBurgher
04-09-2010, 03:31 PM
I think there will be a run on DT's and OT's in the 1st round.

In the 2nd and 3rd rounds, I think there will be a run on CB's. It's a deep corner back class so I can see teams holding off in the 1st and then when they see top guys like Kareem Jackson still around in the 2nd there will be a run on them...

Yeah, if J. Haden, K. Wilson, and D. McCourty come off the board in round 1, I could see K. Jackson, B. Ghee, P. Robinson, D. Franks, and C. Cook coming off the board in round 2 (and possibly A. Spievey and A. Owusu-Ansah as well).